Forums46
Topics538,078
Posts9,732,737
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: vanguard] #2556920 09/04/11 02:34 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Hope I can get a better shot....

My question to follow up, if a head shot is unethical, how is a neck shot ethical? There's lots more kill area in a head shot than a neck shot.

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: Gravytrain] #2556924 09/04/11 02:36 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I agree with just about everyone, thanks for your answers.

I have one more question:
with a well constructed .308 bullet, would a shot just below the tail (into his exit if you will) pass all the way through to vitals at under 150y?

Bullet's I'm considering are:
165gr Nosler Green Tip *have
150gr Speer Soft Point Boat Tail *have
165gr Barnes TSX Boat Tail *would have to buy
155gr Berger Hunting VLD *would have to buy

Don't rule out the factory load FEP308C from Federal, a Federal Premium with a 165 gr Sierra Game King boat tailed soft point.... a very accurate and very effective whitetail round.

And after the client clipped an Axis high, the texas heart shot was perfect as a day ender....

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: vanguard] #2565889 09/07/11 10:50 PM
B
BIGTEN 155 7/8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I would agree with just about everything that has been shared so far , if its a doe fire away , if its a spike fire away , if its a hog definitely fire away , but taking the risk of injuring a trophy buck that could very well be the only chance of a lifetime is not worth an unethical attempt.However as stated the choice is yours

I love the Great State of Texas and the opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, "All things are possible through Him that strengthens me!"
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: BIGTEN 155 7/8] #2565948 09/07/11 11:22 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: pigkiller1
I would agree with just about everything that has been shared so far , if its a doe fire away , if its a spike fire away , if its a hog definitely fire away , but taking the risk of injuring a trophy buck that could very well be the only chance of a lifetime is not worth an unethical attempt.However as stated the choice is yours

I disagree with that. Last season I was hunting with my 11 year old son and a doe came to the feeder. I could instantly tell that she did not look right. She kept sticking her nose to the corn on the ground but could not pick any up. I told my son that he needed to use his last tag to take out that doe because something was wrong with her. So, he did. Turns out that deers bottom jaw had been shot off. That was enough to convince me to never shoot at the head whether it's a doe or a trophy buck. If you would have seen that doe trying to eat I'm sure you would agree.

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: BIGTEN 155 7/8] #2566049 09/08/11 12:09 AM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

I don't understand how it's unethical to shoot a trophy buck in the head but not a doe or spike to me if i only saw that buck that one time i'd probably put it right between the eyes

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: BowSlayer] #2568035 09/08/11 09:07 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

I disagree with that. Last season I was hunting with my 11 year old son and a doe came to the feeder. I could instantly tell that she did not look right. She kept sticking her nose to the corn on the ground but could not pick any up. I told my son that he needed to use his last tag to take out that doe because something was wrong with her. So, he did. Turns out that deers bottom jaw had been shot off. That was enough to convince me to never shoot at the head whether it's a doe or a trophy buck. If you would have seen that doe trying to eat I'm sure you would agree.

Absolutely. That's my biggest argument with this whole topic, trophy or not. It's about respecting the animals we hunt enough to take ethical shots. Someone said it earlier in the post, but the deer's head moves so much and so quickly, you just never know. Sure, if you shoot them perfect in the head, they'll die, but you've got no room for error, none.

Certainly to each his own, but if you've ever seen a deer without a bottom jaw because some drunk jackass hillbilly can't shoot or thought it'd be cool to do it, you'd feel the same way, I promise.

Mud Shark

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: vanguard] #2568079 09/08/11 09:27 PM
U
urbnat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Wouldn't take the head shot for sake of, as mentioned, blowing off a jaw or destroying an antler. Wouldn't take the rear shot because, reaching the vitals or not, you will more than likely explode the guts and have one heck of a nasty mess on your hands. Not to mention, destroy the hams or to high and bye-bye tenderloin. On a tropy, broadside or quartering behind the shoulder is your best bet. On a meat deer, the head or neck or behind the shoulder. Please respect the deer you hunt.

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: urbnat] #2568863 09/09/11 02:32 AM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Head shots are not my thing, but do have friends that have taken them and they do get the job done.

Ahh the Texas heart shot, effective? Yes! Messy? Oh Yes!

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: don k] #2568868 09/09/11 02:35 AM
F
fishhound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Wide range of replies and probably all correct in different scenarios.

Alot depends on how confident you are at taking a head shot at 75 yds. I wouldn't think twice if he was a true trophy and standing still and I had a good rest.

Free handed....Different story.

Last edited by fishhound; 09/09/11 02:35 AM.
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: fishhound] #2568873 09/09/11 02:37 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would never try to hit a deer in the head with my bow.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: Texas Dan] #2568881 09/09/11 02:41 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
I think it's unethical to take head shots at deer, but that's a whole different story. But I'd take my chances at a neck shot if I think I could get a clean kill. To me, it's about respecting the animal, nature, and ethics and morals of hunting more than taking the "trohpy". I sure do get excited when I've killed my big bucks, but that's not why I hunt. It's all of the other things that you're able to experience during the process.

If that makes sense.

That's my opinion as well.

And mine as well.

Like turkey beards, I only keep the antlers of any buck that I take for the memory of having done so.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: vanguard] #2575393 09/12/11 03:08 AM
M
Mountain hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Seen at least two animals with jaws that were jacked up from a poor shot and the animals ended up starving to death.

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: don k] #2575612 09/12/11 04:26 AM
B
bigbuck1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
If I want to take the deer then I take the shot. Who decides it's not ethical???? I would never try to tell someone to pass up a big buck because some one thinks it's unethical.

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: urbnat] #2575656 09/12/11 05:02 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: urbnat
Wouldn't take the head shot for sake of, as mentioned, blowing off a jaw or destroying an antler. Wouldn't take the rear shot because, reaching the vitals or not, you will more than likely explode the guts and have one heck of a nasty mess on your hands. Not to mention, destroy the hams or to high and bye-bye tenderloin. On a tropy, broadside or quartering behind the shoulder is your best bet. On a meat deer, the head or neck or behind the shoulder. Please respect the deer you hunt.
urbnat,I like your answer.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: urbnat] #2578370 09/13/11 03:56 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: urbnat
Please respect the deer you hunt.

x1000

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: don k] #2578437 09/13/11 04:56 AM
22_mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I have hunted for along time and took many different shots. I thought a neck shot was the best way for yrs because they where lying where you shot them. I was shooting a 7mag and shot a nice deer in the neck,Im disabled drove up to the deer got off my atv and pick him up and looked at his horns went and got my 2 nephews to help me and when we got back no deer just a little blood .never seen that before or again

Eddie Whitefield
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: bigbuck1] #2578496 09/13/11 07:43 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: bigbuck1
If I want to take the deer then I take the shot. Who decides it's not ethical???? I would never try to tell someone to pass up a big buck because some one thinks it's unethical.

good point, i know people that try to shoulder shoot deer and end up blowing a leg off or gut shooting the deer and never finding it.

Its all up to the hunter, if he feels like he can make the shoot all the power to him. i would feel confident with shooting a deer in the head because ive done it without a problem befor, but if its a true trophy i would wait him out see if he would show me his neck so i could drop him.

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: DSST_Construction] #2580131 09/13/11 09:36 PM
J
Jordanp252 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have always thought head shots were a faster kill shot, I won't shoot a wall hanger in the head though. I came up hunting in NC, a lot different than here in TX. I look at it as if you hit it in the head you most likely kill it asap. If you miss the head in most cases you will miss the deer. If you miss the lungs/heart in most cases you hit a leg or guts and it will run off and never be found.. Just my opinion...

BTW I have learned no head shots on deer with a bow..

Last edited by Jordanp252; 09/13/11 09:41 PM.
Re: Would you take a close distance shot that ruins the trophy, or let him go? [Re: Jordanp252] #2580202 09/13/11 09:59 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Like many others, I don't like head shots. Seen too many deer with nothing left to hold their tongues in. Like many other methods of hunting, there are people that are highly capable of executing the shot but when it goes wrong, it goes way wrong. Never had an issue shooting one in the neck. I have killed many deer with a neck shot and never lost one. Texas Heart Shot...no way!!!

As far as being unethical, I guess it would depend who is behind the gun.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide