Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poachers [Re: RMR] #1599617 08/16/10 04:33 AM
T
texas republic Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

The whole concept of negligence is a lot more tricky than yall are making it out to be. First, the property is not "open to the public". If it was, that would be a different deal.

Second, its trespass. If you invited a guest into your home/property who then gets injured because of your negligence..then you are getting closer to clear cut liability.

You notice there is an exception from willfully or wantonly injuring a trespasser while protecting your property or in self defense. You place a trespasser with a firearm on your property... the odds are you will obtain the exception for self defense.

Most of yall are missing the other point to this. What is the goal of placing down a spike strip? To flatten the tires right? "Willfully or wantonly" injuring a trespasser will likely require more than inuring the trespasser's personal property. It would require a clear intent to cause actual injury to the "person", not their tires. If him losing control and rolling his truck down a cliff is a foreseeable consequence of flat tires...that may get a little closer to willful or wanton. So far, I see it more as causing harm to his property.

Placing a nail strip on your road that injures persons committing the crime of trespass making you liable...ehhh..doubtful in Texas.

One thing that I always thought was weird was shooting an animal on your property and it jumping over the fence before dieing. Anyone know who has the legal rights to it? It will surprise you.

Last edited by texas republic; 08/16/10 04:58 AM.
Re: Poachers [Re: texas republic] #1599659 08/16/10 09:49 AM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
There's also a difference between civil and criminal liability. You may not catch a criminal charge, but could still face a civil judgment. I was involved in a lawsuit (as a witness) where the ranchhand from a neighbor's place was illegally crossing the Plaintiff's property and was involved in a crash. My position was that it was the ranchhand's fault because he had no right to be there. The Plaintiff's attorney advised me it was only the events of the crash that determined liability and the fact he was trespassing was a different issue. The same principle should hold true. If you set a booby trap that injures or kills someone, the fact they were trespassing may not matter. I don't think that's fair, but it may be true.

Another issue regarding booby traps is that you only have the right to use deadly force in the defense of your life or the life of someone else. The Castle Doctrine gives you more legal ground in that event, but you still have to be defending someone's life. If your trap injures or kills someone who, for example, hopped your fence to take a leak, you could have a problem.

Michael Mitchell - Insight Hunting
830-459-5769
http://www.insighthunting.com
Re: Poachers [Re: Insight Hunting] #1599888 08/16/10 02:12 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Texas penal code allows booby traps.

Re: Poachers [Re: helomech] #1600434 08/16/10 06:39 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Do you have the specific reference for the booby trap? Chapter? Subchapter?

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Poachers [Re: helomech] #1600438 08/16/10 06:40 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: helomech
Texas penal code allows booby traps.

up

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Poachers [Re: Tin Head] #1600813 08/16/10 08:58 PM
F
FISHUNTER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
[/quote]
Originally Posted By: FISHUNTER
Last year on my lease in Nacogdoches we saw a truck parked in front of our main gate at 1am. There were 5 of us there so we "loaded up" and jusmped in my truck and snuck up to him with the headlights off. We were pretty sure he had a buddy on our place hog hunting and was waiting on him to return to the gate. We have had problems with this in the past. The guy was obviously nervous and couln't get his story straight. We let him drive off without his buddy. When he drove off we unloaded about 50 rounds into the ground from various handguns,ak's,7mags etc.....At 1am it echoed for miles and sounded frightingly loud. Anybody poacher on our proerty at the time would have taken a dump where they stood. The gate was the only way out to the road. We have not seem them since.
If a paocher is caught hold him at gun point if need be and call the GW , not your beer drinking buddies. [/quote]

My buddies get there quicker cheers

Last edited by FISHUNTER; 08/16/10 08:59 PM.
Re: Poachers [Re: FISHUNTER] #1601306 08/16/10 11:50 PM
B
bust'em-n-dust'em Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
^ true and there aint nothing wrong with reloading (its cheaper & more fun) riflejmo

Re: Poachers [Re: bust'em-n-dust'em] #1601663 08/17/10 01:47 AM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
ain't nothing wrong with scaring a man if he's on your place and i would hope that if i found a guy with a gun in his hand pointed my direction that if i shoot him i won't go to jail but if i had to shoot him to protect my own life i would take the chance of a criminal law suit because if a man threatens you especially at night you have the right to take lethal action if you have a chl you should know this.

Re: Poachers [Re: redseal] #1601765 08/17/10 02:18 AM
K
kennedy82mp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Here is our families story. My family hunts in east texas and for a couple years we could tell that stuff was being messed with around camp. One night in bow season a couple family members heard shooting at the road (less than 100yds away). They grabbed their pistols and went running. Turns out it was a low life neighbor that was poaching. Called the game warden who arrested the guys and confinscated their vehicle guns etc. A week later on opening weekend of gun season the whole lease showed up to 1 cabin burnt and smoldering 2 travel trailers burnt and smoldering and 1 outbuiling burnt.

Luckily my family was smarter than most and set up 5 infared game cams around the place and guess who showed up. Last we heard they were in prison for a while.

Just a good ol disabled veteran
Re: Poachers [Re: kennedy82mp] #1601867 08/17/10 02:46 AM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
glad ya'll caught em hope they are in there a long while

Re: Poachers [Re: redseal] #1607511 08/19/10 03:24 AM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Karma is a mother.

Re: Poachers [Re: J McCoy] #1608803 08/19/10 08:29 PM
R
redmist220 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I was 18 and hunting in Coryell co , with the family . We stared to see 243 caseings in all of our stands . Well none of us had a 243 so i told my dad i was gonna go in the middle of the week . Got up drove to the lease . Parked the truck behind the cabin and kinda sneeked throught the broom weeds in the dark . About 100 yrds from my stand i layed down in the grass , All of a sudden here comes a flash light . Knowing that everyone in my family was gonna be working ( i called everyone ) i just sat there . Right when you could see i was watchen him through my binoks. All of a sudden here walks a nice buck from behind my stand , This guy freezes as the buck walks right past him i see him reach down . Then here comes the gun out the window . Right about then i let a 308 round through the top of my blind . This is were to me it got funny . The dude broke my door off the hing'es running to the fence about 75 yrs to the road . I 'M sorry but i was laughing my [censored] off . The owner of the next place over drove up to the fence and asked what happened and i told him . Seems like the same guy was doing his place also . But after that morning we never had a problem .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide