Forums46
Topics538,759
Posts9,740,903
Members87,111
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 12 of 44 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Johnny Lobos] #1866238 11/26/10 07:14 PM
panch0 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Great stories guys Keep'em coming!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #1867042 11/27/10 04:23 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Well, I've found little of interest in the SHNF. I find beer bottles of styles used in the '60s and '70s, and lots of beer cans (Bud Light seems to be the beer of choice of litterers.) Since I like my woods pristine, I cart all these out. The 2nd day of rifle season I did find a new fixed-blade hunting knife in a trail. I stuck it in a tree in case anybody came back for it, but it was still there last Sunday.

Not hunting, but back in the big 7-year drought of the '50s, I used to find lots of arrow heads along Cypress Creek (I think it is called) near Wimberley, down from Jacob's Well. I could pretty much find one any time I set my mind to it. After the drought ended, the 3 inch grass I was finding these in turned into 3 foot high grass.

Also, about a half-mile from Jacob's well, my Dad and I found the site of a covered wagon. We found an old machete, and a British cavalry sword with Lion-head pommel. I can't imagine anyone voluntarily leaving all this stuff there so I imagine the Comanches got this family.

Oh, and I found an old, straight sided bottle in a creek bottom near Ledbetter Texas. This was near the route of Gotcher's Trace.

Around 1960-1962, my father and I were searching in the small cave opposite the Garner Park Headquarters and found a perfectly shaped spear point under about a foot of dirt. My father didn't have the best of ethics, so instead of turning it in, he kept it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: postoak] #1879927 12/01/10 07:03 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Back in 1993 or 1994 I hunted with a buddy on Terlingua Ranch south of Alpine. We would sometimes walk around for hours looing for quail or rabbits during the day and when it was time to get back to the cabin (extremely remote area) we would walk to the top of a hill and find the cabin with binos and head back. Once we had been out a few hours and came across a small two man tent, with backpacks, sleeping bags and a large cooler. Everything had been there for some time as the cooler had remnants of extremely rotten food that had been chewed up by the yotes or whatever. There was some sort of circle about 30 feet wide made of rocks and had the dirt cleared out of it with designs drawn in the sand/dirt. It seemed very weird. At first I thought it to be some border crossers but then I got to thinking that maybe it was some college kids from Sul Ross State U in Alpine. All the stuff seemed like it matched and not just thrown together, sleeping bags, tent and cooler all were same color of red. There were even some hiking boots that had very little wear on them.

Back here at Fort Polk in 2006 I found an undetonated round from an AT-4 laying the grass one day while looking for some deer. It was no where near a range or impact area so I just hung it up on a tree and left it there. I find all kinds of other army stuff around here but most of the time its the usual stuff. But an AT-4 round???? Very odd!

BTW- If you don't know an AT-4 is a very large anti-tank weapon, sorta like the old bazooka.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: iluv2hunt] #1880643 12/01/10 10:02 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: iluv2hunt
Originally Posted By: FRA
Yep...lot of land. Long story with no solution coming in the near future.

Who owns the 69 Camaro. I'll would like to try and purchase it.

It's a '69 Firebird. Tail lights are way different on a Camaro.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: devildog28] #2183110 03/14/11 07:00 PM
T
TXLONGGUN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
While Hunting family land in Brazoria County I Uncovered a Bayonet and was told that was used during Texas revolution

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TXLONGGUN] #2183396 03/14/11 09:55 PM
R
Roughneck Country Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Out at my cousins ranch in Southern Saskatchewan which is just 7 miles north of The Montana border we found an old US Calvary knife, brass buttons, and a few other old things we thought were possible calvary items when we were 13 or 14 at an old abandon homestead they have on their property. Surrounding the old homestead were several tipi rings all throughout their land. A couple years latter we were down at little Big Horn (pretty much straight south of their ranch but many miles away)taking the tour of Custers last stand and we saw some of the same artifacts we had found in this old farm stead in their museum.

Turns out that when the US Calvary had chased them into Canada it was on my cousins land that they hung up on until they starved out and were forced to head back south. The tipi rings and artifacts found on the land were from when they were there. The original homesteader must have found them and put them in their shed when they set the place up.

Other than that haven't found anything interesting.

Trail Cameras & European / Texas / Skull mount brackets available at: www.roughneckcountry.com or e-mail us at roughneck.country@gmail.com
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SATX] #2183584 03/15/11 12:22 AM
S
SemperFiHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
SATX,
My father in law owns a few acres in Covina Hills, Ca. Not too far from Pomona. There was an old Butterfield Stage Stop there because of a natural spring. He has found some interesting stuff there.

It's amazing what the people of that time were able to accomplish with the basic tools that they had.

SFH

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SemperFiHunter] #2183594 03/15/11 12:28 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
property we used to hunt at in walker county had a old (people born in the late 1700's) cemetary on it. probably 15 or 20 graves in it. last person buried there was in 1985.

this year my buddy was walking down a creek on the ranch we were hunting on and found two rocks with pictographs on them, both of people shooting a bow.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #2184199 03/15/11 07:08 AM
S
Switch Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Haven't seen anyone talk about items I have found on one of my leases so here goes. Back about 39 years ago when I first joined the lease I scouted every inch of that 5500 acres. I found old abandoned trucks, an old bus that the logging company used to carry the woods workers to and from, sawed off tree trunks about waist high with a slot cut down th middle for about 6 inches. The log cutters or flat heads as they were called back then used them to put their cross cut saws in and sharpen them. One was almost petrified and was still useable. The most interesting items I found were old hacked up 55 gallon barrels and I thought this was strange out in the middle of th woods. I found them in several different places. Well one day I happened to mention those barrels to an old geazer that owned and lived on an adjoining piece of property. I was totaly at awe when he said they were remanants of whisky stills that had been destroyed by as he put it those dang lawmen. Belive me I was hooked on those stories he had to tell and stopped by his place almost every week to listen to his tales. At one point he told me if I would go to where a certain bridge crossed th CC road and walk up th creek about two bends I would find a piece of pipe sticking out that, that was one of his stills that those dang lawmen never found. Well I found that piece of pipe one day and it was almost rusted completly away.
Later as I would tell him where I had found a set of drums he would say yep that was old so and so he lived on such and such bend or place. As it turned out every drum I found was close in relation to where someone lived and there was a water source near by. The old geizer was later wrote about in a book about th Neches river whisky makers. I had a copy of that book but loaned it to someone and can;t remember who.

It could be uh law I dont no. Yall have uh good un

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Switch] #2184495 03/15/11 02:36 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
X2 on 69 firebird,I've found arrowheads,pottery shards,spear points,curry comb from 1800s,german coin that says its good for one cigar and one beer at Gruene hall,early1900s,all of this on private property about 300 yards from Gruene hall on the Guadalupe.FIL lives behind Adobe Verde in Gruene,can crawl home on your lips from there,life is good!

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #2185173 03/15/11 08:09 PM
Q
Quick Shoot Again Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
South Texas East of Encinal several years ago found wet back camp, they had gone in our hunting shack and stole food only, found the crisco can and flour sack, empty bean cans and where they built a small fire.
In New Mexico several arrow heads will post picture later, one is embedded in a joint bone, another is a long knife or spear point. Walked up on an old ranch house in the mountains west of Carlsbad, Nm. in the early 60s. Looked like they just gathered their clothes and left, everything else was still there. Even had an old wind charger and all of the old glass batteries. I would like to have some of those things now.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Screaming "WHOO HOO What A Ride"

NRA Life Member
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Quick Shoot Again] #2212274 03/29/11 05:56 PM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
This past weekend I was turkey hunting 20 miles east of Goliad. I came upon a swampy area of about 2-3 acres. What I thought at first glance were several moccasins sunning themselves on a culvert passing under the road that split the marshland turned out to be six baby alligators, each about a foot long.

Of course you know what happened next. I took a long slow careful look around myself to make sure momma wasn't nearby. Once I knew I was safe, I was able get a few feet from them as they jumped into the shallow water near the edge of the swamp. That's my additions to "unusual things found while hunting".

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Gacman] #2212900 03/29/11 10:23 PM
C
coachnvill3 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Back in the mid '70s, I was hunting on my grandfather's ranch southwest of Falfurrias in Brooks County. I was walking along a fenceline to my brush blind when I stepped on an old rusted trap. The kind that clamps on an animals leg. Thankfully, it was so old and rusted that it didn't have hardly any spring left and didn't hurt, but it scared the crap out of me, I thought it was a snake that had bit me. Nowadays all I find are wetback camps full of plastic jugs, discarded clothing, and old backpacks. Did hear about a guy in Encino in southern Brooks County that looked through some old backpacks and found $4000 in an old sock. I could only be so lucky!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: coachnvill3] #2212966 03/29/11 10:53 PM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Awesome stuff ............ keep this thread alive.

For me, not much but some arrowheads, old marbles and found some bitters bottle ( Prickley Ash ) but I was looking for the bottles so it wasn't a surprize. Used to hunt for old bottles alot. Dug in Wills Point, Terrell, Celina and walked deep, dry creekbeds around Kemp and Kaufman.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #2217064 03/31/11 07:47 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A couple of years ago on a lease just outside of Big Sandy I was leaving the property and saw a strange set of bones. Took a closer look and it was foot bones. Went to the Police station, woke up the guy and he got all excited. Even though it was out side the city limits it was still something to do. He called in the County and they did a search of the area and found nothing else.
The scary part is they took them to the local doctor and he said it had to be monkey bones. They took them to the vet and he said they were deffinatly human and here is why.
If you are ever Big Sandy and need medical treatment I would go to the vet.

The other weird thing on the property was a metal barrel that was up about 70' in a tree. No one knows how it got there.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: pegasaurus] #2217066 03/31/11 07:49 PM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
A couple of years ago on a lease just outside of Big Sandy I was leaving the property and saw a strange set of bones. Took a closer look and it was foot bones. Went to the Police station, woke up the guy and he got all excited. Even though it was out side the city limits it was still something to do. He called in the County and they did a search of the area and found nothing else.
The scary part is they took them to the local doctor and he said it had to be monkey bones. They took them to the vet and he said they were deffinatly human and here is why.
If you are ever Big Sandy and need medical treatment I would go to the vet.

The other weird thing on the property was a metal barrel that was up about 70' in a tree. No one knows how it got there.

rofl

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #2218367 04/01/11 07:49 AM
S
shark 25-06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
i found a deer, that found my bullet!

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: shark 25-06] #2218811 04/01/11 03:31 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Many years ago, as a child, found a lot of busted up stills in west Tennessee. Walked up on one that was operational. Got out of there fast. Couldn't run fast enough.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: retfuz] #2223158 04/04/11 03:18 AM
S
shark 25-06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
i found a half sunk skeeter in a really large pond i used to fish. i got closer and the boat had been trashed and the engine was gone.

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: shark 25-06] #2224773 04/04/11 10:16 PM
R
Ray338 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
The oddest thing was an ironing board. It was on the side of a mountain in Alaska. There were no roads. Who would strap an ironing board to there backpack and why?
On I deer lease I found two washouts. One had hundreds of old whiskey bottles. One had hundreds of the old tin beer cans that you opened with a church key. There was one real cool bottle that didn't have threads (corked). I took it back to the trail and laid it in the the middle so I wouldn't forget it on my way back. When I got back cows had went down the trail and broke it.

Customize and protect your firearm. Water transfer imaging (camo dipping).
Take your project to the next level.
www.customcamoimaging.com

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: rswarrior] #2226997 04/05/11 10:27 PM
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I have never found anything worth talking about but my dad found his best friend past away in a tree stand when I was young. I had to help him out of the woods. Here is to you Mr. Exton

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Retired Sgt. Gilliam] #2810037 12/05/11 04:48 AM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Cool thread, anyone found anything else? Its been a while.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Texas Heat] #2810082 12/05/11 05:19 AM
D
DeerTamales Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I have stayed up many of times reading this thread... good stuff.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: cbump] #2812631 12/06/11 12:51 AM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Most unusual thing I found last year was cow bones. We haven't had cattle on our land in 20 years and all the gates have cattle guards.

It was pretty weird.

This year all but one pond dried up and we discovered cow bones at the bottom of one of our ponds, Lord knows how long it sat there rotting. sick

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: RocksAndKittens] #2812722 12/06/11 01:14 AM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
an old car way out in the woods with license plates on it from the year I was born. (1954) I got a screwdriver out.

Page 12 of 44 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide