Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2926176 01/13/12 05:53 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It was probably because he got on a last minute, discounted cancelation hunt and the guide expected him to shoot something mediocre and go home. Buddy drug it out the full length and made him go some places the horses couldn't go to get looks at a pocket of rams he saw from the plane on his way in; plus he had words with him on running a camera, so 3 of his 4 sheep hunts are on film.

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Well I'm sure to get beat up on immensely here but here goes.

I have been on several guided hunts in New Mexico for antelope, Wyoming for elk, and the Yukon for sheep,moose,grizzly.

I have never been on a guided Texas whitetail hunt. But I have whitetail hunted in Texas with a rifle and bow for about 40 years so I think I know generally what is involved.It is going to take some serious convincing for me to believe the services rendered by a Texas whitetail guide has much in common with the services rendered by a Wyoming elk guide or a Yukon sheep guide.

I ain't going to do it,but if I paid $10,000 for a 3-5 day 'trophy' hunt and my "guide" gave me the lay of the land,sat with me in the blind, and dressed my deer-he ain't gonna get a thousand bucks from me.

On my Yukon sheep hunt my life was literally in the guide's hands for 10 days in the middle of nowhere and every minute was spent working in furtherance of the hunt-he got the thousand bucks and then some.

I've even heard of guides up there not getting tipped. By the time one of my buddies left from his sheep hunt he was ready to whip his guide and leave him out in the middle of nowhere.

Yep there are bad ones everywhere-and it hurts a ton more when you run into one on an expensive hunt of a lifetime.I feel sorry for your buddy.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: Phantom] #2926632 01/13/12 02:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: brianl
As a guide there is nothing more frusterating than working your butt off for a demanding guy. Trailing his wounded deer till midnight. Clean, quarter and cape deer and them leaving like they have done you a favor for hunting. I have been on both sides as guide and hunter. A tip is a great way to show graditude. I dont guide for the money and have on occasion handed off a ungrateful client to another guide the next year. I can also tell you the better tippers on a return hunt always get more from the guides.

They have done you a favor, they used your services and business which is how you make your livlyhood!

We run a small business, and sure sometimes when somone walks through that door I mumble under my breath... dag nabit why the F dont you just get out of here... etc.. However it would only take a little bit of that and you would be broke and going under. Tracking quartering, putting up with idiots is all part of life and your JOB in that case you charge a fee for it it is your responsibility to make sure your means justify your ends.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2926715 01/13/12 03:10 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

Well I'm sure to get beat up on immensely here but here goes.

I have been on several guided hunts in New Mexico for antelope, Wyoming for elk, and the Yukon for sheep,moose,grizzly.

I have never been on a guided Texas whitetail hunt. But I have whitetail hunted in Texas with a rifle and bow for about 40 years so I think I know generally what is involved.It is going to take some serious convincing for me to believe the services rendered by a Texas whitetail guide has much in common with the services rendered by a Wyoming elk guide or a Yukon sheep guide.

I ain't going to do it,but if I paid $10,000 for a 3-5 day 'trophy' hunt and my "guide" gave me the lay of the land,sat with me in the blind, and dressed my deer-he ain't gonna get a thousand bucks from me.

On my Yukon sheep hunt my life was literally in the guide's hands for 10 days in the middle of nowhere and every minute was spent working in furtherance of the hunt-he got the thousand bucks and then some.

gotta agree with you here, i dont understand guides or outfitters in Texas, id just as well leave out the middle man and book the hunt with the landowner, sit in a blind over looking a pile of corn by myself and pay for what i shoot.
could even hang the price tag on the deer for me.

Last edited by vanguard; 01/13/12 03:11 PM.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: KWood_TSU] #2927438 01/13/12 06:42 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
Originally Posted By: nado2036
At some of the prices I have seen these trophy hunts for I would have thought they were all inclusive. I mean the avg that I see are around $200-$500 and the kill fees are just crazy. I mean for what I understand of the trophy white tail hunts you just tell them what size deer you want to shoot and they put you in the stand that they think you will be most successful in. So I guess I dont understand what they are really guiding you to?

Because we had to sit in those blinds for two months to see what stand those deer are coming to. That's why you payed for the hunt, so you don't have to scout. And let me tell you, when it is 100° outside, it is a lot hotter in a blind with no wind to cool you off.

And when I guided, I got paid $1200/month, so tips were a big plus.

Then that was your choice to work for someone else that pays you $1200 a month. Were room and meals also included what about a truck to drive around in? Did you get to hunt for free also? I have a live in nanny for my kids and I pay her $1800 a month. That includes Room, Meals, Electricity, Cable, and cell phone as long as she takes care of my kids. So if you were making $1200 a month with all that included that was your choice. By the way I am on your side about the tipping but dont cry me a river about what your pay is when you chose the job.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2927462 01/13/12 06:50 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I do more than sit in a blind and tell you what deer to shoot. I educate the hunter on deer behavior, age,characteristics,etc. that they can take with them and use in the future.

I also keep them from shooting to small a deer that they would not be happy with.

I have to pull a lot of hunters off small bucks because they perceive them as large and haven't experience ground shrinkage alot

So you sit in the stand and try to upsale them on the deer??? Its like saleing a car?? You dont want that one you want the one with the crome package on it.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: nado2036] #2927479 01/13/12 06:54 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I do more than sit in a blind and tell you what deer to shoot. I educate the hunter on deer behavior, age,characteristics,etc. that they can take with them and use in the future.

I also keep them from shooting to small a deer that they would not be happy with.

I have to pull a lot of hunters off small bucks because they perceive them as large and haven't experience ground shrinkage alot

So you sit in the stand and try to upsale them on the deer??? Its like saleing a car?? You dont want that one you want the one with the crome package on it.

hehehe,
no disrespect to trophy85 but if i wanted to hear someone talk i can listen to myself, im good at it hehehe i sure aint gonna tip to listen to it.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: vanguard] #2927487 01/13/12 06:57 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I mean come on!!!! You are going to sit me in the stand and tell me what deer I want then you want me to tip you??? I have caped, gutted many a deer and I know how to follow a blood trail also.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: nado2036] #2927502 01/13/12 07:03 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
thats one reason i kinda dont like guides, they always tell you about everything there is to know about hunting or they do everything for you cleaning the deer capeing the deer ect. I just enjoy all the little stuff like that and if im not doing it im not that happy with the hunt.

It good for the guide to help and all but i dont need anyone telling me about shooting this or that or anything like that.

The perfect guide IMO would be a guy that acts like a buddy and just jokes around like on a regular lease. i know thats hard for guides to act like that when theres alot of new hunters that dont know anything about the woods so i can understand them doing and explaining everything to the hunters

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: DSST_Construction] #2927680 01/13/12 08:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
You guys have it all backwards.

People who live in Texas typically don't buy package whitetail hunts. Out of state hunters do.

Most know diddly about whitetail or hunting in general. I guided a 52 year old man to his first deer this morning. Never been hunting before in his life. Someone like that needs a guide

In any case, on the ranches I hunt. I'm there to help the land owner, not the hunter. Most guys can't age or score a deer, do I'm a buffer to keep them from shooting to young a deer.

As for the upsell comment, it's a sad thing to let a newbie shoot just any deer only to get back to camp and see the freezer full of mature bucks.

But y'all should already know this, seeing how wise and learned y'all are about the ways of whitetail and the pursuit of them

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2927760 01/13/12 08:28 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I understand the people that do these package hunts but your are putting them in a deer blind at a trophy ranch. So feeder goes off then you say we dont want you to shoot this one but you can shoot that one or that one.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2927852 01/13/12 08:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You guys have it all backwards.

People who live in Texas typically don't buy package whitetail hunts. Out of state hunters do.

Most know diddly about whitetail or hunting in general. I guided a 52 year old man to his first deer this morning. Never been hunting before in his life. Someone like that needs a guide

In any case, on the ranches I hunt. I'm there to help the land owner, not the hunter. Most guys can't age or score a deer, do I'm a buffer to keep them from shooting to young a deer.

As for the upsell comment, it's a sad thing to let a newbie shoot just any deer only to get back to camp and see the freezer full of mature bucks.

But y'all should already know this, seeing how wise and learned y'all are about the ways of whitetail and the pursuit of them

What you describe is exactly what I picture in a Texas hunting "guide".As you freely admit, you are there for the landowner,not the hunter. No offense,but I believe a better term for what you do would be "babysitter".

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2927877 01/13/12 09:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
this is getting goooood popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: KillinSwede] #2927882 01/13/12 09:08 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I tip 20%

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2927925 01/13/12 09:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Well I guess I would be,if I took infants to the blind.

I'm sorry I'm not your ideal Montana jack mountain guide

I put hunters on deer. I get paid well, tipped well and enjoy my time

Sorry if that dosent fit your broke back mountain hunting fantasy of what a guide should be

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2927938 01/13/12 09:24 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Sorry if that dosent fit your broke back mountain hunting fantasy of what a guide should be
rofl You should take me hunting for free popcorn

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2927958 01/13/12 09:28 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

You admit you are paid well already, Im not going to tip on top of it.

Last edited by redchevy; 01/13/12 09:57 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guides and Tips [Re: pokerj2] #2927964 01/13/12 09:29 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I am changing my position the farther this goes. Tipping on one of your hunts is like tipping the beer guy at the ball game. If your going to charge me $8.00 for a beer you aint getting a fing tip.
Alao if you give me twoo days to scout before my 3 day hunt i think i will be able to find the deer also or what some of these places do is just ring the dinner bell and they come running.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: redchevy] #2928010 01/13/12 09:44 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Is it too late to jump in on this?

I've hunted my whole life for free on our family place and also paid an arm and a leg for some great (and some not so great) leases) over the years. This year 5 of us booked a guided hunt - it was the best 4 days of hunting I've ever had. Guides were phenomenal and busted the a$$es the whole time -- these guys were very generous with their time, knowledge, and effort and were a lot of fun to hang out with too. Consequently, were very very generous with our tips. Even went as far as buying the ranch manager custom boots from Leddy's.

Make no mistake about it - It's a service industry. If your not getting treated that way, youre with the wrong outfit. Good service gets rewarded. Great service is rare and deserves it all the more.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: nado2036] #2928100 01/13/12 10:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I am changing my position the farther this goes. Tipping on one of your hunts is like tipping the beer guy at the ball game. If your going to charge me $8.00 for a beer you aint getting a fing tip.
Alao if you give me twoo days to scout before my 3 day hunt i think i will be able to find the deer also or what some of these places do is just ring the dinner bell and they come running.

After listening to your responses it has become clear that you could not afford to come hunt on these type ranches, so I'll never have to worry about receiving no tip from you

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: txtrophy85] #2928128 01/13/12 10:19 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Its not about affording it is about prioritizing. For skipping your type of hunts i can have my season tickets to the Astros and Texans and also afford a nice deer lease. Insteadof going somewhere where a wind bag scouts deer that come running to a feeder everytime it goes off. That is called shooting fish in a barrel.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: nado2036] #2928148 01/13/12 10:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm glad you enjoy sitting in a stadium watching other people live out their dreams.

For some people, they enjoy being in nature and not living vicariously through others.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: nado2036] #2928154 01/13/12 10:24 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

I'm not a believer in tipping some pimple-faced beer guy. However, if that same beer guy keeps coming around and is attentive and goes the extra mile, maybe offers you a napkin, or flags down the hot dog dude for you ...or if the beer guy is a good lookin beer gal, there might be some tipping involved.

Remember, the beer man can always spit in your beer when you are not looking if you've been ungrateful.

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: RedSnake] #2928194 01/13/12 10:36 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
He must be over on the Astros forum

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: RedSnake] #2928240 01/13/12 10:48 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Ok so if i dont pay for one of your over priced PETS then i am living thru someone else? I have my own business and i do not work for someone else. I do not get to bitch to a bunch of people that I am not appreciated. You are griping about ppl not tipping when you admitted you already getpaid well. But youexpect a little something extra for doing your fing job. That right there is what the guys on wall street said. That is what is fundamentally wring with ppl today. today. I see ppl like you all the time. I did a good job today sir and i say good job. I shouldnt have to tip you to do your job.my

Re: Guides and Tips [Re: RedSnake] #2928263 01/13/12 10:55 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Ok so if i dont pay for one of your over priced PETS then i am living thru someone else? I have my own business and i do not work for someone else. I do not get to bitch to a bunch of people that I am not appreciated. You are griping about ppl not tipping when you admitted you already getpaid well. But youexpect a little something extra for doing your fing job. That right there is what the guys on wall street said. That is what is fundamentally wring with ppl today. today. I see ppl like you all the time. I did a good job today sir and i say good job. I shouldnt have to tip you to do your job.my

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide