Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Grizz] #1025264 11/10/09 01:24 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: grizz
Just move the markers and redirect the lazy bums into a pit lined with spikes. Problem solved. up

Keep it up and you'll have these guys even more afraid of getting lost in the dark.

Yes, this was surely another case where using a more direct approach has left a few grown men with sore toes. Still, it just might encourage one or two to increase their woodsmanship savy.

The experience has also reminded me how thankful I and others of my generation should be, to have grown up hunting with men who would have chuckled at using such things.

We owe it to the sport to ensure that future generations don't ignore and loose the skills and knowledge that were handed down to us. And that includes having to put up with the arrogance of those who choose to mock us for the effort.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Grizz] #1026059 11/10/09 12:17 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
flush

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026200 11/10/09 02:30 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring
The experience has also reminded me how thankful I and others of my generation should be, to have grown up hunting with men who would have chuckled at using such things.

Would these men have chuckled at using a GPS that costs a few hundred bucks that you say should be invested in or is it just the reflective tape that's unacceptable to the "real" woodsmen? Both are ways to help one find his way, though I'd have to say that reflective tape has been around and available to the American hunter quite a bit longer than GPS units and would definitely be thought of as more "old school" to me anyway.

invest in a GPS.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026240 11/10/09 02:48 PM
D
Dude Briggs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Wow, I must suck at hunting cause I put out some tape at the public land I hunt. I just like to be able to get to my spot as quickly as possible in the dark. Why dont you just worry about yourself, it's PUBLIC land and if you dont like how everybody else navigates the woods dont hunt on PUBLIC land. soap

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026272 11/10/09 03:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Would these men have chuckled at using a GPS that costs a few hundred bucks that you say should be invested in or is it just the reflective tape that's unacceptable to the "real" woodsmen? Both are ways to help one find his way, though I'd have to say that reflective tape has been around and available to the American hunter quite a bit longer than GPS units and would definitely be thought of as more "old school" to me anyway.

invest in a GPS.

I carry a GPS more as a safeguard whenever I might find myself in an unfamiliar area, as the case when tracking a wounded deer. I also like to use it to use to create a mental map of where various stands and landmarks are in relation (direction and distance) to each other. That way, I only need to use a compass to get from one spot to the next. And not to be overlooked is the benefit of satellite images that show key landmarks (roads, property lines, creeks, etc.) in helping you get the "big picture" of a general area.

Still, all of these tools don't replace the need to spend enough time scouting and becoming so familiar with an area that can easily find you way with nothing more than a flashlight at best. And "time" is what the current generation so often doesn't wish to sacrifice being in the woods when they might otherwise be sitting on a couch playing the latest version of Grand Theft Auto.

JMHO, but a GPS and compass should become your "fall back" tools whenever you find yourself in those places where you've never walked before.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026291 11/10/09 03:06 PM
C
cody2422 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
And here I was a couple days ago wondering where Dan the Man went with his all of his wonderful posts.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: cody2422] #1026306 11/10/09 03:11 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cody2422
And here I was a couple days ago wondering where Dan the Man went with his all of his wonderful posts.

They must have refilled his Oxyen tank, so now he is back for a short stint

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026321 11/10/09 03:19 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
However, I might be tempted to move them so that you travel in circles. Or even worse, unknowingly end up at another hunter's stand.

I sincerely hope this is an attempt at humor. Talk about totally irresponsible and dangerous actions.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026345 11/10/09 03:27 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
And "time" is what the current generation so often doesn't wish to sacrifice being in the woods when they might otherwise be playing the latest version of Grand Theft Auto.

Or maybe they're busy working to earn a living to support their families or coaching their kids' sports teams or going to school to better the lives for themselves and those that rely on them. The former two are more and more responsible for taking my time these days to where I'd use reflective tape as a "fall back" tool to ensure I found my way since I'm unable to spend as much time as I'd like in the woods, much like you use a GPS, which you find totally acceptable.

Seriously....you really need to check your cynicism at the door.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026368 11/10/09 03:37 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Wow... or maybe they were their to help a new hunter as a backup to their learning process of being a Davy Crockett...

This and the lake naming are interesting threads... it's seems to be some people making rules for themselves, and expecting everyone else to live by them. How about encourage others to do it your way without being condescending in the process.

I don't mark trails for myself either, but I have done it for guys new to a place, or my wife or son, or when tracking... I do have a small roll of orange tape, a compass, and a GPS in my pack... guess I'll never be Davy Crockett either.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026371 11/10/09 03:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
And "time" is what the current generation so often doesn't wish to sacrifice being in the woods when they might otherwise be playing the latest version of Grand Theft Auto.

Or maybe they're busy working to earn a living to support their families or coaching their kids' sports teams or going to school to better the lives for themselves and those that rely on them. The former two are more and more responsible for taking my time these days to where I'd use reflective tape as a "fall back" tool to ensure I found my way since I'm unable to spend as much time as I'd like in the woods, much like you use a GPS, which you find totally acceptable.

Seriously....you really need to check your cynicism at the door.

All the more reason to teach your kids basic woodsmanship and other outdoor and hunting skills when they're young, before they never have time to learn them on their own as adults.

Or do you really want the extent of your son or daughter's knowledge of how to find their way safely through the forest, to be limited to leaving bread crumbs?

Sadly, much of this knowledge appears to have already been lost so that kids have no one to teach it to them today. They surely cannot depend on parents who only know how to use bread crumbs.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026421 11/10/09 03:54 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And search and rescue of Ruidoso, NM won't spend so much money looking for lost Texans in the Lincoln National Forest.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Grizz] #1026438 11/10/09 04:01 PM
T
taco bender Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
remember folks, the topis says "vent". so let the guy vent, and walk about his way. but some of the comments are funny.

"Today is about playing like WE play! This day is about DOMINATING an opponent! This day is about being LSU, and taking a team by the throat, and choking the life out of them!" - Les Miles
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026448 11/10/09 04:05 PM
F
flushem_crushem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
When you have kids that play baseball, football, basketball, and soccer you sometimes don't have all the time in the world to go and show them every little detail to your land. For one I am very thankful that my son loves to go and hunt. And if i had to use tape to mark his way to his stand, well thats what i will do because he wants to be out there hunting. Really don't understand how you can justify saying that using tape to identify a trail to a stand is any different than a GPS.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026462 11/10/09 04:12 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Or do you really want the extent of your son or daughter's knowledge of how to find their way safely through the forest, to be limited to leaving bread crumbs?

I'd teach them all the ways in which to navigate themselves, including reflective tape primiarily to mark and find entry/exit points and the age-old Boone-esque use of a GPS that the oldtimers used generations ago. Apparently it's also important to teach kids and adults alike that there are intolerant closed-minded folks out there who will attempt to put them in danger in the woods because they don't approve of their methods... frown

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: taco bender] #1026463 11/10/09 04:13 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Funny posts made by some but i think he needs to vent to the friend that walked across his food plot.I guess he coulda spent more time and taught his friend the "right way".i'm just sayin.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026476 11/10/09 04:17 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If you're on public land, you don't have the right to tell anyone their business.

I plan on teaching my kids not to whine like spoiled brats, if you catch my drift.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: cameron00] #1026543 11/10/09 04:39 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My dad and I both use tape to mark our way on our own lease. Does this make us any less "wood savvy?" Taking the time to mark the path of least resistance to a handmade ground blind off the beaten trail makes me no more woodsy than the person who has a stand on the side of a trail and uses his headlights to get to their stand. Just like you using a compass to guide yourself around makes you no more woodsy than myself.

What I find funny Dan is that you are aggravated "with so many apparently becoming dependant on something to guide them with such ease,." Now I will agree that a compass is one of the more primitive ways of finding direction, however don't you think that there are some out there that would call you an idiot for having to use "something to guide you with such ease" when the sun is out all day long? Just trying to put it in perspective.

I can understand getting agitated over someone "scenting up" your area if you believe that it is a big deal (personally I don't.) Maybe you should take some time to teach your partner how to be "woods savvy" and not get irritated at him. Maybe he didn't have some one to teach him how to use a compass... Just think about it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026553 11/10/09 04:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

I'd teach them all the ways in which to navigate themselves, including reflective tape primiarily to mark and find entry/exit points and the age-old Boone-esque use of a GPS that the oldtimers used generations ago. Apparently it's also important to teach kids and adults alike that there are intolerant closed-minded folks out there who will attempt to put them in danger in the woods because they don't approve of their methods... frown

No question this reflective stickers are great for kids and beginning hunters who need something to fall back on when they're still learning to use a compass and how to pay close attention to their surroundings. It's the same point I made earlier.

I apologize for being so direct, but I see no excuse for a grown man, who has called himself a "hunter" for any length of time, to require bread crumbs to find his way to his stand.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #1026570 11/10/09 04:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
My dad and I both use tape to mark our way on our own lease. Does this make us any less "wood savvy?" Taking the time to mark the path of least resistance to a handmade ground blind off the beaten trail makes me no more woodsy than the person who has a stand on the side of a trail and uses his headlights to get to their stand. Just like you using a compass to guide yourself around makes you no more woodsy than myself.

What I find funny Dan is that you are aggravated "with so many apparently becoming dependant on something to guide them with such ease,." Now I will agree that a compass is one of the more primitive ways of finding direction, however don't you think that there are some out there that would call you an idiot for having to use "something to guide you with such ease" when the sun is out all day long? Just trying to put it in perspective.

I can understand getting agitated over someone "scenting up" your area if you believe that it is a big deal (personally I don't.) Maybe you should take some time to teach your partner how to be "woods savvy" and not get irritated at him. Maybe he didn't have some one to teach him how to use a compass... Just think about it.

A solid response no doubt.

Yes, thinking back, I should have taken the time to walk my partner over to his stand that morning and showed it to him. But that seems more like something you would have done for a youngster, not an adult.

As shown by some of the comments made here, it's seldom easy to get past the male ego so that a guy will recognize when he doesn't know how to walk 50 yards in a straight line without needing something to show him the way. So for that reason, I'll probably pick up some of these stickers and put them out for him to use the next time we hunt that area.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1026577 11/10/09 04:52 PM
T
TexasGRD Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Seems like what you have a problem with is ignorance. ( by definition - the lack of knowledge, learning, information ect...) You want to sit there and preach education but what are you really doing to make a change? Out side of your children who are you passing this vast wealth of knowledge and experiance that you have on to? Not every one that hunts was blessed with having someone with your knowledge teaching them along the way -so since you have all of this time available to properly scout your area have you ever thought that maybe you should take the time to educate others? I am sure that if you posted that you were going to teach " Navigating the Out of doors by Dan" class many of us less educated individuals would spend lots of our hard earned dollars to just catch a glimps of you in action and hope to retain even a tiny fraction on the knowledge that you have. Sure is easy to say all the right things but the challenge to you is get off your A$$ and do something about it or just shut up. There is my vent.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: TexasGRD] #1026602 11/10/09 05:00 PM
A
age n score Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn peep

I feed Indian Corn, the deer really seem to like it and stay at the feeder longer......and longer....!
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: TexasGRD] #1026606 11/10/09 05:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TexasGRD
Seems like what you have a problem with is ignorance. ( by definition - the lack of knowledge, learning, information ect...) You want to sit there and preach education but what are you really doing to make a change? Out side of your children who are you passing this vast wealth of knowledge and experiance that you have on to? Not every one that hunts was blessed with having someone with your knowledge teaching them along the way -so since you have all of this time available to properly scout your area have you ever thought that maybe you should take the time to educate others? I am sure that if you posted that you were going to teach " Navigating the Out of doors by Dan" class many of us less educated individuals would spend lots of our hard earned dollars to just catch a glimps of you in action and hope to retain even a tiny fraction on the knowledge that you have. Sure is easy to say all the right things but the challenge to you is get off your A$$ and do something about it or just shut up. There is my vent.

Many valid points.

Yes, I was blessed to have learned how to hunt with men who carried a wealth of knowledge. All of them have since left this world, and I sorely miss being able to learn more from them today. And you are also correct in saying that I often find myself intolerant of those who refuse to learn and appreciate the value of what these men taught me.

As for doing something about it, I hope this discussion has helped achieve that.

Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026609 11/10/09 05:02 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590

A solid response no doubt.

Yes, thinking back, I should have taken the time to walk my partner over to his stand that morning and showed it to him. But that seems more like something you would have done for a youngster, not an adult.

As shown by some of the comments made here, it's seldom easy to get past the male ego so that a guy will recognize when he doesn't know how to walk 50 yards in a straight line without needing something to show him the way. So for that reason, I'll probably pick up some of these stickers and put them out for him to use the next time we hunt that area.

up Glad I could get my point across.

Maybe start out with markers at every 10 yards and slowly decrease the # of markers as he gets use to the property? I know that the blind that I spoke of earlier were mainly so I could tell my friend that hadn't been to the lease to "follow the trail until you see the flags to the left" But I have used them before. It sure does get dark in them piney woods...

[Linked Image]
Re: Warning- I need to vent a little [Re: Texas Dan] #1026615 11/10/09 05:04 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I see no excuse for a grown man, who has called himself a "hunter" for any length of time, to require bread crumbs to find his way to his stand.

And I see no excuse for a grown man (or anyone for that matter) who calls himself a hunter for any length of time to intentionally create potential dangers for other hunters that could result in someone getting hurt or worse just because they don't agree with or approve of their chosen method of navigation.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide