Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Stump_jumper] #2535962 08/26/11 06:25 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I hunt in Throckmorton and we have rattlers everywhere. Killing copperheads as a child on my grandparents place in Parker County was a regular experience. Their house was on a point of a hill, about 4 acres of which was surrounded by fencing. They watered this area every day. The rest of their couple hundred acres obviously was not watered. Copperheads would visit just about every night while cooling down in the plush, damp grass. One night my grandfather killed 23 copperheads. He knew nobody would believe him so he threw all of them in a box and took them up to the dry cleaners he owned to show the patrons. We have pictures somewhere. I wish I had one with me to post.

There was also a very large snake den on the adjacent property to his, but we had complete access to it. We'd regularly have snake hunts when the family got together. All in all, hundreds of rattlers were killed out there over the years.

Interestingly, I've never seen a corral snake in the wild.

Last edited by FWSoccerDad; 08/26/11 06:25 PM.
Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: FWSoccerDad] #2535966 08/26/11 06:26 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
If I'm not mistaken, isn't it almost the time of year for rattlers to start breeding?

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: FWSoccerDad] #2536076 08/26/11 06:58 PM
M
MikeBillington Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Rattlers breed in late March through April and give lifebirth in late August through September. Right smack in the middle of dove season. That's why you need to be careful where you step and put your hands during dove season. We have rattlers in an enclosure and one female just gave birth to 7 babies. Cute as a button but oh so deadly. eeks333

Last edited by MikeBillington; 08/26/11 06:59 PM.

Evelyn and Michael Billington
BILLINGTON RANCH TAXIDERMY
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy (LIKE us on FB)
Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: MikeBillington] #2536222 08/26/11 07:41 PM
E
Elkman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Would love to find a place to hunt them.All I have here is cotton moth and copper heads,

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Elkman] #2536236 08/26/11 07:47 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Out around our family land, we have killed tons of copper heads, I cant count the amount of times I've been walking along, looked down, only to see one of the lil bassterds sitting between my legs.

I have killed a bunch of cotton mouths as well, most if not all of these have been in the creek or in a tank somewhere. They use to be real common aruond there, but I havent seen one in a while (and I know the difference between a cotton mouth and a water snake)

As for rattlers, my uncle killed one. That is all we have seen out there.

I killed one coral snake I found one night hunting by myself as a kid. It was lying in the middle of a dirt road and took a 20ga to the face.

I have seen a few rattle snakes out around gonzales though.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Closed Traverse] #2536265 08/26/11 07:56 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
i'm completely aware that 99% of the time people claim to have seen a cotton mouth, they really saw a water snake. But how do you tell the difference between the two? I've tried figuring this out but no luck.

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Out around our family land, we have killed tons of copper heads, I cant count the amount of times I've been walking along, looked down, only to see one of the lil bassterds sitting between my legs.

I have killed a bunch of cotton mouths as well, most if not all of these have been in the creek or in a tank somewhere. They use to be real common aruond there, but I havent seen one in a while (and I know the difference between a cotton mouth and a water snake)

I killed one coral snake I found one night hunting by myself as a kid. It was lying in the middle of a dirt road and took a 20ga to the face.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: FWSoccerDad] #2536272 08/26/11 07:58 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: FWSoccerDad
i'm completely aware that 99% of the time people claim to have seen a cotton mouth, they really saw a water snake. But how do you tell the difference between the two? I've tried figuring this out but no luck.

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

moccasins are black. most water snakes arent. They have different shapped heads, cottonmouths are short and fat witha pointy tail, water snakes are long and slender.... once u know how to tell the difference, it wont take two seconds before u know for sure what is what.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Closed Traverse] #2536279 08/26/11 07:59 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Cool. Thanks.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: FWSoccerDad] #2536284 08/26/11 08:01 PM
E
Elkman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
The cotton mouths I have killed in Canton are not that big most are about 3 feet long and fairly big around with a bad attitude, jet black and have a cotton colored mouth and they do stink, the smaller ones will vary in color, most of the posinous snake have diamond shaped eyes except for the coral snake and they are round.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Elkman] #2536322 08/26/11 08:16 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
great info. thanks.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Stump_jumper] #2536458 08/26/11 09:05 PM
D
DeerSmokeScreen.com Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Smiling Mallard...

Is that a ball python? Nice little snakes.

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2537239 08/27/11 01:33 AM
Steve
Steve
Originally Posted By: Tactical_Smurf
corals are one of the rarest poisonous snakes in Texas because of dwindling numbers and their reclusive nature, that being said IF you get venom delivery from a bite it can be very serious as it is a Neurotoxin. Although it is hard to get venom delivery from them as they have a very small mouth and smaller teeth so they have to chew on small fingers to get delivery, in addition most coral snakes I have seen where very very docile snakes so its more rare to be bitten by one.

Texas has somewhere in the neighborhood 12-15 sub species of rattlesnakes.

Bites from copperheads are probably one of the most common and least dangerous as there venom is not as toxic as other poisonous snakes.

Very refreshing to see someone here that has atleast some knowledge of domestic snake species. In a former life I was a co-owner of a company that imported various reptiles for research and for the production of anti-venon. We also would catch domestic species for the same purpose and do house calls for snake removal.

I've owned atleast a dozen Texas Coral snakes and all were extremely doscile. God has a twisted sense of humor giving an animal the infinite ability to kill and then making them highly unlikely to bite. This is true with most of the extremely toxic snakes, they just tend to not bite unless severely molested.

I would bet good money that I have owned just about every snake species that you are aware of, both foriegn and domestic.

Chupa

Re: Snake Infestation - Alert [Re: Elkman] #2537263 08/27/11 01:40 AM
T
TGO Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Elkman
The cotton mouths I have killed in Canton are not that big most are about 3 feet long and fairly big around with a bad attitude, jet black and have a cotton colored mouth and they do stink, the smaller ones will vary in color, most of the posinous snake have diamond shaped eyes except for the coral snake and they are round.

Yep, they emit a foul smell that is hard to describe but you never forget it. They are short and stubby and that white cotton mouth when they are pissed off or about to bite.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide