Forums46
Topics538,832
Posts9,741,899
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Bannon] #2039891 01/20/11 04:17 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
those Neches River bottom Tyler Co deer are just products of their environment....it is thick like no other.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2039992 01/20/11 04:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
There's no doubt. But to say that's the reason we see ZERO deer in places we used to witness 20 a day is taking it to an extreme, as I attempted to illustrate with sarcasm.... It would not account for not seeing any deer.

that really sounds like what was going on where the doe harvest quotas jumped way up on some of the MLD leases I was hunting. I hunted an area of about 800 acres all to myself that was below flood level (b/c I was the newbie/youngun and the old-timers didn't like messing with the snakes and all the water) and after the first yr slaughter, I was still seeing a decent amount of deer (stand was on an old logging road down through a hardwood bottom that I could cover a 500yd straight-away). But 3 years into it, my trips of seeing 10-40 deer dwindled down to where I would see whatever small group lived under my feeders. Buck sightings were way down b/c the older age class was there, but not near the number of younger bucks I was used to seeing.

Question for you....I know that on ranches where I have been that we shoot lots of doe the numbers of deer seen period decrease due to the new pressure on the herd. Most of these ranches are HF so the deer numbers are still there but the sighting have gone way down. Do you think that due to shooting high numbers on a place with low hunting pressure would be part of the problem? You mentioned that the newbie location was remote and had lots of deer then changed? Was the hunting pressure in the new place making the deer more difficult to see? Were you shooting lots of doe and hogs in the new area? Just curious. I know from my years of doe management after years of shooting them they are harder to see than a mature buck in most instances.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2040062 01/20/11 04:58 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: aggiebrahma
I have been told by the TPWD in MP that as a landower I have to a party to the MLD program. That was as it stood 2 years ago.

Exactly. I posted the response from TPWD on here directly. It said that clear as day, but some know the law better than TPWD.

Is that directed at me by chance? Nevermind, not gonna go down that road again. Believe what you want to...

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: stxranchman] #2040063 01/20/11 04:58 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I wasn't killing my does down there... we had 2 stand locations we could choose and I would hunt my other stand (above flood level about 3 miles away) to shoot does to keep the pressure off the deer down in the bottom. I shot hogs down there, but not during season, I'de work on them during the spirng & summer. Even the places away from my actual stand set-up weren't producing the deer numbers and I was covering some ground through open timber and looking over grown up clearcuts from my climber at drains and old roads that deer would use to cut across from the creeks to sloughs.

Last edited by rifleman; 01/20/11 05:04 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Bannon] #2040229 01/20/11 05:54 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Bannon
...and finally...I got to thinking about a common thread amongst my friends that hunt ranches west and south of Deep East Texas (that don't have ARs) "Yeah I shot a cull buck(sic) this weekend. I've been watching that same 8 point for 4 years now, never was going to amount to anything." Soooo... If genetics don't have anything to do with narrow racks or wide racks, why is his buck a cull and my narrow rack (that would be a personal trophy) different. Why can he shoot a 4.5 year old and call it a "cull" and I can't shoot a 4.5 8 pt with a 12 31/32" spread. I know, I know, it's the LAW !!So tell me the state isn't trying to manage horns instead of herd. Idiots!I am sick and tired of the inequity visited on hunters who just want to hunt. What damage are we doing to our younger generation of hunters? Especially those who can't afford to hunt on $3-5,000/yr leases? Are we all supposed to worship at the altar of the Almighty Horn? We better re-think this crap or lose future hunters to video games. And yes, I hunt Tyler Co., home of the oldest narrow rack deer!

cheers

Last edited by Curly; 01/20/11 05:55 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: A.B.] #2040462 01/20/11 06:55 PM
D
Dacotua Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: Dacotua
What part of Red River? I hear good things from the northern part, bad from the south where we are.

It's shear numbers game to me.

You said huntedd, what years where you there and why did you quit?

I've hunted Lamar County, Delta County, Hopkin County, and Franklin County. All four of them have GREATLY IMPROVED with Antler Restrictions.

I've hunted those counties over 10 years. Like I said before, 10-12 years ago, you were LUCKY to see a deer, now you see lots of them. I'm so glade they put Antler Restrictions on and OUTLAWED deer hunting with DOGS. (I liked East Texas because it was easy to get to). Over 10 years ago, I swear people just shot whatever they saw. It also didn't help there was a bunch of poachers out there also.

Over the past 2004-2009, I've tagged out in those counties (I didn't hunt the same county each year). Usually I got my Buck within the first 3 weeks. Only in 2009 I didn't tag out, I passed on a buck that I thought would get better, and I didn't have a opportunity to get another.

Why did I move? I do not agree with the Doe rules in those counties. It really sucks to have to go Thanksgiving Day to Sunday to shoot your does. I would have MUCH preferred the state to Reduce the number of does from 2 to 1 and allow you to shoot the doe anytime you wanted than over 4 days. Plus I felt it was time to hunt a different part of the state (I went to Hill Country). BIG difference.

I dont see how we can be looking at the same area. I now for a fact there are fewer deer here now than 10-12 years ago. We are hurting and we have more deer than any of the counties you have mentioned. If you tagged out in those counties you are the man, please come teach me how its done.

Whenever I go out to those counties, I always see deer. You have to do certain things to keep them around. I routinely saw 8-10 deer under my feeder every morning, and 5-8 deer every evening. Heck during the day the deer used to bed down near my feeders.

I would disagree with you, in the east texas counties I meantioned there are MORE deer than 10-12 years ago. Perhaps on the land you hunt, you've put too much pressure on the deer?

On the lands I hunt on, we've made the rules that you can not drive a ATV. Those things flat out scare deer in East Texas.

We also set up multiple feeders and we don't hunt the same feeder more than 3 times a season.

If you are near a river, hunt near the river. I was lucky enough to hunt off the Sulpher River and noticed that Bucks used that river to go trolling for Does.

Finally you need to limit the amount of hunters you have on the lease. The last place I hunted, it was 2000 acres, and we only had 6 hunters. I only like to hunt in East Texas if we have at least 300 acres per hunter. Whenever I get that ratio, I've almost always tagged out. The problem comes in when landowners try to get 1 hunter per 100 acres. It just doesn't work in East Texas, theres not enough deer to support that. But at 300 acres per hunter, the deer will not be pressured as hard.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Dacotua] #2040621 01/20/11 07:37 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
What part of Red River? I hear good things from the northern part, bad from the south where we are.

It's shear numbers game to me.

You said huntedd, what years where you there and why did you quit?

I've hunted Lamar County, Delta County, Hopkin County, and Franklin County. All four of them have GREATLY IMPROVED with Antler Restrictions.

I've hunted those counties over 10 years. Like I said before, 10-12 years ago, you were LUCKY to see a deer, now you see lots of them. I'm so glade they put Antler Restrictions on and OUTLAWED deer hunting with DOGS. (I liked East Texas because it was easy to get to). Over 10 years ago, I swear people just shot whatever they saw. It also didn't help there was a bunch of poachers out there also.

Over the past 2004-2009, I've tagged out in those counties (I didn't hunt the same county each year). Usually I got my Buck within the first 3 weeks. Only in 2009 I didn't tag out, I passed on a buck that I thought would get better, and I didn't have a opportunity to get another.

Why did I move? I do not agree with the Doe rules in those counties. It really sucks to have to go Thanksgiving Day to Sunday to shoot your does. I would have MUCH preferred the state to Reduce the number of does from 2 to 1 and allow you to shoot the doe anytime you wanted than over 4 days. Plus I felt it was time to hunt a different part of the state (I went to Hill Country). BIG difference.

I dont see how we can be looking at the same area. I now for a fact there are fewer deer here now than 10-12 years ago. We are hurting and we have more deer than any of the counties you have mentioned. If you tagged out in those counties you are the man, please come teach me how its done.

Whenever I go out to those counties, I always see deer. You have to do certain things to keep them around. I routinely saw 8-10 deer under my feeder every morning, and 5-8 deer every evening. Heck during the day the deer used to bed down near my feeders.

I would disagree with you, in the east texas counties I meantioned there are MORE deer than 10-12 years ago. Perhaps on the land you hunt, you've put too much pressure on the deer?

On the lands I hunt on, we've made the rules that you can not drive a ATV. Those things flat out scare deer in East Texas.

We also set up multiple feeders and we don't hunt the same feeder more than 3 times a season.

If you are near a river, hunt near the river. I was lucky enough to hunt off the Sulpher River and noticed that Bucks used that river to go trolling for Does.

Finally you need to limit the amount of hunters you have on the lease. The last place I hunted, it was 2000 acres, and we only had 6 hunters. I only like to hunt in East Texas if we have at least 300 acres per hunter. Whenever I get that ratio, I've almost always tagged out. The problem comes in when landowners try to get 1 hunter per 100 acres. It just doesn't work in East Texas, theres not enough deer to support that. But at 300 acres per hunter, the deer will not be pressured as hard.

I own the land and there have been 4 killed in 8 years and the numbers are going down. I appreciate your helpful post, I was being a smartaxx and you make a post in repsonse that is polite and helpful. up

I do not have the deer I had back in the 90's.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Dacotua] #2040624 01/20/11 07:38 PM
J
jbs8307 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Why does everyone (myself included) insist on hunting feeders in east texas anyway. I havent seen one deer under either one of my feeders while hunting this year. But they will happily eat the corn i put out on the lanes in my woods. You guys are lucky they are even coming to your feeders.

Last edited by jbs8307; 01/20/11 07:38 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: jbs8307] #2040640 01/20/11 07:41 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: jbs8307
Why does everyone (myself included) insist on hunting feeders in east texas anyway. I havent seen one deer under either one of my feeders while hunting this year. But they will happily eat the corn i put out on the lanes in my woods. You guys are lucky they are even coming to your feeders.

Not everyone does. I am 250 yards down a trail going to my foodplot. I have been very successful in the area and I know how to kill big deer, but I cant kill what is no longer around.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: jbs8307] #2040665 01/20/11 07:45 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
helps concentrate those deer pockets...back when I was living in the area and could hunt basically every day, only time I would hunt a feeder was if I was running late or was flat out stumped.

Last edited by rifleman; 01/20/11 07:46 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Dacotua] #2040671 01/20/11 07:45 PM
K
Kell Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
This is a great conversation and a great thread.

In addition to the article on how older bucks go nocturnal, I have found the comments on the decimation of doe populations through over harvest very interesting. As recently as last week, I had a friend classify me as "another german hard head" when I mentioned the over harvest of does.

Don't get me wrong. I am in favor of limited doe hunting to keep the herd in balance with the carrying capacity of the land.

I do think that doe harvest can be taken to an extreme. Let me give an example of my experience with a pasture where I first hunted back in '67 and off and on over the years. The area was full of deer back then. We saw deer every time we hunted. At that time there were no doe permits. Flash forward 40+ years. The place is now part of a management coop. Last year there was a doe permit for about every ten acres. This year there was a permit for every 15 acres.

I had not hunted the place in a few years when I went back there to assist the landowner with the harvest and help my teenage son harvest a doe. We only got to hunt a couple times, briefly saw a few does and heard a lot of shooting. I did not let my son shoot the "does" we saw because we could not get a clear view of their heads to make sure he would not shoot a nubbins buck.

This year, we hunted the place four times. We saw two bucks, one greater than 13" that we passed and zero does. Again, there was a lot of shooting in the area.

I am not sure that the high harvest of does has been good for that area. From my observations, it may have been over done.
Perhaps, the managers are trying to get to a one to one ratio.
Even that does not make sense to me. I have read the post on the benefit of all does being bred at the same time and that did not make good sense to me. There is actually safety in diversity of fawn drop in my opinion and it is for the same reason that monoculture of cultivars in orchards is not the best idea. In a monoculture, the entire crop is subceptible to the same dangers, such as late freeze, or insect predation, etc. How can it be any different with the deer? This is why the Good Lord arranged for the does to come into estrus several times or until bred. I am no expert in deer management and I am not pretending to be, but this makes more sense to me.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: jbs8307] #2040736 01/20/11 07:58 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: jbs8307

As bad as it's been in the past couple of years, I shutter to think of how little deer I would see if I didn't hunt a feeder.

Last edited by Curly; 01/20/11 07:58 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2040840 01/20/11 08:23 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Curly, you ever get any pics of the buck that kept giving you the slip from last season?

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2040873 01/20/11 08:30 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Curly, you ever get any pics of the buck that kept giving you the slip from last season?

Nope, nobody on our lease did either. Wonder what happened to the old boy?

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2041048 01/20/11 09:08 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
no telling, he may have cut his range down or summer did him in.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2041223 01/20/11 09:53 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
crying

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2041259 01/20/11 09:59 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
look at the tongue stickin' out...pretty sure he's just messing with you. whistle

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2041284 01/20/11 10:04 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
He messed with me all last year!!!

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2041295 01/20/11 10:06 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
don't remember that one, but that's priceless. clap

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2041298 01/20/11 10:07 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
Smart aleck buck! bang grin

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2041319 01/20/11 10:11 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I would bet that buck was covering some ground.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2041328 01/20/11 10:13 PM
C
Curly Offline OP
Overrated
OP Offline
Overrated
C
He got pretty scarred up the later in the season it got. According to pictures only of course.

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: Curly] #2041351 01/20/11 10:17 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
hopefully you'll see him next season. After 100s of pics of the one I was after last season, I got .5 a pic of him this season. It was pretty dang annoying.

But the folks several miles off that had a cpl pics of him too last year didn't have any this yr and I didn't see "his" woman but once this year so I'm banking on them being hunkered down somewhere.

Last edited by rifleman; 01/20/11 10:26 PM.
Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: rifleman] #2042141 01/21/11 01:11 AM
T
turkeyfantic Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
One fact nobody talked about, on the decrease in deer. The pigs population has exploded over this same time frame as the deer number went down, They will compete for food and eat the acorns when available. Hammer the the pigs put out year round food plots, supplimental feed stations and you can expect to carry around 45 deer per square mile and can expect to harvast about 1/3 the population every year. That means 12 to 15 deer per sq mile. Under the current pig number I would bet on aroung 20 to 25 per sq mile. Which drops the numbers of harvast to 7 or 8 per sq mile. So if the lease hunts one hunter per 100. It only takes one or two years to hammer the deer population in that area

Re: Just curious, after another year of antler restrcitions: [Re: turkeyfantic] #2042247 01/21/11 01:37 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: turkeyfantic
One fact nobody talked about, on the decrease in deer. The pigs population has exploded over this same time frame as the deer number went down, They will compete for food and eat the acorns when available. Hammer the the pigs put out year round food plots, supplimental feed stations and you can expect to carry around 45 deer per square mile and can expect to harvast about 1/3 the population every year. That means 12 to 15 deer per sq mile. Under the current pig number I would bet on aroung 20 to 25 per sq mile. Which drops the numbers of harvast to 7 or 8 per sq mile. So if the lease hunts one hunter per 100. It only takes one or two years to hammer the deer population in that area

Yea and no. We have had pigs on the homeplace for 25 years and at the lease in Cass county since 96. We have hammered the hell outta the pigs. We dont see many in Cass anymore, none this year at all and they have been scarce here for 5 years or so, but the deer have gone down and stayed down for the last 8 to 10 years.

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide