Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: txtrophy85] #1585957 08/09/10 06:22 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Quote:
from there have the gun ported and the forcing cones lengthened. Your looking at about 350-450 to do all that on top of the gun, but it will fit her perfectly plus will be about 40-50% reduction in recoil wich those two factors coupled together will make her a better shot.

I think you have been reading to many "selling points" and not enough real world result. There is no way, no how porting and lengthening the forcing cone will recuce that much recoil. Its not excatly a gain-gain either...

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: Slow Drifter] #1586521 08/09/10 08:25 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
You don't fire nearly as many rounds shooting duck and geese as you do on dove. Maybe a half-case a day on dove.....

Seriously?!?!?! Either you are shooting way more than your limit of birds....or you need to practice a LOT more. lol

I don't recall ever using more than a box and a half to shoot a limit of doves.....and that's only if they are really being stubborn.

125 shells to kill 15 birds.....DAMN!! sorry I just had to say something.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: TDK] #1586636 08/09/10 08:50 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TDK
Quote:
from there have the gun ported and the forcing cones lengthened. Your looking at about 350-450 to do all that on top of the gun, but it will fit her perfectly plus will be about 40-50% reduction in recoil wich those two factors coupled together will make her a better shot.

I think you have been reading to many "selling points" and not enough real world result. There is no way, no how porting and lengthening the forcing cone will recuce that much recoil. Its not excatly a gain-gain either...

With my Sim Vibration Recoil, Forcing cones lengthened, and porting done on my Remington 870 12gauge it Kicks the same if not less than my 870 20 gauge. i would definately say after hunting with it 1 full seasaon of Dove Duck and Turkey then having the mods done yes its kicks half of what it did. On average I go on 2 major Dove hunts where I will normally burn through shells, every weekend of Duck Season Im out hunting and during the off season I normally spend 1 day a month at some sort of Shotgun sports shooting facilty. So yeah thats not selling points its my experiance with my personal gun, also being a smaller statured person I can telly ou the biggest improvement I made was having the stock cut to fit me.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #1586691 08/09/10 09:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
She can kill anything she wants with a 20 ga... another thing to consider is not the recoil but the wieght of the gun, if she can't shoulder it quickly...no caliber in the world is going to help her.

Get her a light quick pointing 20ga with a 3in chamber and she will be golden and a lot happeier then trying to carry around a 7-8lb 12 ga

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: Eland Slayer] #1587208 08/10/10 12:41 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
You don't fire nearly as many rounds shooting duck and geese as you do on dove. Maybe a half-case a day on dove.....

I don't recall ever using more than a box and a half to shoot a limit of doves.....and that's only if they are really being stubborn.

you must either be hunting over a mojo or a tank and shooting them while they are landing.

box and a half of shells to kill a limit is pretty good. I hunt with some good shots and if you get 15 birds with that your doing alright.

I've shot 3-4 boxes plenty of times to get a limit, I think thats more on the average side, of course i've had my days where I've killed limits with one box of shells.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: txtrophy85] #1588435 08/10/10 04:07 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

you must either be hunting over a mojo or a tank and shooting them while they are landing.

box and a half of shells to kill a limit is pretty good. I hunt with some good shots and if you get 15 birds with that your doing alright.

I've shot 3-4 boxes plenty of times to get a limit, I think thats more on the average side, of course i've had my days where I've killed limits with one box of shells.

Haha......no I've actually never hunted doves over a tank or a decoy. Just normal dove fields like everyone else. To be fair however, I did shoot competition sporting clays for 6 years.....so I guess I'm not your average shot, but still.....125 shells to kill 15 birds just seems terrible to me. That's more than 8 shots per bird.....as in under a 15% hit rate. My average in sporting clays is usually somewhere around an 85%.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: Eland Slayer] #1589324 08/10/10 10:44 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Haha......no I've actually never hunted doves over a tank or a decoy. Just normal dove fields like everyone else. To be fair however, I did shoot competition sporting clays for 6 years.....so I guess I'm not your average shot, but still.....125 shells to kill 15 birds just seems terrible to me. That's more than 8 shots per bird.....as in under a 15% hit rate. My average in sporting clays is usually somewhere around an 85%.

That's a 12% rate. The national average is 15%. I wasn't far off "top of my head."

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Shotgun for the girlfriend...? [Re: TEXAS GRINGO] #1592992 08/12/10 05:14 PM
C
codyduke Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Thank's for all the great advice. She loves shooting my super black eagle II but doesn't want me spending that kind of money on a shot gun for her.. I plan on taking her to a couple of gun shops early next week when I'm off again and let her handle some fire arms and see which ones she likes the fitment of best. If I get my way she is getting a semi auto 12 gauge over a pump for sure. I already have a semi auto 20 gauge that Im going to be getting a shorter stock for her to use dove hunting. Just have to get her a 12 gauge since she fell in love with duck hunting with me last year. thanks againg happy hunting

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide