Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: JJHunts] #1480210 06/15/10 02:00 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
The hot water and blow dryer thing....better than you know what!!!

The wife thought I had someone in the shower with me.

Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Honker Jake] #1480275 06/15/10 02:25 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Honker Jake
I broke down and went to the doctor for a shot. He also gave me prescription for prednisone. I work outside, sweating and itching this morning was enough to take me to the doctor. What started as a small patch on my left arm a couple days ago is now covering my left arm, parts of my right arm and most of my neck. MISERABLE!!!!

Sorry to hear about that. I take it that you didn't use the Tide. It will continue to spread until you wash the oils off of you. The Technu product works also but at $8 for a little bottle it gets a expensive. Take my advice and you will never have to deal with that stuff again.

Think of it this way, if hot water and laundry detergent didn't break the oils down you would have a relapse every time you put on the same clothes again. I didn't mention this earlier but, I am so sensitive to that crap that I catch it from the wind blowing in my back yard.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: HornSlayer] #1480352 06/15/10 02:52 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
I am under the impression that the oils from the plant I was exposed to is what my body is reacting to (because I have been researching it on net).

If that is the case, I am positive that it is off my body. The oils from the plant are long gone. What I am dealing with now is the reaction of my body to the oil it was exposed too a few days ago.

Hey, I am obviously open to suggestions, otherwise I would not have posted this.

Find me some evidence that the actual plant oil is still on me and I'm all ears.

Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Honker Jake] #1480366 06/15/10 02:58 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If it is still spreading then the oils are either still on you or in you. If they are in your bloodstream then your screwed.

I might add that for me it takes about 2 hours for my body to begin to blister after I have came in contact with it. Your reaction time is probably different.

Last edited by HornSlayer; 06/15/10 03:02 AM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: HornSlayer] #1480387 06/15/10 03:09 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Takes me at least 2 days to blister. The doctor I saw today made me look like an idiot when I asked her how to get rid of the oils from the plant on my body. She said, what is happening now is my body's reaction to being exposed to the plant oils. Using all the tricks to get rid of it (the plant oils) are useless now because it has already made it's impact, and is no longer on my skin. All the rubbing alcohol, dish soap, etc, tricks work if you know you were exposed and have access to a shower as soon as you know you are exposed.

After getting home and looking it up, all the tricks to get the oil off are for 10-15 minutes after exposure. What follows in the days to come is a reaction to having been exposed to those toxic oils.

Last edited by Honker Jake; 06/15/10 03:21 AM.
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Honker Jake] #1480645 06/15/10 12:11 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You ought to get some Technu to carry with you, and maybe a jug of water. Then, when you get back to your truck, you can wash it off and "maybe" not have to deal with.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: d.g.ruff] #1480730 06/15/10 01:31 PM
R
Road Dawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I get it real bad. When I was teenager I'd have poison ivy and go to the community pool and noticed I'd get almost instant
relief. I figured out that it was chlorine in the water. Now if
I get it I use chlorox bleach full strength and that works for
me if it's not real bad.

Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Road Dawg] #1480879 06/15/10 02:52 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Tomato juice.

At least that's what my aunt used on my cousin when we were kids. We'd been out in a canyon all day building a BMX track when he had to take a poop. He ended up using the closest plant which was..... drum roll please.......poison oak (out in CA)

Now any of y'all that have had it, imagine that feeling all over your(sorry ladies) scrotum and back side. flame

He couldn't pedal that bike home fast enough. He sat in half a tub full of tomato juice for quite some time! rofl

Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: SATX] #1481040 06/15/10 04:00 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Honker your Dr. is exactly correct. The oils are by now long gone, and your skin is simply having a delayed reaction to the initial exposure. Ivy affects people differently as I mentioned before, and the response time to exposure is different as well.

After contact with the plant, it used to take up to 4 days for my skin to react. Example: I'd go to the woods on a weekend, then the following Wednesday, or Thursday, my skin would start to blister. Once it started, I would have new patches showing up every day for the next 7-10 days. I knew that those areas no longer had the oil on them, and that it was all from the initial exposure.

The last few times I have had it, it only took 1-2 days for the blisters to show up. I was out on a Sunday in the woods and on Tuesday evening (middle of the night) I started itching really badly. Wednesday was more new patches, Thursday through Sunday was the same-lot's of new patches showing up. All of it was from the INITIAL exposure because I had not come in contact with anything that was with me when I was last in the woods.

I can confirm that once the oil is bonded with your skin, rubbing alcohol WILL NOT break the bond and you will still have a reaction to the oil later.

I was out this weekend. I had water-proof sunscreen covering every square inch of my arms & legs. I was wearing long pants, and a long sleeved shirt, & gloves, and I was literally crawling through ivy while I was clearing ivy, and branches, & vines away from a shooting lane. This is Tuesday, and I have not had any itching or blisters as of yet... The clock is ticking. If nothing shows by tomorrow, I'll consider this a success.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Kawabuggy] #1481627 06/15/10 08:30 PM
H
harge57 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Benadryl! Benadryl! Benadryl!

I got exposed twice last year. Got the shot and the prednisone and some anti itch pills which helped a lot.

But. I would take benadryl every 4 hours and could literally see the effects in about 15 minutes rashes would go way down and would not be as red. Then in about 4 hours it would be flaring up again and I would pop another benadryl and it would go back down againg.

Once again take the Benadryl.

Oh and wash everything at least twice that may have been exposed to it. Including shoes, shoe strings, towels, etc.

I kept getting re exposed. I think from my shoes.

Last edited by harge57; 06/15/10 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: harge57] #1482036 06/16/10 12:37 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
I got the Technu yesterday, and it feels GREAT rubbing it in.

Between the Technu, hot shower, and the blow dryer its almost getting poison ivy...Not really, but it FEELS GOOD!!!

The stroids and Technu seem to be doing a good job.

As for the bleach, that just doesn't sound good.
Read an article about a guy doing that and it got in his blood stream. He started with some poison ivy on his arms but after the bleach he had huge whelp's all over his body.

Thanks for all the help.

Re: Poison Ivy!!!! [Re: Honker Jake] #1485861 06/18/10 01:49 AM
R
RickyK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
They also make some stuff called "Ivy Block". You put it on before hand, it's a lotion. If I know i'm going to be around it I use the Ivy Block. If I get into it with out the ivy block I take a cool to cold shower using Dawn dish soap as soon as I get home.

Ricky
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide