Page 1 of 2 1 2
duck lease input needed #2640713 10/07/11 07:41 PM
S
salex Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I posted the same post in the lease section of the THF, but wanted to make sure I reached as many duck hunters as possible to get as much feed back as possible. Thanks.

We currently lease access to more than 70 private lakes. We are considering opening some of these to duck hunters in 2012. We are always looking for input from potential members so that we meet the needs of our members. Your input will help shape our business model. Our intentions are to make between 10-20 of these lakes available to our members. Most lakes would be 10-40 acres in size. You would be able to hunt any of the lakes by making an advanced reservation. The lake would be yours and yours alone for the duration of your hunt. Most lakes would have a simple blind for you to use. We would monitor the "pressure" on each lake; much the same way we do for fishing. Most lakes will have a food source like Japenese Millet planted both Spring and late Summer; when neccessary. Like anything some lakes will hunt better than others. You would have full access to any and all lakes. Probably no dove hunting included. You may hunt as often as you like. There will be no daily access fee , like the fishing side of our business. All lakes would be within 2.5 hours of DFW. What would you like the guest policy to be? Obviously, the issue of two people sharing a membership is what we are trying to avoid. We want members to bring guests, but not share a membership. Your input will make us better at what we do. We will not have any lakes available for 2011-2012 season.

What would you expect to pay for the lease?
What are the expectations with blinds? Do you want them or do you prefer your own pop up or similar?

Visit us for your duck hunting adventure.
Private Duck Hunting in Texas
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2640744 10/07/11 07:57 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Well you get what you pay for so without price point you really do not know what to expect as far as access availability blinds etc.

I will tell you on a 40 acre lake. You would need several blinds to deal with wind etc. So in that case I would expect several low end blind enough to fit 2, 3 guys safely etc.

Again with price point comes food.

Wide array of issues. But I would say if you stay within 2.5 of Dallas advertise to your existing customer base then to online forums. You can about name your price. Dallas folks pay more than most regions would.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: ducknbass] #2640850 10/07/11 08:31 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
you would prolly need to have several "guides" because people get lost, leave shells laying around, drink, and any number of things. as time goes on you would be able to tell who is legit to send out on their own,
you would need to have some sort of booking criteria as the hot spots will be an issue... I think your fishing prices would be a tad low... I assume you could very easily get $1000.00 per gun. I would start off next season only getting about 20 to 25 members and after that season have the ones you trust take out the other members.
as far as guest... if you let people go by advanced booking and you do not monitor it you could be opening a can of worms.

you can also have memberships where they can only hunt even or odd days if you think price point would be an issue.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: nogeese] #2641170 10/07/11 10:42 PM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Alot of outfitters sell "group memberships" where you can have up to 5 guns per membership. The group must hunt together. If a member of the group can't make it, a guest can be brought that hunt to fill his spot (up to 5 hunters). One or two members of the group is the contact for that group. Probably makes it easier to deal with than a bunch of individuals.

You can get $5000 per group membership.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2641238 10/07/11 11:25 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: salex

How many ducks do you see on these lakes during hunting season? That right there will drive your price. If you have a lake that never holds ducks, then no one cares about that lake it is worth $0. If you have a lake that is loaded with ducks all hunting season, especially mallards, you will be able to get top $.

I think what water turkey says is a good number, $1,000 per gun. +/- depending on how many ducks and how the membership is run. I'm gonna be hard pressed to pay more than $1k on any lease, I will try new leases, and if I do not like it, I wont be back. At the end of the season I like to look back and figure out how much I paid per good quality hunt, $30 I feel like I got a good deal, $50 ok, $75 too much.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Guy] #2641917 10/08/11 11:25 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Most don't allow guest on an opening weekend.
Your going to need to scout the lakes during the week, so you can put them on the ducks. If they haven't been to that lake before, you need a guide to meet them and take them to the spot.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Guy] #2642439 10/08/11 04:33 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Guy

How many ducks do you see on these lakes during hunting season? That right there will drive your price. If you have a lake that never holds ducks, then no one cares about that lake it is worth $0. If you have a lake that is loaded with ducks all hunting season, especially mallards, you will be able to get top $.

I think what water turkey says is a good number, $1,000 per gun. +/- depending on how many ducks and how the membership is run. I'm gonna be hard pressed to pay more than $1k on any lease, I will try new leases, and if I do not like it, I wont be back. At the end of the season I like to look back and figure out how much I paid per good quality hunt, $30 I feel like I got a good deal, $50 ok, $75 too much.

$75 will barely cover the blackclouds smile

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2643708 10/09/11 03:00 AM
R
romie8 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
why would anyone think 1000 dollars for a season of duck hunting only, is acceptable. This upstart venture should make it affordable for the average guy. Combining fishing and duck hunting as a type of membership may get me to pay a little more but 1000 is crazy. Guests: The second time the same guest hunts could have that guest pay a daily rate. Could have a separate rate for father and son combo. How much is a lease for the fishing membership now? You don't aways have to charge what desparate people might pay. There are other ways to make money. I say make it affordable and have memberships drawn each season as members drop out or new areas are available or if you have too many applicants. (once a member you could stay a member each season)

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: romie8] #2643824 10/09/11 03:42 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
For a $1000. per gun this is what you should be getting on a membership lease.
Ponds that are scouted.
Blinds in place.
Be able to hunt any day as long as you give 2-3 days notice.
Wells to pump in water.
Hunt duck, goose. crane and dove.
Have a guide (with dog) available for a fee.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: romie8] #2643828 10/09/11 03:45 AM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Price is set by supply/demand. It's called capitalism. There is a huge demand for duck leases in Texas. Could probably get $2000/gun for that kind of water.

Plenty of guys would pay that much.

Last edited by Water Turkey2; 10/09/11 03:46 AM.
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Water Turkey2] #2643892 10/09/11 04:17 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Our executive group gets every one of the things I mentioned above.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Water Turkey2] #2643904 10/09/11 04:23 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Water Turkey2
Price is set by supply/demand. It's called capitalism.

Yeah... What HE said!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2643990 10/09/11 05:26 AM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The bottom line is .. you get what you pay for. I know a rice farmer who has a 3 acre pond and leases it out to 1 man from the city. That man pays $4,000 a season just to hunt ducks on a 3 acre pond right outside Eagle Lake. If you are producing limits on every hunt or your hunters are seeing tons of birds and getting close to limits, charge top $ to lease the land. If someone says they don't like the price and its too high tell them to go hunt somewhere else. Its all about the quality of the hunt. I know tons of hunters that do not mind paying a lot of money for a hunt as long as it is a good shoot. Also, if you charge per hunter and allow them to bring 1 guest you will make more money that way and possible promote your club to future hunters.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: STXHO] #2644019 10/09/11 06:10 AM
L
lakesteak123 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Y'all are nuts!!! 1000$ to shoot some ducks!!???!!?? That seems way to much money to me for a membership. But then again i hunt public water for the challenge not the numbers. If you can get 1k per hunter just during duck season...that's great for you! But if i paid 1k i better be at a maxum of one bird shy of a limit everytime. But that's just me...i guess im just kinda a cheap ace! Good luck in your endeavors!

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2644486 10/09/11 03:03 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
How many members are you going to allow?

Will there be mandatory work days?

How are many tanks are you going to have 10 or 20?

How will you ensure a tank isn't over hunted?

How deep are the tanks, will I need a dog, or will there be a small boat to retrieve birds?

Will you be able to keep them filled or will it depend on rain?

Is there going to be a lottery for who hunts which tank?

How many people can hunt on a tank at one time?

What type of cover will there be?

Are the blinds going to be portable?

Will there ever be restictions on type of birds you can shoot, other then following published TPWD guidlines?

Will there be any restrictions on shell type, ie Hevi shot only?

Will there be any restrictions on decoys, such as no Mojos, or you have to use mojos?

Will there be year long access?

Will there be a camp or camp site?

If so, is there an additional charge to stay at the camp or camp site? Also, can you bring a non-hunter, e.g. your camp cook?

Will the camp or camp site have running water, electric, and toilet?

Will this be a family oriented lease?

If so, will their be an additional charge for family flat rate, or price per family member?

If family members get an associate membership (non-voting), and hunt, will that family member count as a guest in the blind, or will the paying member be aloud to bring a guest and have the family member in the blind?

On the subject of guest, I'd say limit how many times a guest can come and how many times you can have a guest?

The intent would be to prevent a member from using the place to exchange hunts and run a small guide service on the side.

Also, if two members bring a guest, who has priority over the blind, if it exceeds the number of folks that can hunt (safty and quality hunt)?

Might want to make a reservation system for guest, with the reservation having to be two weeks in advance.

Well, I've got to get ready for Church, but I'll revist the thread later as I think of some other things.

[Linked Image]
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Hopedale] #2645049 10/09/11 07:34 PM
S
salex Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks to all for the input. Your opinions, comments, and questions will help shape which direction we go. Please keep the comments coming. We hope to have an announcement by January of 2012.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2645096 10/09/11 07:54 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Haven't thought of anything else, but are you standing up a new lease, or setting up a business for folks to come and hunt birds?

[Linked Image]
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: nogeese] #2645851 10/10/11 12:39 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: nogeese
Originally Posted By: Guy

$75 will barely cover the blackclouds smile

You spend $75 per hunt on blackcloud? eek2

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Hopedale] #2650612 10/11/11 01:16 PM
S
salex Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Haven't thought of anything else, but are you standing up a new lease, or setting up a business for folks to come and hunt birds?

Hopedale, I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'm not sure how to address it properly. However, we plan to make some of our leased lakes available for duck hunting in 2012-2013. It will be a members only club, with no day hunting. I am looking for feedback on what waterfowl hunters expect and or want. I know this is a broad statement with lots of factors. But, I thought I would ask, read what others had to say and make some decisions to shape our business model.

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: salex] #2651449 10/11/11 05:50 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I guess my question should have been stated as, will the members have a real voice in the lakes, or is this more of a business model like joinging the gym?

When you join the gym, the club rules are already in place. You get full use of the equipment and facilities, but you really don't pick out the hours of operation, type of machines purchased, etc.

Based on the number of lakes you have, I'd suggest some creating a solid communications plan, as folks don't want to show up to a lake that is over crowded. That is what public is for.

[Linked Image]
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Hopedale] #2651564 10/11/11 06:26 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I respect the guys that don't want to pay $1000. I'd just say keep fighting that good fight on the public spots. I've been there and done that and have been doing it long enough that fighting for a spot isnt the challege I'm interested in. As others point out...it's supply and demand and the market will set the price. I think the $1000 price point for that area is ok...hell maybe low. If it was panhandle or praire you would have less demand but DFW area...there will be lots of demand.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Marcstar] #2651577 10/11/11 06:30 PM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I want to duck hunt out of the pirate ship at Vicotry Hills

http://www.privatewaterfishing.com/properties/view/victory_hills

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Water Turkey2] #2651954 10/11/11 08:23 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Been there, done that too....too bad Garrett is selling his boat or maybe he would have taken you this season. I always thought he was a little over the top making me wear the black eye patch.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Marcstar] #2652051 10/11/11 08:52 PM
T
Tx Geese Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Been there, done that too....too bad Garrett is selling his boat or maybe he would have taken you this season. I always thought he was a little over the top making me wear the black eye patch.

eeks333

Re: duck lease input needed [Re: Tx Geese] #2652147 10/11/11 09:17 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Yeah TxGeese...I bet yall had no clue what kind of goofball maniacs would be hunting down there with you. Of my group me and my dad are the only normal ones...Gary (GDogg) is ok but you have to keep an eye on Garrett and maybe both eyes on Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide