Forums46
Topics538,649
Posts9,739,556
Members87,102
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Armalite260] #1683435 09/20/10 02:54 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
These hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. They've got everybody convinced that in order to be a successful deer hunter you have to have the latest, sexiest rifle in the latest WSM caliber while wearing the latest camo pattern and scent cover and attracting deer with best foods and scents and calls on the market.

Bottom line, our grandpa's went out wearing coveralls and red flannel shirts with an iron sight 30-30 and killed plenty of deer. They did it without feeders and game cams or $10,000 ATV's. And they probably did it while smoking cigarettes and coughing their lungs out.

Don't buy into the all the hype.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: LAstrutter] #1683487 09/20/10 03:11 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: LAstrutter
Originally Posted By: Gus McRae
Here's a story:

A guy on my old lease has a cousin who is a cameraman for some of these hunting shows. He said you'd be shocked at how fake all of the hunting is.

I don't think we are shocked at all. I believe most of us know what is going on with these hunting shows.

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't watched these shows in 5 years. Highly edited, and it's not even like they do a good job of editing.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Armalite260] #1683510 09/20/10 03:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Mchambless
MikeHoncho.. I agree!! Most hunting shows do not impress me.. If they are as GOOD as they think.. Let's see them hunt on some public land and kill a "MONSTER".. Davy Crockett National Forrest or something like that..

you can't kill a monster deer where they don't exist.

alot of hunting shows hunt public land in other states, but fact of the matter is, aside from some drawn hunts in other areas, east texas deer hunting on public land is less than desirable

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: txtrophy85] #1683539 09/20/10 03:29 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Mchambless
MikeHoncho.. I agree!! Most hunting shows do not impress me.. If they are as GOOD as they think.. Let's see them hunt on some public land and kill a "MONSTER".. Davy Crockett National Forrest or something like that..

you can't kill a monster deer where they don't exist.

alot of hunting shows hunt public land in other states, but fact of the matter is, aside from some drawn hunts in other areas, east texas deer hunting on public land is less than desirable

They exist in crockett but it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. They want to go where a trophy deer is nearly gauranteed.

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: txhunter24] #1683602 09/20/10 03:52 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Hunting shows are all pretty much the same. You've seen one, you've seen them all. Now the trend is to get a married couple hosting the show with the wife being hot. Most of the hunting shows are just infomercials for sponsors (note all the product placement that goes on during the shows) and for the ranches they are hutning on. Plus like I've said before, I get tired of all the whispering. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. IMO

Last edited by Curly; 09/20/10 03:56 PM.
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Curly] #1683616 09/20/10 03:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Curly
Hunting shows are all pretty much the same. You've seen one, you've seen them all and I get tired of all the whispering. Most of them are just infomercials for their sponsors, their hot wives and for the ranches they are hutning on. IMO.

yeah man, can't stand hot wives, makes me sick
sick

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: txtrophy85] #1684087 09/20/10 07:21 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I agree.. Most of E. TX hunting isn't desirable.. However I was using Davy Crocket as an example. Some do hunt on public land, elk, bear.... etc.. I don't see them doing that much in TX, or KS, or MO.. Most are private ranches.. Now that I think about it.. I'm just jealous I can't afford to do that... LOL

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: MetroCat07] #1684345 09/20/10 08:39 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: MetroCat07
I try to watch just cause I wanna see some hunting especially when I'm gettin pumped this time of year but the horrible heavy metal music, don't get me wrong I like some of it but it isn't propper for the hunting culture IMO. The ridiculous commercials and intros making all these bozo's out to be like rock stars riding Harleys etc. Magical potions to spray around your area to lure'em in and sprays to make you not smell. And the constant talk of trophy this, trophy that, scores, mass blah blah blah. I thought hunting was about being outdoors, exercissing that instinct in man to hunt and harvesting what nature has to offer for food.

If your into that fine, it's just annoying to me, my opinion.

I'm gonna try to find some old school hunting shows on DVD like Fred Bear etc.

Any suggestions?

ETA: Also, what current shows do you like if you think like me?

"Dancing with the Stars" comes on tonight so I was informed by my wife.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: scattergun] #1684390 09/20/10 08:58 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
So what do you guys think about that show called, " On your own adventures"? I think the guys name is Randy and he only hunts public land. You guys like that kind of show or only the bigguns getting slaughtered? I prefer the d-i-y show but my brother in law says, "He never kills anything big" so he hates it. Your thoughts???

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: LandPirate] #1684429 09/20/10 09:10 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
These hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. They've got everybody convinced that in order to be a successful deer hunter you have to have the latest, sexiest rifle in the latest WSM caliber while wearing the latest camo pattern and scent cover and attracting deer with best foods and scents and calls on the market.

Bottom line, our grandpa's went out wearing coveralls and red flannel shirts with an iron sight 30-30 and killed plenty of deer. They did it without feeders and game cams or $10,000 ATV's. And they probably did it while smoking cigarettes and coughing their lungs out.

Don't buy into the all the hype.

Dont they could pay the bills with coverall, red flannel shirt iron sights commercials.....just sayin.....Be glad we have a channel devoted to what we love to do, we get to see all types of styles of hunting from trophy deer to Hippos. Heck, we ought to thank everyone of those guys for doing what they do so we can show our kids hunting shows and tweek there intrests, I know it has with my two boys and my little girl.

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: grout-scout] #1684435 09/20/10 09:11 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
My uncle was hired to film a hunt in south Texas. They were going to shoot the "gazebo buck", which got its name because every night he slept under a gazebo just off the front porch of the ranch house. The day of the hunt came, and for HOURS, they spent setting up multiple camera angles to try and get the gazebo out of the camera shot. The buck would go to the feeder, just a few yards away, but they couldn't get the gazebo out of the shot (and maintain a "woodsy" feel). Finally, the filming was called off, the buck was shot under the gazebo.

I 100% dislike the shooting of breeder bucks and having to hear someone brag about it. Lame.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: grout-scout] #1684618 09/20/10 10:19 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
So what do you guys think about that show called, " On your own adventures"? I think the guys name is Randy and he only hunts public land. You guys like that kind of show or only the bigguns getting slaughtered? I prefer the d-i-y show but my brother in law says, "He never kills anything big" so he hates it. Your thoughts???

yep I like this one........and cameron haynes is watchable.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: westtex75] #1685035 09/21/10 01:08 AM
O
o2bwest Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Gary Roberson is filming the first season of his new show now. It is called Carnivore and will be on Pursuit in 2011. It will not be your typical hunting show. Gary is a world class predator man and that's what his show is all about. Heres the link to the trailer http://www.vimeo.com/11564449 .

[Linked Image]

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: o2bwest] #1685135 09/21/10 01:39 AM
M
MogulRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Jack Brittingham used to be on TV and his shows are great because he is actually intelligent. If you want to watch something then go ahead and get his DVDs he is a Texas hunter that has ranches in East Texas and South Texas but he hunts all over the country/world

[Linked Image]
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: MetroCat07] #1685353 09/21/10 02:46 AM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Stompy nailed it. Just infomercials, and most of them shot from inside high fence zoos.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: retfuz] #1685435 09/21/10 03:08 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
That's why I like Jimmy Big Time. His show is not one big infomercial and yes it is stupid because...it's supposed to be stupid. It's nothing but a "comedy" show and mixed in with all the "serious" hunting show infomercials, I think it's refreshing and cool. I'm big into all types of comedy and I just got his best of season 1 DVD in the mail. It was $9.99 with free shipping from his website. Can't wait to watch it.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Curly] #1685626 09/21/10 04:33 AM
M
MogulRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Maybe my humor is a bit different but it has seem that all of the "comedy" hunting shows/tv I've seen are all slapstick humor and it takes away from the actual validity of the hunt itself. What is his style like?

[Linked Image]
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: MogulRanch] #1685634 09/21/10 04:40 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted by AllenTAMU
Maybe my humor is a bit different but it has seem that all of the "comedy" hunting shows/tv I've seen are all slapstick humor and it takes away from the actual validity of the hunt itself. What is his style like?

You probably won't like it then....there's no valid hunting or fishing on his show. He acts like he's the end all be all of outdoor show hosts when all he is, is a big goober but it's all scripted. It is what it is.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: RobertY] #1686094 09/21/10 02:30 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RobertYuras

I 100% dislike the shooting of breeder bucks and having to hear someone brag about it. Lame.

i would support a ban on shooting deer raised in pens for the purpose of hunting them.

I rode around with a whitetail breeder, who had a select group of clients who purchased deer ranging from 150 up to over 200 i believe. he had a 200 acre pasture that he would release these deer in, that was pretty much like a park, where everything else was killed off except for maybe a doe or two they could't get.

this guy would release these deer, then sit with the hunters and "guide" them to their prize.

he was sitting there in the truck telling me this like it was a great adventure, he said, man, you can't believe the adrenaline rush you get from seeing a 200 in deer comming into the feeder.

he was bumfuzzled at the fact that i kept disagreeing with him, saying I could never shoot a deer that was raised in a pen its whole life then stick it up on the wall and brag to my buddies about it.

I am all for high fences and management of a place, but that is going WAY to far imo. If i ever get to old to hunt anything other than a breeder buck, then i'm to old to hunt.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: MogulRanch] #1686239 09/21/10 03:12 PM
T
t george Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: AllenTAMU
Jack Brittingham used to be on TV and his shows are great because he is actually intelligent. If you want to watch something then go ahead and get his DVDs he is a Texas hunter that has ranches in East Texas and South Texas but he hunts all over the country/world

went to high school with his son and daughter... They seem to genuinely love hunting, They do hunt on some hi fence places, but weather the hunt is good or bad for them doesn't seem to depend on what was killed...

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Curly] #1686334 09/21/10 03:49 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Curly, that looks more like a comedy show than a hunting show kind of deal. I have never seen that guys show before. Then again, I dont really watch a lot of the hunting shows at all. I will go to youtube and see some of the generic stuff on there. I get more enjoyment out of the stuff on there seeing people just showing basic raw footage of their own personal hunts. It seems more real to me most of the time.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Curtis] #1686407 09/21/10 04:16 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I once saw a DVD I think it was at Academy a couple of years ago that was made up of nothing but folks who had sent in homemade videos of their deer hunts. From what it looked like on the back of the DVD box, there wasn't many "trophy" bucks taken on it but to me, that made the DVD look really cool. I wish I had bought it. I haven't seen it since.

Last edited by Curly; 09/21/10 04:24 PM.
Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: Curly] #1686423 09/21/10 04:23 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Have a buddy that's got a really nice HF place. Huge deer - have taken a couple 200" bucks.

They get calls from those shows all the time asking to shoot their best deer in exchange for "free advertising". To date, I believe their response has been a laugh and a "click".

Most of them are complete crocks.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: cameron00] #1686504 09/21/10 04:56 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
There are a few Good shows, although I can't stand Big Time. Yes I watch The Crush, but only because my daughter likes it, because there is a girl hunter on it. And if Tiffany being on TV makes the sport more attractive to women, then I am all for it.
I like "The Professionals", "Tracks Across Africa", "Best of the West", and several others.
My favortie is the Duck Commander show, considering the first hunting vidoes I ever saw back in the days of VHS was theirs. They crack me up.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows [Re: grout-scout] #1686646 09/21/10 05:45 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I liked the show when I could get it. He strikes out like most hunters.

Old Soldier
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide