Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,745
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Rob Lay] #2367740 06/13/11 08:33 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
this past season while hunting in Alabama on Christmas Day (afternoon hunt) I opened the door to the "shooting house" and had (4) flying squirrels as company for 2.5 hours....a lot of fun (not really) watching these little guys walk/crawl up, down and across the rafters checking me out the whole time

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: ctonsmitty] #2367787 06/13/11 09:18 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
A half of a joint. I figure the landowners kids left it behind.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2367964 06/13/11 10:57 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Two citizens of Mexico in a 20ft tower blind

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: majekman] #2367985 06/13/11 11:12 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: majekman
Two citizens of Mexico in a 20ft tower blind

Been there done that compliments of WEBB COUNTY......SCARY!!!!

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2368046 06/13/11 11:50 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Lets see....

1. Had a hawk fly in an open window while I was asleep in the blind, that made for some fun foot to talon combat.

2. One night I went out of the cabin and came back in to find a big barn owl flying around, that was a fun rodeo chasing it out with a pool stick.

3. Went up to a blind and found the windows open inside was a camo face mask, grunt call, sent wafers, hat and empty .243 casing....he must have heard us coming and hightailed it out of there.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2368074 06/14/11 12:02 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Several blinds every year have either buzzards or barn owls with their babies. Last year, I guess an owl brought a live snake into the blind. Cleaned out the blinds about 4 weeks ago, and the owls left a lot of decapitated field rats inside. Had to pull all the carpet and office chairs out. Need to power spray them the next time I'm out there. The storms from several months ago had knocked out the plexiglass windows which allowed the arial vermin to destroy the clean blinds

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Tye] #2368294 06/14/11 01:56 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I looked up on the ceiling of my blind on MY property and someone spray painted a big ole penis. Made it very difficult to concentrate on the hunt.

Last edited by Palehorse; 06/14/11 01:58 AM.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Palehorse] #2368316 06/14/11 02:07 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I looked up on the ceiling of my blind on MY property and someone spray painted a big ole penis. Made it very difficult to concentrate on the hunt.

dont fall asleep with your mouth open, thats for sure!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Bonner] #2369317 06/14/11 06:23 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
An entire nest of squirrels. They were trying to run me out all morning. Squirrel season runs concurrent with deer season. Came back with a pellet gun for the evening hunt. Squirrel and gravy next morning for breakfast!

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Bear Charge] #2374842 06/17/11 09:05 PM
W
waddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Wasps, rats and a big raccoon. Climbed my ladder stuck my head in and we were looking eye-to-eye. He was fat and jumped out of the broken window he used to get in. Dropped straight to the ground and took off running. Those are some tough buggers.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: waddy] #2375180 06/18/11 12:27 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I climbed up in a 15' ladder stand to go eye to eye with a 4' rat snake on the platform. It was faster than me and made a quick get away up into the tree. I sat down and about 30 minutes after sun up it tried to sneak down past me. When I went to guide it away from the stand with my bow it just "jumped" to the ground. It bounced.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: waddy] #2375195 06/18/11 12:36 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Found some spent casings from calibers no one on our lease used. Found an owl's nest because the shooter of the above-referenced casings didn't care to close my windows. Found a Heineken bottle filled with cigarette butts. I don't drink Heineken or smoke. One of our hunters found the landowner's father-in-law in his stand with his gun and a cooler of beer. That was the beginning of the end on that place.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #2375622 06/18/11 04:56 AM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Built a ground blind with an old booth seat bolted to two trees bout 2-3 ft off the ground. Covered thick with brush. It was deep in the woods in the bottoms for hog hunting bout 40 yards from the feeder. Decided to climb in bout 30 min before sun up. And I imagine the boar that was in there had just bedded down. Maybe only 100 lbs. But big enough to make you drop your gear and jump straight in to a tree escpecially after you step on him. I still can't find the cord for my varmit scope light. I think he stole it. confused2

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: East] #2375631 06/18/11 05:07 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
We had a stand on one lease that was in need of some repair that we did not ger around to, like door and windows, but it was still a 4X4 boxblind on a 10 ft tower which was not hunted much.

Little to my knowledge one of the guys has left 100lbs of corn in that stand the week before. Plenty of cover scent in in when I went to hunt that stans sell before daylight one morning as he local racoon population had turned that 100lbs of corn into what looked and smelled like 100lbs of racoon S^&t. Needless to say I hunted elswhere that morning.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: kmon11] #2375635 06/18/11 05:11 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Owls and ring tail cat for me.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: BMD] #2375641 06/18/11 05:16 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BMD
Owls and ring tail cat for me.

X2 and wasp

Worse one was a screech owl that I didn't see until it screamed and flew out the window.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #2376057 06/18/11 04:36 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
Found some spent casings from calibers no one on our lease used. Found an owl's nest because the shooter of the above-referenced casings didn't care to close my windows. Found a Heineken bottle filled with cigarette butts. I don't drink Heineken or smoke. One of our hunters found the landowner's father-in-law in his stand with his gun and a cooler of beer. That was the beginning of the end on that place.

Left a nice place in Hamilton county for that reason.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: passthru] #2376523 06/18/11 09:43 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Opened a box blind to find a nest of baby buzzards. They actually look like goslings. It smelled horrible.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Savage388] #2376926 06/19/11 02:30 AM
W
WRIEMER Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
About 3 years ago my father-in-law invited me on a turkey hunt in south Texas, outside of Falfurrias. This was only my second time to hunt turkey. I was set up in some brush, essentially wearing a ghillie suit, everything covered except for my eyes. I was alone. About an hour in a look to my right through some brush and small trees and observe a set of legs walking my way. It surprised me because I did not expect my father-in-law to come so early and from that direction. Soon 1 pair of legs turned to 2 sets and then 3 and so on. Soon I had about 10-15 illegals about 30 yards from me. They started filling water bottles up at the watering hole I was hunting. I decided to stay put. I had 3 shells in the 12 gauge pump I was hunting with and I grabbed 3 more to hold in my hand under the barrel. For awhile I just observed hoping they would move on but after 10 minutes and young man walked away from the group right towards me. I assume he was trying to relieve himself. He got to about 10 feet away from me and I finally decided I needed to stand up before he walked right over me. So I jump up with gun in hand looking like a relative of the Swamp Thing. I'm not sure what to tell him so in my best Spanish I told him and his friends to run away. He stands frozen for a bit, he probably soiled his pants. Finally I shouldered my shot gun and tell him in plain English to get the *%#! out of here. Finally his group runs and then he high tailed it after them. Needless to say I was scared and rattled a bit. I have not returned to hunt down there since and I hear they still have problems. Two years ago a small female child was left behind because she was too weak and that same year a ranch hand was killed by illegals.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: WRIEMER] #2377188 06/19/11 05:13 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I was up in an open tripod chair stand way before daylight. A big tree was right behind the stand. Sitting there minding my own business when I heard a loud "HOOT" right behind me. A big owl was sitting on a branch about two feet behind my head. Scared the crap out of me and nearly dropped my rifle.

Another time a bird flew into a box stand with me at high speed. Not sure what kind of bird it was, but things got kind of animated until he found his way out again.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Bonner] #2377656 06/19/11 04:31 PM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
wasp,coon,owl. I check with a flashlight shining though the window's before I climb up.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: TEXAN1970] #2387393 06/24/11 02:39 AM
T
Texasbdog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Lots of wasps, owls and the like but one stands out. My son and I arrived late at night, got up early and went to the stand. we were in a 4X8' ground stand and my son shot a deer just after daybreak, while we were waiting for the deer to pass, my son says, Dad look at that, and in the corner was a turd about 6-8" long with some paper right next to it. The weather had been cold so I thought a wetback had left us a present. We got out of the blind pretty quick after that and went back to camp to get a truck, mentioning to my brother in law what we found in the stand, he and his buddy had to see this, so off we went. When we got there his buddy goes into the stand to take a look, picks it up and throwes it at my son. He almost did a back flip and they were dying laughing. As it turns out it was a piece of sausage that had fallen onto the coals and they set us up. We got him back but not near as good.

" What lies behind you and what lies before you are of little consiquense when compared to what lies within you"
R.W.E.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Texasbdog] #2387721 06/24/11 11:06 AM
H
Hunt Texas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I actually laughed out loud at the post above this morning! Thanks for starting my Friday off on the right foot! Sounds like the kind of stuff we did on our lease. Fun times!

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Hunt Texas] #2388031 06/24/11 02:33 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Not near as the ones above -

Before I had the new blind, one late afternoon one fall, I was putting carpet over my window openings for something soft to lay my gun barrel on and not make any noise when getting ready for the shot. My blind was 4' off the ground with straight steps and the door was opened. I was busy cutting and attaching the carpet then all of a sudden I started smelling a skunk. I looked out the front and side windows to see if one was walking around the blind and couldn't see anything. I heard a noise that was repetitious and really couldn't make it out but also the smell got stronger. Still I looked out again and nothing. Smell and noise was louder and I closed the door to the blind.

Still putting the carpet on the windows, the smell and noise increase 100x and the last screw down on the carpet, I was finished. I reached down on the floor to put some exta screws in the container, grabbed the cordless drill and opened the door and began getting out of the blind. I turned around the face the inside of the blind and dang if there wasn't a Pomerarian dog looking at me square in the face smelling like a skunk panting up a storm! Took me by surprise and then I knew what the sound was (panting) and where the skunk smell was coming from. Followed me back to the house across the pasture, gave it some water and went in. It was gone when I came back out a couple hours later.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: kyotee1] #2391190 06/26/11 06:13 AM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I was out one night calling for foxes so I'm all snuggled in a bush calling when after about 5 minutes something smacks my arm. I jump like a little girl and turn to see what it was and there running away from me was a fox. If only I had a clean pair of shorts and a shotgun I would have gotten him.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide