Forums46
Topics543,816
Posts9,803,119
Members87,507
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3350176 07/05/12 06:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
We have been very diligent on our lease in East Texas to remove spikes with at least one, unbranched antler, as well as older deer with thick mass antlers and narrow spreads. Of course we do our best to follow the 13-inch for these older bucks.

We continue to see and harvest some excellent deer with wide racks. But the 13-inch restriction has proven to us that despite what TPWD biologists have told us, there are a lot of deer in East Texas that genetic limitations to the width of their racks.

No question, the 13-inch restriction has been a double edge sword. While it has produced some excellent deer, it has also protected many that should have been consumed sooner than later.

Neither what you are doing or tpwd is doing is a true management plan...its a blanket. its a "better then nothing approach"

if you don't know your cc or density you really just trying to justify using your buck tags by shooting spikes.

You can't call your deer geneticly challenged width wise if you taking deer that have never been able to express themselves...again by doing so you once again are shooting spikes just to say you shot a buck.

I know of very few ranches that have the historical harvest data to say their mature bucks via % wise are width challenged... The ones that have have adapted there management plan by ways to opt out of ar's

Your money your land you can do what ever you want...but you can't agrue it as a management plan if its truly not a full force data backed management

Way too much thought and effort into what is nothing more than a past time activity. Applying common sense to good observations goes a long way.

Besides, isn't the primary goal to provide a meal or is it to grow antlers? No question, what this sport needs most these days are more people who are willing to say "just shoot the %$^& deer and eat it." After all, how stupid would the casual fisherman be if he/she made some of the comments that we do about the genetics in growing white bass?

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Texas Dan] #3350220 07/05/12 07:03 PM
B
Bluegoose Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Cull = anything I dont want on my property

but maybe I'm too simplistic confused2

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Bluegoose] #3350227 07/05/12 07:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Bluegoose
Cull = anything I dont want on my property

but maybe I'm too simplistic confused2

Or better yet, anything that I can legally shoot and eat.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Texas Dan] #3350249 07/05/12 07:13 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Or better yet, anything that I can legally shoot and eat.

Pretty sure you aren't culling at that point.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Texas Dan] #3350273 07/05/12 07:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
We have been very diligent on our lease in East Texas to remove spikes with at least one, unbranched antler, as well as older deer with thick mass antlers and narrow spreads. Of course we do our best to follow the 13-inch for these older bucks.

We continue to see and harvest some excellent deer with wide racks. But the 13-inch restriction has proven to us that despite what TPWD biologists have told us, there are a lot of deer in East Texas that genetic limitations to the width of their racks.

No question, the 13-inch restriction has been a double edge sword. While it has produced some excellent deer, it has also protected many that should have been consumed sooner than later.

Neither what you are doing or tpwd is doing is a true management plan...its a blanket. its a "better then nothing approach"

if you don't know your cc or density you really just trying to justify using your buck tags by shooting spikes.

You can't call your deer geneticly challenged width wise if you taking deer that have never been able to express themselves...again by doing so you once again are shooting spikes just to say you shot a buck.

I know of very few ranches that have the historical harvest data to say their mature bucks via % wise are width challenged... The ones that have have adapted there management plan by ways to opt out of ar's

Your money your land you can do what ever you want...but you can't agrue it as a management plan if its truly not a full force data backed management

Way too much thought and effort into what is nothing more than a past time activity. Applying common sense to good observations goes a long way.

Besides, isn't the primary goal to provide a meal or is it to grow antlers? No question, what this sport needs most these days are more people who are willing to say "just shoot the %$^& deer and eat it." After all, how stupid would the casual fisherman be if he/she made some of the comments that we do about the genetics in growing white bass?

Ok then why did you add your two cents then?

Appling common sense isn't a defined plan, especially if your common sense is wrong when you relate it to deer management...in which you are since your shooting all the spikes you see per your own words with out any herd numbers, or cc, or age class break down and then state your herd has genetic limitations,

Common sense should tell you that if your going to implement a plan, you should at least define what you have or have not, can and can not support first

A thread about what is a cull...referes to being a land steward and manager. Any deer management plan starts with Quality deer program and with increased horn growth turns in to Trophy deer plan.. hind sight you cant have a TD plan with out a healthy herd.

Im sorry you now feel being a land steward is waste of time, good luck with your hunting this year

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3350288 07/05/12 07:25 PM
D
doggey111 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Definitely depends where you're at, what kind of year it is like dry or average or above average, long term goals, etc. I'd say it's definitely not an easily answered question. Too many people just want to kill spikes, and I know people that have raised spikes, first year true spikes, into some incredible animals. I think that's only true if it's a mature spike, with more age, and clearly defined, larger and more massive spikes. Very interesting topic though. Isn't it true the genetic makeup comes from the does side as well? Does anyone know for sure?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3350384 07/05/12 08:07 PM
D
Don Dial Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
I knew when I brought this topic up it was a can of worms..but basically, I agree w/So. Tx Ranchman..I have had about the same
experience w/ranches where we would see 15 or more large spikes on a 2500 acre ranch high fenced...No active culling in progress
and a lot of old barren does...and the State telling them to take
35 to 45 does off the place..and them taking maybe 10 if that..We
finally killed the spikes and thinned the older barren does down
and he got a 26 point buck that scored 226 that yr...The Kerrville State Unit has fed spikes in pens with other bucks and
kept them separated..Irregardless of all of you guys theories, they never make the deer that the bucks that come with forked horns their first full yr. do...And the did this for years ..not
just one ort two seasons...ONE may think GREED plays some part in
some folks thoughts..I have had ranchers that absolutely never want a doe killed, irregardless of how overstocked their property
becomes...Good Hunting...You Guys keep writing..Don

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Don Dial] #3350478 07/05/12 08:44 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm gonna sit this one out and just eat my popcorn

Everyone has different ideas on what they call a cull for their place. All the replies have made this quite interesting and entertaining.

I can tell you that we fenced our place we caught only two does and one buck. That buck had no browtines. Somehow, a buck has showed up on our place that is a fairly nice 10 point. But it doesn't matter because hardly any of them are outside of 13" inside spread. Probably because of too much competition with exotics. I'm not too concerned with selling whitetail hunts so it doesn't really matter too much. And its way too expensive to bring in new genetics to change it and probably not worth it unless we took out 70% of the exotics we currently have.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Curtis] #3350518 07/05/12 09:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Kerr study equals by line breeding a yealing spike to his off spring and its offspring that as a percentage that offspring it will have a lower bc score at maturity then the breeder multi pt yearlings when he line breeds is offspring and their offspring.

Why they didn't cross breed the does between the two And compare offspring I have no idea.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3350879 07/05/12 11:10 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
From what I have seen here some of the bucks that have spikes the first year depends a lot on, when they were born, how much milk the doe had and was she taken out before the buck was weaned. Also as for managing deer. A lot depends on if you are managing for really large deer or for a lot of middle of the road deer. A lot of places that advertise hunts deal more in volume than in 150" deer. I don't know which would make them more money. I know for a fact that many years ago a friend and I had a hunting business in Kerrville. We had quite a few places contracted where we could take people hunting for Whitetail. A few years prior to this the Y.O. Ranch had hired a biologist that told them they needed to get rid of X amount of does which they did. 3 years later during the whitetail season they had a hard time finding deer for their hunters. Back then their selling point was that you were guaranteed an 8 point buck. They started contracting with us to take some of their hunters so they could get their deer. They worked more on quantity than quality back in those days. From an outfitters standpoint do you do better taking a lot of average deer or just a few so called trophies?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: don k] #3351587 07/06/12 03:28 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
I reckon every buck that gets shot is a cull. You just culled him from the herd when you pulled the trigger.

Let'em grow old
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rtp] #3353049 07/06/12 07:23 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
By the numbers, it makes more sense not to shoot spikes than to shoot them if you are trying to have the most possible big deer at maturity. Some people will never understand the math of it. Some people just need something to shoot every year and only feel comfortable managing when they are counting to 2.

You can have a great deer herd shooting spikes. It's in SPITE of shooting spikes though, not BECAUSE of it.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: AmoCuernos] #3353066 07/06/12 07:32 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
By the numbers, it makes more sense not to shoot spikes than to shoot them if you are trying to have the most possible big deer at maturity. Some people will never understand the math of it. Some people just need something to shoot every year and only feel comfortable managing when they are counting to 2.

You can have a great deer herd shooting spikes. It's in SPITE of shooting spikes though, not BECAUSE of it.

Can you elaborate? What age class do you start "culling" at?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: AmoCuernos] #3353079 07/06/12 07:40 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos

Thank you Marko!! That's what I was trying to explain, and your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Eland Slayer] #3353122 07/06/12 07:52 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
So there you have it fellas....two of the most successful deer managers in the country, Jack Brittingham (owner of Briar Lakes Ranch and Rancho Encantado) and the Barrett family (owners of Las Raices Ranch).....neither of whom advocate the shooting of yearling bucks as "culls". These guys have produced some of the biggest deer in the state.

Combine this with Dr. James Kroll's study, which does not advocate yearling spike "culling" either....and you've got more than enough to convince me that it's not the best management strategy.

If you're on the spike shooting bandwagon, you might want to think about it using LOGIC and COMMON SENSE.....instead of the outdated information preached by TPWD and the Kerr WMA study.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Eland Slayer] #3353126 07/06/12 07:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Still won't change my mind though. Sorry. I will stick with my own data and logic on this one.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Eland Slayer] #3353143 07/06/12 07:59 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
So there you have it fellas....two of the most successful deer managers in the country, Jack Brittingham (owner of Briar Lakes Ranch and Rancho Encantado) and the Barrett family (owners of Las Raices Ranch).....neither of whom advocate the shooting of yearling bucks as "culls". These guys have produced some of the biggest deer in the state.

Combine this with Dr. James Kroll's study, which does not advocate yearling spike "culling" either....and you've got more than enough to convince me that it's not the best management strategy.

If you're on the spike shooting bandwagon, you might want to think about it using LOGIC and COMMON SENSE.....instead of the outdated information preached by TPWD and the Kerr WMA study.

So what is...I am still waiting to hear the other side. When do you start culling, and what do you cull?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3353191 07/06/12 08:17 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Let me really screw this thread up. What if you also have exotics? How do you or can you still manage the whitetail to produce good deer? Is there a formula for the amount of a certain type of exotic than can be raised along side whitetail?

Last edited by don k; 07/06/12 08:18 PM.
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3353192 07/06/12 08:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
And don't forget why.. smile

Might want to pm him...he floats a bunch between here ans another site

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3353199 07/06/12 08:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The point that everyone is missing is that two ranches can have completely different goals and plans and both be successful. Neither one would ever change what has worked for them. They both will be extremely happy with their results.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3353220 07/06/12 08:29 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Very true Ranchman. What is bad is that non of the things a person or ranch does will have any results either good or bad for a number of years. It has to be a long term project. People leasing for hunting probably don't have the time, resources,permission from the landowner, or security of knowing they still have a lease for the number of years it takes to evolve.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Don Dial] #3353225 07/06/12 08:31 PM
B
bluelund79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Whatever the land owner states is a cull....if they say its a cull, then Ima gonna kill it

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3353255 07/06/12 08:44 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The point that everyone is missing is that two ranches can have completely different goals and plans and both be successful. Neither one would ever change what has worked for them. They both will be extremely happy with their results.

My question is why not shoot the spikes as culls???

Granted, on many places, there are more critical aspects that must be addressed first. But say everything else is in line like CC, structure, ratio, etc...

If you are going to be culling, why would you wait until they are 3.5, 4.5 or whatever? Why wouldn't you distribute the culls among the different age groups and take the lower end of each. The spikes should be the lower end of the 1.5 yo's...so they should go.

Where is the great flaw in that logic?

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3353274 07/06/12 08:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Some prefer to let every buck get a chance to grow into a trophy of a lifetime to improve the overall herd. Some choose to take out the lower end of every age class to improve the overall herd. In the end one is willing to gamble that one of the culls will be the deer they are looking for. The other is willing to gamble on what they can see in the deer they left after culling. No one will ever know that if the same buck of a lifetime was born into both different plans that he would have been a buck that was left in their respective programs after culling or not.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: don k] #3353275 07/06/12 08:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: don k
Very true Ranchman. What is bad is that non of the things a person or ranch does will have any results either good or bad for a number of years. It has to be a long term project. People leasing for hunting probably don't have the time, resources,permission from the landowner, or security of knowing they still have a lease for the number of years it takes to evolve.

Concur...why on LF its iffy at best...people would be better off in general worry about cc, health and harvest age...and not trying to control genetics. IMO

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide