Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8752014 12/07/22 01:37 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
What’s the best time of the year to get bees? Know anyone in the Freestone area looking for a place to set a few hives 4-10….

Best way to start is pre-order as early as you can, usually Jan 1st on, and folks start selling pre-order. Since initial cost will be higher with having to purchase incidentals like bee suit/jacket, gloves, hive tool, boxes and frames et cetera, I'd try to at least start with 2 hives

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Western] #8765413 12/23/22 09:14 PM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Western
Another thought as far as bees.

I would strongly recommend you getting your bees as a "nuc" if you can find some local or within a reasonable driving distance for you. Ideally they will be overwintered, but even a spring nuc you pre-order will be better than a package bees but that's just my opinion. A nuc will come as a mini hive where all are familiar with each other. Packaged bees are bees from many hives put in a cage with a caged queen and shipped/picked up.

Yes, a "Nuc" is the BEST way to start. I started 5 years ago by catching swarms. Expanding next year, so will be purchasing at least 10 "Nucs". Check out Facebook groups for used equipment if needed.

"MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM"

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8779136 01/12/23 12:58 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Not sure if I shared this yet.

I started my first hive spring of 2022. They seemed to do well but just didn’t expand like I expected but that’s a whole other topic.

A few months ago I went down to check on them and I wasn’t wearing any sting protection. Unless I’m pulling frames I usually don’t. I’ll open the hive just peek in real quick, check on my sugar water I’m feeding etc.

Well this particular day they decided to protect their resources more aggressively, I have now learned not uncommon heading into winter for bees to become more aggressive.

I was hit twice, once on my left temple and once at the base of my right ear.

Anyway, I didn’t think much about it, I’ve been stung before and it usually dose not bother me. This time however my head started to get a bit hot but still didn’t think much of it.

We needed to run to town so I jumped in the shower. Things got a bit more scary at this point. I started to break out in full body hives. I took some Benadryl. Then my jaw got tight and tongue seemed to swell. I believe I started to have a bit of a panic attack (never had one before) because my heart started racing, sweating profusely and vision became blurry. I’m a paramedic and my wife is an NP.

We got in the car and headed to the ER, thankfully the Benadryl kicked it halfway there and everything subsided.

The next day the left side of my head looked like grapefruit but only the right side where I was also stung never swelled.

So just a warning, always wear your gear, you can have a reaction even if you never have before and get an Epi pen

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8779231 01/12/23 03:29 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Not sure if I shared this yet.

I started my first hive spring of 2022. They seemed to do well but just didn’t expand like I expected but that’s a whole other topic.

A few months ago I went down to check on them and I wasn’t wearing any sting protection. Unless I’m pulling frames I usually don’t. I’ll open the hive just peek in real quick, check on my sugar water I’m feeding etc.

Well this particular day they decided to protect their resources more aggressively, I have now learned not uncommon heading into winter for bees to become more aggressive.

I was hit twice, once on my left temple and once at the base of my right ear.

Anyway, I didn’t think much about it, I’ve been stung before and it usually dose not bother me. This time however my head started to get a bit hot but still didn’t think much of it.

We needed to run to town so I jumped in the shower. Things got a bit more scary at this point. I started to break out in full body hives. I took some Benadryl. Then my jaw got tight and tongue seemed to swell. I believe I started to have a bit of a panic attack (never had one before) because my heart started racing, sweating profusely and vision became blurry. I’m a paramedic and my wife is an NP.

We got in the car and headed to the ER, thankfully the Benadryl kicked it halfway there and everything subsided.

The next day the left side of my head looked like grapefruit but only the right side where I was also stung never swelled.

So just a warning, always wear your gear, you can have a reaction even if you never have before and get an Epi pen

I always have an epi pen on hand. I also don’t have any reaction to stings. But you never know when that could change. Glad you’re okay. 👍

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8788704 01/26/23 08:16 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Timing is always a "thing", sometimes a night visitor has them riled up (skunk, possum), dark clothing can get their attention at times.
I've been lit up a few times, but generally its one or two guard bees that get me when I'm not ready lol

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8798187 02/09/23 02:01 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Ordered 6 complete hives today! Should be delivered mid-to late April or early May!

Getting everything together to prep the area. Going to set cattle panel wind breaks around the hive area using T-posts to keep the bottom of the panel 14-18” above ground level then using topsoil to create a 12-14” tall 3-4’ wide mount then length of each panel. Planting red honeysuckle and several varieties of grapes to grow as a view/wind screens on the panels and planting various berry bushes on the mounds. Expect to have between 10-18 panel/mounds depending upon final layout.

Also looking into chickens or quail or both….meat and egg production.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8798189 02/09/23 02:11 AM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Good luck with your new bees. I’ve been keeping bees for three years now and love the honey.

I’m planting alfalfa on 4-5 acres for my bees this year

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8803165 02/17/23 09:18 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Does anyone have any experience with the Flowhives? My wife bought a couple of these for here at the house and I’d never even heard of something like this before so I’m curious what other bee keepers think about them. I put them together today and they seem like a really well built/thought out box and super easy to maintain but time will tell I guess.

She’s been going to classes the last couple months trying to get a crash course in bee keeping but does anyone have any must know and must have items to keep on hand at all times? She’s purchased all the tools, gadgets and safety gear already but me being as OCD as I am I want to have anything she might need eventually on hand. I’m thinking like pest control, food, supplements, etc etc. so I can go ahead and order for her before she needs it. I’d appreciate any and all help,

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8811711 03/03/23 02:51 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Well, I’ve been seeing bees flying around the hive on warm days for the last few weeks.

When do you typically start adding your supers?

My hive only filled one deep last year so I took off the super and condensed them down to just the deep. Fed them over winter.

I was thinking about giving them more space next week.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8811716 03/03/23 02:55 AM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
When the brood box is at least 80% full then add either another brood box or a honey supper. It all depends on if you’re trying to grow your apiary or harvest honey this year

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Hunter-Steve] #8824185 03/27/23 04:54 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve
When the brood box is at least 80% full then add either another brood box or a honey supper. It all depends on if you’re trying to grow your apiary or harvest honey this year

I was asking because my hive only wintered with one deep brood box 5.5 of 8 frames drawn out.

When winter hit I took off the super (they hadn’t touched it). I put some paper directly over the brood box frames, built a 1/2 inch wood frame spacer and filled that space with plain white sugar, covered that with my inner cover then outer cover.

I picked up the method from somewhere. Stated it fed their bees through winter as well as absorbed moisture keeping the colony dry.

I opened them up today and they look great, all the paper and sugar was gone. 6.5/8 frames drawn. I added a super as well.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8825267 03/29/23 02:40 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Bradybuck, I assume you are using 8 frame equipment? I do.

The sugar and how you added it, is called "mountain camp"

Running 1 brood box will keep you busy, you will have to be on the look out for potential swarming, even using 10 frame. Monitoring a single deep can tax even experienced beeks.

You need to make sure they have nectar, they likely have plenty pollen by now and should be brooding up way by now, mine started brooding up end of February. You need to check how much brood you have and in what stages they are, this will give you an idea what to expect in number explosion.

You don't want a swarm to occur, or it will be like starting over for a spell.

Do you have more wooden ware to expand if necessary? In a good flow they potentially could draw out the super in a week or less if they are strong.

Do a mite wash?

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8825274 03/29/23 02:52 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Does anyone have any experience with the Flowhives? My wife bought a couple of these for here at the house and I’d never even heard of something like this before so I’m curious what other bee keepers think about them. I put them together today and they seem like a really well built/thought out box and super easy to maintain but time will tell I guess.

She’s been going to classes the last couple months trying to get a crash course in bee keeping but does anyone have any must know and must have items to keep on hand at all times? She’s purchased all the tools, gadgets and safety gear already but me being as OCD as I am I want to have anything she might need eventually on hand. I’m thinking like pest control, food, supplements, etc etc. so I can go ahead and order for her before she needs it. I’d appreciate any and all help,

Hey Thumper, Just mho, I think they are a bit gimmicky and lead one to believe it is as easy as just turning a spout and at a premium price for the novelty. I an sure the wife has learned enough by now to know all the work in keeping bees alive will still be the same.

I also have some reservation on what honey comes out of the spout, if the moisture content is to high, it will start to ferment. That is an issue for standard Langstroth hives but possibly easier to pull my frames and see where the bees are in capping cells. May not even be an issue for her to go to that trouble.

I have read several threads about them, there are a few guys that like them, but many that get frustrated. From what I've been told, they really need a long, strong nectar flow to really work well, as they have in Australia where the father and son developed them.

In any event, welcome her to the clan lol, it is a fascinating, frustrating at times hobby. Varroa mites are the enemy.....

EDIT: Get her a Refractometer, This is good for anyone that will jar honey, especially if you intend to sell or give honey away

I have this one and it works great and easy to calibrate using extra virgin olive oil
https://www.amazon.com/Refractomete...;linkId=f325044b5202ed01a740d1c9fcaf9a3a

Last edited by Western; 03/29/23 02:56 AM.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8825280 03/29/23 03:02 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Ordered 6 complete hives today! Should be delivered mid-to late April or early May!

Getting everything together to prep the area. Going to set cattle panel wind breaks around the hive area using T-posts to keep the bottom of the panel 14-18” above ground level then using topsoil to create a 12-14” tall 3-4’ wide mount then length of each panel. Planting red honeysuckle and several varieties of grapes to grow as a view/wind screens on the panels and planting various berry bushes on the mounds. Expect to have between 10-18 panel/mounds depending upon final layout.

Also looking into chickens or quail or both….meat and egg production.

Congrats Jess!!
Sounds like you are doing your level best to never get bored lol

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8825287 03/29/23 03:08 AM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H

Already added honey supers to all 6 of my double deep hives. Hopefully they will continue to fly this spring. [Linked Image]

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8825308 03/29/23 03:18 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Looks like a good location along a treeline. I only have one super on yet as the flow if still a bit off, did get some early redbud and wild plum so far.

April can be tricky and many hives can starve out if brooding heavy. I've been pushing mine for about a month to give me enough nurse bee's for a cell starter, which I grafted just 6 cells this past Sunday ( hoping for 2-3 queen cells from this Cordovan girl)

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Western] #8825966 03/30/23 02:20 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Western
Bradybuck, I assume you are using 8 frame equipment? I do.

The sugar and how you added it, is called "mountain camp"

Running 1 brood box will keep you busy, you will have to be on the look out for potential swarming, even using 10 frame. Monitoring a single deep can tax even experienced beeks.

You need to make sure they have nectar, they likely have plenty pollen by now and should be brooding up way by now, mine started brooding up end of February. You need to check how much brood you have and in what stages they are, this will give you an idea what to expect in number explosion.

You don't want a swarm to occur, or it will be like starting over for a spell.

Do you have more wooden ware to expand if necessary? In a good flow they potentially could draw out the super in a week or less if they are strong.

Do a mite wash?

Yes, 8 frame equipment.

I would like to add another brood box but these bees for whatever reason just are slow builders. They seem healthy but they only drew out 5.5-6 frames from April until November. I added a super in early fall. They never touched it. I reduced them down to the one deep for winter but have now added the super. I’ll give them a peak in a few days.

Right now I have the 1 deep and 2 supers.

I don’t do a wash but treated in the fall with Formic pro strips and plan to do the same very soon.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826027 03/30/23 04:10 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yes sir, you have something going on if they didn't build last summer.

Where did your bees come from? Queen marked so you know she is the original?

I would also urge you to do a mite wash so you know exactly if mites are holding your bees back and possibly pushing them to crash. I know a couple large commercial beeks that had mite troubles last fall when their treatments weren't as effective as they thought. Only way to know is a mite wash of 1/2 cup of nurse bees. It sucks to do, but it may save the whole hive and/or keep you from treating when not needed.

They won't do much in fall with a super, late summer if you have a flow, most start pushing feed late Aug-Oct so they bees can put up stores for winter. You want them making your over winter bees strong and healthy.

BTW, what type foundation are you using? If its is the normal plastic style, often a good coating of wax will get them to draw it out. ( along with having plenty of nurse bees)

I'd consider a new queen and possibly running 2 separate hives. Having at least 2 makes management a lot easier when one needs help. This is if you can determine whats going on.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826032 03/30/23 04:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Things to look for

Deformed wings
brood stages and color, also does the brood look "wet" (well fed) or are they dry
How many frames with capped brood and how is the pattern, solid, sporadic?
Abnormal smell
new eggs

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826157 03/30/23 08:24 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Besides them not drawing out the foundation quickly everything seemed to be doing well. Always have a good amount of brood in various stages.

I chalked it up to the horrendous drought conditions.

I am using waxed plastic foundation.

I got them from Mountain Sweet Honey out of GA

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826239 03/30/23 10:55 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Some photos from last summer
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]We

Last edited by BradyBuck; 03/30/23 10:55 PM.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826406 03/31/23 10:34 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What about fire ant poison around bee hives? I’m waging full scale war against fire ants this year. My six hives should be delivered in 3-4 weeks.

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8826471 03/31/23 01:40 PM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What about fire ant poison around bee hives? I’m waging full scale war against fire ants this year. My six hives should be delivered in 3-4 weeks.

Strong / Aggressive hives will take care of "ants". I try to keep the soil beneath my hives void of any vegetation. Any granular insecticide / pesticide is fine for control of pesky insects. "Granular" because you place it on the soil. A sandy / rocky base below the hives deter many types of insects, and bee won't forage there. It also helps to prevent BHV's - breaks the life cycle.

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Wildphilhickup] #8826496 03/31/23 02:14 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Wildphilhickup

Strong / Aggressive hives will take care of "ants". I try to keep the soil beneath my hives void of any vegetation. Any granular insecticide / pesticide is fine for control of pesky insects. "Granular" because you place it on the soil. A sandy / rocky base below the hives deter many types of insects, and bee won't forage there. It also helps to prevent BHV's - breaks the life cycle.

I’m building a space for my bees right now. They will reside on a stand inside the wood frame. Heavy duty landscape fabric will be the only thing below them. A screen of red honeysuckle will be around the hives. On the north side of that will be a screen of star jasmine. A few peach trees and a hedge of oleanders. The honeysuckle, star jasmine, and oleanders will provide a wind break, visually screen, physical barrier, and with the exception of the oleander food for the bees.

The fire ant control will be going on over 5.5 acres!

I also planted several grapes and berries nearby.

The “Bee Palace”…
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grapes and berries….
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]