Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8773675 01/04/23 02:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Creedmore Derangement Syndrome - The Sand Aggie is just a lil' put off because he successfully utilizes the newly coveted GayMore. Being concerned with how others think, he doesn't want to be thought of as going for a fad. stir

Last edited by Hudbone; 01/04/23 02:43 PM.
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: skinnerback] #8773688 01/04/23 02:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I think more hunters are in love with the rifle rather than the caliber it’s chambered in.

For me, my .270 is a mid 90’s Ruger topped with a redfield 3x9. Very accurate rifle but I pretty much stopped hunting with it when I got a sexier rifle and and a clearer higher magnification scope, not because I got a better caliber.

A lot of hunters have upgraded rifles over the years and stopped shooting the .270’s and .30-06’s chambered in 700 BDL’s and Model 70’s

When hunters are tell others “I love my 6.5 cm” many are really saying “ I love my new modern rifle with a clear, bright, high magnification scope.

I agree there's some truth to that. If my Model 70 270 wouldn't have gotten stolen 25 yrs ago, it would probably still be my go-to. All animals taken with that rifle were one shot kills, but then I bought an old ugly used Savage 243 that does the same thing.

The 6.5 Creed fad is the biggest fad that I've ever witnessed in my life, and for that reason alone I've never gotten on board....but that's me. up

The Fade left after year 1, we are now on year 15.

Hornady did a very good job on ammo consistency, essentially you could buy competition ready ammo off the self. It’s an efficient cartridge that made a lot of rifle builders look awesome . 7-08 has much wider range of bullets available so it appeals more to handloaders.

Love or hate the 6.5 CM it’s a mild recoiling round that’s normally very consistent on ammo performance

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Hudbone] #8773891 01/04/23 07:25 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I think more hunters are in love with the rifle rather than the caliber it’s chambered in.

For me, my .270 is a mid 90’s Ruger topped with a redfield 3x9. Very accurate rifle but I pretty much stopped hunting with it when I got a sexier rifle and and a clearer higher magnification scope, not because I got a better caliber.

A lot of hunters have upgraded rifles over the years and stopped shooting the .270’s and .30-06’s chambered in 700 BDL’s and Model 70’s

When hunters are tell others “I love my 6.5 cm” many are really saying “ I love my new modern rifle with a clear, bright, high magnification scope.

I agree there's some truth to that. If my Model 70 270 wouldn't have gotten stolen 25 yrs ago, it would probably still be my go-to. All animals taken with that rifle were one shot kills, but then I bought an old ugly used Savage 243 that does the same thing.

The 6.5 Creed fad is the biggest fad that I've ever witnessed in my life, and for that reason alone I've never gotten on board....but that's me. up

Hornady did a very good job on ammo consistency, essentially you could buy competition ready ammo off the self. It’s an efficient cartridge that made a lot of rifle builders look awesome . 7-08 has much wider range of bullets available so it appeals more to handloaders.

Love or hate the 6.5 CM it’s a mild recoiling round that’s normally very consistent on ammo performance

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Creedmore Derangement Syndrome - The Sand Aggie is just a lil' put off because he successfully utilizes the newly coveted GayMore. Being concerned with how others think, he doesn't want to be thought of as going for a fad. stir

roflmao

Meh, I almost bought a CM once......but when I was looking for 6.5 CM ammo on line, all these ads of man bun wearing men kept popping up selling beard wax and designer jeans. I just couldn't do it. grin In all seriousness, I don't care what other people shoot and don't care what other people think. It's just a little good old fashioned ribbin'.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8773905 01/04/23 07:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Yes, the damn thing works. I don't know why the hate. As I've said before, I bet WWII vets said, in 1952, the .308 Winchester was going to just be a fad. It's a 71 year old fad now.

I took a call an hour ago. The guy had a 6.5 Creedmoor built, and has been shooting Hornady ammo. He's ran it out to 1000 yards, but the ammo is now not up to what he's wanting. So, the rifle is coming to me. And he will end up rolling his own later this year, based off whatever recipe I come up with. I told him his barrel will be done in 2500 rounds. He said what I say "ok, I'll have another barrel put on and keep going."

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: skinnerback] #8773908 01/04/23 07:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Originally Posted by Hudbone

roflmao

Meh, I almost bought a CM once......but when I was looking for 6.5 CM ammo on line, all these ads of man bun wearing men kept popping up selling beard wax and designer jeans. I just couldn't do it. grin In all seriousness, I don't care what other people shoot and don't care what other people think. It's just a little good old fashioned ribbin'.

Wait , you don’t use beard wax? Ol’son!!

Let’s be honest, Zeus only game mortals one weapon, the 257Wby.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Jgraider] #8773911 01/04/23 07:54 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jgraider
You CMDRS sufferers shouldn't be butthurt because the 6.5CM is a better mousetrap.

I know plenty of men over 60 years old that went to the 6.5 Creedmoor. And it's their favorite cartridge of their lives.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: J.G.] #8773914 01/04/23 07:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by J.G.
You CMDRS sufferers shouldn't be butthurt because the 6.5CM is a better mousetrap.

I know plenty of men over 60 years old that went to the 6.5 Creedmoor. And it's their favorite cartridge of their lives.

My dad in his 80’s and switched from 270 to 6.5CM. Recoil is more tolerant for him. As long as I don’t have to track I don’t care what he shoots.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8774259 01/05/23 03:27 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
270 and/or 308

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8774365 01/05/23 02:06 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I shoot 270 and wife shoots 30/06. If I could only pick one it would be the 30/06.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: J.G.] #8774444 01/05/23 03:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Makes you wonder why it or something similar didn’t take root 50 or 60 years ago, because there is nothing cutting edge about a 140 grain bullet flying at 2700 fps.

I would be a large part of it would be todays media marketing, social media and Internet forums and information availability.

Media of yesteryear was controlled and you were only allowed to see and read what the advertisers and publications wanted you to.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: txtrophy85] #8774452 01/05/23 04:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Makes you wonder why it or something similar didn’t take root 50 or 60 years ago, because there is nothing cutting edge about a 140 grain bullet flying at 2700 fps.

I would be a large part of it would be todays media marketing, social media and Internet forums and information availability.

Media of yesteryear was controlled and you were only allowed to see and read what the advertisers and publications wanted you to.

50 years ago most rifles and components where minute of deer. You buy a box of Remington corelokts and hope they are atleast with in 6” of the old box. I also think a lot of them finally got over the big magnum or big caliber ego.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8774481 01/05/23 04:28 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
You can buy rifles off the shelf today that are as accurate as many target rifles of 50 years ago. Ammo has gotten better especially if you reload. Scopes have made a huge difference. With all of that plus the internet and information, ballistic apps etc. More people ate shooting longer range than ever.

There is nothing IMO the Creedmore cartridges can do that the 130 year old 6.5×55 cannot do but does take a grain or 2 more powder than todays darling.

For best Texas rifle 270, 280 and 30-06 doesn't matter all as well as many others will do the Job.

Heck look at what all game was almost lost to market and subsistance hunting with lead bullets and black powder.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: txtrophy85] #8775099 01/06/23 02:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

It is not marketing, it is not hype.

It is good ammo support. Remington could have done the exact same thing with the .260 Remington, but they screwed it up, which was normal for them. Remington did not load a 140 gr going 2700 fps, and they did not offer multiple choices of bullet weights. I have hand loaded the .260 Rem, and the 6.5 Creedmoor thousands of rounds for both. The ending ballistics, out of a 24" barrel has been 2770-2800 fps MV, with a 140 gr bullet. The .260 Rem requires one more grain of H-4350, than the 6.5 Creedmoor, to achieve those speeds. The 6.5 Creedmoor case geometry is obviously more efficient. But the major point is, the .260 Rem was and is very capable of the same external ballistics. But people could not get ammo even close to the availability of the 6.5 Creedmoor, so the cartridge never took off.

The .308 Win was wildcatted into the .243 Win (6mm), .260 Rem (6.5mm) 7mm-08 Rem and .338 Fed.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has been wildcatted into the 6mm Creedmoor,.22 Creedmoor, and 257 Creedmoor. It works better than the .308 based cartridges as far as internal ballistics are concerned. And, in the last few years we have learned of the greatness of a small rifle primer inside a .470" bolt face, and seat a small rifle magnum primer. Annealing the case necks means the brass life exceeds 10 firings in many cases. And the Creedmoor based brass is available in small rifle primer or large rifle primer.

The Creedmoor is here to stay for a long time. Again, the damn thing works.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: kmon11] #8775105 01/06/23 03:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kmon11
You can buy rifles off the shelf today that are as accurate as many target rifles of 50 years ago. Ammo has gotten better especially if you reload. Scopes have made a huge difference. With all of that plus the internet and information, ballistic apps etc. More people ate shooting longer range than ever.

There is nothing IMO the Creedmore cartridges can do that the 130 year old 6.5×55 cannot do but does take a grain or 2 more powder than todays darling.

100% agree. These are facts.

18 years ago I was impressed that three of us were able to bounce a Coke can at 350 yards with a .22-250. The same three guys have now well exceeded thousand yard hits, at will. My personal farthest consecutive hits are 2180 yards as of right now. One of the other guys in the story competed in the King of 2 Miles for a few years and finished in the top 10%.

Technology improved and we embraced it. Information has been shared and we learned it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: J.G.] #8775128 01/06/23 03:39 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by kmon11

100% agree. These are facts.

18 years ago I was impressed that three of us were able to bounce a Coke can at 350 yards with a .22-250. The same three guys have now well exceeded thousand yard hits, at will. My personal farthest consecutive hits are 2180 yards as of right now. One of the other guys in the story competed in the King of 2 Miles for a few years and finished in the top 10%.

Technology improved and we embraced it. Information has been shared and we learned it.

No doubt Hornady got it right. I don’t believe if Remington had done the same with the 260 it would have taken off like the 6.5 creedmoor did though. Advancements in optics, particularly repeatable dialing exposed turrets becoming mainstream opened up a market segment that previously was relegated to only serious shooters. Now there are multiple creedmoor equipped snipers at every range.

As for the one texas rifle question, a 30-06 will do it.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/06/23 03:41 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8775131 01/06/23 03:41 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think it has a lot to do with demand. Producers make what people want. There are a lot more people interested in shooting 1,000 yards today it seems like than decades ago.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: redchevy] #8775166 01/06/23 04:23 PM
R
rickt300 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by redchevy
I think it has a lot to do with demand. Producers make what people want. There are a lot more people interested in shooting 1,000 yards today it seems like than decades ago.

But that seems odd since there are so few 1000 yard rifle ranges.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: txtrophy85] #8775171 01/06/23 04:30 PM
R
rickt300 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R

Well they did have something just like that 50-60 years ago, the 6.5x55, 308, 300 Savage and the 7x57. not to forget the many attempts at similar cartridges, the 260 Remington or the dumped 257 Roberts. The big four were for many years the 243, 308, 270 and 30-06. The current media is the most controlled of all time.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8775322 01/06/23 08:36 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
22-250 - great for deer and turkey

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8775343 01/06/23 09:06 PM
DU SOUTH5 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I don’t even own one but I feel like a .300WM is the best do it all out there, you can run lighter 150-168grain stuff or 200+ it’s just a great round for doing anything in Texas. Short range, Long range, medium sized game or big game. All bases covered, ammo everywhere, .30 Cal killing power I dunno a big thirty is hard to beat.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: DU SOUTH5] #8775353 01/06/23 09:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DU SOUTH5
I don’t even own one but I feel like a .300WM is the best do it all out there, you can run lighter 150-168grain stuff or 200+ it’s just a great round for doing anything in Texas. Short range, Long range, medium sized game or big game. All bases covered, ammo everywhere, .30 Cal killing power I dunno a big thirty is hard to beat.

The .300 Winchester magnum, also known as the Lord’s Caliber, is the best do-all caliber

But don’t try and convince anyone who doesent own one of that.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8775678 01/07/23 02:19 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E

Pref a pre-64 Model 70 : )

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: Fred S] #8775937 01/07/23 09:46 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I normally dont comment on the 6.5 Creedmore fad and this may of allready been mentioned but having the 8 twist riflings is what gave it a edge over my 260 and several others i have
which are 9 or so rate of twist. I allready own a 260 so i did not need a 6.5 Creedmore but if the Creedmore had of been out when i was in the market for a 6.5 caliber i would of prefered an 8 twist over a 9. The 8 twist gives it the ability to fire a longer bullet and the longer the bullet the higher the Ballistic Coefficient which simple put is the bullets ability to overcome resistance in flight and that small change killed the popularity of the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmore fit in better with the long range crowd. My choice was 7mm-08 if i only had to pick one caliber for several reasons but thats just me. Im sitting in a hospital room with a wife that just had surgery hence the time to comment. I cant argue with any caliber mentioned if the bullet was well placed.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: txtrophy85] #8775951 01/07/23 10:13 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

The .300 Winchester magnum, also known as the Lord’s Caliber, is the best do-all caliber

I have never heard any caliber called the Lord’s caliber. Certainly not a 300 Win Mag. I know you probably got carried away a little with your zeal for it. grin

300 Win Mag for the big stuff but certainly not needed or ideal for medium game.

Re: 1 TEXAS Rifle Caliber? [Re: scottfromdallas] #8776029 01/08/23 12:30 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I have never heard any caliber called the Lord’s caliber. Certainly not a 300 Win Mag. I know you probably got carried away a little with your zeal for it. grin

300 Win Mag for the big stuff but certainly not needed or ideal for medium game.

I've shot about 20 different rifles chambered in it. Do not own one, and probably never will.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide