Forums46
Topics538,832
Posts9,741,905
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874241 06/27/23 01:31 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I learn so much on this forum. I never heard the term boot licker before......

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: TKM] #8874257 06/27/23 01:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TKM
I recall a few years ago a member on here, don't remember who, that was working on his tractor in the field and a gw rolled up demanding to see his hunting license.

That was probably me. I was near the barn working on my tractor with the landowner standing nearby, both of us in street clothes. He did ask us at first if we had been hunting recently, to which I replied "yes". The landowner informed him that he doesn't hunt. When he asked to see my hunting license, I told him it was in my wallet in my trailer. He asked that we walk over to my trailer so he could see it, which we did. He also asked me if I had killed anything and I told him "Yes, a doe." He asked me when I killed it and I told him last weekend. I must admit at the time that I found it a little amusing the he thought I would admit to having hunted and killed a doe out of season without a license while standing there in street clothes. I mean, standing there in street clothes it would have been so much easier to say I hadn't been hunting that year.

While I didn't see the experience as being necessary, it was definitely something that didn't settle well at all with the landowner. I found it very much like an officer stopping at your house, asking if the vehicle in the driveway is your's, and then asking to see your driver's license.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/27/23 02:03 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874273 06/27/23 02:17 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by TKM
I recall a few years ago a member on here, don't remember who, that was working on his tractor in the field and a gw rolled up demanding to see his hunting license.

That was probably me. I was near the barn working on my tractor with the landowner standing nearby, both of us in street clothes. He did ask us at first if we had been hunting recently, to which I replied "yes". The landowner informed him that he doesn't hunt. When he asked to see my hunting license, I told him it was in my wallet in my trailer. He asked that we walk over to my trailer so he could see it, which we did. He also asked me if I had killed anything and I told him "Yes, a doe." He asked me when I killed it and I told him last weekend. I must admit at the time that I found it a little amusing the he thought I would admit to having hunted and killed a doe out of season without a license while standing there in street clothes. I mean, standing there in street clothes it would have been so much easier to say I hadn't been hunting that year.

While I didn't see the experience as being necessary, it was definitely something that didn't settle well at all with the landowner. I found it very much like an officer stopping at your house, asking if the vehicle in the driveway is your's, and then asking to see your driver's license.

Sounds like there 'might' have been more to the meeting than you were privy to (I.E. Warden might have been acting on information called in by someone). They don't always tell you why they are there.

It just seems a bridge too far that the Warden would go on that type of 'fishing expedition' ...out of the blue, with no apparent reason. But who knows.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: flintknapper] #8874281 06/27/23 02:28 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Sounds like there 'might' have been more to the meeting than you were privy to (I.E. Warden might have been acting on information called in by someone). They don't always tell you why they are there.

It just seems a bridge too far that the Warden would go on that type of 'fishing expedition' ...out of the blue, with no apparent reason. But who knows.

Your comments bring up a good point. I have no problem believing there are those who would provide officers with false and/or unsubstantiated information just to put pressure on neighbor hunting groups. After all, there are those who hate knowing someone is after "their" deer.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/27/23 02:49 PM.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: flintknapper] #8874305 06/27/23 02:51 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TKM

Agree with flint.
It does seem odd but he may of had other information that caused him to be curious. If the shoe was on the other foot and a neighbor was doing something illegal then Im sure everyone would be ok with the GW going over there and doing the same inquiry. Once again, they are usually just trying to do the job we all want them to do. Evidently they step outa bounds sometimes but on here is first Ive heard of it.
In this case, even though it seemed odd, I would not have been bothered by that encounter at all. I would be thankful he was being proactive about his job instead of sitting somewhere doing nothing. The two GWs I have worked closest with have been very diligent/aggresive about trying to catch the bad guys and I love it. Our current GW called me day before opening day to tell me he wanted to go in on us well before daylight to try and catch a poacher we suspected as hunting on us. I loved it. After a year of dogged pursuit he finally got the guy on numerous violations. Our landowner is somewhat politically connected and he was able to get the punishment part of the law changed to address some of what the guy had done. They even named the law change after our LO. Our old GW outa Throckmorton was the same way. We worked together to catch an outlaw. He was relentless.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: freerange] #8874323 06/27/23 03:24 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by TKM

Agree with flint.
It does seem odd but he may of had other information that caused him to be curious. If the shoe was on the other foot and a neighbor was doing something illegal then Im sure everyone would be ok with the GW going over there and doing the same inquiry. Once again, they are usually just trying to do the job we all want them to do. Evidently they step outa bounds sometimes but on here is first Ive heard of it.
In this case, even though it seemed odd, I would not have been bothered by that encounter at all. I would be thankful he was being proactive about his job instead of sitting somewhere doing nothing. The two GWs I have worked closest with have been very diligent/aggresive about trying to catch the bad guys and I love it. Our current GW called me day before opening day to tell me he wanted to go in on us well before daylight to try and catch a poacher we suspected as hunting on us. I loved it. After a year of dogged pursuit he finally got the guy on numerous violations. Our landowner is somewhat politically connected and he was able to get the punishment part of the law changed to address some of what the guy had done. They even named the law change after our LO. Our old GW outa Throckmorton was the same way. We worked together to catch an outlaw. He was relentless.

Love it. Game Wardens are not "out to get" ethical hunters. I've been checked many times. It often ended with a hand shake and an exchange of numbers. I still call a lower panhandle GW every time I plan on doing a somewhat annual walk in hunt on the Pease River. He tells me water levels, recent activity and success. I let him know my plate #, when I'll be there, etc. He lets me know it's ok to call him if I need access to private land for some reason and he will help if he can. One of the biggest benefits of having a positive relationship was at the beginning I bounced my understanding of game laws, rules and regulations off of him. I learned that a lot of what I thought to be true was not and it really opened up my hunting opportunities and made it way easier.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874336 06/27/23 03:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Met a guy at a seminar. Turned out we hunted close together. Real close. We had a problem pasture with bad hunters on our SE fence line. They had a pasture with bad hunters on their NW fence line. We figured out that pasture must be right in between his and mine.

Imagine our mutual surprise when figured out we were actually sharing that fence line. There was nothing in between.

Last edited by Hudbone; 06/27/23 03:47 PM.
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: freerange] #8874340 06/27/23 04:06 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I believe it's a term used by beta males, during the process of being a keyboard commando, to compensate for their inferiority complex.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874341 06/27/23 04:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
It never bothers me to get checked when I'm in the field or even driving down some dirt road during deer season. Like others, I enjoy seeing officers ensuring compliance in the proper settings. However, if I had been up to my ears in alligators that day while working on my tractor, I seriously doubt I would have felt so accommodating.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/27/23 06:00 PM.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: freerange] #8874345 06/27/23 04:15 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I’d heard it before but I guess I didn’t know the real definition lol,

I think we both knew how this one was going to end, it took a few days but it finally got to rolling

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8874352 06/27/23 04:31 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I’d heard it before but I guess I didn’t know the real definition lol,

I think we both knew how this one was going to end, it took a few days but it finally got to rolling

cheers

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Hudbone] #8874355 06/27/23 04:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Met a guy at a seminar. Turned out we hunted close together. Real close. We had a problem pasture with bad hunters on our SE fence line. They had a pasture with bad hunters on their NW fence line. We figured out that pasture must be right in between his and mine.

Imagine our mutual surprise when figured out we were actually sharing that fence line. There was nothing in between.

Such a good example of how the world turns. Perception is reality, until its not......
I could make analogies all day long but Im already way over my 5 word limit.......

Last edited by freerange; 06/27/23 04:36 PM.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874399 06/27/23 06:19 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you hunt or fish you owe a debt of gratitude to the Gamewardens who are tasked with policing the resource. Whether you realize it or not, it is the sportsmen who harvest the fruit of the wardens labor. All the native wild game animals in Texas are owned by the state. That is regardless of whether on public or private property. In order for wardens to police the resource they are tasked with, requires them to go where the animals are, be it public or private. My experiences with Gamewardens has been overwhelmingly positive. I have had two encounters with wardens that were not positive. Both were young men that did not yet know their way around. Both matured into assets to have around in time. The net benefits have far outweighed the two negatives in my estimation. In light of that I always show the wardens grace, even in the rare instances they were mistaken.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 06/27/23 06:20 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874402 06/27/23 06:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

While you may have (rightfully) found it amusing that the GW would think you might admit admit to wrong doing, that is exactly what is he verifying. No doubt he listened carefully to your words and was making sure your story didn't change. Heaven forbid you mispoke and you really killed a buck and properly tagged and recorded it, but now he will want to know what you did with the doe you killed or want to know why you tagged a doe as a buck. From there, he is going to want to see the carcass and/or pics. It would be the same thing if you got the date wrong and you misspoke and admitted to shooting a doe out of season.

With that said, some folks just outright admit to wrong doing. Some folks will slip up trying to hide their wrong doing, which it what he would have thought you might be doing if you had misspoken. Story inconsistencies are the bread and butter of lie detection for law enforcement. My pop was a cop in Dallas for 21 years. I am very familiar with the "interview" technique.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874413 06/27/23 06:55 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The GW may have wanted to see which tag you used on the doe and he may have wanted to see if it was properly recorded on the reverse side of license.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Wilhunt] #8874429 06/27/23 07:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
The GW may have wanted to see which tag you used on the doe and he may have wanted to see if it was properly recorded on the reverse side of license.

Perhaps this is a good place to stop and ask yourself what if the roles were reversed and you were the officer. You come across two men working on a tractor just outside a barn. You have no history with either of them ever breaking any laws and it's obvious they're not hunting and for all you know, may not have hunted that season or at any time in the past. Now would you feel it would be appropriate to stop and ask them to stop what they are doing so you can ask them if they had been hunting that season and when one of them said yes, feel it necessary to ask to see his license? I can honestly say that if the roles were reversed on me, I would not have even stopped to waste their time.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/27/23 07:41 PM.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874437 06/27/23 07:47 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Wilhunt

Perhaps this is a good place to stop and ask yourself what if the roles were reversed and you were the officer. You come across two men working on a tractor just outside a barn. You have no history with either of them ever breaking any laws and it's obvious they're not hunting and for all you know, may not have hunted that season or at any time in the past. Now would you feel it would be appropriate to stop and ask them to stop what they are doing so you can ask them if they had been hunting that season and when one of them said yes, feel it necessary to ask to see his license? I can honestly say that if the roles were reversed on me, I would not have even stopped to waste their time.

If it bothers you so much to post about it, why don’t you man up and call him? All their cell phone numbers are online. That way you could get the answer yourself.

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8874455 06/27/23 08:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
If you hunt or fish you owe a debt of gratitude to the Gamewardens who are tasked with policing the resource. Whether you realize it or not, it is the sportsmen who harvest the fruit of the wardens labor. All the native wild game animals in Texas are owned by the state. That is regardless of whether on public or private property. In order for wardens to police the resource they are tasked with, requires them to go where the animals are, be it public or private. My experiences with Gamewardens has been overwhelmingly positive. I have had two encounters with wardens that were not positive. Both were young men that did not yet know their way around. Both matured into assets to have around in time. The net benefits have far outweighed the two negatives in my estimation. In light of that I always show the wardens grace, even in the rare instances they were mistaken.

^^^I wish I knew how to save a quote like Smokeys above so I could just requote it EVERYTIME a GW thread comes up. Perfectly expresses my feelings and does it much better than I. Only difference is I have had zero negative encounters with GW(or any LEO.)

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: freerange] #8874498 06/27/23 09:42 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

^^^I wish I knew how to save a quote like Smokeys above so I could just requote it EVERYTIME a GW thread comes up. Perfectly expresses my feelings and does it much better than I. Only difference is I have had zero negative encounters with GW(or any LEO.)

I was thinking the same thing, well said Smokey...

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8874598 06/27/23 11:50 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G

Please, this is a brainwashed response...

I refuse to believe any of this post

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Sneaky] #8874603 06/27/23 11:53 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by DocHorton
The issue I have is being stopped or having your property searched without a warrant or probable cause, which happens often. I know the former LEO's and boot-lickers think that's fine, but every citizen who believes in the Constitution should have a problem with it. You can't legally do it to folks driving, and you shouldn't be able to do it to hunters on their land or a guy pulling a boat down the road.

Exactly. I don’t understand what’s so difficult to comprehend about our rights or exercising them. So many people seem to think exercising your rights or expecting law enforcement to respect our rights means that you hate law enforcement. It’s simply not true, and extremely short-sighted.

Put me down for agreeing with these guys

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874605 06/27/23 11:54 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Some of you are 4 shots into the jab and it shows...maybe 5 whatever CNN told you too...

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874609 06/28/23 12:00 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Ive just never been a fan of unreasonable searches and seizures

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874664 06/28/23 01:25 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Someone needs to talk with a shrink roflmao

Re: Game Wardens overstepping their bounds? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8874674 06/28/23 01:38 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Someone needs to talk with a shrink roflmao

More than one.....

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide