texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Hugh Ghormley, III, beastmtr, Northern Legends Outfitting, Fishboy3501, BroncoBoy7914
72561 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,840
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 66,101
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
Stub 45,198
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics544,480
Posts9,810,771
Members87,561
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics #182064 06/02/07 12:10 AM
Sniper John Online Happy OP
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt!
This was the hunt donated by Randall aka crazyhorseconsulting via the forum members hunting photo contest last season. Hunt was near Ft Stockton Texas on what would be the northern edge of the Chihuahuan Desert. Beautiful country! Man, what a blast it was. I chose to take a Rockola M1 Carbine to make it challenging, not to mention the .30 Carbine a great round for this size animal. First day it was just Randall and me. It was true hunting. 25 mile winds and everything greener than usual from all the rain creating a situation that the animals were just not having to move much. Also, you could not see very far through all the green brush in the flat areas. Corn lines brought only Deer. So we did a lot of walking caprock, canyon fingers, and headers.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182065 06/02/07 12:10 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Only found one Javelina that first day. It was a Boar that had been bedded in the end of a small canyon. Randall spotted it, only because a Mule Deer buck we spooked (or that spooked us!) went crashing through the brush below us. I know my limitations and at 110 yards, up to 30 mile gusting cross winds, and a running animal. Not to mention open military sights, I decided against the shot. I instead waited until it crossed the caprock on top. I then told Randal I was going to double time up to the top and try and get far enough ahead for a shot. Unfortunately the Boar silhouetted me as I topped. I moved again into a flat with the Javelina and tried to bring it back to me with a predator call, but I was denied. Randall explained later that the singles usually don't respond to a call well. Randall also eliminated the world of another Rattlesnake which I am sure will be part of a future meal

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182066 06/02/07 12:11 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
I have got to gloat on the great meals Randall's wife Lora made for us. All the meals included wild game. When I arrived I had Wild Boar. Previously the best Wild Boar I had ever had was in a restaurant near Pisa Italy two years ago. I think Lora's beat it. Breakfast included Jackrabbit backstrap and Home raised Turkey and Chicken Eggs. Really good, I had never made Jackrabbit beyond using it in Chili. That night we had Bobcat. Yes Bobcat! Really surprised me. I actually went for seconds. The house we stayed in was made of adobe with really thick walls. Made for some really cool nights despite no air conditioning. That, Lora's great cooking, and the down home hospitality made for a much needed and very relaxing stay. Also, had a lot of fun touring the 20,000 acre Ranch with Randall and meeting the Owner. .

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182067 06/02/07 12:11 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Next morning I tagged along with Mike a gentleman from Topeka who came down to hunt. Randall took us to some canyon headers looking for Javelina. Breathtaking view of the valley below. Distant trucks on I-10 looking the size of ants really made you realize just how big that country is. Randall spotted a single Boar. They made a spot and stalk western style. Topeka Mike got himself a nice Javelina Boar with about a 130 yard shot from his 243. I put the guys through a little photo session and do hope they like the results of that. More pictures than posted here.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182068 06/02/07 12:12 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
On the way back I spotted a Javelina from the truck. It was running through a flat area. I yelled "Javelina" "Left!", bailed from the truck and in what seemed like a fluid motion while running after it looking for a clear shot, pulled my magazine, loaded it in the rifle, and racked in a cartridge. After a 100 yard dash I planted my foot, let out half a breath, flipped the safety, and took my shot on the running animal. I knew I missed when I pulled the trigger because I stopped my follow through. I may have said a cuss word. I shuffled and planted my back foot again, followed through this time as I pulled the trigger and made a great shot behind the ear on the running Javelina sending it into a cartwheel. Turned out to be nice sow, its worn teeth making me think it an older animal. I turned to Randall and Mike holding my Carbine high over my head while giving a triumphant yell. I wondered at that moment what Randall would think of my craziness. He seemed happy for me. We had watched "Windtalkers" at the camphouse the night before and I was accused of trying to live out the scene where the Navaho takes out all the enemy during a run with his M1 Carbine.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182069 06/02/07 12:12 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
John....not working...

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182070 06/02/07 12:12 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
That evening we toured some more of the sights on the Ranch. Saw a lot of catus I have never seen before. Shot a few cottontails that I suspect will show up at the forum get together coming up. Some of the rabbits were shot with my pistol. A 1930s Star Model F Target Pistol that really made it challenging. Just before sunset we spotted a group of around a dozen Javelina cross a ranch road. We moved into them from downwind where Randall at Mike's side pointed out a good trophy for Mike to shoot at close range. I had previously decided not to take a second animal, but did have my Carbine along for self defense. I really found myself having as much fun following with the camera seeing the whole picture rather than being the actual hunter. I am sure this would be one of those hunts that would be fun to bring along a non hunting family member. That night we had another great meal that included exotic sheep. Lora hearing I normally drink a glass of red wine every night surprised me in that she had picked up a bottle of wine that day. Great wine, locally made near Ft Stockton. We all stayed up late that night solving the worlds problems.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182071 06/02/07 12:13 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
The last morning of the hunt we first did some predator calling because the wind had finally settled for us, but we were denied by the predators so it turned into a Jackrabbit hunt. Oh my, how much fun! I was a little more off with my pistol this day, so I ended up using a Marlin 22 Mag mostly. Topeka Mike I think had a 10/22. Witnessed the funniest thing. A jackrabbit that Mike apparently only winged; attacked Mike when he went to pick it up. With ears laid back and teeth showing, it chased Mike around in a full circle. The Jackrabbit ultimately lost the fight. I only wish I had my camera ready on video mode at that moment but did not.

http://www.fototime.com/B2E056733C49982/orig.mpg

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182072 06/02/07 12:14 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
JOHN>>>>>

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #182073 06/02/07 12:19 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Randall is the real deal, quite the character, never a dull moment. I had a wonderful time.
Big public thank you to Randall, Lora, Crazy Horse Consulting & Lucky Cat Outfitting, www.shoestringsafaris.com !

The End.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182074 06/02/07 12:19 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Ok.....just checking.....
great pics so far....

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #182075 06/02/07 12:19 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Like the hat CHC!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: txtrophy85] #182076 06/02/07 12:29 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
As always....great pics and great story....
Randall and Lora are great people.....

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182077 06/02/07 12:33 AM
350ranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Great pics and story. That place sure has greened up alot since I was there a few months ago. BTW Thanks for sharing

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: 350ranch] #182078 06/02/07 02:33 AM
S
sig1921 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
John,

Congrats, sounds like you had an incrediable time . The pictures, story, and food make me want to hop in the truck and head that direction if I could get away with it.

It's not skybusting, if you make the shot.
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: sig1921] #182079 06/02/07 02:51 AM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
That was an incredible story Sounds like ya'll had an awesome time

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: TreeBass] #182080 06/02/07 03:46 AM
HuntWithStyle Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Great hunt story. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Now I've got to come to Texas.

Carry Everything you need plus Comfort and Quiet in one package
www.TreeApron.com
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: TreeBass] #182081 06/02/07 03:53 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks for the story and pictures. Sounds like an awesome time and good company. I know if I was going to pay for an extended hunt, it would be with him out there. I don't care what goes on here from time to time.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182082 06/04/07 04:29 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

John, from Lora and I both, Many Many Thanks for the article and the wonderful pictures. Hunting with you and mike was a pleasure, and you both made for wonderful company in camp. The only thing we didn't get a picture of, and I hadn't noticed if you had mentioned it, was the badger.

The only comment I can add to your story, is that it is really hard to get folks to understand how much fun hunting javelina can be, I hope your photos change a few folks minds. Once I get a computer back at the house, some of your photos will end up on our website.

Again, Many Thanks for the photos and for your company on the ranch.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Crazyhorse] #182083 06/04/07 05:18 PM
R
ralph Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Great scenery, great pictures and a great story. Thanks so much for sharing all of it.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: ralph] #182084 06/04/07 06:50 PM
H
hornaddiction Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing!!

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Sniper John] #182085 06/05/07 06:08 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good story and pics John.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Crazyhorse] #182086 06/05/07 08:37 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is not really a lot that I can add about this hunt and the two guys that hunted with me.

Both John and Mike are really good hunters, and were continually ready to take a shot when it was offered.

Lora was at her normal level of excellence with her meals, even though she had a migraine headache the whole time we were there, due to the storms. It is really painful to see someone you care for, in constant pain, knowing that there is nothing you can do to ease that pain.

As for the game, the rattlebugs were out and ready to play, fortunately we didn't run into any except on the roads.

The rabbits, both Jack and cottontail were plentiful. In fact I saw more cottontails on this hunt, than ever before.

As for the javelina, from the time we got down to the ranch on the 19th.(Sat.), until Tues. afternoon, the only javelina I saw, was a dead one, on I-10, just veast of fort stockton on the afternoon of the 22nd. The day John was coming in.

When Lora and I got back from town that afternoon, john had not made it to the ranch yet, so I dropped lora off at the ranch house, and went to check corn lines and drive the pastures.

I drove up to the pastures on the north side of I-10, and after going thru the gate, saw a single javelina.

I worked my way back to the ranch house and found that John had made it in.

The next morning, we left the ranch house around 7 and started hitting corn lines and places where I thought we should see either some javelina, or at least find some fresh sign.

We ended up running on to the lone animal that John talked about in his post. Even though john didn't get it, I was happy because we had seen a live one.

After a frew more rounds in some of the pastures, we ended up back at the ranch house for supper, and found that Mike had made it in from Topeka.

I was really happy, and grateful to the hunting gods that we were able to get both hunters their animals the next day, but it was some of the more interesting javelina hunting I have done in all the time I have been hunting the things.

Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: Crazyhorse] #182087 06/07/07 09:19 PM
M
mtmwildnut Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
"It is really hard to get folks to understand how much fun hunting javelina can be...," - until they do it. Great pictures, John! I've been lucky enough to go back a few years running, and can say the stories may differ in the finer points, but the "concept" of being out in west Texas with CHC and Camp Cook is very much the same as your descriptions. It doesn't get old, either; much to the contrary, I'd say it keeps getting better. Would have love to have seen the rabbit attack... it was about time they struck back... Great story!

I chase rabbits.
Re: The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics [Re: mtmwildnut] #182088 06/08/07 12:33 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great story and pics John, my son also really enjoyed it. That jack rabbit attach must have been funny as hell.

Hope to make it out to your place sometime CHC, and hope Lora feels better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide