Print Thread
Ramball Feeder question #8728442 11/07/22 06:22 PM
T
tchunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Any ideas on how to get to the motor on one of Ramball's feeders without having to empty it? All was fine with it until a cow got it's head under it and panicked. It knocked the feeder over. After setting it back up, it worked fine for a few weeks then stopped. Batteries are fine and when running a test on the timer, there is no sound.

Preserve Wildlife - Use Freezer Bags
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8728453 11/07/22 06:28 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
That is impressive for a cow to flip one of his feeders.

There are two screws on the bottom box...I think they are 3/8 or 5/16 something in that range. That gets you to the motor...take a 4" ratchet strap and put it between the spinner plate and the feeder hopper and ratchet it tight (not ape tight just snug)...then you can drop the motor and change it out and lose very little corn in the process.

Good to drop that box at least once a year...corn can and will fill up that box and short that motor out. It will show up on the ground side of the battery showing corrosion...that is the first sign you'll get that box is full of wet corn.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Judd] #8728518 11/07/22 07:38 PM
T
tchunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
What a great idea! A ratchet strap covering the hole and around the entire hopper. That would work on any feeder just trickier if you need to be on a ladder.

Thanks Judd

Preserve Wildlife - Use Freezer Bags
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8728546 11/07/22 08:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You're welcome and no problem...you are correct, it would work for any feeder you can get a strap around. You'll find you have to take some bolts out of one side of the varmint plate to get your strap set but it works great with very minimal corn loss. I'd love to take credit for the idea but Mike (Ramball) told me how to do it wink

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Judd] #8729025 11/08/22 11:42 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd
That is impressive for a cow to flip one of his feeders.

There are two screws on the bottom box...I think they are 3/8 or 5/16 something in that range. That gets you to the motor...take a 4" ratchet strap and put it between the spinner plate and the feeder hopper and ratchet it tight (not ape tight just snug)...then you can drop the motor and change it out and lose very little corn in the process.

Good to drop that box at least once a year...corn can and will fill up that box and short that motor out. It will show up on the ground side of the battery showing corrosion...that is the first sign you'll get that box is full of wet corn.

Good luck!

More on the box filling with wet corn please. How does this happen? I've had one running daily for five years and haven't seen this, or even thought it possible.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8729030 11/08/22 11:51 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The 2 I bought both had corn get down in the motor box via the wire conduit and the gap around it. The box had no drain holes. A rotten hot mess. He sent new motors. I had to drop the boxes, drill drain holes, and caulk around the gaps.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Creekrunner] #8729031 11/08/22 11:54 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Did you buy these on the group buy, with pick up in Lewisville? Maybe I need to check mine.

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8729064 11/08/22 01:01 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Had my Ramball feeder for 5 years and no problems

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Creekrunner] #8729179 11/08/22 03:23 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
The 2 I bought both had corn get down in the motor box via the wire conduit and the gap around it. The box had no drain holes. A rotten hot mess. He sent new motors. I had to drop the boxes, drill drain holes, and caulk around the gaps.

^^^ Creek's right, that is my experience too. I try to really pay attention and not get corn in the battery and timer box holder when filling and then I've put tape around the conduit to minimize the corn that gets in the box but it still occurs. I thought about taking a hole saw and drilling some drain holes but I figured a coon would start messing with wires. So I just drop the box once a year...

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8729475 11/08/22 08:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tchunter
Any ideas on how to get to the motor on one of Ramball's feeders without having to empty it? All was fine with it until a cow got it's head under it and panicked. It knocked the feeder over. After setting it back up, it worked fine for a few weeks then stopped. Batteries are fine and when running a test on the timer, there is no sound.

First take box off bottom (two screws) and snip old motor wire off. Leave yourself lots of cord for new one.

Now get a plastic grocery bag handy. When you get bottom varmint plate nuts off don’t drop the plate until you are ready. Stuff bag up in hole half way then drop the bottom plate.

Once off install new motor, then put bottom plate back on. Use stick to pull out plastic bag. While motor cover is off you need to mod one or two ways 1)use aluminum tape or gorilla tape to close any gaps around the sq tubing hole going into motor box, could foam it to) or drill holes in bottom of motor box housing.

I just replaced a bad motor by my self last week. This one was just a bad motor as I fixed any corn getting into it two years ago

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Judd] #8729477 11/08/22 08:27 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

^^^ Creek's right, that is my experience too. I try to really pay attention and not get corn in the battery and timer box holder when filling and then I've put tape around the conduit to minimize the corn that gets in the box but it still occurs. I thought about taking a hole saw and drilling some drain holes but I figured a coon would start messing with wires. So I just drop the box once a year...

It’s not coming in from timer box, it’s where the electrical sq tubing goes through bottom varmint plate to motor box, just cut a little to big. Easy fix with HD duck tap or even foam

I love both my feeders.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8729486 11/08/22 08:44 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

It’s not coming in from timer box, it’s where the electrical sq tubing goes through bottom varmint plate to motor box, just cut a little to big. Easy fix with HD duck tap or even foam

I love both my feeders.

Mine is coming from both places...I know this because that square tubing was stuffed with corn, a straightened out hanger pushed from both sides cleared that tube out too.

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: Judd] #8729496 11/08/22 08:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I love both my feeders.

Mine is coming from both places...I know this because that square tubing was stuffed with corn, a straightened out hanger pushed from both sides cleared that tube out too.

Corn will get into the square tubing but wires running through it help keep it clogged and stopping majority from box, for the most part. As you said that’s a one second fix though

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: tchunter] #8729513 11/08/22 09:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Most deer surveyed say they would rather eat corn from the Ramball feeder than any other, including this one that I passed on three times last weekend. [Linked Image]

Re: Ramball Feeder question [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8729711 11/09/22 01:21 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Most deer surveyed say they would rather eat corn from the Ramball feeder than any other, including this one that I passed on three times last weekend. [Linked Image]

Dang, wish I had been in on that survey. I would of asked them about moon phase, when’s the rut, do they move in rain, do they know of any older spikes, do they REALLY know when opening day is, are they scared of a 223, and are they really not attracted to does when not in hard horn.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide