Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: Sniper John] #2601773 09/22/11 01:49 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
My Brit was not just a pointing dog and retrieved too. She was also an excellent dog to have on dove hunts, but I think the point is that though some dogs can do multiple tasks, every breed has a particular one that it does best on average. Labs for retrieving waterfowl, Pointers for pointing upland game for example. A Lab can be trained to whoa on upland game and a Pointer can be trained to retrieve. But if you mostly hunt waterfowl, one would be best off with a Labrador, or if one mostly hunts upland birds, they would be best off with the Pointer because that is what each of those breeds where originally bred for. Take my Vizsla for example I hunt waterfowl less than 50% of my hunting time. She was easily trained to water retrieve and the breed does have some roots related to water retrieving but it was never the main purpose of the breed.
Even though my dog does the job, there are many breeds better designed for it that can do it better. If I mostly hunted waterfowl, A Vizsla would never be my first breed choice.

Oh, I completely understand the premise and agree. However, folks should understand that these hunting dogs are very special animals, even within the realm of canines. They can, and will, do almost anything they are properly trained to do. Don't put your Lab or Pointer or Retriever in a "box" and assume they are so specialized that they cannot be very versatile, regardless of breed.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: reeltexan] #2601875 09/22/11 02:15 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
[quote=Sniper John]My Brit was not just a pointing dog and retrieved too. She was also an excellent dog to have on dove hunts, but I think the point is that though some dogs can do multiple tasks, every breed has a particular one that it does best on average. Labs for retrieving waterfowl, Pointers for pointing upland game for example. A Lab can be trained to whoa on upland game and a Pointer can be trained to retrieve. But if you mostly hunt waterfowl, one would be best off with a Labrador, or if one mostly hunts upland birds, they would be best off with the Pointer because that is what each of those breeds where originally bred for. Take my Vizsla for example I hunt waterfowl less than 50% of my hunting time. She was easily trained to water retrieve and the breed does have some roots related to water retrieving but it was never the main purpose of the breed.
Even though my dog does the job, there are many breeds better designed for it that can do it better. If I mostly hunted waterfowl, A Vizsla would never be my first breed choice.

Oh, I completely understand the premise and agree. However, folks should understand that these hunting dogs are very special animals, even within the realm of canines. They can, and will, do almost anything they are properly trained to do. Don't put your Lab or Pointer or Retriever in a "box" and assume they are so specialized that they cannot be very versatile, regardless of breed. [/quote

I agree with this point also. Look at it this way. Labs, German Shepards, and many others are trained to find people drugs and all sorts of different things. They become seeing eye dogs. If the dog is willing, no matter what breed it is, it can be taught to do it. These are perfect examples of teaching a specific dog a job and it was never bred for it.

Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: duckkhunterr] #2601880 09/22/11 02:16 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I must say we have had some great conversations here within the last week. Nice to see people share their opinions and ideas and nobody's feelings get hurt. Lets keep this up.

Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: Fooshman] #2602014 09/22/11 02:59 PM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Your going to get like me. That's how I got the name Labrador Point Kennels.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: duckkhunterr] #2602770 09/22/11 07:46 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: duckkhunterr
I must say we have had some great conversations here within the last week. Nice to see people share their opinions and ideas and nobody's feelings get hurt. Lets keep this up.

Refreshing, isn't it? Shows it's very possible to disagree without being disagree-able!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2602798 09/22/11 07:53 PM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
We all love our dogs and the things we hunt. Hard not to get along with folks like that.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2604412 09/23/11 12:33 PM
H
huntkp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Refreshing, isn't it? Shows it's very possible to disagree without being disagree-able!

I know for someone like myself that's in the market for a dog it helps to see various opinions without someone getting snippy because not everybody agrees with the way they do things. It seems to make it a much more informative topic for everyone.

Re: OK, You Upland Hunters.... [Re: huntkp] #2607723 09/24/11 10:53 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: huntkp
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

I know for someone like myself that's in the market for a dog it helps to see various opinions without someone getting snippy because not everybody agrees with the way they do things. It seems to make it a much more informative topic for everyone.

X2. It's nice when great ideas and equally great conversation isn't squelched by negativity. I believe that's what these forums are for. Thanks, y'all!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide