Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quail Coalition #1173279 01/15/10 02:35 AM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Who here is a member? I am thinking about joining. Will be interviewing Joe Crafton on my show this Saturday. Sounds like the split from Quail Unlimited was unavoidable. They are waiving dues if you join and already paid your QU dues this year.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: cable] #1173562 01/15/10 04:04 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Never heard of the coalition, but I bet I look them up now that I have.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #1173752 01/15/10 06:29 AM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: cable] #1235502 02/11/10 05:25 PM
B
bignoggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I am a member if you have any questions.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bignoggin] #1238953 02/12/10 10:52 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
What good do any quail groups do for me?? Quail dont migrate so where do my $ go?? Some fat cats ranch in South or West TX where I cant hunt?? I dont buy into them. Start releasing quail on any ones ranch like they did turkeys and I might bite. Until then I will spend my money on my ranch for my quail, not someone elses hunts.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1239173 02/13/10 12:31 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeff34
What good do any quail groups do for me?? Quail dont migrate so where do my $ go?? Some fat cats ranch in South or West TX where I cant hunt?? I dont buy into them. Start releasing quail on any ones ranch like they did turkeys and I might bite. Until then I will spend my money on my ranch for my quail, not someone elses hunts.

I think I've written the same thing on other forums over a dozen times.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bill oxner] #1239433 02/13/10 02:51 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Some where down the line, a lot of individuals thinking me, me, me, are going to have to start thinking, we, we, we, or we're going to start shooting pen, pen, pen raised quail, quail, quail.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1239602 02/13/10 03:58 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Then I think its high time the state gets involved. So the working man can enjoy quail shooting again. Work on restoring quail on public land. Not just private. The more people that hunt quail, the more will join groups that are for raising money for quail. Then there just might be enough quail to shoot. If it stays a rich mans sport, then yes just like England it will be pen, pen, pen raised quail, quail,quail.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1239700 02/13/10 04:38 AM
T
TJC3 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
O.K. What does the Quail Coalition do that's different from Quail Unlimited? Quail Unlimited, Duck's Unlimited, Pheasants Forever all are working toward improving habitat for wild bird populations. They are fairly cheap to join and have made a positive impact in maintaining and improving habitat that benifits more than just quail, ducks, and pheasants. From what I read on this forum I don't think there is a ground swell of support to increase government spending on anything.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: TJC3] #1239724 02/13/10 04:48 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
No. But to bring the bucks as in $$$$$ bills you need more than a handfull of people that hunt that certain pray. So you need more people to hunt it. If they cant hunt em, they wont help suport em. Where would turkey be?? State brought em back before there was any turkey groups. Now every one hunts them and I see their progress just going forward.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: TJC3] #1239730 02/13/10 04:50 AM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
All you have to do is look at the QU magazine to see where their emphasis is. Page after page of pay to shoot adds. QU has always seemed to spend more on celebrity hunts then improving habitat. I think Pheasants & Quail forever have a better record of spending on things that help the average hunter. Don't know anything about the coalition but they get points in my book for breaking away from QU..............

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Chet] #1239981 02/13/10 01:31 PM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
On QU, I agree with you Chet. Seems like maybe 5% of your dollars go to supporting Texas hunters. This is the first year in at least 15 I didnt send a check. I do like that this new Quail Coalition is heavily supportive and intertwined with the Rolling Plains Quail Research Ranch in Roby. If we are going to solve the mystery in time, its going to be there or at similar cooperative ventures that are directly in areas we hunt (although similar ones better get going quick or it will be too late since most of those research efforts take 10+ years to capture historical data and do comparatives).

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: danceswithquail] #1240021 02/13/10 02:05 PM
C
Charles Smith II Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Let's don't forget that we, as outdoorsmen, also need to place an emphasis on our conservation organizations to become active in lobbying for our rights at the state and local levels.

As the south Texas representative of Responsible Owners Alliance, I can attest that the far left wing liberal organizatioins of PeTA, Humane Society of the United States, and Texas Human Legislative Network are out to shut us down...from owning a string of hunting dogs to field trials to banning our beloved sport of quail hunting.

I disagree with QU and have for some time. I have not thoroughly investigated QC but will. Ask them the tough questions that you are posting on this site...they need to be heard by QC so they will know they are being held to a high standard of accountability.

Land management is paramount for quail survival. Just transplanting quail does not guarantee that there will be quail.

Rather than whine and moan, become proactive and let them know they are in the crosshairs.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Charles Smith II] #1241197 02/14/10 02:02 AM
B
Big Billy Kinder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I'm personally excited about the quail coalition. I quit giving my money to QU several years ago. I was tired of spending my Texas money on Georgia quail habitat that never seemed to get better than canned celeb hunts.
I'm back in the giving mode now. ALL monies raised by Cross Timbers and Park Cities Quail go to Roby TX and Dr Dale for research on TEXAS QUAIL!!!!
Buy a ticket to the Park Cities Quail banquet,coming on March 11. Get involved and see whats happening.
If your on the Tarrant county side of DFW. Call Robert Cantrell at Texas Outdoors in Ft Worth and he can give you more info. I think as Texas quail hunters we are finally going to see what we wanted years ago when we started sending money to QU.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Big Billy Kinder] #1241360 02/14/10 03:10 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I personaly dont see how one small group can do much good on a bird like quail in a state the size of Texas. Its all good if rancher X does every thing right, but what about neighbors W, Y, and Z who might not care about quail?? They dont migrate so the country they can live in is only as good as the landowner that has it. There has to be some incentive to get ALL landowners on board if quail are to have a chance.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1241477 02/14/10 04:18 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Because there is power in numbers. If the studies done in Roby by Dr. Dale are successful, and they can be duplicated in other locations, much can be learned. No battle is ever won when everyone is sitting on the sidelines.

Doing nothing will only lead to the further demise of wild quail hunting in this state.

The future of quail hunting is going to depend on quail hunters. Hunters are going to have to band together in groups of ten, twenty, and thirty, to lease or buy large sections of huntable land, and manage accordingly.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1241629 02/14/10 05:21 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You boys just dont get the point. If in the 50's and 60's if only a handfull of ranchers wanted the screw worm eradicated it would have never happend!! The task you all seek to undertake can never be done with just a small handfull. You need state and fed support to ever make this thing happen to have huntable numbers. Is my ranch in North Central TX to be left out because are huntable numbers left here in the late 80's ? Is only land you buy or lease in west TX where are # will be ? This strategy gets quail no where.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1241674 02/14/10 05:39 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
You boys just dont get the point. If in the 50's and 60's if only a handfull of ranchers wanted the screw worm eradicated it would have never happend!! The task you all seek to undertake can never be done with just a small handfull. You need state and fed support to ever make this thing happen to have huntable numbers. Is my ranch in North Central TX to be left out because are huntable numbers left here in the late 80's ? Is only land you buy or lease in west TX where are # will be ? This strategy gets quail no where.

Tell that to Mr. T Boone Pickins. It has to start somewhere, and if fed and state $ is needed, I don't think they will fund anything that doesn't have a proven track record.

Are? Our

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1241694 02/14/10 05:46 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I think hunters would prefer to keep fed and state government out of it anyway.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1241853 02/14/10 01:44 PM
C
Charles Smith II Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Last night I spoke with a friend of mine that was one of the muscles in the south Texas (Kingsville) chapter of QU. They have legally severed ties with QU and all of their monies except what they need to keep their chapter open has been donated to several projects associated with public lands and the Cesar Kleberg Wildlife Institute at Texas A&M-Kingsville.

He said what most people don't understand is that Rocky Evans was the founding father of QU and he was using his self-delegated power to get rich off the organization. Some serious crimes have been committed by QU; misappropriation of funds and missing firearms. These carry federal accountability.

Additionally, Rocky would not answer questions posed to him by the board of directors; questions that were relevant to the continuing existence of QU. He also was demanding a $500K per year retirement plan.

Question asked...is Texas capable of continuing with the conservation programs and promotion of the Bobwhite quail? You bet we are. Texas provided between 30 & 40% of all monies that went in to QU National. Nearly every year the Kingsville chapter alone was the single largest source of QU national's revenue.

Check out the Quail Coalition's website. There are a couple of PDF articles that are very informative.

My buddy said they are planning their next banquet, and it will probably be under the QC banner. If there's anyway you can get to south Texas for that banquet, you will be more than satisfied. They generally delegate the food prep at the banquet to some of our large south Texas ranches' cook teams...talk about impressive. Banquets are generally held the last part of August.

I am going to join once they get everything in place.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1242070 02/14/10 04:21 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: coolie76

Im glad duck hunters didnt think like that, or we would be in the same boat you are in.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1242075 02/14/10 04:25 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Tell that to Mr. T Boone Pickins. It has to start somewhere, and if fed and state $ is needed, I don't think they will fund anything that doesn't have a proven track record.

Are? Our

Then why not use my family ranch?? It's closer and was full of quail in the 80's and back.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1242210 02/14/10 05:45 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#

why would we want to keep the state out of it?

we pay the state every year to hunt, the state claims quail and other wildlife as property of the state, the state requires us to purchase a license to hunt any animal including feral and exotics.

Texas Parks and Wildlife needs an overhaul. They have become more of a law enforcement agency than a Conservation agency.

#sigline
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1242401 02/14/10 07:34 PM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Are? Our

Then why not use my family ranch?? It's closer and was full of quail in the 80's and back.

Start a chapter in your area. Find out how you can legally transplant birds back to your ranch. Find out how to get the ball rolling. Talk to other ranchers. Group together.

How many times have you heard, "If you're not part of the solution..."

Last edited by coolie76; 02/14/10 08:38 PM.
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1242449 02/14/10 08:05 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Funding and incentive is what will get the ball rolling. The Quail group or groups need to get with the NRCS and have a program started that would give ranchers a incentive to protect quail habitat, untill then your cause is a lost one.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: #Hayraker] #1242545 02/14/10 09:06 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: hayraker

why would we want to keep the state out of it?

we pay the state every year to hunt, the state claims quail and other wildlife as property of the state, the state requires us to purchase a license to hunt any animal including feral and exotics.

Texas Parks and Wildlife needs an overhaul. They have become more of a law enforcement agency than a Conservation agency.

I call it "pissing in the wind". TP&W is concerned with revenue. Quail hunters provide little.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: scattergun] #1242981 02/15/10 01:22 AM
Q
quailguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q

I have looked around trying to find exactly how many Texas Hunting licenses are sold. 1.1 million seems the best estimate.

"Slightly more than 1 million state residents and non-residents hunted in Pennsylvania in 2006, surpassed only by Texas with 1.1 million resident and visiting hunters. Pennsylvanians, though, were more active than Texans and led the nation in days afield."

And all super combo licenses have the $7 upland bird habitat stamp.

Even if only 20% buy a super combo license that is $1.4 million a year. Not chicken feed. I wonder what the Texas Ranchers' Welfare Dept does with the money????

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07182/798452-358.stm#ixzz0fYvhryEl

HHHHHHMMMMMM???

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: quailguy] #1243011 02/15/10 01:44 AM
B
Big Billy Kinder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Dr. Dale can only do the research and study. He's very good at it. He then passes the info on. Its up to us, quail hunters, ranch owners/managers, leasers ans leasees to care enough to pay attention and follow thru.

BTW-I have a friend that hunted Boone Pickens ranch as a guest 2 weeks ago. 22 coveys in 5 hours. I get a lot of quail hunting reports from some VERY reliable and dependable hunters. This isnt happening anywhere else in TX (or any other state for that matter) this year.

Management is not brain surjury, it can be done and the bigger we support the Texas Quail Coalition, the better, quicker, and more reliable the info.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Big Billy Kinder] #1243624 02/15/10 05:54 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
quailguy what is ranchers wellfair???? I would like to know, and Im sure the rancher whos place you hunt would like to know also.

HHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM????

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1243989 02/15/10 03:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
quailguy what is ranchers wellfair???? I would like to know, and Im sure the rancher whos place you hunt would like to know also.

HHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM????

x2 Kind of curious on this one too!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1244477 02/15/10 07:13 PM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Your money stays in Texas and is spent on ensuring the survival of our quail here. That alone is enough to get me involved. Better than sitting around and doing nothing. I think they have a great thing in the works.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: cable] #1244519 02/15/10 07:34 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I would have to see a detailed disbursement report after two years before I would give them a dime. Bet the salary report might change your mind. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: cable] #1244558 02/15/10 07:45 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: cable
Your money stays in Texas and is spent on ensuring the survival of our quail here. That alone is enough to get me involved. Better than sitting around and doing nothing. I think they have a great thing in the works.

Cable

What this is like is what if DU or Delta had only one pot hole to work with, would that bring us more ducks???? I dont think so.
This has to be more broad than one or two places.
If I join does that mean as a member I can hunt T boons ranch for just the cost of my membership??
I mean He11 I helped restock it.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1244593 02/15/10 07:58 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm still want to know about the TXranchers wellfare program!!!

Jeff did you get your check yet.... I just check the mail box and I still haven't gotten one.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1244648 02/15/10 08:23 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
NO!!! Went down to the NRCS and raised cane about it.. Said they never heard of it confused2

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1244705 02/15/10 08:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
NO!!! Went down to the NRCS and raised cane about it.. Said they never heard of it confused2

lmao... same thing for me at FSA office...

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1245060 02/15/10 10:13 PM
B
Big Billy Kinder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
You guys are funny!!

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1245231 02/15/10 10:54 PM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H

Cable

What this is like is what if DU or Delta had only one pot hole to work with, would that bring us more ducks???? I dont think so.
If I join does that mean as a member I can hunt T boons ranch for just the cost of my membership??

Cable thanks for the info on the quail coalition. A difference will be made one hunter banding w/ another hunter and so on. Jeff34 your lack of knowledge of quail and quail habitat is embarassing. Definition of welfare (or wellfair) is asking for a helping hand from the government. Such as when one would like the government to put quail on his property.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1245280 02/15/10 11:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: High Rack

Cable

Cable thanks for the info on the quail coalition. A difference will be made one hunter banding w/ another hunter and so on. Jeff34 your lack of knowledge of quail and quail habitat is embarassing. Definition of welfare (or wellfair) is asking for a helping hand from the government. Such as when one would like the government to put quail on his property.

Not really Jeff makes a huge point, you want to get ranches and land owners involved then find a way to push it into a farm program. Some of the farm programs have had a huge success for wild life over all may be not the entended result but none the less the out come.

You can have all the money and hunters in the world but until you can get landowners involved its doesn't mean a hill of beans.... Take DU as an example... Half thier habit in the US they have worked on came from mainly getting land owners into Farm programs (WRP and FWP).

If you want ranchers to change thier habitat, then its not going to come from lease fees its going to be something that makes up the cost for less cattle, CRP, ect.

No way any ranchers is going to plow up his coastal to plant more sustable quial habitat for a 6-10 dollar an acre quail lease. Unless he has the something else to even out his losses for doing so

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/16/10 12:09 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1245463 02/16/10 12:43 AM
S
spud Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I personally think the quail colition is a good thing, after all it's got to start somewhere in the state.There has been a lot of good ideas brought up on this thread, one being getting the state involved.

The state in my opinion will only spend money to get the most bang for their buck, which in this state is deer hunting. Hunting license numbers are down, so with a decreased budget, they have to spend it that makes the most sense, thus deer hunting. I think it's a great idea if the state would, but I really don't think they are willing.

Someone asked what will the Quail Colition do for me, nothing if you don't support it, but maybe just maybe, we might have a chance to turn it around. I know I would rather give my money to a Texas based group, than to out of staters. At least the money will stay in Texas, I hope.

I think the only tangable way to see more wild birds, is to induce the landowners to develop quail habitat on their property. That means that the focus has to shift to upland hunting and not so much deer hunting, and their agricultural practices will have to change to develop habitat condusive to quail. All this will cost money so, the only way I see to do that is to increase the size of the landowners profits, to even think about a change. Hunting is business in Texas, and if you can make more by doing things diffrent, then you might convince others to change their way of thinking.

I am new to forum, so I hope I did not insult anyone, just trying to give a opinion on what I hope is not a dying species.

Last edited by spud; 02/16/10 01:19 AM.
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1245758 02/16/10 02:23 AM
Q
quailguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

HHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM????

x2 Kind of curious on this one too!!

WELFARE, it is spelled WELFARE.

Oh, you know, that very same Texas Ranchers' Welfare Dept that believes that the landowners of Texas are its core constituency, not the saps that buy Texas hunting licenses, thereby funding the Texas Ranchers' Welfare Dept and paying their salaries, all the while stupidly thinking that HUNTERS ought to be the audience that TPWD is most concerned about.

This is the TPWD that:

Not only allows but encourages landowners to high fence in the game animals that according to TEXAS state law belong to all the people. This allows a private person to sell access to a public resource which they control 100%. No sane person questions a landowner's right to charge a tresspass fee, but I know of no other state that allows anyone to fence in the public's property (wild game animals) with no compensation to the state for the loss of its property.

Did a survey of the hunting publics' feelings and concerns re hunting in Texas. The NUMBER ONE CONCERN was access to hunting land the average guy could afford. So to address this urgent primary worry of Texas hunters the Ranchers' Welfare Dept PUT A LINK ON ITS HOME PAGE TO PRIVATE FOR PROFIT LEASES. The EXACT PROBLEM the survey respondents most complained about was miraculously presented as the solution.

Texas has no real walk-in public hunting program such as Montana, North Dakota, Kansas and many more states. Ever wonder why?? The answer is the TPWD doesn't want to cramp landowners' style. To hell with the hunters, the Ranchers' Welfare Dept couldn't care less.

The problem with this attitude towards hunters and landowners is very obvious in this thread about quail losses.

Why should anyone spend their hard earned cash by joining and contributing to the Texas Quail Coalition (or QU before) when all the benefits of those contributions go to private landowners whose ranches YOU will never set foot upon??? Or if you do set foot on one of those places, you, gentle reader, will pay many times over for that priviledge? Your taxes pay for CRP, your cash funds the Quail Coalition and you get to pay $6-10 an acre for access. What a deal.

NOT.

Problems with Texas quail are many and wide spread and will require landscape level solutions. Why should the average guy pay so a few can benefit from greatly increased quail numbers?

The answer is the average guy is NOT going to pay and so there will NOT be a landscape level solution unless Texas allows the average quail hunter to get in on the benefits as well.

Its simple really. Qui bono? Who benefits? If a person cannot benefit why would they pay?

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: quailguy] #1245846 02/16/10 02:59 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quailguy

You contradict yourself on your last post and some of your first.

And since my family has been in the ranching business for over 100 years I still have never seen any checks from TPW.
We get NO MONEY from any Gov funding. I think you are confusing us with FARMERS!!! farmer

Now all I keep trying to say is for this project to succeed it is going to take a all hands on deck approach. One group is just not going to cut it. But if you all want to keep it that way then fine. You can tell your grandkids how you use to drive 300 miles to kill wild quail but we just wouldnt get any other help so now you kids only get to hunt pen birds. crying. Those D@MN RANCHERS cowboy

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1246081 02/16/10 03:57 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
First Quail Guy all those states mentioned above are strickly volenteer on private land access... Maybe you should see what they get in return before you open your mouth.

Second You example of CRP is a joke... Not even remotely accurate. CRP is to stop soil erroison on less then desirable land and stop the dust bowl from rehappening,and balance the trade boards. SO you don't have to spend 20 dollar for a loaf of bread. Wild life is an extra benefit. Not to mention CRP program pay a 10th of what farming would bring on it. Most farmers know why it was important and see that its a less risky way to deverisfy their income and keep the grain price from crashing up and down ever year.

Your biggest problem is playing poor pitful pearl and not looking at the facts.

No ranchers is going to change his habitat with out incentive, that like me renting out my extra bed room for free. Your $6-10 acre lease money isn't even close to an incentive. The moment he takes out his coastal feilds or hay fields he just lost the hay income and his weater feed source.

The places that have great quail populations are usually those that have less then good cattle land, like south tx and the high plains. It makes since for those ranchers and farmers to make adjustments.

Actually the more I think about no matter what happend you wouldn't be happy unless everyone opened thier front door to you and offered you thier food and beer. Because Say jeff did have a ton of Quail... One of your fellow hunters is going to price you off the property any way. Problem is your only looking at your ability to hunt and not the actual survival of the quial. Guess if you can hunt them it doesn't matter!!! D@MN FARMERS
crying

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/16/10 03:59 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1246122 02/16/10 04:07 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Another pissing contest. bang

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1246149 02/16/10 04:20 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

No just makes me mad. People want to blame things on how people make money.. They don't think of how the rancher actually makes money and feeds his family... Only thing they want to do is point fingures because they don't have hunting access.

Thier are alot of good people out thier that donate to DU, Pheasants forever or buy a license but don't hunt, why becuase they see the benefit to wild life. Their are also a lot of land owners that take pay cuts for wildlife just to help the wild life. Understandbley not every one can do that so why lash out on those that can't. The are entitled to feed thier families also.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/16/10 04:21 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1246188 02/16/10 04:31 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Ah, grasshopper, never give someone else power over your mind, or emotions.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1246707 02/16/10 03:27 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
i was under the understanding that quialguy was never leasing or hunting in texas again so why is he so concerned with the way it's hunting and tpwd is ran ? am i missing something ?

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1246915 02/16/10 04:46 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A

Im not pissing with anyone. Im defending my family. We have farmed and ranched the Panhandle for 127 years to be exact. I spent a decade of my life on the regulatory side of the USDA, while my wife spent the time on the production side of the USDA. The reasons CRP and LDP and any other govt subsidy or payment was set up was to protect the CONSUMER of the USA, not the producer. bs

Budreau is probably a millionaire on paper and just works 7 days a week every week of the year for his health. banana

After all he is one of those greedy landowners.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1246930 02/16/10 04:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: aggiebrahma

Im not pissing with anyone. Im defending my family. We have farmed and ranched the Panhandle for 127 years to be exact. I spent a decade of my life on the regulatory side of the USDA, while my wife spent the time on the production side of the USDA. The reasons CRP and LDP and any other govt subsidy or payment was set up was to protect the CONSUMER of the USA, not the producer. bs

Budreau is probably a millionaire on paper and just works 7 days a week every week of the year for his health. banana

After all he is one of those greedy landowners.

clap clap clap up

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1247032 02/16/10 05:37 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
there are lots of us out there- greedy bastages- i just sit around all year coming up with all kinds of evil ways to rob the quial hunters of their money. ha ha ha (kinda like dr. evil)

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1247039 02/16/10 05:40 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: budreau
there are lots of us out there- greedy bastages- i just sit around all year coming up with all kinds of evil ways to rob the quial hunters of their money. ha ha ha (kinda like dr. evil)

rofl

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1247249 02/16/10 07:31 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I am retired, but how do you school teachers stay on this board all day? My wife teaches and she sure doesn't have time for this nor would the district allow it.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: scattergun] #1247356 02/16/10 08:07 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
dang aggie you got caught. be in trouble now

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1247742 02/16/10 10:41 PM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
To you texas ranchers I would like to say quailquy doesn't speak for all quail hunters. I think if the government (state or federal) came up w/ a program that would help our wild quail survive and thrive we would all be on board. The government wastes much of our tax dollars and I would be happy to see some of that go to hard working texas ranchers and farmers. All programs begin as an idea that is put into action, gain steam and thru trial and error either succeed or fail. QU has failed. Cable has brought our atten. to the quail coaltion and it seems to be on the right track and I believe it deserves our attention at the very least. Time will tell its story. Occasionaly, some from the migratory section (Jeff34) will fly over and hold out Delta as the model we should follow. I would like to point out that Delta came about from one man's response to the decline of waterfowling in the 30'. He and aldo leoupold scraped up 1000 dollars to fund a graduate student and the rest is history. Their most recent claim to fame, predation control at nesting sites, was began in the 2000's. Not exactly an overnite success. Another of their success stories is the youth and graduate studies they do. Exactly what Dr. Dale and his bunch are advocates of. The comedy stylings of jeff once told how the quail is gone due to fireants and the turkey is thriving on his (or should I say his daddy's) land. When reminded that quail and turkey both nest on the ground, he went into a rant saying he was sure it wasn't his cattle that caused it. He then came back with Delta's success on predation and recommened that quail hunters should control predation also. Well duh, now if we could only get all of the texas quail nesting around a few potholes maybe we could duplicate their results. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1247769 02/16/10 10:52 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
[ rofl flehan. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble. [/quote]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247796 02/16/10 11:06 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
High rack Jeff34 is the Texas state duck calling champ 1989. Show some respect!

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247804 02/16/10 11:11 PM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: westtex75
High rack Jeff34 is the Texas state duck calling champ 1989. Show some respect!
. Yea I hear when he blows a call bobwhite hens go in heat.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1247868 02/16/10 11:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
To you texas ranchers I would like to say quailquy doesn't speak for all quail hunters. I think if the government (state or federal) came up w/ a program that would help our wild quail survive and thrive we would all be on board. The government wastes much of our tax dollars and I would be happy to see some of that go to hard working texas ranchers and farmers. All programs begin as an idea that is put into action, gain steam and thru trial and error either succeed or fail. QU has failed. Cable has brought our atten. to the quail coaltion and it seems to be on the right track and I believe it deserves our attention at the very least.

I agree

Quote:

Time will tell its story. Occasionaly, some from the migratory section (Jeff34) will fly over and hold out Delta as the model we should follow. I would like to point out that Delta came about from one man's response to the decline of waterfowling in the 30'. He and aldo leoupold scraped up 1000 dollars to fund a graduate student and the rest is history. Their most recent claim to fame, predation control at nesting sites, was began in the 2000's. Not exactly an overnite success. Another of their success stories is the youth and graduate studies they do. Exactly what Dr. Dale and his bunch are advocates of. The comedy stylings of jeff once told how the quail is gone due to fireants and the turkey is thriving on his (or should I say his daddy's) land. When reminded that quail and turkey both nest on the ground, he went into a rant saying he was sure it wasn't his cattle that caused it. He then came back with Delta's success on predation and recommened that quail hunters should control predation also. Well duh, now if we could only get all of the texas quail nesting around a few potholes maybe we could duplicate their results. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble.

This is stupid. Regardless where his land came from weither his great grandfather, Grandfather, or dad.... He still works it everyday, and will continue to do so until the day he dies. Thats more then I'm sure most on here can say. Regardless of his upland knowledge, he along with ranchers just like him are going to be either the beginning of the Quail or end of the Quail. So you can either sit from puplet and judge or help educate.

Jeff brought up the biggest point on this whole thread how do you get land owners to lower thier income to help save quail habitit. You can't unless you subisize it like you mentioned above... an even then the subsitiy is not likely to fully cover the income loss. jeff brings up delta and DU because the sames things that help ducks in the southwest help cattle.. so its an easy sell to landowners.. But again quail habitat is different with different needs and different cause and effects.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1247888 02/16/10 11:52 PM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Educate me. What income loss?

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1247905 02/17/10 12:03 AM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
All of us concerned quail hunters know that landowners are the key. I for one don't begrudge ranchers one dime of income however they come by it. Jeff has bashed quail hunters in general of which I am one. I am certain he is a helluva duck hunter and a hard working cattle man, but he has made in the past some dumbarse statements about quail and quail hunters. I would think it only natural when one bashes some of those statements would be brought up.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247934 02/17/10 12:21 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: westtex75
All of us concerned quail hunters know that landowners are the key. I for one don't begrudge ranchers one dime of income however they come by it. Jeff has bashed quail hunters in general of which I am one. I am certain he is a helluva duck hunter and a hard working cattle man, but he has made in the past some dumbarse statements about quail and quail hunters. I would think it only natural when one bashes some of those statements would be brought up.

How can anyone bash quail hunters? We're the smartest people in the world. We're out there for the cheap meat. Quailguy took a bashing on this thread, but he paid $5,000 for no meat.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248037 02/17/10 01:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Are you buying the next round, I'm geting thristy?

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248045 02/17/10 01:22 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How many of you who have posted on this thread have given money to the Quail Coalition?

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248047 02/17/10 01:23 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I guess I could give you a virtual beer. Drink up.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248053 02/17/10 01:28 AM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

in a perfect quail world (or so i've been told ) there would be no livestock or very few and lots of weeds in the farm fields. nothing to disturb the quail habitat but the ocasional atv loaded with dog boxes

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248078 02/17/10 01:40 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I'm asking a legitimate question, and I get a smart azz answer.
Cattle and quail have lived together for a long time.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248083 02/17/10 01:41 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: budreau

in a perfect quail world (or so i've been told ) there would be no livestock or very few and lots of weeds in the farm fields. nothing to disturb the quail habitat but the ocasional atv loaded with dog boxes

yelp lots of weeds and no single grass pastures. No more broad leaf spraying on your field edges. Even CRP fields being multi-native grass fields instead of single and mowed or burned to keep them from getting to thick.

Less cows when the grasses get shorter...ect

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248091 02/17/10 01:45 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Yes they have and some say they go hand and hand. But look at the top quail desentations in TX for wild quail... What do those ranches have in common. They are not cattle dependent, so they have very little cattle pressure. Many of their pastures are managed strictly for quail not cattle. The Grasses are differnt, they aren't planting coastal and round baling it 2-4 times a year.

Their pastures are never grazed past a point, in fact most are using the cattle to manage the grasses. Not using the grass to manage cattle.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/17/10 01:47 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248100 02/17/10 01:49 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You quail guys need to calm down or Im going to tell my daddy your being mean to me!!! I think I will go to my glorified stock tank/ duck hole and cry now crying Most not ALL, but most of yall dont know $hit about land or as much about quail as you think. If your anti cattle then you have no clue how the prairies of Texas developed.. It was foot action from thousands of buffalo tearing every blade of grass to dirt. Yet the quail survived. A monster drought in the 30's then again in the 50's. Yet the quail survived. But now their numbers have plummeted. Could it be the lack of Federal trappers?? Dont know. I know on my DADDY'S ranch when I was a kid, when we saw a bob cat or coyote we thought it was a big deal. But when GRAND DADDY blew his whistle to his bird dogs there where lots of quail on my DADDYS ranch.

You know at Stuttgart I didnt make the second go with DADDYs whistle confused2

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bill oxner] #1248153 02/17/10 02:05 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
How many of you who have posted on this thread have given money to the Quail Coalition?

Not yet but I will. I've got nothing but blues though. I'd rather try to herd cats then let my dog loose on them.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bill oxner] #1248199 02/17/10 02:23 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I will in a few weeks at one of their banquets they are having.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248203 02/17/10 02:24 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Then it will give me room to B!TCH if I want to

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248227 02/17/10 02:31 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Yes they have and some say they go hand and hand. But look at the top quail desentations in TX for wild quail... What do those ranches have in common. They are not cattle dependent, so they have very little cattle pressure. Many of their pastures are managed strictly for quail not cattle. The Grasses are differnt, they aren't planting coastal and round baling it 2-4 times a year.

Their pastures are never grazed past a point, in fact most are using the cattle to manage the grasses. Not using the grass to manage cattle.

Most of the ranches I've hunted on are not fit to run many cattle on. The land can't handle a very large cattle to acre ratio. When I do run across coastal fields, they are patchworked in to the overall usage.
It would seem to me that a large working ranch, with many fields planted in coastal, wouldn't have many quail anyway. I don't think those ranches give much thought to quail, or their numbers, or hunters in general, unless there are deer. I realize that hunters dollars basically pay the taxes on a ranch. Ranchers and land owners don't get rich from hunters.

These new land management practices will probably be intended where quail and cattle coexist already.

There are probably 50 deer hunters to every quail hunter in Texas, with that one decreasing every year.

Doing nothing will produce exactly that, nothing. But, even if there is just one group of people trying to preserve a small little piece of this state, for the preservation of the bob white quail, I'm in favor for it.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248280 02/17/10 02:48 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Most of the ranches I've hunted on are not fit to run many cattle on. The land can't handle a very large cattle to acre ratio. When I do run across coastal fields, they are patchworked in to the overall usage.
It would seem to me that a large working ranch, with many fields planted in coastal, wouldn't have many quail anyway. I don't think those ranches give much thought to quail, or their numbers, or hunters in general, unless there are deer. I realize that hunters dollars basically pay the taxes on a ranch. Ranchers and land owners don't get rich from hunters.

These new land management practices will probably be intended where quail and cattle coexist already.

There are probably 50 deer hunters to every quail hunter in Texas, with that one decreasing every year.

Doing nothing will produce exactly that, nothing. But, even if there is just one group of people trying to preserve a small little piece of this state, for the preservation of the bob white quail, I'm in favor for it.

To me if your going to save the quail you have to save the quail hunters first. You save the quail hunter by adding more huntable land. Not just increasing quail numbers on where they are already doing well. IMO.

I have no idea whats the best way to fix the population, but I do know the way it is now... Its like having the only water hole for 50 miles... If you have access to that water hole your golden if you don't your going to be on the road for a while. So you have to start with THOSE ranches that had the quail but don't any more

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/17/10 02:49 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248283 02/17/10 02:48 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Costal has NO food value for wildlife, and isn't that great for cattle either.

All I have been trying to say is,,, before it got side tracked is basically what you are saying. Quail hunters # are droping and I think that a way to get more people involved is for the state to help in restocking the Quail.. More opportunity to shoot at quail means more people hunting quail, which means more people joining QC, wich means more $ for research!! If we can eradicat a screw worm , we can bring back quail.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248322 02/17/10 03:00 AM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Then it will give me room to B!TCH if I want to
. Oh hail the great one returns. Well at least I can agree with the b!tching part. Now gather round you dumbarse quail fanatics and let's soak in some more wisdom from flyboy Jeff. Now help us less fortunate thinkers are you saying bring back the buffalo or that quail can survive anything and we should do nothing. You have already told us the coaltion is folly. You did however offer up daddy's ranch for quail restocking. As far as your second round stuttgard performance, maybe if you had won you wouldn't have thrown them under the bus in favor of the eastern coast. It's not enough for you to tell the deer hunters that their prey is like shooting fish in a barrel, you gotta come over here and insult us too. Keep em coming brother i'm compiling a top ten.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248334 02/17/10 03:03 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
YOU bet low rack

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248339 02/17/10 03:04 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I think I just pee'd my pants thanks jeff

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248361 02/17/10 03:09 AM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
YOU bet low rack
. Now that's a good one right there. For 3rd grade that is. But we have already established you are a quick witted sucker.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248364 02/17/10 03:10 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Israel is hell on quail

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248368 02/17/10 03:12 AM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
. Have Jeff check for you while his head is up your arse.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248386 02/17/10 03:17 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Easy there little indian

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: scattergun] #1248395 02/17/10 03:20 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: scattergun
I am retired, but how do you school teachers stay on this board all day? My wife teaches and she sure doesn't have time for this nor would the district allow it.

Im the only teacher on the thread, so I assume you are speaking to me. Check my times. I believe I was at lunch, on my conference and during tutoring. Im well covered. Thanks for the concern.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1248481 02/17/10 03:42 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248493 02/17/10 03:45 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

up me too bang

One thing I miss about the ville... Jerry Jeff!!!

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248496 02/17/10 03:46 AM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

Might want to earn some stripes around here before you start throwing rocks. Just a suggestion.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Parker] #1248631 02/17/10 04:23 AM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
When I'm done on the toliet I don't have to peek to know what is floating below. 10 posts or 10000 posts I call bs when I see it. Insult a quail hunter and you bring out the fight in me.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248695 02/17/10 04:37 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Kyle go to bed

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248791 02/17/10 05:11 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
High Rack and Jeff34, this is what pm's are for lol. What are some ways we could bring this to the goverments attention? What caused them to help bring back the turkey? And why does the QC or anybody else have to do testing and other things for helping bring back quail on a someones ranch when they could use the WMA's, the Matador, Gene Howe, or the Chaparral. That way we could all benefit from it for only $48 a year. Then progess it from there to the bigger ranches that would like to help contribute to the cause.

Say When.....
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248797 02/17/10 05:14 AM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Finally a good idea from you John Boy. Hope you have a good day tomorrow on Walton mtn. Get your rest I'm sure daddy will have chores lined up for you in the morning.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: CinchMan] #1248851 02/17/10 05:41 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: MSP24
High Rack and Jeff34, this is what pm's are for lol. What are some ways we could bring this to the goverments attention? What caused them to help bring back the turkey? And why does the QC or anybody else have to do testing and other things for helping bring back quail on a someones ranch when they could use the WMA's, the Matador, Gene Howe, or the Chaparral. That way we could all benefit from it for only $48 a year. Then progess it from there to the bigger ranches that would like to help contribute to the cause.

Thats what im saying. I have a friend from high school who is a state rep. Im going to call him and see what he can do.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1248960 02/17/10 01:01 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T

Now is that really necessary?

Ya'll need to chill out, if you have an issue, take it off line rifle

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: TreeBass] #1249164 02/17/10 03:01 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
jeff34 said something about varmits could be the problem. he may be on to something. my family has been in the panhandle for a long long time and we run cattle the same way we always have and we farm less than we used to by putting 90% of the wheat land in crp with a native grass mix. we still have birds but not the numbers of the past and the difference i can see is back in the 70's and early 80's the fur market was hot and quail were everywhere , now nobody hunts furs like they did and quail are down. just my .02

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1249570 02/17/10 05:33 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a call, and sent a email to my friend. Will post back on here when I talk with him.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1249665 02/17/10 05:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
One of the biggest groups of Blues I ran into this year was a CRP field that caught fire two years ago.. I hunt that feild alot for Pheasants... In 10 years I have never came aross blues there.

Since the fire it has a lot of weeds and other grasses in it(which I'm probley going to get in trouble for). Also not as thick as it once was

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/17/10 05:57 PM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1251258 02/18/10 04:18 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My think the predators have a bigger impact than we think. I've never seen this many coyotes around at my deer lease or a WMA or just in the city as we have now. When the QC gets up and going they'll get my support, if my money is staying in Texas for TEXAS quail then I'm all for it.

Say When.....
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1290099 03/07/10 03:59 AM
B
bignoggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Well said, Budreau. Your observation is not without merit. Plenty of experienced landowners and ranch managers alike share a similar experience. Indeed there are other significant mitigating factors, however this is a rarely mentioned, yet noteworthy catalyst to the problem we now face.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: CinchMan] #1294413 03/08/10 11:22 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: MSP24
My think the predators have a bigger impact than we think. I've never seen this many coyotes around at my deer lease or a WMA or just in the city as we have now. When the QC gets up and going they'll get my support, if my money is staying in Texas for TEXAS quail then I'm all for it.

Coyotes are not the only problem and only a small part in my oppinion. Look how many stinkin coons there are nowadays. Add in skunks, possums, snakes, bobcats and finally........FIREANTS! Now if all of that is not a big enough disaster, you have record low rainfalls for Texas for a long time and more and more "ranchers" (I'm talking the ritzy ones that doze 400 acres to plant plush bermuda for their trophy horses) and just so much urban development.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide