Print Thread
Camo Clothing Rec #8937031 10/17/23 12:49 AM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Got myself back into bow hunting whitetail and looking to gear up for future elk & muley action. Everything seems so specialized when it comes to pattern and temp. Haven’t used much more than blue jeans and a hoody the last 15 years. I am not afraid to spend for quality but I dont necessarily want to buy a full set for each application.

Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, Scent Lok

Any and all recommendations appreciated

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8937141 10/17/23 02:20 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Of those listed, I'd only look at Kuiu. Solids.

https://beyondclothing.com/pages/made-in-the-usa

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8937170 10/17/23 02:58 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I use alot of solids to diversify usage

I always carry 4 layers —>base, mid, outer, rain. —> the “what of” each layer depends on season and state. I put what I use but some of my pieces may go off brand, but are similar to pieces down below. Bold is what I carry Western Archery hunting 99%, rest get mixed in based off weather during rifle. I like kuiu, sitka, stone glacier, go ruck and kings. Firstlite is also good but as a whole I’ve had durability issues. My advice shop the layer not the brand if that makes sense.

base-
Shirt- kuiu 118 Merino , freefly, voomi or firstlite
light base pant - kuiu 145 zip off long johns
heavy base pant -stone glacier helio long jones

mid-
the weight of fleece is season dependent
sitka ambient or grid fleece(columbia, Stone glacier, Kuiu, Duluth, etc)

outer-
hotter pants- prana zion or SG De Havilland lite (not good archery pants-they are loud, but super durable)
colder pants -SG DE Havilland regular
Puffy jacket- Mountain hardware Ghost whisper or Columbia

rain -
early season- Sitka EXO
late season-stone glacier M7

gaiters-
Kuiu yukon

gloves- weather specific
always carry Hestra Iterum Gloves

then rest range from goose down mitts to wind proof fleece etc.
kuiu, Outdoor research, Stone Glacier,

There are some good price point options out there also: costco, wrangler tech pants, columbia, Kings camo, Black Ovis, Born Primitive, Go ruck etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8937843 10/18/23 02:36 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I like Kuiu and Sitka as I have a little of both due to features and sizing. 3 x tops limit some things

I would do this road trip to scheels and try on some and see Sitka and other brands Don’t buy yet

Drive to the Kuiu store 12 minutes away and you will see ALOT of pants and jackets to the point it’s almost confusing but they will show you as the dudes in there hunt alot up north

Buy some Kuiu or go back to scheels on your way home and pick up what you liked better

Dallas sitka store is off the path

IMO first lite doesn’t appear to be in the same league

Of the stuff I have, my favorite peice is the Sitka jet stream jacket which is a light jacket that cuts wind excellent

Expensive crap but it’s nice

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8937922 10/18/23 11:11 AM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have the Sitka Jet Stream as well. For the first year I wore it seemed like I was finding a new pocket about every other time I put it on. Worth every $, well made and I don't think 100 mph wind could cut it. With the right layers you can wear it most days, I have a cheap Columbia puffer I wear under it on really cold days. I hunt a lot on the ground, prone in the dirt with little cover and don't have to worry at all about being exposed.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Brother in-law] #8937933 10/18/23 11:41 AM
C
CB09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I like Kuiu and Sitka as I have a little of both due to features and sizing. 3 x tops limit some things

I would do this road trip to scheels and try on some and see Sitka and other brands Don’t buy yet

Drive to the Kuiu store 12 minutes away and you will see ALOT of pants and jackets to the point it’s almost confusing but they will show you as the dudes in there hunt alot up north

Buy some Kuiu or go back to scheels on your way home and pick up what you liked better

Dallas sitka store is off the path

IMO first lite doesn’t appear to be in the same league

Of the stuff I have, my favorite peice is the Sitka jet stream jacket which is a light jacket that cuts wind excellent

Expensive crap but it’s nice

I agree 100% on this and try on both. Kuiu fits way more snug than Sitka so good to try them both on. I went the Sitka Stratus route before Kuiu was out and i have been happy with it. Since then i have added a lot of Kuiu layering pieces and have very happy with them.

I will say that i love that Kuiu makes all the different pieces in all their camo options where you can't find everything in Sitka depending on what camo pattern you choose.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8939366 10/19/23 11:16 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Appreciate the comments. BIL i made that trip last week prior to the post. With all the options it is a little overwhelming. I was able to resolve some of the issue as Cabelas has certain scent lok items about 50% off. Now i can build a better wardrobe focusing on my plans to eventually hunt out west.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8940544 10/21/23 04:01 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Appreciate the comments. BIL i made that trip last week prior to the post. With all the options it is a little overwhelming. I was able to resolve some of the issue as Cabelas has certain scent lok items about 50% off. Now i can build a better wardrobe focusing on my plans to eventually hunt out west.

there are some really good price point options, if you dont care about matching or pattern. Watch Camofire also

Shirt-
https://www.blackovis.com/king-s-camo-xkg-elevation-1-4-zip-tee

mid fleece
https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Aut...amp;hvtargid=pla-1016847106714&psc=1

Pants-
wrangler ATG pants
prana Zion original

puffy-
Columbia Men's Delta Ridge™ Down Hooded Jacket

two biggest things- Stay away from cotton, and try to get outter wear with less then 10% elastic. Elastic holds water, and cotton has no insulation value when wet

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8940562 10/21/23 04:29 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Great info!!

why is this clothing so expensive?

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 10/21/23 06:21 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Buzzsaw] #8940659 10/21/23 07:03 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great info!!

you are paying for features and latest tech.

example

Kuiu attack has side zipper vents, front double zip pockets and a 4 way stretch that w/double stitch seams and a superior DWR that will out last all the budget models.

wrangler pant will dry with in 10-20 mins of the attack, is a 2 way stretch, no vents, no zip pockets weak DWR, and half the durability of the Attack, but cost half.

both are far superior to cotton or older 15 year old synthetic fabrics

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8941931 10/23/23 05:32 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I like Badlands for the warranty. I don't think the cano pattern matters.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: DonPablo] #8941971 10/23/23 06:09 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DonPablo
I like Badlands for the warranty. I don't think the cano pattern matters.

I think you're right.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8942014 10/23/23 07:17 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Great info!!

example

Kuiu attack has side zipper vents, front double zip pockets and a 4 way stretch that w/double stitch seams and a superior DWR that will out last all the budget models.

wrangler pant will dry with in 10-20 mins of the attack, is a 2 way stretch, no vents, no zip pockets weak DWR, and half the durability of the Attack, but cost half.

Thanks BOBO. I am going to the Dallas Store and take a look. The 3XL in Sitka fits but I need to try on the KUIU. The pants, not so much. Too much azz to cover. /

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8942029 10/23/23 07:35 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Big fan of First Lite, personally.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Buzzsaw] #8942045 10/23/23 07:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Great info!!

example

Thanks BOBO. I am going to the Dallas Store and take a look. The 3XL in Sitka fits but I need to try on the KUIU. The pants, not so much. Too much azz to cover. /

Some of their layers are worth the price for TX, but there are much cheaper options. Both sitka and kuiu started as mountaineering type technical clothing. Infact sitka was badicslly a camo version of Mountain Hardware

Not saying you shouldn't buy either brand as I think we would all rather support hunting brand like Kuiu then Anti-hunting brand like Patagonia.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8942051 10/23/23 08:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just received a parka from Origin. (Learned about them on here.) Completely American sourced and made. They were having a 40% off sale; hope that doesn't mean they're struggling. I didn't really need a coat, but I couldn't resist. I have a problem about wanting coats, but I sure have an excellent selection to choose from, the 3 days you need one here. I previously have bought their heavy hoody, and it is heavy, very old-school. At first, I thought the camo pattern of this parka was the ugliest I'd ever seen, but looking at it now, I think it might blend in real well at the ranch, with the cedars and brush. Full hood, zips away when not needed. 'Looks to be well designed.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Buzzsaw] #8942059 10/23/23 08:26 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Great info!!

Like BOBO said, it's got cool features and new tech. You're also definitely paying for the Sitka or Kuiu name.

No question about it, it's very expensive when you're starting out. I am headed West in a couple days and "needed" some new gear, so I went to both the Sitka and Kuiu stores in Dallas. Both were great and had a lot of great clothing and gear in them. Both are less than 10 minutes from my house, but Kuiu might be more convenient for those coming from the suburbs. One thing that made no sense to me was that the Sitka store did not carry any gaiters at. They recommended me trying Scheel's. I told them I'll go to Kuiu for them. At Kuiu, I asked a young female employee if she could tell me the difference between the Kutana Storm and the Yukon HD. She had absolutely no idea, so I just told her I'd research it on my phone. At those prices, the employees should be able to tell a customer EVERYTHING about a product.

As for lightweight, decent quality field pants in warm conditions, you can't beat these $20 Orvis pants from Costco. I just picked up a couple more pairs. They are nylon, with YKK zippers, and water repellant. Very comfortable, too.
Costco Orvis

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Creekrunner] #8942062 10/23/23 08:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I just received a parka from Origin. (Learned about them on here.) Completely American sourced and made. They were having a 40% off sale; hope that doesn't mean they're struggling. I didn't really need a coat, but I couldn't resist. I have a problem about wanting coats, but I sure have an excellent selection to choose from, the 3 days you need one here. I previously have bought their heavy hoody, and it is heavy, very old-school. At first, I thought the camo pattern of this parka was the ugliest I'd ever seen, but looking at it now, I think it might blend in real well at the ranch, with the cedars and brush. Full hood, zips away when not needed. 'Looks to be well designed.

I like their hoody and jeans, waiting for boot cut to be back in stock.

West TX cotton..

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8942303 10/24/23 12:42 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I have a mix of camo from different manufactures each with a purpose. A complete set of Generation III ECWCS in scorpion camo all the way to the parka is pretty functional though.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Leonardo] #8942459 10/24/23 03:27 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I’m primarily a Bowhunter and keep my gear simple. First lite corrugate pants (guide pants for early season, both in solid colors). I also have vuni pants that are pretty awesome. For outer wear I use either a vuni 1/4 zip fleece pullover ( the fabric is amazing it’s so soft and quiet, the jacket not so much) or a cotton hoodie. I picked up a Kuiu ridgepoint polar tech fleece hooded jacket this year and will say it’s my favorite piece that I own….quiet, warm and when sprayed with grangers it’s pretty water resistant. I prefer fleece but when it’s nasty a Kuiu guide jacket is what I go to… first lite makes a good jacket in the corrugate line as well. Vuni has the Rize jacket but it’s a harder shell that is too noisy imo for bowhunting although I’ve used it on stand.

I’m not familiar with Sitka, Stone Glacier, etc.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: txtrophy85] #8942485 10/24/23 04:42 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I prefer fleece but when it’s nasty a Kuiu guide jacket is what I go to…

I think Kuiu's Guide series is great.

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Buzzsaw] #8942595 10/24/23 01:52 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
[quote=BOBO the Clown]Thanks BOBO. I am going to the Dallas Store and take a look. The 3XL in Sitka fits but I need to try on the KUIU. The pants, not so much. Too much azz to cover. /

I've heard Badlands doesn't make the larger sizes but I'm a small guy so I've never looked to verify. confused2

Re: Camo Clothing Rec [Re: Buzzsaw] #8942662 10/24/23 04:12 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The 3XL in Sitka fits but I need to try on the KUIU.

Kuiu cuts are athletic. And, historically, they are known for erratic sizing. I don't know if that's still the case. I am 6' 1" 250 lbs - not a portly fellow. Their 3X Guide DCS fits me slightly small and the arm pits seem to be high up. I never bought anything 3X in my life except for that jacket.

My Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T is a 2X and fits proper. My Guide pants are 40 long cut; I normally wear 38 pants and should have gotten that. I think regular length would have been fine as well (I don't normally where long). It was a hard call to make, again, knowing their inconsistent sizing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide