Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Any arbor press seating die supporters here? #9015911 03/06/24 11:09 PM
DustyArmadillo Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Been eyeballing the Wilson arbor press seating die (with the micrometer)

Wondering if it’s worth the $250 ish dollars to completely change my seating process.

Yay? Nay?

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016001 03/07/24 01:20 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
It's one way to solve the OAL inconsistencies of some dies. Redding or Whidden micro is another...surprisingly so the Hornady micro top runs right close to those two.

Wilson chamber dies are the answer though...if ultimate consistency and reloading is the answer. Plus, you can take a cheap arbor press to the range to do seating depth tests. I'm a big fan but I'm not using it 100% of the time any longer.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016102 03/07/24 04:47 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'll bet a buck that Judd would also agree that it also depends on what rifle it is you're loading for. That die may be way overkill for your application. But, if you want the highest level of seating precision just for its own sake, then why the heck not?

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016234 03/07/24 03:02 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Don't take that bet wink

RR is spot on.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016253 03/07/24 03:41 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
So one thing that annoys me the MOST during reloading is truly not getting super consistent seating depths across a whole 50-200 round session. I just got me a forster press and a fancy Redding die. It did better but for sure i can't simply seat and assume they are all within +/-0.001, or really i woul dlike 0.0005. For the F-class match i recently shot, i was SUPER meticulous about seating. about 70% was within the 0.0005", about 25% was between +/-0.001 to 0.003" (with most seated too long) and finally about 5% that was really off. Do these arbor presses do better, especially the basic press without the pressure guage? Btw, i do not pack my cases, usually below published maxes.

I'd really love to seat 100+ rounds and feel confident that they are +/-0.001" (or really 0.0005"). My current set up does not.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016279 03/07/24 04:26 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
It will do what you are asking in my experience...I have over a dzn different seaters I've used.

One thing worth mentioning...your caliper isn't accurate to .000X, they should really just remove that number completely...but I get your point and you aren't as much looking for a specific number as you are consistency to that number. The next level of analness (not sure that's a word) is a 21st Century hydraulic or K&M with a force pack arbor press (AMP also has a computerized version now that I have no experience with but know that some of the top Fclass open guys are using)...then you will see how consistent your necks are. Careful KR...you are dipping your toes into a very deep pool wink

When I was shooting benchrest I did a bunch of testing around this and let's just say I would "sort" my loaded rounds by what the seater told me seating force was...in truth, what it measures is neck tension.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016318 03/07/24 05:35 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I like mine but agree its over thinking for many of us. A Redding Competition seater with the correct seater plug is just fine for 99% of us.

[Linked Image]

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: Judd] #9016584 03/08/24 03:34 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Judd
It will do what you are asking in my experience...I have over a dzn different seaters I've used.

One thing worth mentioning...your caliper isn't accurate to .000X, they should really just remove that number completely...but I get your point and you aren't as much looking for a specific number as you are consistency to that number. The next level of analness (not sure that's a word) is a 21st Century hydraulic or K&M with a force pack arbor press (AMP also has a computerized version now that I have no experience with but know that some of the top Fclass open guys are using)...then you will see how consistent your necks are. Careful KR...you are dipping your toes into a very deep pool wink

When I was shooting benchrest I did a bunch of testing around this and let's just say I would "sort" my loaded rounds by what the seater told me seating force was...in truth, what it measures is neck tension.

HOLY CHIT, Judd! You're the first person here that ever posted a comment about what neck tension actually IS (at least that I have seen).

My brutha!

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016633 03/08/24 11:26 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I do something similar but not near as sophisticated when seating. I shorten the handle on my press as far as it will go giving me less leverage. I had a What was that moment just this week. That one got moved to the fouling pile.

In my case this speaks more to my need for better brass prep than my need for better equipment.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: RiverRider] #9016714 03/08/24 02:51 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider

HOLY CHIT, Judd! You're the first person here that ever posted a comment about what neck tension actually IS (at least that I have seen).

My brutha!

[Linked Image]

It's been touched on before. I remember because one person said there wasn't a way to measure it...don't know who it was and it doesn't matter, I just remember the conversation.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: wp75169] #9016722 03/08/24 02:59 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Originally Posted by wp75169
I do something similar but not near as sophisticated when seating. I shorten the handle on my press as far as it will go giving me less leverage. I had a What was that moment just this week. That one got moved to the fouling pile.

In my case this speaks more to my need for better brass prep than my need for better equipment.

That's about where I'm at, myself.

I just go by feel while seating, and since I don't shoot anything fancy at all I don't think there's anything to be gained by getting any fancier. Keeping case necks annealed does seem to help keep a pretty consistent feel when seating, and I do not buy cheap brass anymore. I do use quite a bit of Starline brass and it is less expensive, but I do not consider it to be cheap. It may not be as good as Lapua or Norma, but I think it is probably on par with Nosler---at least for MY uses.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: Judd] #9016725 03/08/24 03:06 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

It's been touched on before. I remember because one person said there wasn't a way to measure it...don't know who it was and it doesn't matter, I just remember the conversation.

I may have been that person. And it's TRUE, generally speaking. For certain, saying "I'm using 0.003" neck tension" is just poor use of language that any engineer should regard as incorrect. Tension is a very specific thing that cannot be expressed as a linear measurement. The best measurement WE can make is just what you've stated---force required to seat the bullet. Even that is not a measurement of tension, but it's a pretty fair approximation and will work for our purposes.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016739 03/08/24 03:23 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
[Linked Image]

This is the answer. How deep do you want to dig?

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9016752 03/08/24 03:41 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Judd,
For the record, I believe analness is a word. This stupid spell checker don't know nothing.
I am trying to dip and then slowly enter the pool over the next several decades. It is a fascinating process with endless different avenues to apply my analness. I want to try a variety of other different kinds of rifle shooting eventually. But I'm sure that a part of me will always come back to f-class just for testing pure accuracy.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: wp75169] #9016782 03/08/24 04:45 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
[Linked Image]

I see no term for tension (it ain't in there).

BHN or ductility of the case neck does have a place in determining the net amount of tension, though.

If you're trying to say that tension can be expressed as a linear dimension or measurement you're missing the point.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: RiverRider] #9016786 03/08/24 05:02 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

I may have been that person. And it's TRUE, generally speaking. For certain, saying "I'm using 0.003" neck tension" is just poor use of language that any engineer should regard as incorrect. Tension is a very specific thing that cannot be expressed as a linear measurement. The best measurement WE can make is just what you've stated---force required to seat the bullet. Even that is not a measurement of tension, but it's a pretty fair approximation and will work for our purposes.

Now that's funny...see I told you I didn't know who it was and it didn't matter.

The .003 example is somewhat the "reloaders" glossary of terms and I get what they are saying but also see your point. .001 will definitely have less neck tension than a .003 on a resized neck...but that's not a unit of measurement for "tension". However, it's about the closest we have besides seating force.

KRedneck...I suspected you would understand that term wink. I never got into the short range br and I never got into fclass...I never liked shooting paper in competitions is the only reason why. If I was going to do a paper game it would've very likely been a varmint for score (VFS)...not sure why that game appealed to me but it has, just never thrown my rifle in that ring. The benchrest games that included clays, poker chips, steel just tickled my itch more so than the paper stuff and I really liked the 400-600y area the most.

Last edited by Judd; 03/08/24 05:03 PM.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: Judd] #9016807 03/08/24 05:58 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
...your caliper isn't accurate to .000X, they should really just remove that number completely...

I've read this many times across many sites. I see the .000x and battle ignoring it entirely or using it to round up or down to .00x. What should I do? Or maybe it doesn't matter either way. I suppose you'll say entirely ignore it. No joke, I've thought about covering it with tape.

...21st Century hydraulic or K&M with a force pack arbor press (AMP also has a computerized version...

You know my extreme nerdism and obsession with collecting data is battling with not buying the Amp setup that I 100% do not need.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: Judd] #9016813 03/08/24 06:05 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

The .003 example is somewhat the "reloaders" glossary of terms and I get what they are saying but also see your point. .001 will definitely have less neck tension than a .003 on a resized neck...but that's not a unit of measurement for "tension". However, it's about the closest we have besides seating force.

I believe you're precisely correct. If there was some kind of measurement (other than seating force) that took 'before' and 'after' diameters AND case neck condition into account we'd have something, but seating force is probably the best measurement we'll ever have available. Before & after diameters are perfect IF you know the case neck ductility and I'm not sure there's a practical way to measure that.

Maybe the only practical way to quantify ductility would be to use seating force measurements and before-n-after diameters to derive it.

I might be too much of a stickler about things like this, but in my field precision in language was essential. I don't always get it right myself, but I do try.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: Mickey Moose] #9016833 03/08/24 06:34 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
...your caliper isn't accurate to .000X, they should really just remove that number completely...

I've read this many times across many sites. I see the .000x and battle ignoring it entirely or using it to round up or down to .00x. What should I do? Or maybe it doesn't matter either way. I suppose you'll say entirely ignore it. No joke, I've thought about covering it with tape.

...21st Century hydraulic or K&M with a force pack arbor press (AMP also has a computerized version...

You know my extreme nerdism and obsession with collecting data is battling with not buying the Amp setup that I 100% do not need.

I don't even see it until someone here posts something about a measurement they took that way. It takes a micrometer to get to that level of precision.

I have both the 21st and the K&M...we're so close you are more than welcome to test drive those before going the AMP route. I would venture to say if I was still playing the game, I'd have the amp. As River mentioned...on my hunting guns (which I what I'm loading for now) I don't believe I could shoot the difference in neck tension like I could out of a br rig.

100% correct RR.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: RiverRider] #9016900 03/08/24 09:36 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
[Linked Image]

BHN or ductility of the case neck does have a place in determining the net amount of tension, though.

If you're trying to say that tension can be expressed as a linear dimension or measurement you're missing the point.

I’m saying that if you can’t control this then you can’t control any of it. This is the first step.

Re: Any arbor press seating die supporters here? [Re: wp75169] #9017041 03/09/24 04:03 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
[Linked Image]

I’m saying that if you can’t control this then you can’t control any of it. This is the first step.

Aahhh...gotcha. Probably the most effective step you can take, too.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide