D
deerfeeder Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I did not write the story. Info only, not medical advice

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...risk-of-heart-attack-stroke-study-finds/

Last edited by deerfeeder; 03/11/24 04:36 PM.
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018025 03/11/24 05:01 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
"Adults who used marijuana daily had 25% higher odds of having a heart attack and 42% higher odds of stroke than people who didn't use it at all."

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018032 03/11/24 05:13 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Guess I better start taking applications for pallbearers.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: NORML as can be] #9018046 03/11/24 05:33 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Guess I better start taking applications for pallbearers.

I figured you were jerked by now and would be propped up at the entrance to a vape shop like a cigar store indian roflmao

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018052 03/11/24 06:01 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I once took a puff off of weed. Probably 40 years ago Told myself to go no further and haven’t gone back. I have an addictive personality and worried about the next step.

But I smoked cigarettes for about 40+ years. Like most, I quit multiple times but always went back. They kept calling to me. Then, about 15 years ago I decided that I didn’t want to do it anymore. No withdrawal problems.

I kept the breweries working overtime and then a couple of years ago, I realized that the Budweiser in my refrigerator had been there for a couple of years. No desire for it.

Hope I don’t get an aversion to margaritas.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018060 03/11/24 06:41 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Like my old buddy used to say.."are ya doin' it more but enjoyin' it less??"

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018087 03/11/24 07:35 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Is this any shocker? Putting stuff into your body like smoke is not good for you. Despite all the supposed medicinal benefits of cbd, this result shows any benefit is outweighed by putting toxins in your system long term.

Would be interested in a similar look at long term smoking cigarettes and marijuana head to head.

While there is no head to head analysis i have seen, there is a meta-analysis of many studies that looked at stroke risk and found the increased risk from cigarette smoking increased by number of cigarettes smoked per day and a 45% increase was seen at around 15 smokes a day. They found a similar 45% increase in people exposed to regular passive cigarette smoke compared to those who were not exposed.

For heart attacks, the rate is much higher with cigarettes, around a 60% increase up to 100% and higher depending on amount of cigarettes smoked and gender.

Will be interesting to see of more data comes out about marijuana use and deleterious health effects. We will see more of this as more states pass recreational use laws.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 03/11/24 07:41 PM.
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018098 03/11/24 07:59 PM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
edibles are where it's at.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: bigbob_ftw] #9018103 03/11/24 08:25 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Edibles are increasingly being associated with psychotic breaks. Look it up. Not a huge increase, but most of the really crazy stuff peoplle do when on “weed” is due to edibles.

Not the best use of brain cells

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018106 03/11/24 08:33 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Today's weed as explained to me:

I have a buddy, that took a hit off of a vape pipe. He had done it previously, like a few times in college prolly 40 years ago. All his adult sons do it, so he finally gave in after they were giving him crap about drinking so much but coming down on them for using marijuana.

He didn't feel a thing for a few minutes, as they were all sitting around the backyard cooking ribs. He asks his son about the rabbit that was sitting along the fence, it hadn't moved in several minutes. His son asked, "Dad, are you talking about that volleyball the kids left right there?". He swore it was a rabbit.

He tells me that he had never been so high in his life when he had smoked weed all those years ago. The stuff today, apparently you don't have to "smoke" a lot of it. I'm wondering if this study is accurate considering how it is ingested in the relative small quantities that it is.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: Texas buckeye] #9018113 03/11/24 09:10 PM
bigbob_ftw Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Edibles are increasingly being associated with psychotic breaks. Look it up. Not a huge increase, but most of the really crazy stuff peoplle do when on “weed” is due to edibles.

Those people would be that way with or without the pot.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018116 03/11/24 09:14 PM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
rofl

Unfortunately, I have a fast metabolism and edibles don't work on me. Have eaten hundreds of milligrams at a time and get nothing but a full belly.

It's funny to read all these stories, but if you don't smoke you'll have a very low tolerance and if you do partake then joints are like cigarettes. Best thing The China Flu did was kill Puff Puff Pass.

_=====___=________==-

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018123 03/11/24 09:30 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Only weak minded people have to get high or drunk. There, I said it popcorn

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018128 03/11/24 09:34 PM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I don't have to I just prefer the latter.

_=====___=________==-

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: ntxtrapper] #9018132 03/11/24 09:45 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I wouldn’t say they’re weak minded, the smartest most successful man I know smokes weed regularly and I’d smoke that chit all day everyday if I was as smart as him. “However” since I’m not a genius or have his abilities I’ll stick to one or two beers while grilling outdoors and call it good roflmao I need all the brain cells I can get roflmao

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: Ol Thumper] #9018139 03/11/24 10:07 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I wouldn’t say they’re weak minded, the smartest most successful man I know smokes weed regularly and I’d smoke that chit all day everyday if I was as smart as him. “However” since I’m not a genius or have his abilities I’ll stick to one or two beers while grilling outdoors and call it good roflmao I need all the brain cells I can get roflmao

“Well you see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.“

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018142 03/11/24 10:12 PM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I gave up drinking years ago I did dumb $h!t when I was drunk.

_=====___=________==-

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: NORML as can be] #9018192 03/11/24 11:23 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
A friend of mine said he doesn't drink, because he's not very good at it.

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: bigbob_ftw] #9018211 03/12/24 12:14 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Those people would be that way with or without the pot.

No, you are wrong there. There have been cases of loving parents in CO who kill their kid while on a psychotic break due to edibles. There are stories out there of all kinds of crazy happening from edibles.

What you posted is like saying someone would kill while driving if they were drunk or not…its a very weak argument and quite lazy. You are better than that.

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018216 03/12/24 12:38 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I don't care one whit about the good/bad for you bit. Making weed illegal was plumb stupid and may be one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. They created a black market that has grown into, and enriched the cartel that threatens this country today.

We didn't learn a damned thing from the Volstead Act and Prohibition.

But, then again...if I had a good line on some commodity and buyers lined up, I might consider lobbying to make it illegal---whatever it might be. I could make a freekin killing!

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: RiverRider] #9018252 03/12/24 02:04 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I don't care one whit about the good/bad for you bit. Making weed illegal was plumb stupid and may be one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. They created a black market that has grown into, and enriched the cartel that threatens this country today.

But, then again...if I had a good line on some commodity and buyers lined up, I might consider lobbying to make it illegal---whatever it might be. I could make a freekin killing!

Yeah, people are weak. We should just make everything legal.

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: Texas buckeye] #9018276 03/12/24 04:07 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I believe there's no control with edibles, no standards, no quality control?

Never did like the way marijuana made me feel the few times I tried it for fun in college. Much later in life, in my 50s I tried a smoking actual weed one hitter recommended by someone trusted for muscle spasms. Couple of days of that worked much better than 2 or 3 months of groggy feeling prescription muscle relaxers. Did not like the short high but it was much better than feeling groggy 24 hours a day. Didn't seem to sleep quite as well either on muscle relaxers.

Certain particular Colorado edibles have helped my wife relax to sleep instead of a hypnotic but we discovered only a small amount like 1/16 of an edible was needed every few days. Likewise just a few small, minor doses of an edible ended the onset of days of muscle spasms. The dosage was small enough not feel a marijuana high.

Placebo? Who knows?

As a person of science I believe there is something to marijuana which needs to be investigated further for medicinal use based on clinical research. I'm referring to the composition of marijuana and not just some scrip to get people stoned.

God knows there has been plenty of interest in the poppy over the years. We will definitely be restocking in Colorado this summer.

To be determined
Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: RiverRider] #9018282 03/12/24 04:26 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I have heard people will pay for big money for big bucks, and poaching is illegal…so why don’t you set up some sort of
Poaching ring and ravage south texas and its high fences….certainly a big deer is just a commodity right?

We didn’t screw up by making something illegal, we screwed up in enforcement of those laws and the justice system is really a three tier system in the US…top tier, laws don’t matter as those people don’t even get prosecuted (get out of jail free card), second tier is the people who can afford good attorneys and get out their crimes (pay 200 to get put of jail), and third tier are the vast majority who can not afford good attorneys or have to use court appointed counsel and they are the ones who suffer (go straight to jail, do not pass GO). Much like the tax code, our justice system needs serious serious reform/re-writing. Good luck getting that done.

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: deerfeeder] #9018284 03/12/24 04:43 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Getting caught with weed in DFW is different than getting caught with weed here. Drugs are the driving force behind what little crime exists here so this is not the place for a doper of any kind. THC extracts will get a person 10 years in prison at the drop of a gavel. Even misdemeanor weed cases will get a person quite a stay in jail.

Re: Heart attacks and weed [Re: ntxtrapper] #9018286 03/12/24 05:10 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Getting caught with weed in DFW is different than getting caught with weed here. Drugs are the driving force behind what little crime exists here so this is not the place for a doper of any kind. THC extracts will get a person 10 years in prison at the drop of a gavel. Even misdemeanor weed cases will get a person quite a stay in jail.

Very fascinating, but understandable it has not yet been dealt with at the federal level yet. It’s a bit like the elephant in the room. I can’t recall anything like this in history of the USA and individual states. Does anyone know of anything similar?

For example, buy a marijuana product legally in one state, cross the state line, and get 10 years in prison if caught. Has anything like that ever existed in history?

To be determined
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide