Forums46
Topics538,597
Posts9,739,007
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: youthinthewild] #1662733 09/11/10 04:06 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
After I read over the thread I bagan to reflect back on the old days or at least old days to me. I killed my first deer in 1979 sitting in the seat of a 1977 F-250 shooting a Winchester Model 43 Rifle chambered in 218 Bee. I cherish those days of hunting with my grandfather and dad as one is dead now and the other gave up hunting. We never had a "stand" or feeder other than sitting in a brush pile bordering a wheat field planted for cattle to graze on. I killed my best deer in those days and truly appreciated the honor to hunt a 12,000 acre ranch for free all those years. As the years go on, times change and people find different ways to make a living and so forth. I do like all the new guns, scopes, and premium bullets that we now have. They are obvoiusly not necessary, but times have changed and we can purchase them now if we choose. I could do without alot of the other BS on the market and choose to not buy it. The fact that hunting has gone commercial is a reality that began many years ago. Todays hunters IMO need to carry on the tradition with their kids and continue to teach them how to respect others property, hunt, fish, woodsmanship, etc. The old days are just that, old. One hates to see them go, but they are gone.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: LonestarCobra] #1662741 09/11/10 04:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
. As the years go on, times change and people find different ways to make a living and so forth. I do like all the new guns, scopes, and premium bullets that we now have. They are obvoiusly not necessary, but times have changed and we can purchase them now if we choose. I could do without alot of the other BS on the market and choose to not buy it. The fact that hunting has gone commercial is a reality that began many years ago. Todays hunters IMO need to carry on the tradition with their kids and continue to teach them how to respect others property, hunt, fish, woodsmanship, etc. The old days are just that, old. One hates to see them go, but they are gone.

i think people are here getting their feelings hurt cause the "good ole days" are gone, but in reality, its partly their fault to blame. I chearished the time I spent in homeade box blinds, but eventually the family got tired of having them, and bought nice metal blinds. I wasn't goin to complain. same thing with our feeders that are rigged with solar panels, no having to worry about the feeder not going off. I hear all the time "when i was young we never had any feeders and I sat in the crotch of a tree to kill my deer". I've done that too, but if you wanna upgrade, go ahead, if not, thats your choice as well.

people relished the game they killed with iron sighted 30-30, but obviously something happend along the way to make that inadquite in certain situations or everyone would still be carrying them.

I would be willing to bet, that 80% of the people who commented on this thread about how good it "used" to be, hunt over a feeder, with a scoped rifle, and own a 4 wheeler or UTV.

if it was so good back then, throw the feeders away, take the scope off your rifle, go by a few pieces of plywood and slap them together and make a blind, no one is stopping anyone from doing that.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 09/11/10 04:17 PM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1662766 09/11/10 04:28 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
[/quote]

if it was so good back then, throw the feeders away, take the scope off your rifle, go by a few pieces of plywood and slap them together and make a blind, no one is stopping anyone from doing that.

I agree with you. One can hunt using the methods he chooses. I still like to bring the 30-30 or 45-70 lever gun out for hunts and sit next to a tree and do some rattling, but most of the time the box blind gets my attention.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: LonestarCobra] #1662777 09/11/10 04:38 PM
Y
youthinthewild Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Txtrophy take 10 boys and 5 volunteers out you can barely afford to have a truck with tires on it LOL.

"CHAMPIONING THE CAUSE OF FATHERLESS BOYS GETTING OUTDOORS ON HUNTING AND FISHING ADVENTURES"
11,000,000 fatherless boys (Will you take one outdoors???)
compassadventures.org
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: youthinthewild] #1662801 09/11/10 04:55 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: youthinthewild
Txtrophy take 10 boys and 5 volunteers out you can barely afford to have a truck with tires on it LOL.

There you go...the good ol' days are back again! up

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Justin T] #1662873 09/11/10 06:15 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Commercialization has changed the sport but perhaps it's also kept it alive in times like now. We need new hunters to replace those no longer hunting to keep the sport alive. More hunters are needed to also help secure our gun rights. As long as there are several venues to choose from, I not against the commercialization of hunting. Remember-we need to attract more hunters and shooters.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: BurrOak] #1663175 09/11/10 09:14 PM
T
tholloway Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
There was nothing like being with your Grandpa, sitting in a cold blind, or swapping old tales ( lies )with friends and families. I may not bag the monster buck, or for that manner fire a shot all season. Its like the ad " GET OUTDOORS".

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: tholloway] #1663796 09/12/10 02:43 AM
C
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
i remember the good ol' days and the cold nights in a haybarn and hearing a rattler set off somewhere in the cabin. and i wouldn't give up those times for anything. however just like everything in america we always look to improve things and sometimes not always for the better. but it is nice to have a sealed camper were most likely all you have to worry about is a field mice at worse.

The prices have gone up and they will continue to go up like everything else. And as stated before if you compare the prices of the land to what the rancher collects for lease money it don't even cover the land taxes in a lot of cases,and in some cases they don't even have to run livestock or farm.

We need all the hunters we can get, because even though hunting is big business and the revenue is up the customer base is dwindling.

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: cibolo] #1664362 09/12/10 04:11 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: cibolo
i remember the good ol' days and the cold nights in a haybarn and hearing a rattler set off somewhere in the cabin. and i wouldn't give up those times for anything. however just like everything in america we always look to improve things and sometimes not always for the better. but it is nice to have a sealed camper were most likely all you have to worry about is a field mice at worse.

The prices have gone up and they will continue to go up like everything else. And as stated before if you compare the prices of the land to what the rancher collects for lease money it don't even cover the land taxes in a lot of cases,and in some cases they don't even have to run livestock or farm.

We need all the hunters we can get, because even though hunting is big business and the revenue is up the customer base is dwindling.

this about sums it up!

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Buckshot_Burton] #1664904 09/12/10 08:36 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Buckshot_Burton
What happened to the days when you were the only deer hunter on your street, in your city???

Chances are, you're still the only deer hunter on your street.

A sport where men once put forth the effort to actually "hunt" deer has replaced with nothing more than "shooting" them. As a kid, I can remember when the sporting goods section of any store consisted of nothing more than guns, ammo, boots, and military-style camo. If you had asked about feeders or corn, the clerk would thought you were crooked and/or crazy. All too often today, hunting skills are nothing more than being able to fire two or three shots a year, and knowing enough about basic carpentry so that you can sit warm and hidden long enough to wait for something to show up and eat.

If the anti's wanted to stand behind the claim that hunting has been replaced with just growing deer to shoot them, most of us wouldn't have a valid comeback.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1664915 09/12/10 08:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring
What happened to the days when you were the only deer hunter on your street, in your city???

The commercialization of what was once a sport where men put forth the effort to actually "hunt" deer has been replaced with nothing more than "shooting" them. The sporting goods section of any store consisted of nothing more than guns, ammo, boots, and military-style camo. And of course if you had asked about feeders or corn, the clerk would thought of you as being crooked and/or crazy. For most today, hunting skills are nothing more than being able to fire two or three shots a year at most, and knowing enough about basic carpentry so that you can sit warm and hidden long enough to wait for something to show up and eat.

Most game today is killed in a cafeteria shooting ( at a feeder ) or drive by shooting ( out of a vehicle). Why? Due to the time people have to hunt and the size of the property they hunt on. Skill only need be what you posted. Many still have great woodsman skills though but their numbers are fading fast.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: stxranchman] #1665377 09/12/10 11:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

The commercialization of what was once a sport where men put forth the effort to actually "hunt" deer has been replaced with nothing more than "shooting" them. The sporting goods section of any store consisted of nothing more than guns, ammo, boots, and military-style camo. And of course if you had asked about feeders or corn, the clerk would thought of you as being crooked and/or crazy. For most today, hunting skills are nothing more than being able to fire two or three shots a year at most, and knowing enough about basic carpentry so that you can sit warm and hidden long enough to wait for something to show up and eat.

Most game today is killed in a cafeteria shooting ( at a feeder ) or drive by shooting ( out of a vehicle). Why? Due to the time people have to hunt and the size of the property they hunt on. Skill only need be what you posted. Many still have great woodsman skills though but their numbers are fading fast.

not to mention, in some areas (south tx brush and east texas pine trees come to mind) thats the best way to hunt, because of the terrain

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1665392 09/12/10 11:56 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
also a safety issue so you know where ppl should be while they are hunting.

To be honest I've never really given much though about what woodsman skills are.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: rifleman] #1665411 09/13/10 12:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman
also a safety issue so you know where ppl should be while they are hunting.

To be honest I've never really given much though about what woodsman skills are.

besides being able to shoot straight and having the know how to take care of your game after the kill, what else is there?

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1665505 09/13/10 12:41 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I don't know what else there is that really stands out.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: rifleman] #1665989 09/13/10 03:06 AM
N
NTX270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
(just wondering how many over 50 year olds are reading this topic and smiling at the fact that several under 30 year olds are talking about the "good ole days") smirk

There are relatively very few things in life you can hang your hat on ... one of them is that times always have, and always will, change.

You can just hear the elders of the clan standing at the front of the cave saying, "These kids today with the wheel and fire ... I miss the good ole days". loco_too

Last edited by NTX270; 09/13/10 03:08 AM.

Originally Posted By: Navasot
fuel, beer, snuff
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Buckshot_Burton] #1666042 09/13/10 03:21 AM
B
BORN2HUNT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I know exactly what your saying buddy. Ive hunted with my Dad and brother for many years now. I just turned 30 and took my boy who is 4 on his first dove hunt opening weekend. And if it wasnt for free hunting we wouldnt have gotten to go. Im lucky to have great family and friends that let me enjoy what I love to do. And I see the aggrevation when 1 guy does bust his arse scouting, clearing, building, plowing, planting, etc to get ready for hunting and the other guy who drives to the HF gets taken to a blind and shoots muy grande. The differnece when the first guy gets his Muy it will mean a hell of alot more buddy. I like to laugh at some (and i mean some not all) of the big city guys who come into town head to toe camo, face paint, $10,000 rides on trailers, and that was just dove season..LMAO. It seems like its a competition of who has nicer stuff. I proved the high dollar gun bit opening dove weekend. I limited out with my friends $170 mossberg 12 gauge while Mr. $2000 benelli got 5 birds. lol I drive to my 10 acres, sit in my blind me and my old man built and enjoy the hunt just like when I was 9. I say hunt how we were taught and let the other guys hunt their way. And thank god we all still have the right to get out there and enjoy the wildlife.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: NTX270] #1666295 09/13/10 06:12 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: NTX270
(just wondering how many over 50 year olds are reading this topic and smiling at the fact that several under 30 year olds are talking about the "good ole days") smirk

There are relatively very few things in life you can hang your hat on ... one of them is that times always have, and always will, change.

You can just hear the elders of the clan standing at the front of the cave saying, "These kids today with the wheel and fire ... I miss the good ole days". loco_too

Or when the good old days was a trip to Colorado because deer were not plentiful enough to even hunt for a lot of people. I made my first trip to Colorado in 1950, because there was no deer in Runnels county. I did not see a deer in Runnels county until about the 1960's.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: dogcatcher] #1666623 09/13/10 02:10 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: NTX270

Or when the good old days was a trip to Colorado because deer were not plentiful enough to even hunt for a lot of people. I made my first trip to Colorado in 1950, because there was no deer in Runnels county. I did not see a deer in Runnels county until about the 1960's.

thats a good point....most people always assumed that texas was chock-full of deer. they have no clue that the majoraty of the state didn't have huntable populations till the 1970's

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: cibolo] #1666767 09/13/10 03:02 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: cibolo

Well said!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Jimbo] #1668193 09/13/10 11:34 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I hunted in those old days when we used hand me down 30-30 rifles that were well worn with iron sights, and parts missing off of them, and also the old military rifles you could buy at any Fed Mart or Gibsons. There wasn't much for camo gear and the old blue jeans and a plaid flannel shirt usually in red was what broke up your outline against the brush, but you wanted to be seen and if you were lucky, you were able to buy one of those new fangled flourescent orange caps.

Your ATV was an old beat up two wheel drive pickup with mud tires on the back wheels, and your blinds might be an old shipping crate if you where lucky, but most of the time it was an old folding chair or a cedar post wedged between two limbs, and some 2x4 nailed to the tree for steps.

The old camp had a pot bellied wood stove and cots to sleep on under a canvas tarp fashioned tent to break the wind, with plywood walls and floor to keep out the critters and rain.

Usually you saw a forked antler that was a legal buck, and if you were lucky you got to bring him back to camp and hang him on the meat pole, and we couldn't shoot does or spikes back then.

We had fun, but now that I think about it and have seen it grow and become big business, I feel it's made deer hunting better and opened up more opportunity to more hunters than those early days.

Like said above, there isn't any use complaining about it because the old days are not comming back and I wouldn't want them to because I'm having more fun nowdays and enjoying the hunt even more.

x2! A new pair of Sears Husky's jeans and a red flannel shirt...... back when a lease was $50. Times have changed, when I flew the coop and had to pay for a lease, my newly wed wife could believe I(we) were going to spend $300. for me to go hunt, muchless where it would come from. But again times have changed... the 2 wheel drive is now a side by side and a cheap lease is $15-2000. Kids aren't allowed to have a gun in their gun racks and that 1.5 yo 3 point isn't a monster!
Times have changed, some for the good, some for the bad.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: hoof n wings] #1670111 09/14/10 05:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I'm sure there are others like me who find the greatest issue in how commercialization of the sport has brought about a significant drop in respect for the resource. And this includes placing great value on the ability of the animal to elude and avoid hunters. Before the days of food plots and feeders, ANY deer was considered a trophy because it took a lot more knowledge and skill than it does today to find and shoot one. It was also a time when the value of the meat meant as much if not more than the value of the antlers.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1670231 09/14/10 06:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Before the days of food plots and feeders, ANY deer was considered a trophy because it took a lot more knowledge and skill than it does today to find and shoot one. It was also a time when the value of the meat meant as much if not more than the value of the antlers.

don't know how much truth there is to this.....its not hard to knock off a deer walking down a game trail. it dosen't take a degree in wildlife biology to figure out that if your watch that well worn path thru the trees thats littered with deer tracks, odds are one will walk down it again soon and then you'll have your deer.

feeders and foodplots just concentrate them more.

Many of deer, big ones too, have been dropped in a apple or pear orchard or under a acorn producing oak tree as well.

I think alot of people make whitetails out to be alot smarter than they are.

its not about (at least for me) outsmarting a deer and bringing it home, its not about the deer meat either, personally, i think whitetail, with the exception of dried sausage, tastes like doo-doo. its about having fun. the second it stops becomming fun, is when I will quit

Last edited by txtrophy85; 09/14/10 06:12 PM.

Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1671280 09/15/10 12:11 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Before the days of food plots and feeders, ANY deer was considered a trophy because it took a lot more knowledge and skill than it does today to find and shoot one. It was also a time when the value of the meat meant as much if not more than the value of the antlers.

don't know how much truth there is to this.....its not hard to knock off a deer walking down a game trail. it dosen't take a degree in wildlife biology to figure out that if your watch that well worn path thru the trees thats littered with deer tracks, odds are one will walk down it again soon and then you'll have your deer.

feeders and foodplots just concentrate them more.

Many of deer, big ones too, have been dropped in a apple or pear orchard or under a acorn producing oak tree as well.

I think alot of people make whitetails out to be alot smarter than they are.

its not about (at least for me) outsmarting a deer and bringing it home, its not about the deer meat either, personally, i think whitetail, with the exception of dried sausage, tastes like doo-doo. its about having fun. the second it stops becomming fun, is when I will quit

"tastes like doo-doo"..I think you are eating the wrong end then.... rofl.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting turning commercial??? [Re: stxranchman] #1671347 09/15/10 12:39 AM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Stxranchman wow you dont deserve the right to hunt then. Which you prob dont anyhow. The taste of chicken fried deer steak is why i get up and sit through the mesquitos or freezing cold. Doo doo WTF who cooks your meat, and who processes it. That statement is pure rediculous.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide