Forums46
Topics538,094
Posts9,732,930
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: BigPig] #8250230 04/27/21 10:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Old Shakie
I have done several lands sales without RE agents. Never had any problems. For peace of mind I did have lawyers to do their thing. When I have sold houses I use an agent because I don't care to deal with the "just lookers". Shop around......Some real estate agents will come off that 6% commission deal.

I know there is a point where lawyers fees are cheaper than realtor fees and there are some things a lawyer should be used for where a realtor shouldn’t. I’m curious of the sales price and attorney fees you paid. PM me if you want.

I had an attorney do some title work for me when we bought our place. He billed $800. How long does it take to do the paperwork? I bought my first house FSBO, I didnt have an agent either, The seller paid $500 to a broker he knew that did our paperwork, I dont remember it taking very long. Im sure he could have done the sales paperwork in less time than he spent on the title work. $800 is a hell of a lot less than 6% of a couple hundred thousand dollars.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250240 04/27/21 10:09 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
I would not use one and have sold 2 homes without the fee a Real Estate agents charge one was in 1998 and the other was 2012.

Win/win especially in today's market, word travels fast if you put a home FSBO.
No need for an agent, unless of course you cannot be at the showings...but a lot of buyers have no choice but to be more flexible due to demand.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: redchevy] #8250420 04/28/21 01:18 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by Old Shakie
I have done several lands sales without RE agents. Never had any problems. For peace of mind I did have lawyers to do their thing. When I have sold houses I use an agent because I don't care to deal with the "just lookers". Shop around......Some real estate agents will come off that 6% commission deal.

I know there is a point where lawyers fees are cheaper than realtor fees and there are some things a lawyer should be used for where a realtor shouldn’t. I’m curious of the sales price and attorney fees you paid. PM me if you want.

I had an attorney do some title work for me when we bought our place. He billed $800. How long does it take to do the paperwork? I bought my first house FSBO, I didnt have an agent either, The seller paid $500 to a broker he knew that did our paperwork, I dont remember it taking very long. Im sure he could have done the sales paperwork in less time than he spent on the title work. $800 is a hell of a lot less than 6% of a couple hundred thousand dollars.

If you paid an attorney to draft forms or do any work for you in property that you bought, then you over paid. Realtors get paid by the seller, the buyer should never pay a realtor.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250435 04/28/21 01:29 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I kept wondering when you would get on here and chime in. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250442 04/28/21 01:39 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
6% these days is BS. Homes sell so fast & @ such a high price that even 3% is overboard. A couple years ago I found a builder, worked out 90% of the process of him building for me & then told my realtor to finish it up. He came back & said he's not paying her 6% fee. I talked to her & she decided to do it for 1%. She stood to make $2,850 for about 3 hours worth of work. Hell of a deal for her!
With everything online now (MLS), realtors are getting away w/murder. When I buy a home I look online & find a few I want. Call the realtor to set a few showings for me. She spends a few hours showing me then turns in a couple offers. <10 hours of actual work & they make 10's of 1,000's of dollars.
I'm about to sell my house & I will not pay more than $5K for a realtor to sell it. No way in hell will I pay them ~$26K for <2 solid days work. F that!
I've bought & sold 5 of my personal homes in the last 15 years & none of them have taken much effort to buy or sell. A damn [censored] house rat can do it!

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: BigPig] #8250443 04/28/21 01:42 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
As property values have risen drastically and the availability of legitimate selling information is available to all prospective buyers, there is no way that traditional 3% commissions for both the listing and buying agent should exist. When a house used to be $150,000, 3% was $4500 each for each agent. Now that figure has gone up by 3x or more in many instances. And that doesn't factor in the amount of leg work done by the prospective buyers to limit the amount time spent by the agent driving around and finding houses for them.

3 things:

1) not all of that $4500 goes into the agents pocket, they all have splits with their broker that holds their license, in a lot of cases it could be 30-50%.

If you're paying 30-50% to your broker; you need a new broker.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250450 04/28/21 01:46 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
You’re still paying 3% to buyers agent.

I’ve been trying to understand why it’s so complicated to buy and real estate? I think they make it complicated to justify all the fees.

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 04/28/21 01:48 AM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: TexFlip] #8250488 04/28/21 02:50 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
As property values have risen drastically and the availability of legitimate selling information is available to all prospective buyers, there is no way that traditional 3% commissions for both the listing and buying agent should exist. When a house used to be $150,000, 3% was $4500 each for each agent. Now that figure has gone up by 3x or more in many instances. And that doesn't factor in the amount of leg work done by the prospective buyers to limit the amount time spent by the agent driving around and finding houses for them.

3 things:

1) not all of that $4500 goes into the agents pocket, they all have splits with their broker that holds their license, in a lot of cases it could be 30-50%.

If you're paying 30-50% to your broker; you need a new broker.

Trust me, I’ve shopped around an I have it pretty good. I don’t pay a desk fee that I’ll never use, I don’t pay a percentage of office supplies I’ll never use, I don't pay a royalty fee every year, but lots of people do because they want the name brand recognition of KW or Ebby or Century 21 or others.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8250493 04/28/21 02:54 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
You’re still paying 3% to buyers agent.

I’ve been trying to understand why it’s so complicated to buy and real estate? I think they make it complicated to justify all the fees.

You're thinking title companies. What a racquet! realmad

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250507 04/28/21 03:18 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Agents and brokers and lawyers can all be necessary at some point. Ever have an offer to buy a house accepted by a person (daughter) who listed a house they don't own? And when the actual owner (father of the daughter, who didn't even know his house was for sale!) got involved things didn't get better as it wasn't in his name but a trust of his which he didn't have. An absolute mess. But, with help from smart people I got it for my originally accepted offer. Though the process was a nightmare. The kicker - the house was only two years old. Daughter moved in when construction was complete, lived there one year and moved out. It sat empty for almost about eight months before she listed it. I could go on but that's the nuts and bolts.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250513 04/28/21 03:28 AM
T
TBS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I personally will not use a real estate agent if I am given the choice. I have purchased two homes and bought some property. The easiest one I’ve ever done was for sale by owner. I negotiated the price with the owner, met him at a title company where we both signed the papers at the same time. Easiest transaction I’ve ever had. The two times I have dealt with a real estate agent were much more difficult than they had to be. Closing on the house kept getting delayed due to one real estate agent, and another time the real estate agent was just difficult to deal with. There’s 6% commission is a total joke. No, they are not necessary today.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250516 04/28/21 03:35 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I retired, gave my realtor the keys and moved out of my home to my ranch. My realtor hired a deep cleaner and a carpet cleaner and put it on the MLS. It showed 16 times and it sold for 11 grand over the asking price which was highly inflated to begin with. My realtor and a mobile closer drove to my ranch 70 miles from DFW and it was funded in 5 hours. If a person wants to mess with the complications of a FSBO and the chances of epic fail between the contract and closing dates, then have at it and good luck to you. I don't have time for silly crap like that.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8250522 04/28/21 03:42 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I retired, gave my realtor the keys and moved out of my home to my ranch. My realtor hired a deep cleaner and a carpet cleaner and put it on the MLS. It showed 16 times and it sold for 11 grand over the asking price which was highly inflated to begin with. My realtor and a mobile closer drove to my ranch 70 miles from DFW and it was funded in 5 hours. If a person wants to mess with the complications of a FSBO and the chances of epic fail between the contract and closing dates, then have at it and good luck to you. I don't have time for silly crap like that.

Its proven that most FSBO's sell for less than properties that are listed with an Agent. That is a proven fact. Most homeowners don't have access to the same comps and information that Agents have and with home sales, most FSBO's leave money on the table, oftentimes more than enough to cover the cost of the Selling Agents commission.

The Average homeowner is not savvy enough to perform a sale at the same level of performance as a seasoned Agent. Some certainly can, most can't. A Person who has sold 2-3 homes themselves is not seasoned, a good agent can sell that in a Week. The dealing with showings, inspections, negotiations, etc.....all fall on the Sellers shoulders and that is where a lot of the value of the Agent lies.

As far as commission splits, they are always negotiable but remember, you get what you pay for.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8250525 04/28/21 03:51 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Its proven that most FSBO's sell for less than properties that are listed with an Agent. That is a proven fact. Most homeowners don't have access to the same comps and information that Agents have and with home sales, most FSBO's leave money on the table, oftentimes more than enough to cover the cost of the Selling Agents commission.

The Average homeowner is not savvy enough to perform a sale at the same level of performance as a seasoned Agent. Some certainly can, most can't. A Person who has sold 2-3 homes themselves is not seasoned, a good agent can sell that in a Week. The dealing with showings, inspections, negotiations, etc.....all fall on the Sellers shoulders and that is where a lot of the value of the Agent lies.

As far as commission splits, they are always negotiable but remember, you get what you pay for.

Yep. FSBO folks think they can win, but they don't know anything about the market, how to get the most money for a property, all the horrible things that can go wrong in a real estate transaction and how to prevent them from occurring. They remind me of people who represent themselves in court on a criminal case to save money. That typically doesn't work out real well either.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: TBS] #8250527 04/28/21 03:55 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TBS
I personally will not use a real estate agent if I am given the choice. I have purchased two homes and bought some property. The easiest one I’ve ever done was for sale by owner. I negotiated the price with the owner, met him at a title company where we both signed the papers at the same time. Easiest transaction I’ve ever had. The two times I have dealt with a real estate agent were much more difficult than they had to be. Closing on the house kept getting delayed due to one real estate agent, and another time the real estate agent was just difficult to deal with. There’s 6% commission is a total joke. No, they are not necessary today.

I can guanratee you it wasn’t the Realtor’s that were delaying the transactions, they are just the ones that have to deal with passing along the news and completing the necessary paper work to keep the contract legal. When it’s getting close to closing date, it’s 75% of the time the lender. Title companies usually have their work done within a week or 2 after receiving the contract, unless there are clouds on the title they have to clear.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250532 04/28/21 04:03 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
These people say they'll do ~95% of what a real estate agent does, including MLS listings & showing services, for $1,295.
https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Anybody ever use one of these flat rate fee companies before?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250534 04/28/21 04:05 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
When you have good agents in your corner I see is as a benefit. I see plenty of dumb agents too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Bee'z] #8250535 04/28/21 04:07 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 2Beez
When you have good agents in your corner I see is as a benefit. I see plenty of dumb agents too.

There are dumb in every profession.....dumb cops, dumb attorneys, dumb doctors, dumb engineers, dumb teachers, dumb painters, dumb electricians.....you get the point

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: LFD2037] #8250539 04/28/21 04:16 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by LFD2037
These people say they'll do ~95% of what a real estate agent does, including MLS listings & showing services, for $1,295.
https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Anybody ever use one of these flat rate fee companies before?

There is a reason you don’t see more of them. And that’s not 95% of what a Realtor does, they are doing maybe 5%

I also like how they advertise that it will be listed on Zillow, Realtor, Trullia. etc. that costs nothing and is simply a click of the button to allow syndicated companies to take your listing off MLS and post it to their site.

Last edited by BigPig; 04/28/21 04:27 AM.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8250540 04/28/21 04:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

There are dumb in every profession.....dumb cops, dumb attorneys, dumb doctors, dumb engineers, dumb teachers, dumb painters, dumb electricians.....you get the point

I am an appraiser so you hate me from the word go. I get it. I see it all and call it like I see it. It is what it is.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8250541 04/28/21 04:22 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Most real estate agents wash out after 2-3 years, just like insurance sales agents and new car salesmen. They sell all their family and friends and then run out of business. Mine has been doing it for 18 years which is why I chose her.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Bee'z] #8250544 04/28/21 04:25 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I am an appraiser so you hate me from the word go. I get it. I see it all and call it like I see it. It is what it is.

I don’t hate appraisers. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship I have with appraisers.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8250546 04/28/21 04:28 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

I don’t hate appraisers. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship I have with appraisers.

I really don’t either, there’s only 2, Josh and the [censored] that appraised my house

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250574 04/28/21 09:45 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Last fall on my most recent purchase, my realtor saved me $62,500 from a price I had already verbally agreed to with the seller - true fact. This is in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country. I coulda made it all work well with the price I had verbally agreed to. Working a whole lots better now.

Choose them wisely. Realtors should know the market and perform a service. I despise dealing with tire kickers.

Lots of rocket surgeons on here. Too many will try to shave off dollars here and there becoming ignorantly willing to do themselves greater financial harm.

Edit - I work. I do not fix my own vehicles. I spend a lot of time & attention on my avocation which allows me little access to being a jack of other and most certainly of all trades. Some of yous can do it, but you may be better equipped than myself or just have more expendable time.

Last edited by Hudbone; 04/28/21 10:29 AM.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250623 04/28/21 11:40 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just saw a TV commercial advertising a 2% commission. I'd prefer that Cathy would sell mine after I expire.

"2% Commissions | Save $1000s - Sell Your Home | 2% Commission
Sell Your Home - Top 1% Local Real Estate Agents. Save Thousands In Commissions Today. Skip The Unwanted Stress Of Selling Your Home - Get As Low As 2% In Commissions Today. Save $10,000's. A+ BBB Rating. Best Local Realtors. Top 1% of Agents. Save 1000s. Easy, 100% Free Service."

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide