I use USPS for long guns. I pay for and print the shipping label online at home. I take the box to the local post office and set it on the counter. I don't even go through the line. I tell them this is ready to go and as required that it is a firearm. I have also scheduled a USPS priority mail package pickup and put in the notes that it is a firearm which would meet the carrier notification requirement. I have never ever had a USPS employee question me.

If the person receiving requires I use UPS, I take it to the UPS hub. A couple of times I have had a new employee question a supervisor when informed it was a firearm, but they got the ok both times. But I have also had this happen with air rifles. No big deal. Once the employee was educated, they did not hassle me the next time. But here again, I do prefer to print the paid label at home so I can just lay it on the counter, declare it a firearm, and walk away.

Now the privately owned UPS stores and Post Office Box type stores. I don't think any of them will accept firearms per store policys. They are not under USPS or UPS tarrif. They are just a private middle man so they can set their own rules and do not want the liabilty.

UPS went to the overnight policy on handguns due to theft within UPS. This was openly admitted by UPS during the change. One really should consider to insure and declare the contents. Not just because not doing so is a Club Fed Felony. But in case of damage or theft which could get you caught when contents are inspected or a reverse trace after the gun is used in a crime. Lonny Baxter was caught because of a reverse trace on one of the guns after he fired it off in public where he should not have.

Last, it is generally cheaper to work with a Local 01 FFL and pay them a small fee to ship your pistol for you USPS, than it is to pay overnight air to UPS doing it yourself.