Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fire [Re: RobertY] #1227405 02/08/10 01:47 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
Control burns are by far the cheapest and most effective way to manage under brush and tall grass, without a doubt! Now that we have some rain, its time to burn!

I hope you didn't lose any property in the fire. If its just land, you'll be happy it is in about 3 months when it has beautiful green grass all over it.

Yall just need to keep in mind that just because we are getting lots of rain doesnt make it completly safe, and propper precautions still need to be taken. The ground may be wet, but the grass on top is still very very dry. I was on a 100 grass fire a bout a week ago, and we couldnt stop the fire because the ground was so wet and all of our trucks were getting stuck. The owner said " Well with all this rain i didn't think it would take off like that".

Now im not questioning any of yalls knowledge or abilities, just some food for thought!

Re: Fire [Re: Big_Country01] #1228217 02/08/10 08:19 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Big_Country01
Control burns are by far the cheapest and most effective way to manage under brush and tall grass, without a doubt! Now that we have some rain, its time to burn!

I hope you didn't lose any property in the fire. If its just land, you'll be happy it is in about 3 months when it has beautiful green grass all over it.

Yall just need to keep in mind that just because we are getting lots of rain doesnt make it completly safe, and propper precautions still need to be taken. The ground may be wet, but the grass on top is still very very dry. I was on a 100 grass fire a bout a week ago, and we couldnt stop the fire because the ground was so wet and all of our trucks were getting stuck. The owner said " Well with all this rain i didn't think it would take off like that".

Now im not questioning any of yalls knowledge or abilities, just some food for thought!

Good advice. I burned a couple acres of coastal the other day that was surrounded by green rye grass. I was amazed at how quickly it went up and how fast that fire traveled even though I did a back burn.

I think in our training we learned back burning can still travel at very high rates of speed, just can't remember the actual number.

Re: Fire [Re: Big_Country01] #1228218 02/08/10 08:20 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
You are correct! We personally use Red Buffalo Land Management for prescribed burns. Its worth having professionals do. Starting fires and thinking you're going to control them with a garden hose is dangerous.

Re: Fire [Re: Big_Country01] #1228225 02/08/10 08:22 PM
F
ffread Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Big_Country01

Totally agree, we get our arse eat out all the time when they call the FD and ask if the burn ban is still on. I have been cussed so many times it is not even funny. What is bad is when they do it anyways and they have to call you out there they act like they are in total shock that it got away. And on the propane bottles I have seen only one explode in ten years of fire fighting and they are in almost everyhouse and always at deer camps. Only bad thing is it only takes one time, you can never be to careful but I wouldnt trade my job for any other job in the world.

Re: Fire [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #1228296 02/08/10 09:02 PM
M
McWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
A little OT, but what does a prescribed burn usualy run cost wise? We have about 500 acres but only the east pasture really needs it and it's roughly 140-150 acres max of 200. It's in Mason county if that matters.

Re: Fire [Re: McWilliams] #1228404 02/08/10 09:52 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: McWilliams
A little OT, but what does a prescribed burn usualy run cost wise? We have about 500 acres but only the east pasture really needs it and it's roughly 140-150 acres max of 200. It's in Mason county if that matters.

Is it all grass, or is it brush/woods? If you have access to a tractor, just make a fire break 2-3 times the height of the veggitation. I always like to backburn about 50 feet or so just to reinforce the fire break. The main concern will be floating embers traveling over the break into the area that you dont want burning!

Re: Fire [Re: Big_Country01] #1228431 02/08/10 10:02 PM
M
McWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Mainly mesquite thickets some single oaks and groves and a ton of cactus witch is what We mainly want gone. Just too much cactus to just burn by hand! I am by no means qualified to go around burning land so I'm totaly going to leave it to the pro's.

Re: Fire [Re: McWilliams] #1228517 02/08/10 10:33 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: McWilliams
Mainly mesquite thickets some single oaks and groves and a ton of cactus witch is what We mainly want gone. Just too much cactus to just burn by hand! I am by no means qualified to go around burning land so I'm totaly going to leave it to the pro's.

I wish you were closer i would be more than willing to help out.

Re: Fire [Re: Big_Country01] #1229100 02/09/10 02:31 AM
D
Downit Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
The last time I did a burn the department came out and asked if it was under control. They asked me to call and let them know that I was going to do a burn.
That way they could be somewhat aware of it and could be waiting for a bad news call back for help!!
Plus when the neighbors called they could tell them it was a controlled burn!!
I've had some reall big flames on my burns!!
Scary non the less. But never any problems.
Now my stupid neighbors, well that's another story!!
They almost burned down the county.

"ask and you shall receive " Just be careful what you ask for!
Remember the Alamo, 9/11, AND THANK A SOLDIER!
WAKE UP people and help do something about the problem!
Re: Fire [Re: Downit] #1229752 02/09/10 01:55 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I was at a house fire in Crowell many years ago. The fire was so hot, it set off the safety valve on a 250 gallon propane tank. Scary situation, but the tank safely vented itself. The propane burned off and the tank never exploded.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide