Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it #9001582 02/07/24 10:32 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Retiring(it’s for sale) my 99 Chevy 3500(240000 miles) and converting my just bought 2002 GMC 1500HD(157000 miles) to my new hunting/lease work truck.
***I’m wanting some feedback on toolboxes.***
I’ve already got a bed rail/headache rack to put on. Then the overhead rack with raising pole will transfer from the old to the new along with winch system, front bumper, road feeder, tires/wheels and everything else thats not tied down.
I just bought from a forum member a used high end low profile toolbox with drawers that goes in the bed with drawers that slide out.

—-My QUESTION is the other tool boxes. Brute makes some unique tool boxes that I haven’t seen before. I’m wondering if y’all know anything about them or any similar.
One for each side that has a compartment you access from top but the key is a drawer system that you pull out the back,
Another one goes across the bed behind the cab that has drawers that come out either side.
All of these boxes are different from a “regular” truck box cause stuffs not all on top of each other so everything is accessible. No one seems to have them in stock so I can see them in person.
IM WANTING FEEDBACK ON THESE TYPE BOXES WITH DRAWERS.
With any luck I’ll update as the conversion takes place.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by freerange; 02/07/24 10:45 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9001586 02/07/24 10:37 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This is the other thread I had in OT section that I used for advice on buying the 2002 GMC. It offers background on how and why I got to this point.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...002-gmc-3-4-ton-4x4-any-good#Post8991101

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9003207 02/10/24 04:06 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I didn’t figure this thread would get a lot of action but zero in 3 days is pretty bad. I assume this section of forum doesn’t get looked at much.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9003215 02/10/24 04:12 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We were in heavier truck equipment, so we didn't do much in the way of toolboxes. Aluminum is neat when new, but the welds don't hold like steel and the aluminum is gonna oxidize on you. With any box, dust will be your enemy and you're gonna have to keep the slides lubed with lithium spray; that gets messy too. As far as simple, steel, Texas-made boxes, I always went with Rawson-Koenig, now RK. But, I know Tom Rawson personally, so I'm obviously biased.

You've fine-tuned your rig over the years. I'm sure you're gonna figure out what works best. up

Last edited by Creekrunner; 02/10/24 04:13 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9003484 02/11/24 12:09 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Aluminum boxes won’t hold up to heavy use, Creek has given the correct information.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9003513 02/11/24 12:47 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Creek, very good info. Appreciate you spelling that out. I have a lot of tools but I really wouldnt classify my use as heavy. It’s very part time use, so not sure how that would factor in.
I really do like the apparent efficiency and convenience of those drawers…….

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: 68rustbucket] #9005008 02/13/24 05:03 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Aluminum boxes won’t hold up to heavy use, Creek has given the correct information.

68, and Creek, thanks for yalls opinions on aluminum "not holding up to heavy use". My thoughts about tool boxes was more about the design than aluminum vs metal, so now yall got me wondering. After thinking about my use, I really dont think it would be classified as "heavy use" at all as compared to a regular construction type work truck. Compared to a "normal" hunting lease truck I use it a lot but its not like a work truck that is used every day of the year. Yes, the weight of the tools is in the boxes all the time but Im not opening those boxes and slamming tools in them numerous times a day every day. Im in that truck on the lease a little over 100 days a year and about half that is hunting and not work.
I have no problem with metal but I dont see where anyone makes them in the design I like. I guess Im still leaning towards the boxes I showed above but Im hoping I can get more feedback. Not getting much action on the thread so Im totally fine making decisions without more feedback. Im just surprised Im not hearing more from all the macho hardworking guys on here about a topic like this.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9005056 02/13/24 06:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
finding what features you want is the first big hurdle, then finding one in stock is the next.

I like the full bed with drawers style but I use a gooseneck too often to even consider that type. as a lease truck, you might not have that issue. I would also be a bit concerned with moisture proof, or blood wicking down into the tool compartments. they may be sealed against that though?

all three of those you listed above, I like them all for various reasons.

I have a several different tool boxes in my truck for various things. I have a large chest type across the bed that I've had in my last 4 trucks. It's the catch all with larger tools, jumper cables, various lubricants, tape, boomers, tarps, etc.. sets on the truck bed and lid is a little higher than the bed rails.

I have a side mount over the fender that has straps, ropes, etc.

then I have a 5 drawer mounted on the bed floor over to the side that has a wide variety of hand tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. This design is great the but roller tracks are the weak link.
Like This

even though you say you won't be using heavily, I have found out over the miles of both highway and offroad use, the hinges and slides/roller tracks just don't last. there is a lot of bouncing and vibration that just wears on things.

Last edited by PMK; 02/13/24 06:40 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9006040 02/15/24 04:54 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
PMK, very informative comments. Its obvious you were paying attention and I appreciate that.
I got a good deal on a used box(from trusted forum member) that fits in the bed and drawers slide out the back. It was a real high end model when it was new and Im confident it will be good. No gooseneck for me so good there.
I like some things about the 5 drawer you have but I dont think it works for my use.
Real good comments on the hinges/slides/rollers wearing out with my type use and that has been my main concern.
Thanks again for the good feedback.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9006528 02/16/24 02:26 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
FR, I have the Decked system in my Ford Tremor and absolutely love it. I use it daily between my farm, work and ,my deer leases. It says that it has a heavy load capacity on top all, but I hav never had more than about 1/2 ton on it. It's very convenient to keep from climbing in and out of the bed all the time does a really good job of keeping dust and rain off the tools as well.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: huntingbig8] #9007111 02/17/24 04:15 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by huntingbig8
FR, I have the Decked system in my Ford Tremor and absolutely love it. I use it daily between my farm, work and ,my deer leases. It says that it has a heavy load capacity on top all, but I hav never had more than about 1/2 ton on it. It's very convenient to keep from climbing in and out of the bed all the time does a really good job of keeping dust and rain off the tools as well.

Big8, thanks for the comment on the decked type system. I have already bought a similar system like Decked thats made by TruckVault but its not in my truck yet. I got a good deal on a used one from a trusted forum member. Ive heard good stuff on the Decked. The TruckVault is way way more expensive(when new) so we will see.
Its supposed to carry a lot of weight on top but I wont ever have much on it. The convenience Im anticipating will be enjoyed by me.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9010636 02/24/24 04:03 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I got my toolboxes in. The design makes them very efficient to be able to get to everything without stacking stuff on top of one another. The side boxes aren’t huge but are much bigger than most side boxes you see and we will wait and see what other box I may need across back of cab. The side boxes will sit further out on the bottom box than pic shows. I will find out if they are heavy duty enough. The black box sits in bed and drawers pull out and holds a lot.
The old and new hunting trucks are both at fabricator along with boxes so ready for the conversion to start.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9010792 02/24/24 11:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Looking good! I can only imagine seeing what all is in your toolboxes! You could probably build a house with what is in them - chicken

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9023351 03/22/24 10:20 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Little progress report on the conversion.
The headache rack and bed rail had to be cut down and it is on now. There are supports that go to the bed to keep weight off the bed rail itself.
The truck vault drawer boxes are in the bed and good to go.
The two side boxes are in place but not attached yet. A used box across back is just laying there and jury out if that’s one I’ll use.
Next step is to cut big overhead rack off old truck. It won’t fit exactly but my guy can make anything work.
More to go after that but it’s made a big first step.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9023842 03/24/24 12:10 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
up

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9028908 04/04/24 12:16 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Another progress update.
Got the big rack off the old truck along with the winch.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

May be hard to see but supports for the bed rail in each corner.
Old stock bumper off new truck and he’s started to beef up a way to attach winch up under out of way of trailer hitch that will also attach to the new “bumper”/frame.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031269 04/09/24 12:29 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Another progress report.
Got the big rack off the old and onto the new. Not an exact fit but he made it work.
Built up some heavy stuff off the frame to attach the winch and trailer hitch to. I love the way the winch is recessed back outa the way yet still functions there or just pull a pin and it slides out. Had to lower the hitch a little to make room.
Home made bumper to come.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031375 04/09/24 11:39 AM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would be interested to see how you did the electrical disconnect on the winch. I have one I want to add to my RTV on a receiver mount so I can switch between front and rear when needed.

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: PMK] #9031431 04/09/24 02:09 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PMK
I would be interested to see how you did the electrical disconnect on the winch. I have one I want to add to my RTV on a receiver mount so I can switch between front and rear when needed.

You can see it in the last pic.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031455 04/09/24 03:02 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
kinda, sorta ... I am guessing that there is a pre-wired harness that pigtail coming off the winch connects to ... wondering how difficult it would be to have 2 harnesses (front & rear) wired in to the vehicle. does it go directly to the battery or thru a switch? where to buy the switch or how heavy duty.

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031461 04/09/24 03:24 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Kinda sorta for me too. I don’t do stuff like this myself but I think it’s real basic. One of those connectors is wired coming off winch. Just connect the other connector to it and those wires run up to battery.
Do the same thing again at the front if you want to hook up either way. “As far as I know” both sets of wires hook to the battery without a switch.
I also have a nifty wiring hookup in case I need a winch on truck without wiring. You can also use it on a winch without a truck and just a loose battery. It’s just like battery cables on one end and the winch connector on another. I guess you could use it all the time and not have wiring wired in. You can also jump start a car from the winch connector and not direct to batttery.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031494 04/09/24 05:00 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
up thanks! I guess there is a switch or remote associated with the winch to operate?

how heavy (gauge) wire was used on your harness?

~PMK~
Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9031512 04/09/24 05:34 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Not sure the gauge. I’m sure it’s pretty standard per the size of the winch and Google would be your friend.
The ones I’ve seen come with about a 10’ cord that plugs into winch and it has a forward and reverse toggle switch.
I HIGHLY recommend a “remote” that will allow you to get further away when needed.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9033572 04/13/24 03:15 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Almost finished. Doesn’t seem like many are interested in my project but I like having a record of what’s been done so I’ll keep posting.
The front “bumper” my guy made from scratch. Road feeder(or winch) will go in receiver hitch and wiring for both to come. The two compartments to either side can hold various things but I will usually have a bag of corn in each to replenish the road feeder. I really like the hollow bumper with the little hinged door that I can put tposts in. The tray type compartment across the middle will likely hold chains or misc stuff.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next just shows the rear bumper. He made that from scratch. It doesn’t go all the way across cause the winch has to be able to come out if moved to front. What’s not shown is some elaborate beefed up stuff that attaches to the frame and is what the bumper and the winch and trailer hitch assembly is all mounted to. I think it’s genius how he designed the winch to be recessed out of way while allowing use of it and trailer hitch. It’ll be nice to have a bumper I can stand on in back and partial side.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

About all the next pics shows that I haven’t already talked about is the water jug. It’s higher than in my old truck so I can almost take a shower under it. Also shows the pvc kinda thingy that I’ll put long stuff in like pry bars etc. And the cradle/hook things along side of rack I will always have a collapsible tripod laying in.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next is just the ladder. One on each side to be able to get up on top. Extra wide step at bottom to easily stand on to get stuff outa tool box across back. That box sits higher cause of the in bed low profile box all way across bottom of bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last, for now, is just a couple covey holes to put whatever long skinny stuff I have like rebar or pvc etc. Just utilizing otherwise dead space created by a gap between bottom of side boxes and bed rail. Even has a little hinged door to keep stuff in. I guess I ran outa room so gotta click on link to see last pic.
[Linked Image]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...93bd507_0a95_4415_8422_cad91bccbb5a.jpeg[/img]

Last edited by freerange; 04/13/24 03:26 PM.

Re: Hunting/lease work truck-outfitting it [Re: freerange] #9033606 04/13/24 05:17 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I like this a lot, looking great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide