Forums46
Topics538,972
Posts9,743,650
Members87,132
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Big Orn] #3360382 07/09/12 07:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
We just went way deep..... Where is Confucius

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3360510 07/09/12 08:27 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
We just went way deep..... Where is Confucius

Think you would be better off asking for a pair of these

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3360511 07/09/12 08:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Need chest waders for this crew

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3360544 07/09/12 08:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Deep water scuba suit

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: AmoCuernos] #3360970 07/09/12 10:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
But if you prune the bottom limbs and only leave to top limbs to regrow they can then shade out any new growth on the bottom.

What? ROFL... on a different hedge maybe? But that wasn't my analogy... you can't starve the bottom of a bush of sunlight and make it die when it shares the same root system with the leaves getting sun.

Just depends on the type bush and how the pruning is done to reach the desired results.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3363802 07/10/12 07:59 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Are we still talking about deer? I don't know a lot about deer in general, but I have been observant of the ones under my direct control for the last few decades and I can tell you that amidst the noise of age, annual nutritional variants, and population... culling strategy is a whisper.

You have to have a PERFECT management program to even start to believe that it is making a difference in genetics over the long haul... We have never been perfect.

We like to shoot deer to improve aesthetics. No one likes looking at the 4 year old 7 pointer or the 3 year old with no brow tines... they are a blight on the feeder social gathering, and easier to hit than a raccoon with greater positive effect on the protein feed budget... but you aren't improving genetics by killing them.

If culling worked anywhere near as well as people say it did... then pastures that haven't been hunted in 25 years would be the LAST place that people wanted to lease... instead... those places are the most desired.

Why is that? Surely not shooting 25 years worth of spikes has DEVASTATING effects on the genetics of the deer herd...

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: AmoCuernos] #3363950 07/10/12 08:29 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I don't know about improving genetics, but a mature deer that has reached his full potential and still don't amount to poop, is dead. If nothing else, he won't be eating another deer's groceries.

Last edited by LandPirate; 07/10/12 08:30 PM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: LandPirate] #3364230 07/10/12 09:42 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I just don't like the word "Cull". I think it degrades the deer.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: AmoCuernos] #3364289 07/10/12 10:04 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Are we still talking about deer? I don't know a lot about deer in general, but I have been observant of the ones under my direct control for the last few decades and I can tell you that amidst the noise of age, annual nutritional variants, and population... culling strategy is a whisper.

You have to have a PERFECT management program to even start to believe that it is making a difference in genetics over the long haul... We have never been perfect.

We like to shoot deer to improve aesthetics. No one likes looking at the 4 year old 7 pointer or the 3 year old with no brow tines... they are a blight on the feeder social gathering, and easier to hit than a raccoon with greater positive effect on the protein feed budget... but you aren't improving genetics by killing them.

If culling worked anywhere near as well as people say it did... then pastures that haven't been hunted in 25 years would be the LAST place that people wanted to lease... instead... those places are the most desired.

Why is that? Surely not shooting 25 years worth of spikes has DEVASTATING effects on the genetics of the deer herd...

Kind of a two sided argument...most people don't just use culling as the only management tool. It is part of a combination of tools and practices such as harvesting doe, population control, supplemental feeding, range condition improvements, etc.

Part of one of the places I hunt on has 3500 acres that has had extremely limited hunting pressure in the last 20 years. The side that we have been on and have actually managed the herd has produced consistently better deer. The only difference between the 3500 acres and the 6500 acres is the deer we shoot. No additional supplemental feeding, no additional range management, etc.

Not saying we are changing the genetics of the herd, but we can decide which ones make it to maturity. But, we have seen fewer deer with no browtines, fewer mature 6-7 pointers, and other odd racked deer confused2

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txtrophy85] #3364570 07/10/12 11:41 PM
T
Talisman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
To me a "cull" is a buck that regardless of how much he's fed and how old he may get, will never reach the definition of trophy as established by the properties management plan.

This

And there is no way you can tell what a deer is gonna do at 1.5 years old
My name is Talisman and I approve BOTH these messages.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3364583 07/10/12 11:45 PM
B
Bowman24 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
A true cull is something you need to shoot at any legal time, not something to profit on. We've had lots of spikes turn into 200"+ bucks by 4.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3364600 07/10/12 11:52 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
There's places in ETX that aren't hunted but the deer are catered to and consistently deer hit the 150-170" range....some places are mld with strict mgmt guidelines and a 150" is something for them to talk about; 170 is something for them to not get any sleep over.

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Kind of a two sided argument...most people don't just use culling as the only management tool. It is part of a combination of tools and practices such as harvesting doe, population control, supplemental feeding, range condition improvements, etc.

Part of one of the places I hunt on has 3500 acres that has had extremely limited hunting pressure in the last 20 years. The side that we have been on and have actually managed the herd has produced consistently better deer. The only difference between the 3500 acres and the 6500 acres is the deer we shoot. No additional supplemental feeding, no additional range management, etc.

Not saying we are changing the genetics of the herd, but we can decide which ones make it to maturity. But, we have seen fewer deer with no browtines, fewer mature 6-7 pointers, and other odd racked deer confused2

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Bowman24] #3364601 07/10/12 11:52 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Bowman24
A true cull is something you need to shoot at any legal time, not something to profit on. We've had lots of spikes turn into 200"+ bucks by 4.

Lots??? You have pictures of their progression through the years? I am not being a SA...would honestly like to see.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3364804 07/11/12 12:49 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
98 percent of people on here think or justify what they shot via the word cull....they have no other plan other then protien and culling..

All Amos is saying you keep shootIng no brow tine deer and think they will eventually go away.. THey won't... You only taken them out of the their prospective age class... THey are still going to show up in your younger generations... Only changing the aesthetics temporarily

We like to shoot deer to improve aesthetics . No one likes looking at the 4 year old 7 pointer or the 3 year old with no brow tines... they are a blight on the feeder social gathering, and easier to hit than a raccoon with greater positive effect on the protein feed budget... but you aren't improving genetics by killing them.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Bowman24] #3364814 07/11/12 12:52 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

worthless

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3364822 07/11/12 12:53 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

worthless

Wh eeler whitetails smile

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3364828 07/11/12 12:55 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
98 percent of people on here think or justify what they shot via the word cull....they have no other plan other then protien and culling..

All Amos is saying you keep shootIng no brow tine deer and think they will eventually go away.. THey won't... You only taken them out of the their prospective age class... THey are still going to show up in your younger generations... Only changing the aesthetics temporarily

We like to shoot deer to improve aesthetics . No one likes looking at the 4 year old 7 pointer or the 3 year old with no brow tines... they are a blight on the feeder social gathering, and easier to hit than a raccoon with greater positive effect on the protein feed budget... but you aren't improving genetics by killing them.

And if you continually keep shooting them no browtine bucks when they are 1.5 will they disappear? stir

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3364832 07/11/12 12:56 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

worthless

Wh eeler whitetails smile

worthless

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3364842 07/11/12 12:56 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Why do they keep showing up?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3364849 07/11/12 12:58 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
The bucks will but the genes won't. Does carry half of that part of the equation. You'll never know which ones have it and which don't.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3364851 07/11/12 12:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Who said they do? popcorn stir

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3364861 07/11/12 12:59 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Who said they do? popcorn stir

Damnt now you have me digging

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3364869 07/11/12 01:01 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They always will.... that's the cool thing about recessives, any kids I might have still have a shot of being 6' (they'll eventually shoot a 300wm)

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3364904 07/11/12 01:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
nidea Man now ya'll have given me a new management plan for a future ranch. I will cull all yearling without BT's and all yearlings 5 points or less. popcorn Or I will manage it for 8 points only, cull everything with mainframe 9's or better. clap Should be interesting. popcorn

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3364912 07/11/12 01:11 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'd shoot everything that isn't over 13" for sure

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide