Forums46
Topics540,247
Posts9,760,230
Members87,213
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: tkuehn5410] #2026547 01/16/11 09:13 PM
T
TKTony Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: tkuehn5410
AND, like you said before, don't forget your gun. This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times in the 10 years I've been hunting.

I'm sure that made for some very derogatory word usage. hahaha

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2026752 01/16/11 10:12 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
There are no substitutes for patience, safety, practice, good binoculars, safety, good boots, smaller backpacks, and safety.

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2027342 01/17/11 01:12 AM
T
TKTony Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I feel like there was some kind of subliminal message in that...not sure what it was though...hahaha

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2027700 01/17/11 02:30 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
welcome This may sound silly, but don't forget the ammo...friend of mine made it all the way to the lease with all the usual stuff....Gun, knife, binocs, groceries - but left the box of ammo sitting on the kitchen table.

Ditto all of the above, patience is a definite requirement. There are times when you may need to make that quick shot, but if you forget to take the time to put the X on the right spot it's all for nothing. I once asked an old FBI sniper type what he was thinking as he was coming to bear on a target and he said...."Sight alignment and trigger squeeze".

I can tell already you're gonna do just fine....'cause you are asking questions first.

Good luck & Glad to have ya here!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2027877 01/17/11 03:10 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Don't waste money on stuff you don't need. I hunt from a converted truck sleeper for a blind. I've also got a really nice pair of Realtree Brush pattern pants hanging in my closet.
Buy the best that you can afford, but don't fall for gimmicks. you don't need a computer programmable scope and a digital wind station to hunt deer at 200 yds.
Don't get caught up in whiz-bang or golly-gee mode unless you handload your own ammo. the latest WSSM\USM or granddads ole' Betsy may look great on paper or hanging over the fireplace, but go to your local Wally World, Academy, or local gunshop and see how hard the ammo is to find before committing to hunting with it.
Use the best mounts, rings and scope you can. My Win. Mod. 70 wears Millett bases and rings and a Sightron SI 3X9x40 scope and I'm hoping to update the scope soon. It's a great scope, but I want more magnification as we regularly shoot 200 yds +.
Shoot a lot at various ranges before you go afield and actually learn were your gun and ammo hits at differing ranges. Keep in mind that just because you hit a target at 300 yds by holding 1 inch over does not mean that 1 1\2" will put you on at 350-you have to shoot it. You probably already know this.
As with any other endeavor, cash is king-how much are you willing to spend?

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: toolman] #2029962 01/17/11 08:46 PM
T
TKTony Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I'm trying to get out there for around 600 bucks right now. I will have some wiggle room since I will not buy everything all at once and instead spread it out over the next year.

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2030402 01/17/11 10:54 PM
F
fitchjr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Optics are king, you dont realize it until you have a big buck at 50 yds in low light and cant see through your scope. It happened to me ONCE, then I ponied up for a Leupold vxII 4-12x50. A 3-9 will do you fine, but I hunt places where I can see forever (not neccesarily shoot).

As far as rifle/scope combo, I would rather be able to see 200yds in low light and shoot 1" groups with a cheaper rifle/expensive scope. Than not be able to see and have tighter groups out of the box with expensive rifle/cheap scope.

Basically, think hunting conditions, not 2p.m. on a Sunday at the range. Theres a big difference.

[Linked Image]
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2030443 01/17/11 11:04 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It seems like all the greenhorns I've hunted with/around can't stay in the stand long enough... sun comes up, they don't see a deer, they give it another 30 min and by 8 a.m. they're out walking around.
So saty in the stand at least until 9 0r 10 in the a.m and get back out by 3 in the evening. The time you spend in the stand the better.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2030445 01/17/11 11:04 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TKTony

What were your newbie mistakes you made when hunting for the first time?
Not getting to my stand early enough in the morning and not staying there long enough.

Not staying quiet and still.

Not paying enough attention to the wind direction.

Not practicing enough before the season (we were poor and ammo was not to be "wasted").

Not wearing warm enough clothes.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: Texan Til I Die] #2031165 01/18/11 01:54 AM
Stray Cat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Turn off your cellphone while hunting !!! hammer

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: Stray Cat] #2032449 01/18/11 02:49 PM
T
TKTony Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Stray Cat

Now that is one I hadn't thought of! Hahaha

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2032877 01/18/11 04:54 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Hey Tony, welcome. Lots of good advise given. Lots more available on this great forum.

my added advice is to remember that this is a recreation and in order to get the most out of your hunting efforts you need to take in the overall outdoors experience. Don't get too caught up in the kill... that will happen. Enjoy being out in nature. Take time to "get to know" your wildlife population. You will spend much more time just watching the wildlife than actually killing it.. this is what I have found most rewarding in my hunting. Watching playful pigs at a feeder, or squirrels fighting, or a hawk swooping in a taking out a dove on the ground... all good stuff.

Another thing to consider is that there is a multi-million dollar industry that revolves around selling hunting gear. A whole lot of it is junk. Don't be fooled by marketing... and don't be affraid to ask for peoples opinions on this forum.

Another rewarding method is to take along your video camera on every hunt. I still have film from 15 years ago that I get out and watch from time to time.

Best of wishes to you.

Last edited by driedmeat; 01/18/11 04:59 PM.
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2033135 01/18/11 06:23 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
It seems like all the greenhorns I've hunted with/around can't stay in the stand long enough... sun comes up, they don't see a deer, they give it another 30 min and by 8 a.m. they're out walking around.
So saty in the stand at least until 9 0r 10 in the a.m and get back out by 3 in the evening. The time you spend in the stand the better.

Ditto this 2......I usually don't have to much trouble here though cause once I get comfortable in the blind, I usually don't wake up til around 9:30 or 10:00 rofl

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: Stray Cat] #2033324 01/18/11 07:26 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: Stray Cat

I forgot that once...and I was the bloody guide! My phone now gets turned off when I exit the truck, no exceptions.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TKTony] #2033390 01/18/11 07:48 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Do not rely completely on your rifle scope for optics. Get binoculars!

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: TX_Huntress] #2033712 01/18/11 09:23 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just thought of something VERY important...

If you are deer hunting and you shoot at a deer and it runs off don't just assume you missed.
It's important to make a mental note of where the deer is standing when you shoot, concentrate on your shot, but try to notice how the deer reacts... did he kick? did he stumble? did he fall down and get back up?
Even if you can't see his reaction watch, where the deer goes and where you last saw him. Stay put for a minute, calm your nerves, make your gun safe, then take your gun and slowly and quietly walk to where the deer was when you shot and look for blood and or hair. Then if someone else is there go get help(to look).
I can't tell you how many deer I've help find that people "thought" they missed.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2033854 01/18/11 10:10 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
Just thought of something VERY important...

If you are deer hunting and you shoot at a deer and it runs off don't just assume you missed.
It's important to make a mental note of where the deer is standing when you shoot, concentrate on your shot, but try to notice how the deer reacts... did he kick? did he stumble? did he fall down and get back up?
Even if you can't see his reaction watch, where the deer goes and where you last saw him. Stay put for a minute, calm your nerves, make your gun safe, then take your gun and slowly and quietly walk to where the deer was when you shot and look for blood and or hair. Then if someone else is there go get help(to look).
I can't tell you how many deer I've help find that people "thought" they missed.

Very good advice Rick! On the subject of tracking... Tracking takes patience and concentration sometimes. The best tracking tip I ever received was to keep some toilet paper with me at all times when hunting (good idea for obviouse reasons). When you find your first speck of blood, tear off a square and hang it from the nearest branch... start your track and every so often hang a new square along the blood trail. This gives you a visual of the path the animal has taken and also marks your last spot if you lose the trail...

Last edited by driedmeat; 01/18/11 10:10 PM.
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2033914 01/18/11 10:29 PM
DSP56 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
#1 Practice ,practice ,practice. Know your weapon.
#2 I know the first deer that you see you're going to want to shoot but, wait. Deer travel in groups. Where there is one there are more most of the time.
#3 Like was stated earlier... dont forget to breath.
#4 Watch the deer that you see. You'll learn alot by just watching what they do.
#5 have fun! and enjoy the great outdoors.

welcome to the forum. welcome

If I had a big horse pistol like that , I would'nt be scared of no Booger Man! - Rooster Cogburn
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: DSP56] #2034052 01/18/11 11:07 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Um something else I thought of.
If you are hopeing to hunt next season, start now (or asap).
Start looking for a place to hunt.
If you have a place already, try to go there and explore, find the trails, draws, water, ect.
If you plan to hunt public land it's REALLY important to start early.

DISCLAIMER
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2036775 01/19/11 06:55 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Don't limit yourself to a blind looking at a feeder. If you have an area you can walk hunt safely, do it. It's best with the wind in your face and the sun at your back. Walk too little, look too much. Walk a hundred yards in a hour or longer. Keep an object, tree or whatever between you and where you're headed. Peek around the object slowly. Get on your knees and look under trees ahead of you. Bear in mind if deer are feeding, their head is close to the ground and they're looking out while they're eating. I have walked within 20 feet of deer and had them walk within 10 feet of me. There is no greater hunting experience.

Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: retfuz] #2037552 01/19/11 10:14 PM
L
levergunner Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Be consistent and standardize on one ammo. One mistake newbies make is to practice with one ammo and then load up the hunting rounds for the kill. They soon find out no two brands of ammo will have the same trajectory.

Last edited by levergunner; 01/20/11 02:51 AM. Reason: error
Re: Introduction and a Question. (not brief by any means) [Re: levergunner] #2039014 01/20/11 04:36 AM
O
Old_School Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Good advice given already.

My two cents to add: Be prepared for after the kill. Know how to dress your kill in the field. Keep in mind how you want to mount and make it easier on your taxidermist by not wrecking the cape for example. Have the right tools to get the job done. A small sharp knife for starting cuts and getting up there and cutting the trachea and a ball tipped for incisions are especially helpful for rookies. Cut the gut is not the way to shoot or clean. Have a processor lined up and know their hours and such.

Don't feel you have to take a deer every year unless you are just trying to fill the freezer. My brother patiently passed on bucks for 7 years before he saw one that made him raise his eyebrows. It paid off with this nice one that scored 172 5/8 gross 12pt. That's a great first buck. But only because he was patient and enjoyed the hunt as much as the kill.
welcome

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide