Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do you have remorse [Re: TxTechsan] #2960142 01/25/12 09:15 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I've let many deer pass because I was enjoying watching their graceful movements and grazing in peace.

This year, each of my grandsons got their first deer. We had prepared all summer going to hunters ed, practicing at the range, and discussing the process from beginning to end.

The younger one shot a doe that did not die instantly. He started crying and said "that isn't fair - they're not supposed to suffer".

I finished off the deer and he apologized for crying. I assured him that I would be concerned if he had not expressed deep compassion for the deer and desire for a clean kill.

On our way to gut the deer, he asked "can I make jerky out of mine?".

I think it was a very successful hunt with many lessons learned for all of us.

Re: Do you have remorse [Re: donswin] #2960371 01/25/12 10:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Remorse? No.

Respect? Yes.

I think some are confusing the two.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you have remorse [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2960830 01/26/12 12:05 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Here's a story I'll share. We were on a hunt for pheasant in the panhandle several years back. There were 8 or 9 of us. None of us new everyone else. Everyone was knew to someone. Anyway we fanned out and walked a field. At one point one of the guys I didn't know shoots a cottontail trying to scamper off and wounds it. He walks up and puts his foot on it, to which it started screaming. Then he laughs. I was sick and mad as hell. To a man, each of the other folks, even his friends turned and walked away from him. I'm not sure a single person said a word to him the rest of the day. He absolutely got the message and I don't think he ever got invited to hunt with any of those guys again. I don't like folks like that and I think it translates to other areas of their life.

Re: Do you have remorse [Re: dfwroadkill] #2963729 01/26/12 10:57 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
No.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Do you have remorse [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2964028 01/27/12 12:43 AM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Remorse? No.

Respect? Yes.

I think some are confusing the two.

x2

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have remorse [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2964331 01/27/12 02:25 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Nice thread. This one hits home for me because of my oldest son. He has hunted and fished with me since he was very young. He took his first deer at age 12. We didnt hunt much through his teen years because he played baseball year round and that was his passion at the time. During college we started hunting again and he shot a really nice buck. A few days later he confided in me that he felt really bad after he killed a buck. I told him, "then dont kill one". Going to the ranch is about way more than killing a buck. It put him at ease and he simply enjoys going and being one of the men in camp. He loves to fish and bird hunt but killing a buck just isnt for him.

Let'em grow old
Re: Do you have remorse [Re: 8pointdrop] #2964515 01/27/12 03:24 AM
C
Chaser42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Kill it, thank God for it, and eat it. That's what I'm teaching my 6 & 4 year old. I understand why some predators and varmints are killed, but mostly I don't agree with killing to kill. All these hogs left in the field really bother me. I understand all of the damage they do. It's past time for the state to ease up the hog meat donation regs and let those hogs do some good. Yes, I have felt remorse. And after some research, I know the deer, bird, or hog I take in the field has it much better than the cow in the slaughterhouse.

Re: Do you have remorse [Re: rtp] #2964526 01/27/12 03:27 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: rtp
Nice thread. This one hits home for me because of my oldest son. He has hunted and fished with me since he was very young. He took his first deer at age 12. We didnt hunt much through his teen years because he played baseball year round and that was his passion at the time. During college we started hunting again and he shot a really nice buck. A few days later he confided in me that he felt really bad after he killed a buck. I told him, "then dont kill one". Going to the ranch is about way more than killing a buck. It put him at ease and he simply enjoys going and being one of the men in camp. He loves to fish and bird hunt but killing a buck just isnt for him.

Just so you know your son is not alone. One of my five kids is of the same mind set. She killed several deer over several years before she decided it wasn't for her anymore. She is still my biggest camper and outdoors kid but she doesn't shoot anymore.

Re: Do you have remorse [Re: KG68] #2964771 01/27/12 04:50 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Exactly, The older I get,the more of a big ol' Teddy bear I become. Killing isn't for everyone and we shouldn't just expect that our kids are going to be OK with it. It's a trial and error type deal. If you are an observant parent and you have talked to your kids beforehand about hunting and death,and they have their hunter safety course behind them then let them decide if it's for them.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Do you have remorse [Re: Erathkid] #2964842 01/27/12 05:20 AM
J
jefeh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I don't feel remorseful after killing an animal. There is a certain humility that I experience. The ability to physically hunt the animal, that I am allowed to hunt a wild animal, the fact that we can hunt with a bunch of different legal methods, and the fact that I pray after killing the animal, thanking god for what I have been given. What I have shared with my sons 13&9 is that while hunting is a right given to us by god, we find ourselves governed by mans laws. That they need to understand there are many places in the world where you do not have the freedom to do what we just did. Enjoy it, cherish it, and protect it. As for helping the boys with their kill, we thank during grace, whoever shot the animal for feeding our family. Some good lessons to be taught.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide