center console duck boat #2064521 01/27/11 08:06 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Anyone running one? Opinions?

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: center console duck boat [Re: J.P. Greeson] #2064555 01/27/11 08:21 PM
L
Lance2373 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Friend that I hunt with regularly has a Gator Trax center console and I really like it. It looks alot like the one you have pictured. It has plenty of room for everything and it fishes really well. It is definitely a dual purpose boat.

He also has the poling platform on the back which has come in handy.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Lance2373] #2064609 01/27/11 08:34 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Im on my third year with mine.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: J.P. Greeson] #2064615 01/27/11 08:35 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
OH Opinion. I wont never have a duckboat that aint got a center console, Hydro steering, Lowrance.

Last edited by Rob Robertson; 01/27/11 08:37 PM.
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Rob Robertson] #2064698 01/27/11 09:08 PM
C
CNTKILLLIKEME Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I love mine very easy to drive and if u get reverse it makes it even better...Mine is a 18' 60" and loaded down with 3 guys, gear, and a dog it still will get on pad and run 23-25 mph.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: CNTKILLLIKEME] #2064914 01/27/11 10:25 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I have a center console 16' sea ark w/ 50hp yam outboard. I like it alright. It was perfect for bayfishing on the coast and duck hunting. I will say, if you are going to get a 'standalone' duck boat, i'd go for a more open deck. It gets cluttered real easy and no so easy to move around on the rare occasion I have the blind on it.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #2064926 01/27/11 10:31 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Rob is that 18'??

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #2064961 01/27/11 10:45 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: wlgorman
I have a center console 16' sea ark w/ 50hp yam outboard. I like it alright. It was perfect for bayfishing on the coast and duck hunting. I will say, if you are going to get a 'standalone' duck boat, i'd go for a more open deck. It gets cluttered real easy and no so easy to move around on the rare occasion I have the blind on it.

I totally agree. I have a center console 18' sea ark and a pathway becomes nearly impossible at times.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Gdogg] #2064978 01/27/11 10:49 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
You mean ya'll don't all just walk in?

Re: center console duck boat [Re: cable] #2065015 01/27/11 11:06 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I have a 17ft tiller and no way would I want a console...they take up to much room. Besides, I like standing up while driving because I can see better.

The only advantage I can see is on a long run you aren't twisting on the throttle the whole time.

I do wish mine had a grab bar though and I could ram mount a hand held or Lowrance unit to it but instead I hold it if I need it. 99% of the time I don't need it though.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2065067 01/27/11 11:23 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
my buddy has a G3 and I like that boat!

Re: center console duck boat [Re: nogeese] #2065111 01/27/11 11:45 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I'm going to either make some alterations to the Bubba Tub, or sell it and start over.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: center console duck boat [Re: sptaylor] #2065265 01/28/11 12:40 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: sptaylor
Rob is that 18'??

Yes, 18 x 54 with 24 inch sides.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2065280 01/28/11 12:44 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Judd
I like standing up while driving because I can see better.

I stand up in mine. Plus I run with no hands when its cold.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Rob Robertson] #2065328 01/28/11 01:00 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
A question that needs to be asked to satisfy curiosity (mine), is how do you wiggle out of bad spots. For example If I am in a tight and I need to get the boat turned around the other way I can turn the motor with a tiller handle to 90 degrees from its usual position and point the prop almost straight down. In other words push the tiller all the way up forcing it down into the mud and turn it all the way left or right. Essentially causing the boat to do sort of a slow do-nut in the mud. Then I can wiggle the prop down as far as I can by pushing the tiller up again, forcing the propeller to bite.

SO my question is if you have tilt and trim, obviously operated by a switch on the console, how do you force that prop into the mud to get a good bite when you blowing out of a bad spot. For those who have the center console with the tilt and trim let me know.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wal1809] #2066432 01/28/11 01:00 PM
R
R.T. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
The only downside to a CC I can see is the time it takes to turn the wheel for tight maneuvers. The tiller allows you instant feedback in tight situations that pop up when running a duck boat where its mean to be driven.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wal1809] #2066528 01/28/11 01:58 PM
L
Lance2373 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
A question that needs to be asked to satisfy curiosity (mine), is how do you wiggle out of bad spots. For example If I am in a tight and I need to get the boat turned around the other way I can turn the motor with a tiller handle to 90 degrees from its usual position and point the prop almost straight down. In other words push the tiller all the way up forcing it down into the mud and turn it all the way left or right. Essentially causing the boat to do sort of a slow do-nut in the mud. Then I can wiggle the prop down as far as I can by pushing the tiller up again, forcing the propeller to bite.

SO my question is if you have tilt and trim, obviously operated by a switch on the console, how do you force that prop into the mud to get a good bite when you blowing out of a bad spot. For those who have the center console with the tilt and trim let me know.

I know on my buddies gator trax it won't bite like a tiller handle will. If you get into nasty mud it still performs pretty good but that boat in the picture is huge. It is a 21ft. and I don't know why he got it that big but it won't go through the things a 17 or 18ft will go through. That being said you can work the steering wheel in the mud but not as good as with a tiller handle.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Lance2373] #2066761 01/28/11 03:14 PM
B
Brian R. Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Where did everyone get their center console pro-drives? I am in the market for one but am having problems finding dealers online. Everything I find is just surface drives.

Thanks all.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Brian R.] #2066792 01/28/11 03:25 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Brian R.
Where did everyone get their center console pro-drives? I am in the market for one but am having problems finding dealers online. Everything I find is just surface drives.

Thanks all.

Call ProDrive...KP will take great care of you. Oh and I don't really know what you mean by surface drive because a PD is a surface drive?

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2066802 01/28/11 03:28 PM
G
General CT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I hear ya Judd.

I have a Xpress HD17DB with a 60hp E-Tech tiller, when I'm navigating the rivers and creeks through the flooded timber sections of some lakes there is nothing that provides as much control as a tiller handle. I did upgrade my handle to the newer version that is available for E-Techs and it was well worth the money. The throttle has a tension screw so once you twist it stays there, plus shifting lever, trim, and starting all right there on the end of the tiller. Also the handle it long enough I can stand up easily and still have good control.

I have to admit though that if I did ever go to a steering wheel I would want it to be a center console.
I have a 17ft tiller and no way would I want a console...they take up to much room. Besides, I like standing up while driving because I can see better.

The only advantage I can see is on a long run you aren't twisting on the throttle the whole time.

I do wish mine had a grab bar though and I could ram mount a hand held or Lowrance unit to it but instead I hold it if I need it. 99% of the time I don't need it though.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wal1809] #2066803 01/28/11 03:29 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

For that kind of use my Center Console would be worthless. For the way I use mine, Crossing a VERY Large lake and LONG runs up a River it is perfect.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Rob Robertson] #2066915 01/28/11 04:00 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Rob Robertson

For that kind of use my Center Console would be worthless. For the way I use mine, Crossing a VERY Large lake and LONG runs up a River it is perfect.

The old saying is true! There aint just one boat that can do it all. The opposite side is mine on really long runs is a chore as you have to stand and hold the tiller. I could probably give that up for a center console and make it easier on the long drives as everywhere I go is 6 miles to and 6 miles back. I can definately see where somebody would choose that option and give up the digging.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: General CT] #2066930 01/28/11 04:03 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: General CT
I hear ya Judd.

I have a Xpress HD17DB with a 60hp E-Tech tiller, when I'm navigating the rivers and creeks through the flooded timber sections of some lakes there is nothing that provides as much control as a tiller handle. I did upgrade my handle to the newer version that is available for E-Techs and it was well worth the money. The throttle has a tension screw so once you twist it stays there, plus shifting lever, trim, and starting all right there on the end of the tiller. Also the handle it long enough I can stand up easily and still have good control.

I have to admit though that if I did ever go to a steering wheel I would want it to be a center console.

this would be awesome

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: center console duck boat [Re: garrett] #2066985 01/28/11 04:19 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott
Originally Posted By: General CT
I hear ya Judd.

this would be awesome

That would be awesome but don't forget to wear that kill switch. You fall out and that boat is either gone or running in circles a lot faster than you need to be trying to get in it.

I was just talking to someone the other day about jackets and kill switches. I never fired the motor up in a bassboat without lifejackets and kill switch, even in 100 degree weather. But going from an 80mph to a 25mph boat has gotten me complacent. I need to get back in the habit of life jackets and kill switch.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2066998 01/28/11 04:25 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I was making a short run across fork one day. Said ah not going far. Out on the boat road running the skeeter at 73 (before I got a GPS, GPS sure slowed that boat down rofl ) Hit one of those rouge boat swells where there is no boat around.

I almost went over the console. The skeeter was flat airborn.

Last time I ran the boat with no life jacket/ kill switch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide