Forums46
Topics538,740
Posts9,740,663
Members87,107
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 9 of 44 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: 10pointers] #1440629 05/23/10 01:24 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Tell me about it, I just have to be patient for a few more days then I'll hopefully find some long lost treasure!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Varget 7-08] #1440634 05/23/10 01:26 AM
10pointers Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Good Luck be sure to report any finds up

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: robbf213] #1440963 05/23/10 07:39 AM
B
Brandon85 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
South Texas lease?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Brandon85] #1440994 05/23/10 12:25 PM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
A old car out in the woods that had license plates from 1954 on it.. The year I was born. I did have to get a screwdriver..lol

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Texpppr] #1442002 05/24/10 03:14 AM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
on a place i hunted near rotan there was an indian grave on the highest point of the place overlooking the double mountain fork of the brazos..i didnt see anything but it had been excavated and was mostly a hole...then on my place i have now i found a hole thats approximately 18 inches wide in a circle and bottomless..there was an old broken whiskey bottle top next to it from way back..i assumed it was a wildcatter hole..supposedly there is a spring on the place that i havent found..its a very rough place...and oh yea the legendary lead mines of kent and stonewall county from the late 1800's are supposedly somewhere near north of my place between us and the pitchfork...what i found : holes

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: caprocker] #1442897 05/24/10 05:45 PM
R
Red_Breast Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I've found a pocket knife and a dozen of so duck decoys.

If you keep your hair short and your mouth shut, things tend to run a lot smoother.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Red_Breast] #1443648 05/24/10 11:53 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
its not what i found but what i didnt find! got to the lease one evening and got everthing setup in camp and got ready for the hunt in the morning. while walking to the stand i remember thinking how did i go to far my stand had been in that spot for years. once the sun came up i realized why i couldnt find it, the stand and the feeder where missing!!! never found out what happened.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TAT] #1443996 05/25/10 02:16 AM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I was duck hunting on the devils river last year when I found someones pack in the river. It had a couple cans of beans in it, summer sausage n crackers, can of snuff unopened (it still tasted fine to me) and a custom knife from Moore Makers Inc out of Matador, TX. The guy's name was on the pack. I called the knife maker and had them look through their records for the guys name, but they couldn't find it. Said he must have bought it from a distributor at a gun show or something. So I tried to return it. That would have made a better story. The handle is cracked and the blade has some rust so sometime I plan to send it back to Matador, Tx and have them rebuild it for me. Cool find.

I also found a stray mangy dog on my lease just wandering around. I tried hunting with it but the dog was WORTHLESS, just horrible. I finally ran it off when it kept trying to steal my dinner and eat from my [censored] can. Dog tag read "Garrett".

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: jjandcompany] #1446289 05/26/10 03:25 AM
T
txhuntingguide Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: jjandcompany
50-70s throckmorton/ haskell line , case of old dynamite,airplane prop, granite monument to young man drug to death by team of green mules, new mexico old belt bowie knife, spoons, plate. colorado winchester action barrel, partial skeleton, dallas trinity bottoms 2dead guys, 2 guns, 1 dead guy no gun.
I know where that granite monument is. I loved hunting that hillside overlooking that canyon bottom. Used to be owned by some of my distant family.

Life is a Highway. Don't take the wrong road twice. Take your time and enjoy it. Teach, love and support your family.
Hoyt Spyder Turbo
Gold Tip Velocities
HHA single pin, Ultra Rest
100 gr. Grim Reapers
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Woody Wood] #1446382 05/26/10 04:09 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Woody Wood
Originally Posted By: powerstroke
Found the ranchers daughter dooing the deed with her (GIRLFRIEND}. Hated to break that up!

Yeah. cheers

now that is one I would let play itself out!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: cable] #1446431 05/26/10 04:48 AM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: cable
Originally Posted By: Woody Wood
Originally Posted By: powerstroke
Found the ranchers daughter dooing the deed with her (GIRLFRIEND}. Hated to break that up!

Yeah. cheers

now that is one I would let play itself out!

x2

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Cochise] #1446449 05/26/10 05:28 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I have lots of stories, but this is the one that comes to mind the most.

Near Ft Chadbourne, not far from Bronte I was on a lease ajoining Kickapoo mountain. A very historical area. From the top of Kickapoo mountain I could make out what I am sure was remnants of the Butterfield Overland Trail. There was a small peak on our lease with a couple big rocks balanced on top. A bigger one in the distance was actually called Nipple Peak on the map to give you an idea what it looked like. It was a great vantage point to sit over a large area of our lease that I could glass. I was trying to pinpoint the location of a Turkey that Spring day.

While I was sitting at the base of that big rock on the peak; I looked down beside me to find a large thin corner tang flint knife. The tip was missing, but the main body with the corner tang was present. The flaking was perfect like a piece of art. My mind thought of a ritual piece or maybe a burial piece left behind from a dead indian once stuffed under the rock. But more likely it was damaged during it's construction and just chunked aside by the hunter that had sat there before me. After all, the spot would have been just as good of a hunting vantage point 2000 years ago as it was that day. Only 2000 years ago he would have been looking for Bison coming through the pass instead of a Turkey.

I pulled out some tp paper I had brought along and tightly wrapped the Corner Tang Knife under several folds of paper to insure it would arrive home with me undamaged. I then put the wrapped piece in my breast shirt pocket and buttoned it closed. It was safe from any harm and there was no way it could get lost. I even remember patting my chest and feeling it there as I thought about the men before me who had hunted from the very spot.

Moments later I did spot my Turkey. I was able to run down off the hill to move ahead of the bird and set up with my call. Just as the Turkey was coming into range I was actually blown by a Jackrabbit of all things. The Jack ran right up to me and made a sound that I swear sounded like the bark of a dog causing the Turkey to putt and run away. But I had a hunch the Turkey was headed for a stock tank in the area. I circled and ran ahead again setting up on the tank dam. I was right. In short time I had my Turkey.

I walked back to camp carrying my bird over my shoulder. I set the bird and call by a tree and leaned my gun there to take a picture. I thought it would be cool to include the corner tang in the picture by setting it next to my box call.

So I unbuttoned my shirt pocket and pulled out the wad of tissue paper and began to unfold it, but it did not feel right. There was nothing there.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Sniper John] #1446523 05/26/10 12:05 PM
S
Stickchunker Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Ok John, thats a lil spookey!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Stickchunker] #1446578 05/26/10 12:46 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
True story and I can't explain it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Sniper John] #1447738 05/26/10 08:35 PM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Update: Went to my grandparents house today, went to the attic, found the white rectangular box the guns were supposed to be in, opened it up and found a couple old blankets and some silverfish. very disappointed! There was even a shotgun in there that belonged to my great grandpa!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Sniper John] #1447807 05/26/10 09:02 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I have lots of stories, but this is the one that comes to mind the most.

Near Ft Chadbourne, not far from Bronte I was on a lease ajoining Kickapoo mountain. A very historical area. From the top of Kickapoo mountain I could make out what I am sure was remnants of the Butterfield Overland Trail. There was a small peak on our lease with a couple big rocks balanced on top. A bigger one in the distance was actually called Nipple Peak on the map to give you an idea what it looked like. It was a great vantage point to sit over a large area of our lease that I could glass. I was trying to pinpoint the location of a Turkey that Spring day.

While I was sitting at the base of that big rock on the peak; I looked down beside me to find a large thin corner tang flint knife. The tip was missing, but the main body with the corner tang was present. The flaking was perfect like a piece of art. My mind thought of a ritual piece or maybe a burial piece left behind from a dead indian once stuffed under the rock. But more likely it was damaged during it's construction and just chunked aside by the hunter that had sat there before me. After all, the spot would have been just as good of a hunting vantage point 2000 years ago as it was that day. Only 2000 years ago he would have been looking for Bison coming through the pass instead of a Turkey.

I pulled out some tp paper I had brought along and tightly wrapped the Corner Tang Knife under several folds of paper to insure it would arrive home with me undamaged. I then put the wrapped piece in my breast shirt pocket and buttoned it closed. It was safe from any harm and there was no way it could get lost. I even remember patting my chest and feeling it there as I thought about the men before me who had hunted from the very spot.

Moments later I did spot my Turkey. I was able to run down off the hill to move ahead of the bird and set up with my call. Just as the Turkey was coming into range I was actually blown by a Jackrabbit of all things. The Jack ran right up to me and made a sound that I swear sounded like the bark of a dog causing the Turkey to putt and run away. But I had a hunch the Turkey was headed for a stock tank in the area. I circled and ran ahead again setting up on the tank dam. I was right. In short time I had my Turkey.

I walked back to camp carrying my bird over my shoulder. I set the bird and call by a tree and leaned my gun there to take a picture. I thought it would be cool to include the corner tang in the picture by setting it next to my box call.

So I unbuttoned my shirt pocket and pulled out the wad of tissue paper and began to unfold it, but it did not feel right. There was nothing there.

John, I used to hunt off Mcdonald Road and 277 8 miles north of Bronte just north of Nipple Peak. there was a pad of concrete approx 40x40 the old timers in Bronte said it was used for a dance floor for parties at old Fort Chadbourne.

One time while just walking across the ranch I stumbled across a pair of work boots that looked fairly new along a fenceline we shared with another ranch. It seemed random they were out there, I left them alone and just kept walking.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Ox190] #1448396 05/27/10 01:52 AM
M
Mongocrush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Your talking about hunting near Hwy 277 and McDonald road...that is very close to the Ranch where we are going to be coming out and hunting this fall. Going to be my first trip out west.

To add to the stories when I lived in Oregon, my family was up in the Cascade range on the Willamtte River getting river loam for the strawberry beds. My Grandfather was visiting from Virgina and he was digging up some small Douglas seedlings to take back east. The Oregon trail runs fairly close to this portion of the river, ruts are still visible. While my grandfather was digging up one of the seedlings, he unearthed a handle and part of a blade from a Sabre of some sorts. You could tell it had a wooden handle and most of the knuckle guard was still intact. There was also about 2" of the blade that was still there also. Makes you wonder what happened to it and why someone dumped it. Guess that is the coolest thing I have been involved with finding.

Mongo

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Mongocrush] #1449527 05/27/10 03:55 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Mongo, the lease we hunted on was about a mile west of 277 the south border was Mcdonald road and the north border was Ross Road. LOTS of deer down there, never shot anything bigger than 120 B&C but saw a few out of season.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Ox190] #1449599 05/27/10 04:16 PM
J
Just-Hunt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
A trespasser walking under my treestand with a blaze orange hat, vest and a loaded .270. I was bowhunting hogs. It wasn't any season and the land he claimed he thought he was on was WMA land that is archery only for hogs. He knew what he was doing. Scary situation. I can't stand trespassers! They give us regular joes a bad name with landowners, especially when they leave their trash in our stands.

Another time I was rifle hunting and found an older fella (about 70) in my box stand. About 300 yards down the pasture I found his son who knew the guy that I shared the lease with and told me he had permission. He was surprised when I immediately called my my buddy (in front of him) and asked. Turned he was lying. Felt sorry for the guy's dad. He apologized to me and explained that his son told him it was alright, they had permission. I was quite ticked at the liar. I was not as kind. They both left and I never saw them again. My buddy never heard from that friend again either.

...Some people!

Best regards,

Kevin
Voting Member: Professional Outdoor Media Association
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Medalist, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, The Buck Bomb, StarrFlight Archery, ProString Archery, RedHawk Archery, Valkyrie Archery, Titan Graphics, Spittler Calls
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Just-Hunt] #1450975 05/28/10 03:15 AM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
When I was about 14, I was deer hunting and like most 14 year olds, I got bored pretty quickly. I needed to go to the bathroom, so I climbed down out of the stand and walked the recommended (by Dad) 100 yards downwind before dropping my pants. I had leaned my rifle against a tree, and when I finished, I decided to walk over to a stream a few feet away to wash my hands.
While I was dipping my hands in the water, I found a really big arrowhead (probably actually a spear point). I rinsed it off, and then stood up to go back to my stand. When I turned around, there was a 6 point buck standing right behind me, and between me and my rifle. He turned and started walking away, and I thought I could get back to my gun in time, but I stepped on a trig and he took off like a rocket. I picked up my gun and climbed back up into the stand, and forgot about the arrowhead until we were on the way home. We went back hunting the next weekend, and I looked for the arrowhead for a half hour, but never saw it again.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: redfred] #1450985 05/28/10 03:20 AM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
This one isn't a hunting story, but a friend bought an old farm back in the sixties, and a lot of it was really heavy brush in the Colorado River bottom. He was walking around on his new farm one day and came across an ancient (Model T or A, I can't remember)Ford pickup. The hood was missing, and there was a 12 foot tall tree growing up through the engine compartment. He got me to bring a saw and I cut the tree just above the engine and then below the truck at ground level. We used his tractor to tow it back to the barn, and he sold the truck to some collector who actually restored it.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Ox190] #1452410 05/28/10 09:48 PM
M
Mongocrush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Ox,
It looks like you have hunted where I will be hunting this fall. I believe this ranch is owned by the Lewis family if I remember correctly. These guys that I am going hunting with have hunted this property for over 10 years. Look forward to getting out there. We will be leaving Nov. 12 from NC and heading that way. There is also a south ranch about 10 miles south of Bronte that we will be hunting also. Cant wait to get out there.

Mongo

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: booger] #1453297 05/29/10 07:01 PM
S
Sutto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
An old model "T" body, and old hay sickle,a buck knife,arrowheads,a matching pair of shed antlers and a grey fox asleep in a bull pine tree about 10' off the ground !!!!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Sutto] #1467271 06/07/10 04:18 PM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Found this van on my Grandma's property. We dont know how old it is but we've shot the heck out of it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Varget 7-08] #1474339 06/11/10 04:11 AM
C
CTK3 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
A true redneck would have used the van as a deer blind, just sayin....

Page 9 of 44 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide