Forums46
Topics543,944
Posts9,804,425
Members87,520
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: coral snake 1 in a million kill. [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2270844 04/26/11 06:48 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Psychosmurf
Originally Posted By: devildog28
as others have mentioned he was really in no danger, coral snakes have a really mellow temperment, most will let you handle them without striking. Even as such they have very short fangs at the rear of there mouth so it takes alot to get a "Wet Bite" most bites from corals are non-venomous.

Have you tested this theory out?

I relocate plenty of snakes every year, and every coral snake I have come into contact with have been very timid snakes. Most herps will agree, as you notice its a snake most everybody handles on alot of the nature shows.

Again Coral represent les than 1% of snake bites, with average of 15-20 per year, it is also one of the most Toxic venoms of poisinous snakes in the US its venom is only Rivaled by the Mojave Rattlesnake for Toxicity. Yet very few people are bitten even of those most can pull the snake off them before they get a wet bite.

But if you do get bit by one, get it checked out right away. They use neuro toxin(sp?) and the effect can be delayed for up to 8 hours. Wont feel a thing besides the bite, then 8 hrs later, you start feeling it and it is way too late.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: coral snake 1 in a million kill. [Re: KWood_TSU] #2271596 04/26/11 05:47 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
as others have mentioned he was really in no danger, coral snakes have a really mellow temperment, most will let you handle them without striking. Even as such they have very short fangs at the rear of there mouth so it takes alot to get a "Wet Bite" most bites from corals are non-venomous.

I relocate plenty of snakes every year, and every coral snake I have come into contact with have been very timid snakes. Most herps will agree, as you notice its a snake most everybody handles on alot of the nature shows.

Again Coral represent les than 1% of snake bites, with average of 15-20 per year, it is also one of the most Toxic venoms of poisinous snakes in the US its venom is only Rivaled by the Mojave Rattlesnake for Toxicity. Yet very few people are bitten even of those most can pull the snake off them before they get a wet bite.

But if you do get bit by one, get it checked out right away. They use neuro toxin(sp?) and the effect can be delayed for up to 8 hours. Wont feel a thing besides the bite, then 8 hrs later, you start feeling it and it is way too late.

Oh definitely you never take a chance if you actually get tagged, always seek medical attention immediately even on less toxic ones, as you can have allergic reactions to something that the guy next to you might not even need antivenene for.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: coral snake 1 in a million kill. [Re: devildog28] #2284893 05/02/11 03:53 PM
T
txshotgun Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

I'm sure he hasn't. Have you tested whether a .357 is a better manstopper than a .22 short? wink

Recycle! Be an organ donor!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide