Print Thread
A feeder, some hogs, a story of inconsistency #8864616 06/08/23 06:28 PM
S
Soda4Rocky Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Hello all. This could be the worst question ever asked here, but I am going to anyway.

I know hogs have their own schedule and can cover A LOT of ground. I am lucky enough to be able to go out to some land not far from my house, 100 acres, VERY heavily-wooded with a creek and two ponds. There are hogs. I have killed two out there in about 6 months but they are inconsistent as can be. I am as well. Since it isn't my land I do not go every week or weekend, but try to as often as I can. A few months ago I found one spot that had TONS of sign. Near a creek. Pretty heavy cover of trees, but open enough at the bottom. I put a trail cam and feeder and saw them twice in 2.5-3 months. I moved that camera and feeder to am easier to access spot since the brush has really started to grow. Since the move to the new spot, I have seen the hogs (5-6 sows is what I could see) ONCE in about 2.5 weeks.

So, my question is: Is there something I can do to get them to that spot more consistently? The feeder is set to go off once in the morning and once in the evening. I even put out some smelly hog bait stuff when I first set it up. Of course two days later is when I saw them on camera. Maybe that is the key? Are there any more tricks to get them to come more often? Just thought I'd get y'alls opinions!

Thanks.

“Pain don’t hurt.” - Dalton
Re: A feeder, some hogs, a story of inconsistency [Re: Soda4Rocky] #8864667 06/08/23 08:15 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
As hog hunters, we would all love to see hogs consistently at our feeders where we could shoot them whenever we go hunt. Successful hunting is almost always better than hunting failures. In fact, I think most of us would be much happier as hog shooters than hog hunters. However, after shooting at them a time or two, hogs will get leery regardless of the bait you put out...at least until some new hogs move in to your area.

Pungence of bait smell seems to attract more humans than hogs. Hogs have really great noses, better than dogs and deer. However, either you have hogs in your immediate vicinity or you don't. If you do, they can smell the corn. If you don't, they aren't going to travel miles because they smell something stinky, even though theoretically they can smell your pungent bait, plus all the other pungent odors between your bait and them for miles. As such, pungence does not seem to be the driving force to have hogs, as evidenced by the fact that corn is certainly well loved by them, but is not pungent. Same for acorns, pecans, and persimmons. Taking it a step further, ever notice the strong odor of grubs and earthworns? No? Yet hogs will root the hell out of a field to get these buried treats.

Recently, you found a spot on your place with TONS of signs you said. Was that from a group of hogs that were there for an afternoon or one or two there for a couple of days? One lone boar can produce a lot of sign is short order, and so you could have simply had a boar or sounder that was simply passing through you place.

Your land is 'very heavily wooded" with what type so trees? Other than water, what other resources are there in your 100 acre wood that is attractive to hogs to have them on your property? Are you part of or surrounded by similarly heavily wooded lands? Are you next to a town or other bothersome traffic? Are the trees oaks, pecans, persimmons, or what? One of the problems a lot of us have is when there is other stuff available to the hogs that is more interesting than what is coming from our feeders. When the oaks drop acorns, hog traffic at nearby feeders often drops dramatically. Somebody within a mile or two of you has a nice oat or winter wheat field? Chances are, that is where they will be, not at the feeders. Where I am going with this is that you may be offering what hogs want, but you are in competition with other nearby lands that have stuff that hogs want even more. Of course, even if your woods are all oaks, the hogs may come in the fall and eat the acorns, but not be in any one place of your property at any given time as they will be feeding all over.

I have the same problem as you. Hogs do not show up consistently at my place and are very hard to hunt even though it sounds like they show up more often than at yours. For example, right now I have a small boar and a sounder that show up. The boar may show up a couple of times a week, but it could be mid day or mid night (one feeder is evening only and the other is sunup and sundown). The sounder pops in for a day or two every 1-3 weeks, usually after dark, but it could be at sundown or at 5:30 am.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide