Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: to2000] #2745882 11/12/11 07:34 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I've only shot 9 bucks since 2005, it's been some down years.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Navasot] #2745919 11/12/11 07:53 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Originally Posted By: adam_p
another thing, I started hunting when I was 10 or so and aside from an accidental spike, I didn't shoot a buck until I was 16 or 17.

Some people are just impatient and cry when they dont get there way....they call thereself meat hunters to give them a reason to pull the trigger... bang im done with this thread

Apparently, your way of hunting should be everyone's way. But before you go, read my sig line.....bye!

Last edited by Curly; 11/12/11 07:54 PM.
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Curly] #2746299 11/12/11 11:54 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Before AR's on our place in Freestone county, using game cameras as a survey, we had about a 50%-50% mix among the bucks. Half being shooters, or near shooter status, and the other half being younger bucks. And we were fairly close to 1:1 ratio buck to doe.

3 years into AR's, we now have about 75% young bucks, and the other 25% are barely shooter bucks, most of those being right at the 3.5 yr old mark best we can tell. And about a 3;1 ratio, bucks over doe.

I understand the thought process that these young bucks will grow to be older, but we were doing just fine before AR's. Now it's like we're being forced to start all over again with management. And if the trend continues, we are going to be in serious trouble with the buck to doe ratio, and there will end up being a greater level of competition for breeding. I can see where the competition will bode well for the big bucks getting to breed. But this will result in a lot of broken tines and antlers. So much for the big pretty racks?

I think, and it's just speculation, that since AR's were brought in, more people are now taking doe during bow season than they were before AR's to insure they get meat in the freezer. No antlerless permits required during archery season. And I can see where, if this is the case, then the doe population will suffer over the long run.

AR's are just stupid to me. People that wanted to kill anything with horns should expect to kill nothing but little deer. But people like us, that were doing what we could with a small place to manage our herd for good horns, are now compelled to use a management system that is fundamentally flawed from the start. We were seeing the results we expected before AR"s, after roughly 10 years of killing on average less than 2 deer a year off the place. We were getting resident bucks of nice quality, and striking a balance between the doe and buck population. Then the glorious TPWD steps in and forces their agenda on us, and here we are. My humble opinion....they need to stick to stocking lakes and just stay out of the game management thing all together.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: psycho0819] #2746362 11/13/11 12:35 AM
T
to2000 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Amen!!!!!! Less government and more common sense would go a long way. I hope the folks that enforced this AR crap read this. We don't need the government to hold our hands and tell us what should be a personal choice.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: to2000] #2746394 11/13/11 12:48 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: to2000
Amen!!!!!! Less government and more common sense would go a long way. I hope the folks that enforced this AR crap read this. We don't need the government to hold our hands and tell us what should be a personal choice.

I agree, remove all laws and regulations.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: to2000] #2746487 11/13/11 01:28 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Adam_p good for you that you chose to hunt 7 years without shooting a buck. Does that make you a smart hunter???? Sounds like to me you need to just watch deer on tv because you arnt interested in shooting one. People watch the idiots on hunting shows and try and learn from them how to hunt. Half of their shows are fake re filmed bs that they get people to believe that is the way their hunt went down. If you prefer to not shoot a buck great for you just saves more for those of us that like to hunt and shoot and don't give a crap about it being a "trophy". Get over you modern day I'm a trophy hunter crap. If somebody wants to shoot a 8in wide 4 point then it shouldn't be anybody else's business. Navasotbreed from your pics. you post I would say you like to pull the trigger just as much as the next guy.

I didn't choose not to shoot a buck, I never had an opportunity in that time period. Y'all are making it sound like the ARs are making impossible to kill a buck. It was pretty damn hard when I was a kid and there were no ARs back then. I hunted, Young, Wise, Cooke, Jack, Kimble, and Burnet counties in that time frame. So I was hunting were quite a few deer live, and didn't have a chance to kill a buck.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: psycho0819] #2746507 11/13/11 01:34 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Before AR's on our place in Freestone county, using game cameras as a survey, we had about a 50%-50% mix among the bucks. Half being shooters, or near shooter status, and the other half being younger bucks. And we were fairly close to 1:1 ratio buck to doe.

3 years into AR's, we now have about 75% young bucks, and the other 25% are barely shooter bucks, most of those being right at the 3.5 yr old mark best we can tell. And about a 3;1 ratio, bucks over doe.

I understand the thought process that these young bucks will grow to be older, but we were doing just fine before AR's. Now it's like we're being forced to start all over again with management. And if the trend continues, we are going to be in serious trouble with the buck to doe ratio, and there will end up being a greater level of competition for breeding. I can see where the competition will bode well for the big bucks getting to breed. But this will result in a lot of broken tines and antlers. So much for the big pretty racks?

I think, and it's just speculation, that since AR's were brought in, more people are now taking doe during bow season than they were before AR's to insure they get meat in the freezer. No antlerless permits required during archery season. And I can see where, if this is the case, then the doe population will suffer over the long run.

AR's are just stupid to me. People that wanted to kill anything with horns should expect to kill nothing but little deer. But people like us, that were doing what we could with a small place to manage our herd for good horns, are now compelled to use a management system that is fundamentally flawed from the start. We were seeing the results we expected before AR"s, after roughly 10 years of killing on average less than 2 deer a year off the place. We were getting resident bucks of nice quality, and striking a balance between the doe and buck population. Then the glorious TPWD steps in and forces their agenda on us, and here we are. My humble opinion....they need to stick to stocking lakes and just stay out of the game management thing all together.

Post of the year nominee.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2746711 11/13/11 03:04 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

"stick to stocking lakes...."

Unfortunately, TPW no longer sells fish for private stocking. The state only provides fish for public waters now, as I discovered the other day. Figures.....

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: dawaba] #2746773 11/13/11 03:27 AM
M
mjkhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
All ya gotta do is get on MLD land (to circumvent the rules that are forced upon the majority of the population). Just takes more land than I have (time and money too). Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone who is on an MLD program. I wish I could. But circumventing the rules that the majority of hunters in this state have to follow seem like total BS to me.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: mjkhunter] #2746883 11/13/11 04:16 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I just wish that TPWD would give us a stamp - or hell even make it a purchasable one, I'd pay for it. Sort of akin to the "Bull Red" stamp would allow a hunter to harvest a mature whitetail buck in AR counties that doesn't make the 13" - as long as you haven't used all your regular buck tags. Hell, I'd even go along with it to automatically void any other buck tag for use in that counting when you use the mature buck stamp.

I've got a 3.5-4.5 year old buck on my place that I've watched the last 2 nites. He's only a 7 pointer - his mainbeems go up instead of out so he has a high rack instead of wide - I don't think he'll make 13" and though I asked him if he would be still while I measured, he did not want to comply.

Tonight I watched him put a scrape in my darn food plot then proceed to freshen a scrape not 20 yards from my blind - not to mention hounding the does all evening...uggh...

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 11/13/11 04:19 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2748604 11/13/11 11:39 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

I'll second that!

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: helomech] #2748610 11/13/11 11:42 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: helomech

I disagree, just redo the stupid ones. grin

Last edited by Curly; 11/13/11 11:43 PM.
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Curly] #2748625 11/13/11 11:49 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Curly

That is a very long list also. We would be left with only a few.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: helomech] #2748636 11/13/11 11:52 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Curly

That is a very long list also. We would be left with only a few.

cheers

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide