Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: tigger] #1553565 07/26/10 01:59 AM
I
Irishmule Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
What did the vet have to do with your dogs after they were bitten by the rattle snake? Did he/she still use the anti-venom but less of it? I am going to be hunting out in the middle of no where, so there are not a lot of vets to reach in case of a bite.

Thanks again..
Everyone's opinion and experience has really helped me decide that I am going to take the chance on the side effects and get the shots for both of my dogs.

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: Irishmule] #1553790 07/26/10 03:23 AM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
1 shot of antihistimine and a shot of antibiotics, and the a few antibiotic pills to give for a few day. The dogs swelled less than 50 percent of what I have had dogs do before the vaccine. I have not heard of a single dog dying that was bitten and on the vaccine.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: tigger] #1554063 07/26/10 12:38 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: tigger
1 shot of antihistimine and a shot of antibiotics, and the a few antibiotic pills to give for a few day. The dogs swelled less than 50 percent of what I have had dogs do before the vaccine. I have not heard of a single dog dying that was bitten and on the vaccine.

Bobby Buff who is a member of this forum, had a pointer named Colt, which was vaccinated, and got bit, while hunting on the Chaparral WMA. Colt died died in the care of a vet before midnight, on the same day it was bitten.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: bill oxner] #1554067 07/26/10 12:43 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It depends on where the dog gets bitten, according to my vet. Head and legs are a better survival area. Mid-section and lower and the dog will probably not make it.

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: bill oxner] #1554097 07/26/10 01:02 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Bobby Buff who is a member of this forum, had a pointer named Colt, which was vaccinated, and got bit, while hunting on the Chaparral WMA. Colt died died in the care of a vet before midnight, on the same day it was bitten.

That is too bad sorry to hear. I guess that shows nothing is perfect. I will still take my chances with the vaccine and hope I do not get anymore dogs bitten.

Last edited by tigger; 07/26/10 01:05 PM.

Tigger

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: tigger] #1554113 07/26/10 01:14 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Bill, you and I have a mutual friend, Gene, who had one of his field trial dogs bitten a couple of years ago and I would not even guess what he spent saving the dogs life. I understand that it was in intensive care for over a week. I bet the vet bill was at least 5 grand.

I read in the newspaper the other day that the company that makes the anti venom for dogs had quit making it and that it cost 1500 per vile and requires 3 viles for most treatments.

Tigger

KC
Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: bill oxner] #1554423 07/26/10 04:00 PM
P
poopypants Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Bill, Bill, Bill.....dang you got a burr about this shot. Sure enough don't understand why you seem do be so set against the shot, and you almost act like you want to talk folks out of the shot. If all dogs had the shots some would get bite and die. If a dog gets a full load in a bad spot most won't make it. It's all the other bites that the snake shot helps. Now 30-40% of the bites are dry, no venom. The rest are some where from less than a full load to a dry bite and the shot seems to be helpful in alot of these bites. If I had high powered dogs like yours don't think I'd want to leave it up to chance. But like you say "that's just me".

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: poopypants] #1554790 07/26/10 07:14 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm sure dogs die with the vaccine, but everything being equal I would give a dog with the vaccine a better shot at survival and recovery than one without.

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: TexasEd] #1610356 08/20/10 02:25 PM
A
Aggie00 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I have vaccinated my 2 dogs (brittanys) for the last 4 years, but the last 2 years my smaller female has deveolped a large golf size lump/bump at injection site. My vet gave her antibiotics last year for it, and the bump/lump went away after a couple of weeks, though I could tell she was not hereslf during this time. My male though had no problems with the shot though.

I don't think I will be getting my female done again.

I always wondered if this shot really works, my male was bitten by a rattlesnake in 2005, before they had the rattlesnake vaccine. Luckly he was bitten in the lower hind leg above the paw, and it was only 1 fang/puncture wound. Cost about $650 to treat, with 1 vile of antivenom at an emergency vet in Lubbock. He recovered within a week. My other brittany I had in highschool died of a rattlesnake bite back in 1998, he did not have the shot, he was bitten in the chest, and he was not given antivenom, just steroids and anitbiotics at some vet in Abilene.

My question is people seem to have success with this rattlensake vaccine, but has anybody had there dog bitten in the chest or main body cavity?

Re: Rattle Snake Shot [Re: Aggie00] #1610976 08/20/10 07:11 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Here is what I know. Not all bites mean the dog is going to die. In some bites the dog does not recieve a full dose of venom. If a dog gets the full dose on the torso without being vaccinated they are going to die, possibly die if bitten on the legs. I absolutely believe in vaccinating the dogs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide