Forums46
Topics543,814
Posts9,803,102
Members87,507
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349591 07/05/12 03:27 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I am follicaly challenged. I would think there are very few people out there that can age deer on the hoof. They have enough trouble teething them to try to guess their age. To me deer are like people. Some look good at 70 and some look like hell at 45.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: don k] #3349599 07/05/12 03:28 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: don k
I am follicaly challenged. I would think there are very few people out there that can age deer on the hoof. They have enough trouble teething them to try to guess their age. To me deer are like people. Some look good at 70 and some look like hell at 45.

That has been one of the most common discussions I have had with other folks and still struggle with it constantly.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349620 07/05/12 03:43 PM
B
btpatriot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
the only good way to age deer is to watch them grow up any other way (tooth wear and replacement, cementum annuli or aging on the hoof) is just an educated guess, well sometimes educated smile

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Texas Dan] #3349628 07/05/12 03:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
We have been very diligent on our lease in East Texas to remove spikes with at least one, unbranched antler, as well as older deer with thick mass antlers and narrow spreads. Of course we do our best to follow the 13-inch for these older bucks.

We continue to see and harvest some excellent deer with wide racks. But the 13-inch restriction has proven to us that despite what TPWD biologists have told us, there are a lot of deer in East Texas that genetic limitations to the width of their racks.

No question, the 13-inch restriction has been a double edge sword. While it has produced some excellent deer, it has also protected many that should have been consumed sooner than later.

Neither what you are doing or tpwd is doing is a true management plan...its a blanket. its a "better then nothing approach"

if you don't know your cc or density you really just trying to justify using your buck tags by shooting spikes.

You can't call your deer geneticly challenged width wise if you taking deer that have never been able to express themselves...again by doing so you once again are shooting spikes just to say you shot a buck.

I know of very few ranches that have the historical harvest data to say their mature bucks via % wise are width challenged... The ones that have have adapted there management plan by ways to opt out of ar's

Your money your land you can do what ever you want...but you can't agrue it as a management plan if its truly not a full force data backed management

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3349636 07/05/12 03:49 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Forest Lake has the historical data, but they ran on the same mgmt as Boggy.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3349646 07/05/12 03:53 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You can't leave the definition of a cull up to the discretion of the paying hunter. If you do, then the paying hunter will find a way to incorporate that definition into shooting a decent buck. Cull definition would have to be different for each and every ranch. What I cull may be your trophy.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: rifleman] #3349649 07/05/12 03:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Forest Lake has the historical data, but they ran on the same mgmt as Boggy.

Ya that's one I was thinking about when I wrote what I did smile

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BenBob] #3349656 07/05/12 04:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BenBob
You can't leave the definition of a cull up to the discretion of the paying hunter. If you do, then the paying hunter will find a way to incorporate that definition into shooting a decent buck. Cull definition would have to be different for each and every ranch. What I cull may be your trophy.

That is the nature of most hunters to want the biggest or best he can find or get. If he hunting for a deer up to 145 then he wants a 144 7/8. Most hunters who shoot management bucks shoot the biggest one they can find. For the management program the smallest oldest ones need to go first.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3349673 07/05/12 04:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: BenBob

That is the nature of most hunters to want the biggest or best he can find or get. If he hunting for a deer up to 145 then he wants a 144 7/8. Most hunters who shoot management bucks shoot the biggest one they can find. For the management program the smallest oldest ones need to go first.

Boom

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: Navasot] #3349689 07/05/12 04:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I think of a cull as something you dont want to see more of. If you need to take deer out of the herd to get your number down to CC, then take the right # of does, shoot your obviouse culls to me mature 8's and less and when you are left with stuff that all looks good and you still neeed to shoot more then shoot the bottom(antler wise) of the age class.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: redchevy] #3349723 07/05/12 04:27 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Deer hunting and management do not always go hand in hand. A lot of what I hear is like you have all your deer in a pen and you can go into it and separate what you want to keep and get rid of. It doesn't work like that in the real world. You may see a deer one day and then never again until the season is over.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: don k] #3349731 07/05/12 04:30 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Deer hunting and management do not always go hand in hand. A lot of what I hear is like you have all your deer in a pen and you can go into it and separate what you want to keep and get rid of. It doesn't work like that in the real world. You may see a deer one day and then never again until the season is over.

I think that may have been where some of the culling at the younger ages came into play. Much easier to find a 2.5 yo than a 4 or 5 yo. Years of experience and data should be able to tell you the typical outcome of certain traits and you cull based on the average, not the exception.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: don k] #3349747 07/05/12 04:34 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

We run trail cameras year round on feeders both corn and protein, on the tank, on water troughs, and random areas throughout our place, we have a pretty good idea of what is running around and typicaly have a "hit list" of deer to get shot on site. There are alway s a couple new deer that show up during the rut, but it seems to work pretty well for us.

I would also asume being Hi-fence helps, but have no experience with that as we are low fence.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349750 07/05/12 04:37 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I think that most of those who are into removing all the deer that they call inferior are private landowners who do not have any desire to sell hunts. They mangage their way on their land since they can. Most hunters are limited by tags on their license that they can use and guidelines to manage by on a lease.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3349927 07/05/12 05:37 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I think that most of those who are into removing all the deer that they call inferior are private landowners who do not have any desire to sell hunts. They mangage their way on their land since they can. Most hunters are limited by tags on their license that they can use and guidelines to manage by on a lease.

Friends, family and kids like to shoot culls too....

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349943 07/05/12 05:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yes they do but if you have a lease then you have to have a really good landowner that understands what you are wanting accomplish with removing all those deer annually. Most are limited to one/two bucks per spot only.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3349961 07/05/12 05:43 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Yes they do but if you have a lease then you have to have a really good landowner that understands what you are wanting accomplish with removing all those deer annually. Most are limited to one/two bucks per spot only.

True. We have a smart Ranch Foreman grin In our area, the population can get out of control quick, but we have only managed to take 100 does one year since we started managing.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3349971 07/05/12 05:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

X2..

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349976 07/05/12 05:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

True. We have a smart Ranch Foreman grin In our area, the population can get out of control quick, but we have only managed to take 100 does one year since we started managing.

You need that new Matthews Fully Auto Helim they have out. grin It is the Thwackem and Stackem in the Helim line.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3349982 07/05/12 05:48 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
]
You need that new Matthews Fully Auto Helim they have out. grin It is the Thwackem and Stackem in the Helim line.

When are you going to get yours? I have a feeling you are going to be needing some new management strategies.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3349983 07/05/12 05:49 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
ranch I was on a few weeks ago is in MLD and biologist wants them to take 170 does per year, not sure about the buck take. They have signed up for TYHP hunts this year to try to spread out the doe harvest and get help with getting does harvested.
Ranch employees will be over the TYHP hunts.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: txshntr] #3350001 07/05/12 05:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
]

When are you going to get yours? I have a feeling you are going to be needing some new management strategies.

I just impressed he know what Mathews is since they don't make long bows

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3350010 07/05/12 05:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
]

I just impressed he know what Mathews is since they don't make long bows

I went and shot a new Helim in April. Had not shot my bow in 8 yrs now I guess so I did not know what to expect from a setup off the rack for me to shoot. I was actually very impressed with the bow and how well I shot it that day. Even the shop owner was since it was not set for me.

Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3350060 07/05/12 06:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

When we still leased in kendal Co. we were not alowed to bring guests and we didnt have mld. My brother and I filled our 5 tags each a year with does for probably 5-6 years before we got close to seeing what we wanted to. Just that made a difference in the bucks we saw. Its hard hunting a place when you dont have the tags to do what you want and the place had had literaly nothing but bucks shot for the past 80 years or more.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Culls.....Exactly what do you think a Cull is? [Re: stxranchman] #3350110 07/05/12 06:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Very nice!!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide