Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what shells? [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #1073285 12/01/09 05:16 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Kent FS 3" #3 and #4 through a Carlson's Mid Range (MOD) choke. I'm a firm believer in the "speed kills" theory. And man that combo patterns extremely well in my SuperNova.

As far as stages go, I think all apply to me now except the Shooter Stage.

- Like getting a limit if possible? Yes
- Do I want a nice sprig on the wall? Have I spent two weeks at the end of the season chasing that trophy knowing that I wouldn't see any other species of ducks and could only take one? Yes and Yes
- More gear than I could possibly use? Yes (ask wife)
- The experience mean more than the harvest? YES

I guess if I had to pick I'd be somewhere between Method and Sportsman (or both) stages. Every night before a hunt I wake up all night long thinking about the forecasted wind, clouds, and temp and how that applies to location, decoy and blind setups. EVERY time, can't cut it off.

However, I also don't care if I even shoot when I have my brother, son, or father in law with me. I let them empty their guns on singles (or let it get out of their ranges) before I even think about pulling the trigger. Nothin' better than blood on blood in the blind...

Re: what shells? [Re: LarryCopper] #1073314 12/01/09 05:35 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
let's all bow down to delta as he pats himself on the back flehan

#sigline
Re: what shells? [Re: LarryCopper] #1073342 12/01/09 05:46 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Dang DW... My advise to the youngster is if you are crippling alot of birds keep putting steel into em on the way down... or shoot them again when they hit the water and are still swimming.
it is efficient and ethical. If it is his first season he prolly dosent know how far the birds are out (that comes with time)

It is apparent you are very passionate about the sport but your passion can be intrepted as being overbearing to someone who is just starting out, as much as everyone complains about Barneys and newbies they will be tomorows "sportsmen" and in my opinion to throw out all of your "stats" although impressive to say the least... Are only a great excuse for this guy to say "screw it I am gonna play golf"...

me personally... I hunt because I enjoy the hell out of it and I love the sunrise but I also enjoy shooting a few ducks. I really get a thrill out of getting other folks involved and I never get tired of the questions. I guess I am glad to share what I know with someone who is intrested. (not unlike you)

Now I have a couple of questions for you...

you said you hunted 27 times and got limits, in the first split... according to my calculations that would be 162 birds... in the same sentance you said you shot less than 150 rounds so that being the case you would of had to NEVER miss AND kill 2 birds with one shot at least 12 times, and unless you gave away the birds your freezer is over the limit... Im just sayin

Re: what shells? [Re: nogeese] #1073400 12/01/09 06:11 PM
T
Tuoms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: nogeese

me personally... I hunt because I enjoy the hell out of it and I love the sunrise but I also enjoy shooting a few ducks. I really get a thrill out of getting other folks involved and I never get tired of the questions. I guess I am glad to share what I know with someone who is intrested. (not unlike you)

X2

There are numerous times where I hardly see any birds. But a day in the field beats a day in the office. I dont have the money for private leases, which leaves me with public land. And I dont have the time to scout all the time. There is nothin better than bein out there with my closest friends and dog. Throwin in a big chew, and watchin the sun come up and clear the fog from the water. Who cares what kind of 'hunter' you. I myself am an outdoorsman. No need to categorize myself as anything else. I love being outdoors, harvesting and eating animals I shoot, but if I get skunked, I was still outdoors, and still had a good time.

[Linked Image]
Re: what shells? [Re: nogeese] #1073421 12/01/09 06:20 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Why is it I am patting my self on the back when I try to make a point.

Yet when you read on here everyday about a jake leg setting up to close and then sky busting that is not right either.

My point is, unless you know every variable don't just throw out information, if a guy asking a question out of frustration tries any of the shells spit out and it doesn't cure his problem, have you helped him in anyway or just made him even more frustrated because it worked for you but not him?

The total bird count was 111

10 6 bird limits
17 3 bird limits

I have gained 10-15 lbs from eating duck fajitas everyday for a month.

Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1073433 12/01/09 06:24 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: SeanW
Im seventeen and this is my first year to get into the ducks on my own but im injuring and lossing alot so i was wonderin what shells ya'll use?

DW, I understand the point you're trying to make, but the OP is stated above. He asked what we were using.

Re: what shells? [Re: Cochise] #1073519 12/01/09 06:51 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
# 2 BC out of a mod choke. Pattern my gun, and that is the shell it likes.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: what shells? [Re: Cochise] #1073954 12/01/09 09:30 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: cboone22
Im seventeen and this is my first year to get into the ducks on my own but im injuring and lossing alot so i was wonderin what shells ya'll use?

DW, I understand the point you're trying to make, but the OP is stated above. He asked what we were using.

Can you not read the frustration in his post?

He makes a statement about the number of birds he is losing, then ask about what we are using, it isn't a cut and dry question.

This is the way I read the question:

This is my first year to get into ducks on my own:

He either had a family member or a friends family member take him in the past and they probably called the shots.

I am injuring and losing a lot:

He is either using the wrong choke, wrong shell, or misjudging the distance. This is understandable, what can you remember about your first few times in the blind, other than your heart was racing and you were hooked?

What shells are y'all using?

This is him starting to second guess his methods and equipement. His equipement may be fine, he may just need to fine tune his method.

Re: what shells? [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #1074344 12/01/09 11:27 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl
Originally Posted By: cboone22

Can you not read the frustration in his post?

He makes a statement about the number of birds he is losing, then ask about what we are using, it isn't a cut and dry question.

This is the way I read the question:

This is my first year to get into ducks on my own:

He either had a family member or a friends family member take him in the past and they probably called the shots.

I am injuring and losing a lot:

He is either using the wrong choke, wrong shell, or misjudging the distance. This is understandable, what can you remember about your first few times in the blind, other than your heart was racing and you were hooked?

What shells are y'all using?

This is him starting to second guess his methods and equipement. His equipement may be fine, he may just need to fine tune his method.

thank you Dr. Phil! rofl c'mon man the guy asked a simple question, I think you are reading alot mor into it. 2cents

Re: what shells? [Re: nogeese] #1074457 12/01/09 11:57 PM
D
Ducksnbass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
hahaha i didnt mean too start all this but ive gathered kents with modified i think and idk what a PM is but i live about an hour out in rockwall but i would like to hunt with you and try and pick up a few things thanks

huntin,fishin,and ladies what else is there?
Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1074477 12/02/09 12:03 AM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Rockwall...uh oh..You don't hunt with some of them Heath boys do you?

Re: what shells? [Re: Cochise] #1074513 12/02/09 12:13 AM
D
Ducksnbass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
no sir just me and two friends im the only one whos duck hunted b4 and i figured i'd try and get them into it since my dad doesnt hunt anymore so its just the three of us doin what we can ha

huntin,fishin,and ladies what else is there?
Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1074540 12/02/09 12:23 AM
G
Greenheadless Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: Guy
Kent faststeel 3 inch #4 is my overall shell of choice. up

X 2, I prefer the 1-1/8oz. loads.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Re: what shells? [Re: Jeff Elder] #1075076 12/02/09 02:47 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeff34
Dang Guy that must be some in your face shooting... I havent shot #6 since 1988 and that was lead

Yeah, I been shooting them close, but I think up to 35 yards they are on, after that, the range drops off fast. But I have not take’n many shots past 35 yards this season, when I have I have missed. I started out the season shooting #6 with IC, and was very please with that, deadly with in 35 yards, felt like I could not miss. It is amazing the damage #6 shot can do within 35 yards.

Then I went to #4s, thinking I could maybe reach out further and get my limit faster in the mornings, and I took that concept and went to a mod chock and mixed in some bigger shot and even 3.5 inch #2 (kent and BC) I had from last year, again thinking maybe I could reach more birds and get my limits faster in the mornings, but I do not think it helped at all, in fact I say my production was worse. So I’m back to #6 and #4, and shoot’m close.

And many have made posts above about “I like this shell, no cripples, etc..”, I’m sorry, I’m calling BS there. I have shot all kinds of shells, from all distances, and there are always cripples. I have hammered ducks with many pellets, and they have swam off. And I have hit ducks with 1 pellet, and they drop dead. It just depends on where the pellets hit. LarryCooper posted above about how speed kills, I go with that more than anything. I have cleaned many birds where the pellets were in the breast, I suspected they were the crippled ones, but if the pellet went all the way through the breast and through the bird, that is a better chance for a kill. But I have shot cripples point blank with 3.5 #2 and 2 ¾ #6, and seen them swim off, but give me a #6 any day on a cripple! up

Re: what shells? [Re: Marcstar] #1075116 12/02/09 03:02 AM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I shoot Kent 3" #3's with an extended IC. Got to love those # 3's.

Originally Posted By: Richie Incognito
the thing about baiting is, even a rookie hunter could have a 170 bird season if they bait holes
Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1075923 12/02/09 02:40 PM
R
roadkillmallard Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Here is my .02 cents

Steel shot is not effective like lead is. not even close.

Steel shot will knock birds out of the air but not kill them.

I have made some long shoots with steel 2's but those shots were because the birds were straight over head and no moving much.

Steel shot doesnt not have the shot string like lead so you need extra payload at those ranges to kill them. If you shoot steel i recommend 3.5 inch sheels of #2 and a good mod choke.

Re: what shells? [Re: roadkillmallard] #1079692 12/03/09 06:10 PM
B
bjw2823 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
There has only been one person to say they shoot 3.5 inch shells. What are the cons to 3.5 inch shells. I just duck hunt when ask to go maybe 3-4 times a year(after deer season)so I am no expert. My thinking has always been bigger is better. Also, does the oz. shot make much of a difference.

Re: what shells? [Re: bjw2823] #1079785 12/03/09 06:56 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
popcorn

Re: what shells? [Re: bjw2823] #1080470 12/03/09 11:52 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bjw2823
There has only been one person to say they shoot 3.5 inch shells. What are the cons to 3.5 inch shells.

1) They are more expensive

2) They are heavier, more bulky to carry..

3) More recoil.

4) They will tend to jam more, and just will not cycle as well as 3 inch.

5) They are louder..

6) And finally, the “I’m-better-than-you” types will accuse you of being a barney-sky-buster and if you were as good as them and shoot them over the deeks all you need is 2 3/4 inch shells. So 3.5 inch are not as cool, according to some, but in reality, they are just weenies and can't handle the 3.5 inch. grin

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Re: what shells? [Re: Ducksnbass] #1080476 12/03/09 11:56 PM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

Federal Black Cloud IC choke #2 or #3 shot size. When hit they fall from sky, I go pickup done deal simple

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: what shells? [Re: deckhand] #1080801 12/04/09 02:23 AM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I've been shooting 3" #4 Experts because my local Wally World sells them for $9.00/box. Been killing fine all season.

Re: what shells? [Re: Water Turkey2] #1080919 12/04/09 02:59 AM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Sean;

Without realizing it you opened a can of worms (insert popcorn smiley here). There are very few more debated questions than load selection. Among those topics are SBE vs. A5, whether you should name lakes and is the Mallard the king of ducks.

While it is best to find a load a choke combination that works best for your weapon, there's not really time for that in the middle of your first duck season. My advice to you would be to use a modified choked 12ga shooting any modern steel load of #3s or #2s of 1&1/8th or 1&1/4oz with a velocity of at least 1400fps and restrict your shots to 35 yards or less. Enjoy the challenge of getting close.

Longer shots will come with experience and patterning.

If, by chance, you are using a 20ga there aren't many options available for that. Get whatever you can find at the store, run it through a modified factory choke and restrict your shots to 25 yards or less to prevent crippling.

Have fun and spend the off season learning to call ducks, learning your local water and patterning loads.

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Re: what shells? [Re: Windrider] #1080935 12/04/09 03:03 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Windrider
While it is best to find a load a choke combination that works best for your weapon

Excuse me, but you do not hunt with weapons. grin

Re: what shells? [Re: Guy] #1080957 12/04/09 03:12 AM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Windrider
While it is best to find a load a choke combination that works best for your weapon

Excuse me, but you do not hunt with weapons. grin

After watching you try to shoot ducks last year, I agree you do not hunt with a weapon. grin

Put down the SBE and get an A5 man. You'd hit more if you weren't slingin' spagetti. whip

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide