Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Walmart sporting goods cashier #111510 11/19/06 03:15 PM
W
wileyporker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
I was at our local walmart buying some 22lr ammo when I overheard a discussion between a customer and the cashier in the SG department. The customer was looking for .280 remington ammo which I know they do not have. The cashier produced a box of 7mm-08 ammo and said that it was the same thing. That's when I stepped up and explained the difference between the two. My question is, why can't walmart hire people with at least half a brain to work the SG department?

Last year a older lady was trying to buy 7mm STW ammo at a WM supercenter I happened to be at. The clerk had her convinced that the 7mm Remington Mag was the same and he nearly made the sale until I chimed in. I had to argue with the clerk to convince him of his error.

I just wonder how many people buy the wrong ammo and end up blowing up their gun and getting hurt because of the random acts of stupidity administered by idiots?

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: wileyporker] #111511 11/19/06 03:33 PM
N
NathanaelGreene Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
And you know, even if they don't get hurt, they get stuck with ammunition that they can't return.

It would seem to me that Wal-Mart has a legal liability if they actually tell a customer to buy the wrong ammunition for a firearm. And maybe it'll take a few lawsuits before Wal-Mart spends the money to train its cashiers properly.

But I'm not holding my breath...

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: NathanaelGreene] #111512 11/19/06 03:52 PM
D
DoubleBayou Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Could this be why they are slowly (but quickly) getting out of the shooting/hunting sports? About all my local WalMart has now is camo belts, a few shirts and then the ammo case.

Their is a liability and I believe they are seeing that and backing out of it.

But guess who wins in court, they do. We have the burden of knowing what ammo is proper. Their lawyers will gut you for not knowing.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: DoubleBayou] #111513 11/20/06 12:32 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Bayou,
A new Supercenter replaced an older WalMart in our town about two weeks ago. I went by for a looksee, but was very disappointed in the sporting goods area. They have ammo, but no guns & very little other shootings items. The baseball, basketball, and other team sports items had taken over. I asked one of the sales associates where the items were and his reply was "The new store manager has decided that those items do not draw in enough buyers, so we are carrying the more desirable items". I about had a fit to put it mildly!!! I wrote a letter to the corporate headquarters, but I know I will be lucky if I even receive a response much less an impact.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: nuprofessor] #111514 11/20/06 12:46 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You can make an impact!!! Quit shopping at Walmart. Spend your money elsewhere. My family has ceased to shop there and we will continue to shop elsewhere.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: DLALLDER] #111515 11/20/06 01:24 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I would think it's the store managers decision rather tham walmart but sending them letters and emails sure wouldn't hurt.Just tell them you are taking your and your friends shopping to stores where they appreciate hunters business.It might not help but it's worth a try and if more people send them replys it sure wouldn't hurt.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: John2] #111516 11/20/06 02:53 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Walmart is(or was)a good place to buy some
outdoor items including guns and ammo for the
person that knows what they want and need.
Expecting advice or direction from a stocking
employee is just asking for trouble. It's the
same in all departments. They sell for less for
a reason. If you don't know what you need, go
to a specialty store. As for me, I don't trust
ANYONE ANYWHERE to tell me what I need. I'll do
whatever research is required and make my own choice.
Then buy it where I can get the best deal.

I've typed this story before, just can't remember where.
I was in an Academy (obviously not a hi-end store but
an outdoors store non the less). I over heard a customer
ask the man BEHIND THE GUN COUNTER "is this a good gun?"
The counter mans reply, "don't ask me, I don't like guns".
It can happen anywhere I tell you.

PK

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: PKnTX] #111517 11/22/06 01:57 AM
G
g220 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I've notice the same decline with Wal-mart. Shoot, I remember when they used to order handguns. When I was either 19 or 20, I was considering purchasing one of those 9mm semi-auto carbines by Ruger just to use as a handy brush gun. I remember getting into a long heated debate with the manager who was refusing to sell me the ammunition because it was handgun ammunition and I wasn't 21. Even though this guy was not lawfully correct, I decided not to buy the carbine and just walk away shaking my head. It seems that the fit I raised did some good, because a few weeks later they changed their ways began to ask if it was for a rifle or handgun before the purchase was complete.

Anyways, that being said, it is possible for one to make a difference. Was I the only one? I don't know but that sure encouraged me to always stand up for what I know is right. (but know when to take the high road)

g220

Heaven is my Homeland - God is my Security
Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: g220] #111518 11/22/06 03:01 AM
W
Wild Boar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Let me tell you a story about wal-mart. Youth weekend I went to buy my 5 year old son a hunting license. The clerk behind the counter told me that he was not old enough to get a license , I asked him to show me in the regulation book where it said you had to be a certain age to hunt. And he said I can tell buy looking that he isn't old enough to hunt and I'm not going to sell him a license. This is where I blowed my top, I told him that I was his dad and I would decide when he was old enough to hunt. After a long heated decussion a store manager showed up( he proble heard me from across the store because I did draw a crowd)and ask me if he could help me and I told yes by firing that dumb SON OF A -ITCH behind the counter and he said why and I explained he sold me a license and when I was walking away he was chewing the clerks arse out. I dont know if he fired him but I didn't seen him in there the next time I was there. Last year when I was buy my hunting license I noticed on the board over the counter that has the season dates and bag limits on it that it said the bag limit for morning dove was 20 , I open the book and it plainly said 15 I told the clerk and said oh well I'll have it change it later a week later it still wasn't changed. I just wondered how many people was miss led, and when it get close to sept.1 walmart always runs out of the regulation books.

P.W. ARCHERY
www.boardhunts.com
Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Wild Boar] #111519 11/22/06 03:23 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey you guys, you can’t have low price and high quality service, that business model won’t float. You will find the lowest prices at wal-mart, but don’t expect Cabela’s customer service.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Guy] #111520 11/22/06 05:04 AM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
yea but they should know a little about what they sell,gander mountain is not much better unless you talk to a maneger...

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: biz] #111521 11/22/06 12:16 PM
O
Omaney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Wonder if ol' Sam Walton had this in mind...probably spinning in his grave.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Omaney] #111522 11/22/06 12:56 PM
N
NETxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Do not go into Wal-Mart and expect to get good help, because you can hardly find it. It doesn't matter what dept you need help in. One night I asked the guy standing behind the cash register with the keys, to make me a couple spares. He said that he didn't know how to operate the machine and that I would have to wait 30 minutes for the next guy to come in to work. I asked how long he had worked in that department and he said 2 years. And he didn't know how to make some spare keys????? The people in electronics know absolutely nothing about the cameras or equipment, and sometimes its even hard for them to find their head cause its so far up their arse.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: NETxHunter] #111523 11/22/06 01:36 PM
W
wileyporker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Another WM story. Back in the early 90s, my Cousin was dating the sporting goods guy from our local WM. She decided to bring him over to our house on a day that we were having fun shooting 22s. This real top notch self proclaimed WM "gun expert" asked if the guns we were shooting were 30-30s. True there were a few Marlin rifles with tubular magagines there (I guess that's what threw him), but for Pete's sake they were semi auto 22lrs. The bad thing was my cousin thought she really made a good catch by landing this intelligent man. We still laugh about it today because the guy is still the WM sporting goods manager and my cousin is living in Eastern Tennessee.

Last edited by wileyporker; 11/22/06 01:37 PM.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: wileyporker] #111524 11/22/06 02:46 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
It only takes 2 hours to get a hunting license from those people...

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: biz] #111525 11/22/06 03:25 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

yea but they should know a little about what they sell

You got to find an employee to talk to first. The geeks in the video game department seem to know their stuff!

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: jbhlsu] #111526 11/22/06 03:28 PM
A
ardodson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
This doesnt have to do with guns but it has to do with sporting goods employees, one day I was at academy and there was a man talking to the sporting goods employee about what fishing equipment to get for his self and nephew because they had never been fishing before and wanted to start. The employee asked what they wanted to catch and the customer told him catfish, so the clerk was telling him what he SHOULD get the employeee ended up trying to set him up with 2 spinning combos, numerous bags of bass worms and all sorts of lures telling him that these are the best for catfish. After the clerk walked away I talked to the man explaining what the clerk was trying to sell him was not the best for what he was after and I tried to help him out. It was so bad that all I could do was laugh at the employees advice.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Omaney] #111527 11/22/06 03:51 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Wonder if ol' Sam Walton had this in mind...probably spinning in his grave.

Actually, Sam Walton’s marketing message is “Great products at our Every Day Low Prices”, you wont see customer service any where in their marketing message. That was Sam Walton's philosophy when he opened up his first store in 1962. This strategy has been very successful, the stock is up 500% over that last 10 year. Trying to have both low price and great customer service is model for failure. The idea is that many folks are willing to deal with low quality customer service for a low price. You get what you pay for.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: wileyporker] #111528 11/22/06 05:20 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That is ashame, but you really can't expect too much from Wal-mart. As a gun owner one should know not to put anything in the gun that it is not made for and is stamped on the side. Shooting guns can be a lot of fun, but some people need to take it more serious and do some homework on what they have bought and what it shoots so they don't end up with a blow up.

I see this kind of like the person who gets taken for thousands by a crook who calls on the phone stating they work with Visa need to confirm the information on their account and need to get thier card number.... You feel sorry for them, but then you ask yourself how did they let it happen in the first place.

-Greg

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Greg] #111529 11/22/06 05:52 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Sometimes I think this is another example of
outdoors-persons shooting themselves in the foot
(no pun intended). For years we had a convenient
place to go and buy rifles, shotguns, ammo, fishing
gear and all other manner of outdoors supplies and
you hear and read "Walmart don't know nuthin about
guns or ammo. This prissy boy behind the counter
answered some ladys question wrong!!!"
Like Guy typed, the reason you can afford more stuff
at Walmart is because they sell stuff not advice,
instruction or directions.
Or the ever popular "Walmart is Satan! They
put Mom & Pop out of business! They're in bed
with the communists!"
In my eyes, Walmart is the very definition
of capitalism. Everybody loves the theory of
capitalism but very many absolutly HATE the
reality of it.
And so now the complaints are "Walmart is going
to stop selling guns! They must be in bed with
the Anti's!!"

Some things are so sad they're funny.

PK

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: PKnTX] #111530 11/22/06 06:35 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

They put Mom & Pop out of business!

Mom and Pop stores can compete with Walmart, but to be successful, they must not compete head-to-head by competing on price, Walmart owns that corner of the market. You must compete on “value”, not price. To compete on value, from a product perspective, you got to have higher value products than Walmart, higher value products require a knowledgeable sales person to be able to explain why their Porsche is a better “value” than Walmart’s Volkswagen. Go to Walmart first, check out their product and price, then go to a specialty store. The sales guy at the specialty store will know the Walmart product better than Walmart, and will be able to explain why their product is better and why it is worth the higher price. Walmart can’t sell products like specialty store because they don’t have sales people to explain the value of higher quality products and to give customers the warm and fuzzes for their high dollar purchase.

Capitalism is a beautiful thing.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: PKnTX] #111531 11/22/06 06:38 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Walmart is(or was)a good place to buy some
outdoor items including guns and ammo for the
person that knows what they want and need.
Expecting advice or direction from a stocking
employee is just asking for trouble. It's the
same in all departments. They sell for less for
a reason. If you don't know what you need, go
to a specialty store.

Yep.

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: Guy] #111532 11/22/06 08:02 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
This thread reminds me of an old customer from Longview Texas now long passed.
A long time dealer Tony Valentino heard about the new fangled Discount Store called Gibsons coming to town, the very first Gibson's in East Texas, got wind of where it was going to be located...and bought as much land as he could right next door...just couldn't share the same parking lot even though he tried. Tony was a smart man 'cause he knew that any general merchandise store that was all about price cutting and limited selections would draw people and PO most of them, or let the wife shop in Gibsons while he got Daddy and the boys ...and he wanted to capture those people "for free" without having to advertise give away prices by having any and everything that Gibsons would not have that people wanted. I heard many times Tony conjure up a tale of working out an agreement with Gibsons to build a all weather underground tunnel across the parking lot complete with a tram shuttle ...which was pure BS and we all knew it but smiled and applauded at the idea anyway when he was telling the tale with a twinkle in his eye ...some things he price matched on them when he had to and lost a few bux...but he traded guns like every East Texan loves to do, he would order anything a guy wanted from factory or distributor sales reps like me ...and he had 10 times the selection ...all at his prices...and made a fortune off of Gibsons...by being "right next door just across the parking lot"...and I can't tell you how many times Tony had more cars on his end of the Gibson lot than gibsons had in front of the store. BTDT
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: wileyporker] #111533 11/22/06 10:13 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
That's why I don't shop there anymore, went to the paint dept. to get some paint for my deer stand,didn't really care about diffrent shades of color, just something brown. After 20 mins. of waiting there, finally found some one in the housewares dept. to help me. He said I know a little bit about mixing paint, I can try to get it to match the sample card that I picked out. I said don't worry I'll buy it even if it comes out diffrent, I just don't want white paint. He said no problem, so we go to work on it, adding this and that, till I think we got it, all of the sudden a manager shows up and starts chewing this kid out for mixing my paint, seems the kid is 17 and I think store policy is to mix paint the employee has to be either 18 or 21.

So I jump in and tell the loud mouth that if he would of had someone there in the paint dept. to do it, I would not have to bother this man from his other dept. since I had waited 20 min. no one would or could help me, but him.

Said mgr. told me the store or corporate policy forbids any less than 18 or 21 (I forget) to handle any paint products. I told him that was O.K. since I was 50 we are covered. He said Sir I understand your problem, you will still have to wait until the paint employee is off break to mix your paint, no exceptions.

Wonderful, stick it in your A**, I said, no exceptions.

Last time I shopped at Wal-Mart

Spanky

Re: Walmart sporting goods cashier [Re: DLALLDER] #111534 11/22/06 11:19 PM
S
skyshark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

You can make an impact!!! Quit shopping at Walmart. Spend your money elsewhere. My family has ceased to shop there and we will continue to shop elsewhere.

City boy ehhhh.... Man that is the only store we have in lockhart.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide