Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1780755 10/27/10 01:56 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
BCs are cheaper at Dicks than Academy...might be the only thing cheaper at Dicks.

There have been at least 20 BC threads in the last two years on here.

Personally I view them like many other more expensive products. Take a hunting coat for example...you can buy a cheap game winner one for $60 or a $300 Under Armor one. Will you still be able to hunt in either...yeah...is the UA one better...sure but is it 5 times better...no. You will always pay a premium for something that's just a little better.

First off we have not established Black clouds are better. Just because they are 3 times the dollar amount does not make them better than any other shell. Every year we mull this over I know. If I owned a company that marketed to the public, the first thing I would do is recruit a market manager. Preferably the one who has marketed Black Cloud shells. Nice box and nice videos of spectacular kills and laying the money on an endorsement (we all know who). Fantastic, I can't hate them for making a nickel or two. I just aint about to fall for a market scheme that has literally created its own cult following. A cult that will actually argue year after year with absolutely no scientific basis in the discussion. The extent of every BC follower's discussion is "I bought a box and killed them dead". You just have to love it!

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: wal1809] #1781024 10/27/10 03:24 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
But Wal you can't say they aren't any better......what proof do you have?

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: JD_HUNTS_TX] #1781035 10/27/10 03:28 PM
D
duckslayer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
dont like black cloud one bit i think they are a waste of money if you are willing to spend that much money on shells i recommend DRYLOK or REMINGTON NITRO STEEL

CUTTERS AND CURLS OUTFITTERS 4699558509
THERMAL HOG HUNTS, DOVE, DUCK, FISHING TRIPS
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: wal1809] #1781036 10/27/10 03:28 PM
K
KevinT. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
BCs are cheaper at Dicks than Academy...might be the only thing cheaper at Dicks.

Personally I view them like many other more expensive products. Take a hunting coat for example...you can buy a cheap game winner one for $60 or a $300 Under Armor one. Will you still be able to hunt in either...yeah...is the UA one better...sure but is it 5 times better...no. You will always pay a premium for something that's just a little better.

First off we have not established Black clouds are better. Just because they are 3 times the dollar amount does not make them better than any other shell. Every year we mull this over I know. If I owned a company that marketed to the public, the first thing I would do is recruit a market manager. Preferably the one who has marketed Black Cloud shells. Nice box and nice videos of spectacular kills and laying the money on an endorsement (we all know who). Fantastic, I can't hate them for making a nickel or two. I just aint about to fall for a market scheme that has literally created its own cult following. A cult that will actually argue year after year with absolutely no scientific basis in the discussion. The extent of every BC follower's discussion is "I bought a box and killed them dead". You just have to love it!

But the deal is they are not 3 times the cost, and in my humble opinion they pattern a few pellets better when choked right, like i said above, every year I buy them from cabelas for $16 or $17 a box by the case, give em a try and then form your opinion.
My opinion isnt worth much but will add that I feel they carry energy a little further than some of the other brands.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: KevinT.] #1781435 10/27/10 05:35 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Your opinion is worth a lot, don't get me wrong. I digress and will say BC is twice the price then.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781450 10/27/10 05:38 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Anyone shot the rio bluesteel? I shoot them and they are great. Cheap too never had any problems

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Erichugh22] #1781464 10/27/10 05:43 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Anyone shot the rio bluesteel? I shoot them and they are great. Cheap too never had any problems

Yep got a flat of 3" #2s a few years ago...always went boom and killed ducks.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: duckslayer7] #1781466 10/27/10 05:44 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: duckslayer7
dont like black cloud one bit i think they are a waste of money if you are willing to spend that much money on shells i recommend DRYLOK or REMINGTON NITRO STEEL

So why are those better?

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: REDGUN] #1781512 10/27/10 05:56 PM
N
NTXBowfisher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: REDGUN

Are the square wad stopper studs on the inside of your Pattern Master getting beat up and knurled looking?

If not, they eventually will.

patternmaster chokes are not approved to shoot black cloud, use the special patternmaster made for black cloud.
but black cloud is not worth it, the shape of the pellets have more wind resistance than regular shot. #2s out of a extended range patternmaster is the only way to.

signature coming soon
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: wal1809] #1781517 10/27/10 05:57 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: devildog28
Yeah they're with it but I don't use them anymore since I put the patternmaster full on my gun. Everything is going to be tight with a full choke.

Are the square wad stopper studs on the inside of your Pattern Master getting beat up and knurled looking?

Not yet. The only little gripe I have is it sometimes comes loose. The porting helps out a little when shooting 3 inch shells which is another plus. I get the best patterns with the Federal speed shocks but with a full there's very little different between patterns.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: wal1809] #1781520 10/27/10 05:58 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

If you are going apples to apples and looking at 3" vs 3" or 3.5" vs 3.5" then you will only find a few shells that are even half the cost of BC. The only one I know of of the top of my head are Experts...and even those are not quite half the cost...close but not half. I saw BC at Dicks for 21.99 yesterday (they will often run coupons where you buy one box get the next half off). As for Experts I think Academy has them priced best in my area and they are around 13.99 I want to say...not quite sure...but they are not $11 which would be half of $22. If you can find me some 3" shells for $7.33 please buy me 5 flats and I'll pay you back when I see you next.

So as to your argument...why are BC better than Experts...it boils down to the components. BC uses much higher quality components vs Experts. Any fool can open one up and literally see the difference. The wads and pellets very easy to notice. When you get down to it the hulls for BC are better than Experts. Experts have cardboard as fillers....because its cheaper than using a better wad like BC. And Wads...regardless of what anyone says to the contrary do make a difference. You can manipulate a pattern with wad selection...making it a tighter or more open pattern. A quality wad will be more consistant to what it's suppose to do vs a cheap wad. See I can prove BC is better if we are talking components...just like I can prove an UnderArmor Jacket is better than a Game Winner one. But when it comes to subjective things like...keeping you warm enough...or killing ducks good enough then there is no way we can settle that on this forum and to try to do so would be ridiculous. The only way WE can really do objective comparisons regarding performance is to pattern the shells...but to do that we would both have to have the same gun and choke for it to mean anything.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781537 10/27/10 06:03 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

If you are going apples to apples and looking at 3" vs 3" or 3.5" vs 3.5" then you will only find a few shells that are even half the cost of BC. The only one I know of of the top of my head are Experts...and even those are not quite half the cost...close but not half. I saw BC at Dicks for 21.99 yesterday (they will often run coupons where you buy one box get the next half off). As for Experts I think Academy has them priced best in my area and they are around 13.99 I want to say...not quite sure...but they are not $11 which would be half of $22. If you can find me some 3" shells for $7.33 please buy me 5 flats and I'll pay you back when I see you next.

So as to your argument...why are BC better than Experts...it boils down to the components. BC uses much higher quality components vs Experts. Any fool can open one up and literally see the difference. The wads and pellets very easy to notice. When you get down to it the hulls for BC are better than Experts. Experts have cardboard as fillers....because its cheaper than using a better wad like BC. And Wads...regardless of what anyone says to the contrary do make a difference. You can manipulate a pattern with wad selection...making it a tighter or more open pattern. A quality wad will be more consistant to what it's suppose to do vs a cheap wad. See I can prove BC is better if we are talking components...just like I can prove an UnderArmor Jacket is better than a Game Winner one. But when it comes to subjective things like...keeping you warm enough...or killing ducks good enough then there is no way we can settle that on this forum and to try to do so would be ridiculous. The only way WE can really do objective comparisons regarding performance is to pattern the shells...but to do that we would both have to have the same gun and choke for it to mean anything.

Dude, are you billing clients right now?

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Moose K] #1781570 10/27/10 06:11 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Lunch break Moose! But hey...that post is still half the average lenth of a Sniper John post.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781589 10/27/10 06:18 PM
K
KillemBoys Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: marcstar
[/quote]

I saw a comparison last season that showed the different pellets from many different loads - many of the shells from economy loads used pellets that could be described in many different ways, but "round" is not one of them - they seemed to be the "drippings" from the steel production; they were irregular and inconsistent. Many of the higher end shells used uniform, round pellets - Kent was the only economy shell to use the high quality pellets.

My problem with BC is the "fight stopper pellets." We all know that an irregular ball flies less straight than a perfectly round ball. So why would we expect an irregular pellet to fly any differently?

In the end I am going to go with science - efficient powder + good wads + perfectly round pellets + good construction = a consistent pattern = dead birds (if you can shoot)

Last edited by KillemBoys; 10/27/10 06:20 PM.
Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: wal1809] #1781615 10/27/10 06:28 PM
K
KevinT. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Your opinion is worth a lot, don't get me wrong. I digress and will say BC is twice the price then.

Thanks WAL,
I have played with a bunch of different shells in my extrema2, the BC's for whatever reason are my #1 Duck killing shell when paired with a mid range BC choke and for sure with a Long Range BC choke.
I can run a box down an 870 with same chokes and really do not see as much a difference between the el cheapo shells and the BC's.
But I just dont care to shoot as much as I do with a pump when my gentle duck kiling machine gets the job done a lot more comfortably.
Now I did learn a huge lesson this weekend, I took that Browning Cynergy that I bought off Judd, out with me to hunt the last morning, I ran the remington heavy shots down the tube and I swear I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with that thing, I went back and grabbed the Extrema and did hit one or two but were not killing the way I like at 30 yards, right in the middle I pulled some BC's out and killed 3 out of the next group.

Now that is for sure not absolute proof, but I had banged about a 1/2 a box of those hevi shots in that crooked barrel Cynergy(which I have been shooting a lot of) when I switched guns it got a little better but when I switched shells it got a lot better.

Im probably just a victim of advertisement, but whatever it takes to kill those ducks!

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: KillemBoys] #1781630 10/27/10 06:34 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: KillemBoys

We all know that an irregular ball flies less straight than a perfectly round ball. So why would we expect an irregular pellet to fly any differently?

Interesting thought but I'm not sure it matters when you are talking shotgun pellets that have a range of + or - 50 yards. It's important to have high quality pellets...being perfectly round is good but I'm more concerned about them all being uniform. So if I get #3 shot...I'm really getting all #3 shot. Also higher quality pellets might be zinc plated to keep them from rusting.

A round ball isnt the most efficient flier. Look at Hevi shot...it's not round or uniform for that matter and patterns very well (I wouldnt know because it twice as crazy expensive as BC but know from seeing patterning work by others). Think about a golf ball and how it's not perfectly smooth rounded...it has dimples to help if fly better. So when applied to flight stopper pellets...I'm not sure those rings are causing much if any noticeable "fly away" from patterns.

I think the other example you could use to show how round balls don't really fly straight is by getting a BB gun and watching BBs curve this way and that...then using a pellet gun. Much more accurate.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781662 10/27/10 06:43 PM
K
KevinT. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I think that is the trick w/ BC.
The wad plus the pellets keep them from spinning as much and carries more energy to the target.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781675 10/27/10 06:47 PM
O
Old_School Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have to go with some of the other guys above, the cost can't be justified to any improvements reaped. Heck if your going to spend a mint on shells get bismuth. Just like lead, but better, a denser element.

Kent Fasteel is a great round and not overpriced. If you are shooting over decoys, the shorter ranges don't really make a heavier shot compound necessary. Back when you could use lead, #6 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 inch dove loads were murder on ducks over decoys.

But as with all things hunting, buy single boxes and find what works best for you and your gun in your particular shooting environment; then stock up when there is a sale on.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Old_School] #1781758 10/27/10 07:08 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It goes to the Law of Diminishing Returns...the more you spend doesnt really give you back an even amount of bang for your buck.

As for Bismuth...nah..that stuff is the same price or more than BC but you only get 10 in a box not 25 so that's not even a comparable option. So really its 2 to 3 times more than BC.

For me I'm ok with going out and spending up to a buck a shot...after that I feel the pain. The extra benefit of Bismuth...or better yet Hevi shot isnt worth $2 to $3 a round to me at all.

For others that pain starts at about .60 to .72 cents a round.

For me I think it is proven you are buying better for the extra you spend but the extra dollars you spend are not giving you an equal amount of extra "good".

Personally I think if you understand this concept you are in good shape. I keep using hunting jackets/coats as an example but the law also applies to shotguns as well. I won't kill 5 times as many ducks with my SBE/Extrema/Maxus (whatever) per hunt as a guy shooting an 870. We would all agree the premium shotgun is the more desirable shotgun but we would not agree on if that premium gun is worth the extra cost...just as we cant agree on BC.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781761 10/27/10 07:09 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Lunch was over two hours ago.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Moose K] #1781797 10/27/10 07:19 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I find consumer spending habits to be fascinating. And I don't know where you work but around here we take 2 hour lunches.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781815 10/27/10 07:22 PM
C
ccvidimos Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I find consumer spending habits to be fascinating. And I don't know where you work but around here we take 2 hour lunches.

on post?! jeez, i don't even get that long....

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781835 10/27/10 07:26 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Maybe you should be in marketing rather than finance.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: ccvidimos] #1781846 10/27/10 07:29 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: ccvidimos

At ease....I was kidding.

Re: Blackcloud shotgun shells [Re: Marcstar] #1781862 10/27/10 07:33 PM
C
ccvidimos Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ccvidimos

At ease....I was kidding.

lol i havern't heard at ease since basic training in '07.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide