Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Pointer] #2286804 05/03/11 12:59 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Might want to ask again to make sure 68rustbucket. If you are treating a 40 pound dog, your saying you are giving them less than a half of a tenth? I think somehow you might have miss understood the vet. Just my opinion, but I dont think that would protect the dog from heartworms. But I will say this, I trust my vet enough that if he told me 1/100 was good, thats what I would do.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2287066 05/03/11 03:08 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Rustbucket and CC:
I am sure that the dosage recommended by Rustbucket's vet is quite enough to control heartworms. If you'll look at the dosage in your Heartgard pills, it is tiny.

In the two examples I gave, 1)we are preventing other worms and parasites as well with the 1/10 cc/10 lbs, and 2)with the daily megadoses on one dog, we are controlling demodex, or red mange. I am not a vet, and I am careful about treating my dogs. I am aware that as with all medicines, there may be side effects.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Pointer] #2287120 05/03/11 03:32 PM
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
If that is the dosage his Vet told him to use, that's what I would use also. I just thought he might have misunderstood his Vet, since the dosage is not even remotely close to what every other Vet in Texas recommends. With all the Mosquito's we have here in East Texas, I'm gonna stick to the 1/10cc per 10lbs that my vet recommends. Mosquito's are bad here.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2290126 05/05/11 12:00 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had the A&M vet write it down for me. He wouldn't prescribe the Ivermectin. But since I told him I was going to use it he went in the back and did some math, and gave me the dosage. Maybe the Aggie isn't that good at math.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: 68rustbucket] #2290200 05/05/11 12:38 AM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I had the A&M vet write it down for me. He wouldn't prescribe the Ivermectin. But since I told him I was going to use it he went in the back and did some math, and gave me the dosage. Maybe the Aggie isn't that good at math.

Wouldn't be the first one. grin

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Justin T] #2290484 05/05/11 02:36 AM
H
holtvet Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: Justin T

Perhaps Aggies who are weak in math choose to become veterinarians? But I'm betting he had a 4.0 GPA, or he likely wouldn't have gotten admitted into vet school in the first place.

My husband's Aggie brother, mechanical engineering 1976, isn't very good at math either. He's still trying to figure out if he earned $4 million or $6 million in 2010, or perhaps somewhere in between.

But regarding the OP's question.....there is a wide effective dosage range with ivermectin in dogs. Very low doses will kill heartworm migrating larvae and very high doses will kill Demodectic mange mites. Fortunately, even high doses are well tollerated by most dogs, but not in collies or collie mixes, and perhaps certain other rare individuals. This wide margin of safety is a fortunate thing when THF members get the local feed store confused with the town's veterinary clinic. Also, most of the posters here aren't math whizzes either and couldn't measure a cc of medication if you gave them a lab pipette, a magnifying glass, and a hot female tech showing them how.

So, if one vet says .01 cc and another vet says .1 cc, both are right; heartworm prevention will be achieved either way. But the more pressing question is: can you, the dogowner, follow directions? YOU probably can, but what about the next guy? Thus the reluctance, as well as the liability, of recommending home off-label dosing of medications.

So, since you boys are all math whizzes, I'll offer up a dosing schedule that even knuckle draggers can follow:

Ivomec cattle injectable, or similar in 50 cc bottles,

Small dog...0.1 cc monthly
Medium dog...0.2 cc monthly
Large dog...0.3 cc monthly.

This message will now self-destruct and I deny any knowledge concerning same.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2290549 05/05/11 02:59 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
I use Ivermectin for livestock, but you absolutely MUST know what you are doing... the wrong dosage or the wrong breed and it can be deadly.
We used that when I was running my dads cattle operation back home. I even accidentally got a dose of it in my right arm. Obviously it didn't kill me.
I know other people that use this on their dogs but I was told that it can cause liver problems in dogs if to strong a dose is given.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: holtvet] #2290650 05/05/11 03:50 AM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: holtvet

Perhaps Aggies who are weak in math choose to become veterinarians? But I'm betting he had a 4.0 GPA, or he likely wouldn't have gotten admitted into vet school in the first place.

My husband's Aggie brother, mechanical engineering 1976, isn't very good at math either. He's still trying to figure out if he earned $4 million or $6 million in 2010, or perhaps somewhere in between.

But regarding the OP's question.....there is a wide effective dosage range with ivermectin in dogs. Very low doses will kill heartworm migrating larvae and very high doses will kill Demodectic mange mites. Fortunately, even high doses are well tollerated by most dogs, but not in collies or collie mixes, and perhaps certain other rare individuals. This wide margin of safety is a fortunate thing when THF members get the local feed store confused with the town's veterinary clinic. Also, most of the posters here aren't math whizzes either and couldn't measure a cc of medication if you gave them a lab pipette, a magnifying glass, and a hot female tech showing them how.

So, if one vet says .01 cc and another vet says .1 cc, both are right; heartworm prevention will be achieved either way. But the more pressing question is: can you, the dogowner, follow directions? YOU probably can, but what about the next guy? Thus the reluctance, as well as the liability, of recommending home off-label dosing of medications.

So, since you boys are all math whizzes, I'll offer up a dosing schedule that even knuckle draggers can follow:

You need to post more............ cheers

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Chet] #2290714 05/05/11 04:27 AM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Holtvet:
Many thanks for your input and that clarification.

BTW: I think maybe I COULD use a good pipette, a magnifying glass, and a hot female tech.

Regards,
A. Knuckledragger

Last edited by Pointer; 05/05/11 12:20 PM.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: holtvet] #2291135 05/05/11 01:57 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: holtvet

You can always count on one aggie getting riled up. clap

Well I can't remember if I made 10 or 12 million last year. juggle

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Justin T] #2291247 05/05/11 02:55 PM
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Thanks for the info holtvet. up We need your input more often.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide