Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ethics question [Re: Texas Dan] #1841740 11/17/10 07:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Being that it ain't easy to sneak up on a bedded deer, I don't see it as unethical from a "free chase" perspective.

X2 If you are good enough to sneak up on a bedded deer then I would say yes it is ethical to take the shot if it is a good shot. I have seen deer sleep before but from what I have been told they rarely if ever do. They looked like they were dead but did get up and haul butt when I spooked them.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: ethics question [Re: Hoss 1962] #1841754 11/17/10 07:06 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Hoss 1962
Would you hit a guy with his back turned?

All the time, why?

Re: ethics question [Re: redchevy] #1841767 11/17/10 07:09 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Quote:
I personally wouldn't do it but I also don't shoot does that have their fawns with them.

Have their faws with them as in right next to them or have a fawn? If you wont shoot a doe that has a fawn, you will only be shooting yearlings and ones too old to breed, and we dont see too many of those we have one that is ancient, getting skinny and still has a fawn every year.

I mean if the fawn is with it at the time. I had a mature doe come in this weekend but had two yearling with her so I didn't shoot. There are plenty of other mature does that don't have fawns with them to shoot.

Re: ethics question [Re: postoak] #1841983 11/17/10 08:12 PM
K
Kcowboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: postoak
What Dan said:

1) Sneaking up on a bedded deer is usually very difficult and therefore very sporting

2) Unethical if you can't get a good shot

I would probably make a noise to get the deer to raise its head, or else just plan on a long wait for it to stand up.

If deer are like horses, then they need some deep sleep each day, lying down. They also can sleep lightly standing up.

x2

-- My wife says this forum is "Facebook for hunters", what's up with that? --
Re: ethics question [Re: Hoss 1962] #1841995 11/17/10 08:17 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Wow! I am surprised/ shocked at some of the comments on this post. What ever happened to the thrill of the hunt? Would you hit a guy with his back turned? How bout getting whacked in the head with a 2x4 while your sleeping? At least wait till he stands. It's post like some of these that give hunters a bad name. I can see this going over real well at home..."Yeah son, I popped him at 200 yds. while he was sleeping." Just my $.02

Uhhhhh, seriously? Do you announce your presence every time you go deer hunting, or are you quiet so the deer doesn't hear you? SERIOUSLY?!

Re: ethics question [Re: Justin T] #1842016 11/17/10 08:24 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I bet he usually says, yeah son, I shot him with my .270 at 200 yards while he had his head down eating corn that my tailgate feeder threw out there 2 hours before...

Re: ethics question [Re: Justin T] #1842020 11/17/10 08:24 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
BTW, nothing wrong with guns or tailgate feeders...I use both.

Re: ethics question [Re: Justin T] #1842023 11/17/10 08:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Justin T
Wow! I am surprised/ shocked at some of the comments on this post. What ever happened to the thrill of the hunt? Would you hit a guy with his back turned? How bout getting whacked in the head with a 2x4 while your sleeping? At least wait till he stands. It's post like some of these that give hunters a bad name. I can see this going over real well at home..."Yeah son, I popped him at 200 yds. while he was sleeping." Just my $.02

Uhhhhh, seriously? Do you announce your presence every time you go deer hunting, or are you quiet so the deer doesn't hear you? SERIOUSLY?!

yes and he uses a loin cloth and only very primative spears..LMAO

I'm not a sportmans for the record and I not in to primative stuff.. i just perfer corning a road and playing sniper vs hostage/bad guy while filling MLD doe tags via called head shots and I useually don't wear camo either.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: ethics question [Re: Dustnsand] #1842094 11/17/10 08:39 PM
C
catchin' Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: z71dustin
Quote:
I personally wouldn't do it but I also don't shoot does that have their fawns with them.

Have their faws with them as in right next to them or have a fawn? If you wont shoot a doe that has a fawn, you will only be shooting yearlings and ones too old to breed, and we dont see too many of those we have one that is ancient, getting skinny and still has a fawn every year.

I mean if the fawn is with it at the time. I had a mature doe come in this weekend but had two yearling with her so I didn't shoot. There are plenty of other mature does that don't have fawns with them to shoot.

I asked this question earlier in the year and got some interesting replies. I've changed my my mind and will shoot a doe with a fawn.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ion#Post1164619

Life is Good Today.

I never dreamed of being a father....now I can't imagine being anything else.
Re: ethics question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1842151 11/17/10 08:52 PM
I
Icouldbeyou Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I'm not a sportmans for the record and I not in to primative stuff.. i just perfer corning a road and playing sniper vs hostage/bad guy while filling MLD doe tags via called head shots and I useually don't wear camo either.

I dont see much difference in shooting a deer that is eating and shooting one that is bedded down, once the crosshairs are put on the deer, there really isnt much chance for it either way. On the "ethics scale", baiting to me seems to get closer to being unethical than the situation of shooting a bedded down deer. There are even some states that dont allow hunters to bait for deer, and I don't think any states have outlawed shooting sleeping deer (I'm not saying that I think using bait is unethical, just seems more to the unethical side than the bedded down deer scenario. I hunt over a feeder that throws corn. Just want to make that clear)

Peace and Hair Grease
Re: ethics question [Re: rkcurbow] #1842166 11/17/10 08:56 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: rkcurbow
SHOOT........
up

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: ethics question [Re: Icouldbeyou] #1842167 11/17/10 08:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Icouldbeyou
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I dont see much difference in shooting a deer that is eating and shooting one that is bedded down, once the crosshairs are put on the deer, there really isnt much chance for it either way. On the "ethics scale", baiting to me seems to get closer to being unethical than the situation of shooting a bedded down deer. There are even some states that dont allow hunters to bait for deer, and I don't think any states have outlawed shooting sleeping deer (I'm not saying that I think using bait is unethical, just seems more to the unethical side than the bedded down deer scenario. I hunt over a feeder that throws corn. Just want to make that clear)

to me any law against baiting is stupid..makes no sense... You can hunt pesimmon trees with fruit, alfafa, corn, soybean, clover ect but can't put corn on the ground..LMAO makes no sense

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: ethics question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1842202 11/17/10 09:04 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
i'm out for meat. i see a big ole doe down snoozing, i'm taking here. might just make her stand & pop her but still, i'll pop one.

Re: ethics question [Re: Icouldbeyou] #1842209 11/17/10 09:04 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Interesting question. I shot a sow that was snoring away and felt zero remorse. She hung out at my feeder for about to weeks and was well fed. I felt her time had come. However, I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. Deer sleeping I don't know. You guys have me all conflicted now. 'preciate it.

Re: ethics question [Re: swmays] #1842310 11/17/10 09:23 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Pigs are another story, NO mercy whatsoever on them/for them rifleThey die in any/all ways possible...asleep or on the run.

Re: ethics question [Re: swmays] #1842532 11/17/10 10:23 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: swmays
Interesting question. I shot a sow that was snoring away and felt zero remorse. She hung out at my feeder for about to weeks and was well fed. I felt her time had come. However, I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. Deer sleeping I don't know. You guys have me all conflicted now. 'preciate it.

Let the first shot spook the ducks off the water

It's hell eatin em live
Re: ethics question [Re: redchevy] #1843556 11/18/10 03:59 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: swmays

Let the first shot spook the ducks off the water

ya, u get three shots lol!

Re: ethics question [Re: MaggieMTx] #1843703 11/18/10 05:03 AM
O
Old_School Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: MaggieMTx
Pigs are another story, NO mercy whatsoever on them/for them rifleThey die in any/all ways possible...asleep or on the run.

X2

Re: ethics question [Re: Hoss 1962] #1843784 11/18/10 08:09 AM
R
RockinU Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Seriously...

Re: ethics question [Re: kry226] #1843791 11/18/10 09:09 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: kry226
The only thing unethical about it is not having good access to a vital area of the deer and shooting anyway. If you have a good, quick killing shot, shoot the sucker.

I'll agree with that.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: ethics question [Re: MaggieMTx] #1843936 11/18/10 01:31 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Unlike deer, pigs sleep soundly. We walked up on 2 of them snoring once (literally), shot 1 in the head, and the other one only sort of woke up in a confused state. At which point we shot it as well.

Re: ethics question [Re: Old_School] #1843942 11/18/10 01:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Old_School

X2

Agreed. As the case when killing cockroaches, just about anything goes when it comes to killing feral hogs.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: ethics question [Re: Texas Dan] #1844336 11/18/10 03:37 PM
A
atvsmasher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I agree, check this out. Hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElEesvNRn8

ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES
Shouldn't be a federal bureau, should be a department store
Page 2 of 2 1 2