Re: center console duck boat [Re: Rob Robertson] #2067101 01/28/11 04:59 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Rob Robertson
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
A question that needs to be asked to satisfy curiosity (mine), is how do you wiggle out of bad spots. For example If I am in a tight and I need to get the boat turned around the other way I can turn the motor with a tiller handle to 90 degrees from its usual position and point the prop almost straight down. In other words push the tiller all the way up forcing it down into the mud and turn it all the way left or right. Essentially causing the boat to do sort of a slow do-nut in the mud. Then I can wiggle the prop down as far as I can by pushing the tiller up again, forcing the propeller to bite.

SO my question is if you have tilt and trim, obviously operated by a switch on the console, how do you force that prop into the mud to get a good bite when you blowing out of a bad spot. For those who have the center console with the tilt and trim let me know.

For that kind of use my Center Console would be worthless. For the way I use mine, Crossing a VERY Large lake and LONG runs up a River it is perfect.

I have a jackplate on mine and have only gotten REALLY stuck once. That was on nicks lake down near galveston. Actually the last of many saltwater trip my boat saw. We had to REALLY push in 4" of knee deep saltwater gumbo mud for about 1/2 a mile. 2 hrs later, many beer rests, and alot of bitching, we were out.

On the coast I could run on plane in less than a foot. Here I havent gotten as brave since I didnt grow up on these waters.

I run my boat now until the depthfinder stops reading at about 1.5', then trim all the way up where the prop is barely in the water and idle in to about mid-shin depth, for me. Then hide the boat. If I get stuck, which happens alot, its not as bad that way. As opposed to running in on plane until you get stuck, thats bad. When that happens, I always tell everyone to hop out, then the boat floats, somewhat, and we can turn around and use the tilt-up, passengers stand on the front and idle out method. I have yet to find a spot I want to hunt that I cant get the boat at least to a reasonable walking distance to.

Last edited by wlgorman; 01/28/11 05:00 PM.
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2067111 01/28/11 05:03 PM
B
Brian R. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: Brian R.
Where did everyone get their center console pro-drives? I am in the market for one but am having problems finding dealers online. Everything I find is just surface drives.

Thanks all.

Call ProDrive...KP will take great care of you. Oh and I don't really know what you mean by surface drive because a PD is a surface drive?

I mean all I find is the motor. Not the motor and boat together.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #2067120 01/28/11 05:07 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Sometimes when the wind get very high it will suck all the water out of a cove (wind tide). That is when Im glad Im running a mudmotor. Ran close to 1/2 mile this day without touching a drop of water.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Brian R.] #2067126 01/28/11 05:09 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Where did everyone get their center console pro-drives? I am in the market for one but am having problems finding dealers online. Everything I find is just surface drives.

Thanks all.

Call ProDrive...KP will take great care of you. Oh and I don't really know what you mean by surface drive because a PD is a surface drive?

I mean all I find is the motor. Not the motor and boat together.

Call Prodrive...Kp builds Both. Thats where I got mine (Both Boat and Motor).

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Rob Robertson] #2067142 01/28/11 05:13 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Rob Robertson
Sometimes when the wind get very high it will suck all the water out of a cove (wind tide). That is when Im glad Im running a mudmotor. Ran close to 1/2 mile this day without touching a drop of water.

One day...

Re: center console duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #2067195 01/28/11 05:29 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Great picture there. It is scary cuz all it takes is one bad patch to slow you down and then your way too far to get out!! Pretty kewl motors to get your there though.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2067226 01/28/11 05:38 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott
Originally Posted By: General CT
I hear ya Judd.

I have a Xpress HD17DB with a 60hp E-Tech tiller, when I'm navigating the rivers and creeks through the flooded timber sections of some lakes there is nothing that provides as much control as a tiller handle. I did upgrade my handle to the newer version that is available for E-Techs and it was well worth the money. The throttle has a tension screw so once you twist it stays there, plus shifting lever, trim, and starting all right there on the end of the tiller. Also the handle it long enough I can stand up easily and still have good control.

I have to admit though that if I did ever go to a steering wheel I would want it to be a center console.
I have a 17ft tiller and no way would I want a console...they take up to much room. Besides, I like standing up while driving because I can see better.

The only advantage I can see is on a long run you aren't twisting on the throttle the whole time.

I do wish mine had a grab bar though and I could ram mount a hand held or Lowrance unit to it but instead I hold it if I need it. 99% of the time I don't need it though.

this would be awesome

That would be awesome but don't forget to wear that kill switch. You fall out and that boat is either gone or running in circles a lot faster than you need to be trying to get in it.

I was just talking to someone the other day about jackets and kill switches. I never fired the motor up in a bassboat without lifejackets and kill switch, even in 100 degree weather. But going from an 80mph to a 25mph boat has gotten me complacent. I need to get back in the habit of life jackets and kill switch.

thats a good point...with all the bad luck my crew has it seems we would wear them, but we dont...need to start. This year I kicked the motor into gear and almost went overboard

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: center console duck boat [Re: garrett] #2067261 01/28/11 05:48 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Ever since I read that story a couple years ago about that ol' boy in LA that was with his 10 year old and got thrown and hit his head. His son jumped in, got him to the boat, but couldn't hold on. That boy had to let him go to save his own life.

Done deal. I don't mess around - hit too close to home...

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2067854 01/28/11 09:00 PM
G
General CT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott
Originally Posted By: General CT
I hear ya Judd.

I have a Xpress HD17DB with a 60hp E-Tech tiller, when I'm navigating the rivers and creeks through the flooded timber sections of some lakes there is nothing that provides as much control as a tiller handle. I did upgrade my handle to the newer version that is available for E-Techs and it was well worth the money. The throttle has a tension screw so once you twist it stays there, plus shifting lever, trim, and starting all right there on the end of the tiller. Also the handle it long enough I can stand up easily and still have good control.

I have to admit though that if I did ever go to a steering wheel I would want it to be a center console.
I have a 17ft tiller and no way would I want a console...they take up to much room. Besides, I like standing up while driving because I can see better.

The only advantage I can see is on a long run you aren't twisting on the throttle the whole time.

I do wish mine had a grab bar though and I could ram mount a hand held or Lowrance unit to it but instead I hold it if I need it. 99% of the time I don't need it though.

this would be awesome

That would be awesome but don't forget to wear that kill switch. You fall out and that boat is either gone or running in circles a lot faster than you need to be trying to get in it.

I was just talking to someone the other day about jackets and kill switches. I never fired the motor up in a bassboat without lifejackets and kill switch, even in 100 degree weather. But going from an 80mph to a 25mph boat has gotten me complacent. I need to get back in the habit of life jackets and kill switch.

I always have the kill switch on, even when I'm idiling along.

Re: center console duck boat [Re: General CT] #2067899 01/28/11 09:12 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Smart move...I should bang

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Judd] #2067953 01/28/11 09:27 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
But going from an 80mph to a 25mph boat has gotten me complacent. I need to get back in the habit of life jackets and kill switch.

As it turns out, the lake water during duck season is still 45 degrees no matter how fast you are going! I know it's wrong but I never wore a life jacket running my boat. But I ALWAYS ran a kill switch!

Re: center console duck boat [Re: Dave Speer] #2067962 01/28/11 09:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
But going from an 80mph to a 25mph boat has gotten me complacent. I need to get back in the habit of life jackets and kill switch.

As it turns out, the lake water during duck season is still 45 degrees no matter how fast you are going! I know it's wrong but I never wore a life jacket running my boat. But I ALWAYS ran a kill switch!

It was when I was running the big boat too, I never quit for winter. I have been peppered a time or two by them "damn duck hunters".... rofl now I is one bang

grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: center console duck boat [Re: Dave Speer] #2067965 01/28/11 09:30 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Life jacket for running a boat during duck season means, They wont have to drag the lake for a week before Your family buries You.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide