Forums46
Topics538,774
Posts9,741,095
Members87,113
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1721765 10/05/10 02:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
28k acres and found 7 miles from the fence.

I'd say 43 sq miles is about as close to LF as you can get.

My point is its not a breeder buck and it wasn't genetical engineer other then by nature.

same thing with the barrett buck.

camp bullis has a pretty strict policy on hunting as well. hunter numbers and harvest are kept pretty low. which we all know leads to big old bucks

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #1721801 10/05/10 02:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thats was my point up

The bucks I mention where native genetics just like Amos's ranch

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1721846 10/05/10 02:59 PM
E
E.C.O. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I guess people don't realize that deer travel on average, no more than 2 sq. miles from their birthsite. Which is the equivalent to 1280 acres. So, don't bash a high fence place over 1280 acres because unless there is a higher driving force, the deer aren't going anywhere anyways!

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: E.C.O.] #1721851 10/05/10 03:01 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
it depends...we see them travel that far daily and they tend to semi-migrate from the pine ridges down to the river when the acorns start falling..but I guess since those can't get shot, they don't really matter.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: rifleman] #1721904 10/05/10 03:16 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
That buck is the crowing achievement of their hard work and patience. Congratulations to them. Just proves what can be done if one is committed enough.

If all hunters in Texas practiced a little more management and let those young bucks walk then we all might have at least a small chance of shooting monster bucks.

My family owns a small place (300+ acres) in San Saba Co. Like most places in the hill country, the genetics are there for some nice deer. The age structure isn't. The bucks never make it beyond their 3rd year generally. I haven't hunted my own property in more than 10 years simply because my idiot neighbors shoot anything they see with hair or bone. Wish I could afford to high fence them out.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: E.C.O.] #1721908 10/05/10 03:17 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: E.C.O.
I guess people don't realize that deer travel on average, no more than 2 sq. miles from their birthsite. Which is the equivalent to 1280 acres. So, don't bash a high fence place over 1280 acres because unless there is a higher driving force, the deer aren't going anywhere anyways!

Don't want to get involved in the high fence/low fence/no fence debate...but I hunt on a 10k acre ranch in West Texas and we see deer travel much farther than 2 miles. I have set on a ridge and watched a group of deer travel over 3 miles and were still moving when they crossed over the next ridge. We have pictures of the same bucks at different feeders that are over 6 miles away as the crow flies.

2 Square Miles might be "average", but it isn't unusual for them to travel much farther on my place.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: txshntr] #1721927 10/05/10 03:20 PM
E
E.C.O. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: E.C.O.

Don't want to get involved in the high fence/low fence/no fence debate...but I hunt on a 10k acre ranch in West Texas and we see deer travel much farther than 2 miles. I have set on a ridge and watched a group of deer travel over 3 miles and were still moving when they crossed over the next ridge. We have pictures of the same bucks at different feeders that are over 6 miles away as the crow flies.

2 Square Miles might be "average", but it isn't unusual for them to travel much farther on my place.

All it is is an average, like I said. I have managed deer for 15+years, I know deer "travel" farther that that. But they typically reside, if you will, no further than 2 sq miles from birth.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: txshntr] #1721943 10/05/10 03:26 PM
L
lkendrick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I personally hunt on a ranch that is a little over 1200 acres, low fenced. We see the same deer year after year, day after day, with the exception of a few. If 1200 acres is enough range for them to roam but still stay in the pasture, what's to say 4000 acres is too small? Nature can do miraculous things. I have no doubt in my mind that this may be one of them. Couple the ranch's management techniques with nature's way of doing things, and great things can happen. I believe the buck is native. Afterall, anything can happen.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #1723876 10/06/10 01:50 AM
F
FowledUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I can't believe anybody would criticize a deer of this magnatude.

I read a post earlier stating that he passed him up at 220 and six years old because "he knew he was in a high fence and could't leave"

there are 365 things that could have happed to that deer to end his life besides a bullet or arrow. coyotes, stress, drought, getting in a fight, etc.......all these things can and do happen to mature bucks on a regular basis. for him to let a deer like that walk shows DEDICATION that 1% of the hunting population has. for you to say something like that just reeks of jealousy.

all this bull**** about "oh, he shot it under a high fence on MLD, a 160 class low fence buck would be more impressive, you can take that 160 and put it where the sun don't shine, I'll take you to a ton of ranches, low fence, that have produced 160 in deer. Hell, I'll take you to some that have produced 180's and one that produced a 197.....low fence/no protien.

I would agree that this deer, had it been pen raised, cross bred with northern genetics, etc, would't be nothing to write home about, but its 100% native, grown on what 10,000 other ranches are doin with their herds.

what this buck represents, is what can be done with proper herd management. No need for outside genetics, DMP pens, just good old texas stock and some time and good groceries.

Way to go Mr. Barrett. Looking forward to seeing that buck at the los cazadores awards banquet next year!

Take me to some of these ranches you speak of pleeaaaasssse!!!!!

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: LandPirate] #1723952 10/06/10 02:14 AM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
That buck is the crowing achievement of their hard work and patience. Congratulations to them. Just proves what can be done if one is committed enough.

If all hunters in Texas practiced a little more management and let those young bucks walk then we all might have at least a small chance of shooting monster bucks.

My family owns a small place (300+ acres) in San Saba Co. Like most places in the hill country, the genetics are there for some nice deer. The age structure isn't. The bucks never make it beyond their 3rd year generally. I haven't hunted my own property in more than 10 years simply because my idiot neighbors shoot anything they see with hair or bone. Wish I could afford to high fence them out.

got the same problem around kerrville luckily for me less people are hunting it would make me happy to see them all leave or stop huntin my brother and dad are on a lease in south texas for this reason and as soon as i get outta college and have the money hopefully i will be there 1700 acres of low fence beautiful but back to the point if everyone practiced deer managment it would definately increse the odds of shooting a hell of a trophy for the area you hunt of course hill country deer can grow to the 150's just have to be passed on definately should be an average of shootin 130s and 140s if managment catches on and more and more people are the information just has to be put out there and gotten to people with some sense

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: redseal] #1724292 10/06/10 04:02 AM
L
lkendrick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: redseal

got the same problem around kerrville luckily for me less people are hunting it would make me happy to see them all leave or stop huntin my brother and dad are on a lease in south texas for this reason and as soon as i get outta college and have the money hopefully i will be there 1700 acres of low fence beautiful but back to the point if everyone practiced deer managment it would definately increse the odds of shooting a hell of a trophy for the area you hunt of course hill country deer can grow to the 150's just have to be passed on definately should be an average of shootin 130s and 140s if managment catches on and more and more people are the information just has to be put out there and gotten to people with some sense

I'd step up the grammar a little before I tried graduating. wink

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: redchevy] #1724764 10/06/10 01:22 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: redchevy
For all the jealsous winey babies...

The only thing a high fence does on a place like that is keep the neighbors from shooting him before he got where he is.

I have 330 acres in south texas, it is low fence, and we feed corn, protein, and have lots of good food plots. Why wont we ever shoot deer close to being that big??? because they will get shot before they get the chance, genetics has little to do with it if you dont let them mature.

That is an awsome deer, I love the trash, great job and keep it up, I want my old man to get a good one too, prob wont be that good but great to us.

matt

You are exactly right Matt and if you were to HF your place you could let those great young bucks walk and raise some 6.5+ year old monsters but then you'd have to handle the wrath of all the people on here when you post your great deer! I can just see it now when you post your 170" deer. The very first question is HF or LF!!!

A buddy of mine got tired of this same thing and since two sides of his was already HF, he bit the bullet and fenced the rest of his 600+/- acres. It is truly amazing 6 years later on what he has running around inside that almost 1 sq mile! Good luck to you with your place.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #1725069 10/06/10 02:58 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I don't care either way, but what it does show is that the Rack has become the MOST important part of the hunt to some people.

I blame TTH and the ego.

Bow Only
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: AdvTX] #1725490 10/06/10 04:51 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: AdventureTX
I don't care either way, but what it does show is that the Rack has become the MOST important part of the hunt to some people.

I blame TTH and the ego.

Didnt b&c start the big antler/horn club .

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: Tye] #1725564 10/06/10 05:09 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Tye

I blame TTH and the ego.

yelp!!! up that damn Teddy Roosevelt and his Boone and Crocket club

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1725586 10/06/10 05:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Tye

I blame TTH and the ego.

yelp!!! up that damn Teddy Roosevelt and his Boone and Crocket club

up Yep ain't it a shame that a man over 100 yrs ago had the foresight to see the value of wildlife and what tha mean't to a nation to preserve them for all of us to enjoy today. It's a shame that we can't do that today...oh wait that is what they call wildlife management.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: AdvTX] #1725606 10/06/10 05:22 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
\
Well, I've always said that a doe taste better then any buck I've ever eaten anyways so if someone claims to be a meat eater there are plenty of very reasonably priced doe hunts to be had and last I checked there are 5 tags that can be used for does on everybody's license!

I blame TTH and the ego.

I do to! Thanks to the TTHA and other groups like them we now have a larger, more healthy deer herd with much, MUCH better bucks then we've ever had before! Thanks TTHA!

Not trying to be a smart azz here but the fact remains that if you are not interested in large antlers, kill does because they do eat much better then a rutted up buck.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: stxranchman] #1725624 10/06/10 05:28 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Yep ain't it a shame that a man over 100 yrs ago had the foresight to see the value of wildlife and what tha mean't to a nation to preserve them for all of us to enjoy today. It's a shame that we can't do that today...oh wait that is what they call wildlife management.

Yes, pretty amazing that over 100 years ago people were interested in big horns / animals and enough so that the formed this organization to compete with one another! Like it or not, almost everything we do is a competition in one way or another from little league baseball to our jobs! If I do not do my job better then the next guy why would a customer come back to me for more work? So yes, even our jobs are a competition of sorts. It is just the way of the World, pure and simple.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #1725704 10/06/10 05:55 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
So with all this said, I guess the race is on to see who can produce the first 400" deer. Or is he in the making already?.......

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: Lazy L] #1725825 10/06/10 06:27 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Keith Stone
So with all this said, I guess the race is on to see who can produce the first 400" deer. Or is he in the making already?.......

Probley in the making if we get even more rain this summer... and everyone uses their doe tags like TPWD recommends this year since this is third year of awsome fawn recuitment.

But to be serious I have already showed you two buck in texas that where already very close to the 300 mark on free range so whats still your problem? confused2

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1725916 10/06/10 06:47 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Keith Stone

Probley in the making if we get even more rain this summer... and everyone uses their doe tags like TPWD recommends this year since this is third year of awsome fawn recuitment.

But to be serious I have already showed you two buck in texas that where already very close to the 300 mark on free range so whats still your problem?
confused2

I don't remember asking for any free range deer close to the 300 mark, but thank you. (meaning have no idea what you are talking about)

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1725920 10/06/10 06:48 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The 1st 400" deer already happend I am pretty sure. Not a free range deer but over 400.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: TxTechsan] #1725942 10/06/10 06:52 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Sudden Impact was over 400" wasn't it?

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: rifleman] #1725973 10/06/10 06:58 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I think the High Roller deer was too or very close to it.

Re: Possible New State Record Whitetail Deer. [Re: rifleman] #1725984 10/06/10 07:00 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
WHOA I never said that I didn't want to shoot a big buck! My dream is a 150 with my bow! and what I meant about TTH is that every page in the mag is 200" pen deer.

Bow Only
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide