Forums46
Topics538,477
Posts9,737,522
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #8791395 01/30/23 05:56 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
The Hammer will work on a vertical tube style feeder. I've used it on 55 gal barrel feeders and larger 1000 lb feeders.

Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: reeder05] #8794569 02/03/23 03:40 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by reeder05
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Thanks,

I've searched timed protein mech's online and came up with a few. Nothing specifically designed that would readily retrofit onto a simple 55gal setup with vertical tube and feed head like I (and so many others have) built, but at least one I think I could adapt. Honestly, I think I could build the 4 we need for a third of the price as I could by those that I'd still have to spend time modifying. And, understandably, nobody gives up the secret of their internal mechanics without buying one so I'm not 100% confident that any of them would work like I have it figured in my alleged brain.

We are free choice now, just need a way to control feed amounts and timing so I can do some experimenting.

There was a guy on here selling "The Hammer Feeding System". Google search will bring up their website.

I haven't owned one, but they seem to have good reviews.

I buy krivoman feeders that use the Hammer timers. Been using them for 8 yrs or so. You can set the timer to stay open all the time or however you want. I have mine set to open at 6 in the morning & close at 6 in the evening. The deer can eat all they want all day long. Coons etc don't clean me out at night.

Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DUKFVR] #8795008 02/04/23 03:44 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Originally Posted by reeder05
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Thanks,

I've searched timed protein mech's online and came up with a few. Nothing specifically designed that would readily retrofit onto a simple 55gal setup with vertical tube and feed head like I (and so many others have) built, but at least one I think I could adapt. Honestly, I think I could build the 4 we need for a third of the price as I could by those that I'd still have to spend time modifying. And, understandably, nobody gives up the secret of their internal mechanics without buying one so I'm not 100% confident that any of them would work like I have it figured in my alleged brain.

We are free choice now, just need a way to control feed amounts and timing so I can do some experimenting.

There was a guy on here selling "The Hammer Feeding System". Google search will bring up their website.

I haven't owned one, but they seem to have good reviews.

I buy krivoman feeders that use the Hammer timers. Been using them for 8 yrs or so. You can set the timer to stay open all the time or however you want. I have mine set to open at 6 in the morning & close at 6 in the evening. The deer can eat all they want all day long. Coons etc don't clean me out at night.

Pretty smart! up

[Linked Image]
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #8797335 02/08/23 12:00 AM
W
Warren and Kim Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have been very pleased with this feeder. Holds 1000 pounds. Easy to fill. Was easy to transition from corn to protein.
I was worried about antlers possibly being damaged but haven’t had any damage at all.
I turned the timer down a little at a time until the feed trough was just almost cleaned out.
The timer included wasn’t the best so I did swap them out.
The deer here never had anything but corn during hunting season. I started with the protein mid way through last summer after antlers had started growing and there was a dramatic increase over last year.
The axis are really getting big. They are going to be huge.
We have a very good high fence that has kept hogs out. That might be an issue any where they might be. Also don’t have any livestock to worry about.

I also keep these blocks. Started with 8 a week. They got eaten in a couple days. I just put them out Friday after work.Now after some time the deer are not eating them as fast and I put out 4 weekly.

I also keep freshwater by the blocks.

Last edited by Warren and Kim; 02/08/23 12:05 AM. Reason: Forgot about the blocks
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: stxranchman] #9009330 02/22/24 03:51 AM
C
Chafro Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have fed protein free choice or in timed feeders since 1990. Feeding deer free choice can get expensive but it does not make them nocturnal. They are nocturnal due them not living on your place. They are having to travel to far to get to you feeder in the daylight mainly. Timed trough style feeders have their place and you can feed to your budget. I feed year round no matter what style feeder I use. Right now I have 4-600# All Season timed trough feeders in pens. From mid Jan. till late August I feed from 2-4 times per day and only feed at night. Deer, bucks especially, are much more comfortable feeding at night. This time of the year they have been pressured and will readily feed at night. In the heat of the summer it makes no sense to try to get a mature buck in a feed pen when it is still 100° at sundown. IME I have found that bucks feed most (free choice) from 11pm till 4am. I feed with my timed feeders from right at or just after dark. Then again after midnight and finally about 30 minutes to 45 minutes before daylight. By doing this I have found I mainly feed bucks and they are who I am targeting. Does still come in but not as often...some pens I never see a doe at a protein feeder. When Sept 1st hits I change my times for protein to 15 minutes after daylight in the mornings and then sundown in the evenings. I have no trouble seeing bucks when doing this. The longer you do the same routine the more bucks you raise on the feeder routine...the better your hunting gets. Especially in archery season. I still corn feed year round just not very much from late Feb till late August and mainly at dark or daylight. I then spin corn 4 times per day in hunting season and lots of it. So I have a feeder going off 3 times in the mornings and 3 times in the evenings all at different times at all locations. Protein is great for growing bucks but also great as an attractant. I do hunt my feeders but never shoot a deer inside a feeder pen. That is what a road feeder is for.

Getting some of these 600s. How many seconds a day do you usually set them on?

ASF page say it drops 12 LBS im 10 seconds. But I believe that is measured with corn.

Last edited by Chafro; 02/22/24 03:54 AM.
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9009355 02/22/24 11:29 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
6 seconds, about 30 minutes after sun up. Coons won't hit it as hard if at all when it dumps at this time. I only use it as an attractant starting about September 1.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9009357 02/22/24 11:50 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have one protein feeder that the deer don’t mess with much. I have 5 corn feeders that they hit but they have to beat the hogs there. Coons are a real problem.

I have game cam photos of coons tearing up my corn feeders. The only one they can’t get to is a winch up one. The most interesting pic is of a 4 inch pipe feeder that I built. There 11 coons in the pic around or on the pipe. I used a hammer to put on the top. Some damn how, they got the top off that I used a hammer to pound it on.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9009833 02/23/24 02:47 AM
D
Daniel Boone Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
I would like to go to either the ASF or Lamco timed protein feeders at some point but was wondering what everybody's thoughts are on throwing roasted soybeans out of my Lamco corn feeder. Will this attract the bucks anymore than just throwing corn and is there any nutritional benefit from the soybeans?

Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9009926 02/23/24 12:48 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I used roasted soybeans for 20 bags as a trial....Yes the deer ate it as I threw it in my pen on the ground. However, I can't say the deer preferred the soybeans more or not. The roasted soy beans cost $23.00 a bag but I got them for $17.00 each. Since the soybeans were around 24% protein you could feed them a smaller amount and get more benefit than corn. For the price, I could feed more corn cheaper, so I just went back to corn after running out of soybeans. I also tried just soybeans, not roasted, and the deer ate it just as much..so I don't know how much difference it made and I don't know why soybeans are roasted. I normally put out only corn and very little protein using "Golden Nuggets" ever so often but never all the time. So, bottom line is if you are using roasted soybeans for a trial you may have to use it for a year or two to be able to judge it for yourself. But again, I can't say they prefer soybeans over corn. Some of the hunters plant soybean patches, fenced off.

Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9009943 02/23/24 01:20 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Normally, I have three feeders inside of my pen. I feed corn at a rate of 20 seconds each which will equal around 6.8lb.s for a total of 20.4 lb.s per feeding ...twice per day and some around midnight(10 seconds or so for two feeders)year around.

Re: Protein Feeders - Free Choice gravity vs Electronic Timed [Re: DQ Kid] #9010145 02/23/24 06:40 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
If you are using the protien as an attractant like corn feeders. Then go timed. If you are trying to supplement their food with higher protein and nutrition for healthier deer and bigger atler growth then go free feed. I personally free feed from February through September protien and spin cast corn/roasted soy bean mix at the same set time year around for attractantion at hunting times. It's not cheap, but works for me and the deer. Since doing that I seen healthy deer and more twin fawn births. That is just my experience.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide