Forums46
Topics538,678
Posts9,739,999
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: nogeese] #2928573 01/14/12 12:56 AM
E
easttexarcher Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
Funny u say that 2 days ago I was hunting a slough and heard action behind me so I went over there and it was another slough with 60 yds of dry lake bed around it. I jumped a bunch of birds so I threw out dekes and sat down. I had birds trying to land on the bank when I was picking them up and toss in to shore and I shot 5 birds sitting wide open by a stump. Public land too. So I can believe it. But they can flare like hell on a bad setup too. Makes ya think though.

Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: easttexarcher] #2928644 01/14/12 01:23 AM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I have been doing really good hunting on a fresh water beach sitting in a folding chair... craziest stuff I have seen in alot of years...

the water is only a few inches deep so the other morning I actually sat in my chair with deeks all around me and shot a limit me and the dog where the only thing for 200 yards smile

I have really been trying to "think simple" for the last few seasons and I am doing just as good or better. As I get older I still love to shoot em but, I am done with the 3 mile death march in knee deep mud to get to them, then spend 2 hours trying to make a blind out of my surroundings.

My decoys are a smattering of what hasent sank or been shot or floated off over the years. Got some flambaus that are probably 20+years old.

I will say the thing that makes me get up in the morning is the dog... seeing her have a blast and learn is really the best part of it now.

I would recomend that you focus on FUN and then worry about all the other stuff, you will learn a little bit more each trip.

good luck in the addiction!!! smile

Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: nogeese] #2928788 01/14/12 02:18 AM
T
TXPredHunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Duck hunting is seriously a ADDICTION!! It my first year as well and its all i can think about. On Jan 29th ill be praying for next season!

Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: nogeese] #2928807 01/14/12 02:25 AM
E
easttexarcher Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
My fall today almost drowned me and gave me a new perspective. I was alone and its my second year hunt in and best day this year til I tripped in 4 ft of mud and water in middle of slough trying to cross 4 a bird. Hope to have a good dog one day. My lab got hit at a yr old. Super smart. Anyhow yeah the hike back to truck was bad dry it was horrible soaked this morning but getn my feet back under me was a relief. I was goin down. Took a good while and me calm in down to get back up couldn't get solid ground under me.

Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: easttexarcher] #2928958 01/14/12 03:40 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I just started duck hunting this year as well. It has really been a blast, not shooting wise but fun wise. Tomorrow my son and I are going out for the first time. He usually opts to stay home but decided to go this time so I am super excited. I have made all of the rookie mistakes, especially turning my head to look vs. scanning with my eyes but I am getting a little better. So far have 2 gaddies, 3 BWT, and a ringer and a boy has a shoveler. The good news is our lab pup is starting to get the hang of it, so hopefully, he will start to bring them back for us. I was also unfortunate enough to get stuck in the mud and had to do the Bear Grills survival crawl on my hands and knees to get out of it. Thanks for all of the good advice so far.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: J78] #2928959 01/14/12 03:40 AM
F
fish4rob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Duck hunting is easy. Don't over think it. You can do everything recommended and never shoot a duck or go freelance and kill them all. I agree that scouting is important, but do it with a gun. Never understood driving an hour and a half to see if there are ducks so that i can drive an hour and a half to come back and shoot them. Best advice is put one shell in your gun at a time. Then you will focus on killing the birds when you know they are good shots instead of just letting 3 shells fly. I got a buddy that would shoot 2 boxes a shell a hunt. I now hand him shells 1 at a time and he dont miss anymore! Good Luck

Re: Basic Duck knowledge/strategies for a newbie [Re: fish4rob] #2929373 01/14/12 01:54 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good information here! up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide