Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894055 07/08/20 01:08 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Seems folks are always asking others to make their decisions today.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894070 07/08/20 01:19 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I still recall back in the 70-80s, the ranch foreman of a large ranch (for the area) had a championship bloodline Airedale (ranch owner's dog that took up with the foreman) would carry that dog everywhere he went, everyone around town knew "Prince" from the various coffee shops, drug stores, feed stores, etc. He was a very solid cow working machine as well. One day the foreman was driving thru the pasture when Prince launched out of the back of the truck, passed the truck and jumped on a nanny Spanish goat, killing her, then took off for another one and drug her down. The foreman was forced to pull out his old beat up .222 and shot Prince on the spot. Yes, I was riding in the truck with him and was in total shock as Prince was by his side all the time. When I asked WTHeck, he said "once they get blood in their mouth, they won't stop killing, it had to be done" ... He loaded Prince in the bed of his truck, took him home and buried him in the yard. The LO understood and later got another Airedale, that also took up with the foreman.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894079 07/08/20 01:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Back when I was growing up in the late 50's and 60's, in every rural ranch town you would see pickups with gun racks and rifles in those gun racks, even in the town square where they would go to the courthouse, park out by the curb and go inside to handle business.
Those guns were used not just for coyotes, but to protect their investment from anyone or anything.
We have become too soft over the years.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: fishdfly] #7894113 07/08/20 01:49 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by fishdfly

Hey, the guy is just asking for input, for all that have suggested this guy is soft, or city (like that's some kind of insult) or can't make his own decisions, seriously, vilifying a guy for asking for input.

To the original poster, I say this is a tough issue, especially for a new landowner, probably absentee, that has to balance neighbor relationships, which is one of the most important values of people who really are "country" or solid, as opposed to soft. That being said, both sets of advice, going through law enforcement or just handling it are sound and good on you for getting input, so that you can and will make your own decision and take your own action.

Last edited by mickeyhft; 07/08/20 01:50 PM.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: mickeyhft] #7894177 07/08/20 02:42 PM
M
Mfloski Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mickeyhft

Hey, the guy is just asking for input, for all that have suggested this guy is soft, or city (like that's some kind of insult) or can't make his own decisions, seriously, vilifying a guy for asking for input.

To the original poster, I say this is a tough issue, especially for a new landowner, probably absentee, that has to balance neighbor relationships, which is one of the most important values of people who really are "country" or solid, as opposed to soft. That being said, both sets of advice, going through law enforcement or just handling it are sound and good on you for getting input, so that you can and will make your own decision and take your own action.

Thanks man, I appreciate you seeing my post for what it was. Didn’t expect all the “hard old timers” to get so tough pounding out replays sitting behind their keyboards and monitors.....I am sure if asked in person, responses would have been different. Believe the ability to be so hard is easy when not standing in front of people having a good ole conversation........man we sure are tough these days.

Free men own guns...Slaves don't!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894182 07/08/20 02:46 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’ll just leave this right here.

[Linked Image]
confused2

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894186 07/08/20 02:48 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mfloski

Thanks man, I appreciate you seeing my post for what it was. Didn’t expect all the “hard old timers” to get so tough pounding out replays sitting behind their keyboards and monitors.....I am sure if asked in person, responses would have been different. Believe the ability to be so hard is easy when not standing in front of people having a good ole conversation........man we sure are tough these days.

....”hard old timers” eek2
Seems there’s a lot you don’t know about, in more ways than one.
Carry on

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: majekman] #7894193 07/08/20 02:51 PM
M
Mfloski Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by majekman

....”hard old timers” eek2
Seems there’s a lot you don’t know about, in more ways than one.
Carry on

Yep, there is a lot I don’t know, despite being on God’s green earth for 42 yrs.....isn’t that kinda the point of forum discussions....to learn from others? Maybe I am dumb on this too.......

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894199 07/08/20 02:56 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

I will tell anyone to their face what I do to dogs on my property. Be it anyone on here or a GW or any LEO. I have been all through the asking LEOs and even the owners of dogs. LEO's tell me to handle it. The dog owners deny it was their dogs. So now if I see a dog on my property it is either dead or well shot at.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: don k] #7894219 07/08/20 03:11 PM
M
Mfloski Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by don k
I will tell anyone to their face what I do to dogs on my property. Be it anyone on here or a GW or any LEO. I have been all through the asking LEOs and even the owners of dogs. LEO's tell me to handle it. The dog owners deny it was their dogs. So now if I see a dog on my property it is either dead or well shot at.

rifle clap

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894222 07/08/20 03:13 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Everyone’s a keyboard warrior, some better’n others. 99.99% of the time, I will only write something I’m willing to say to their face, especially if I don’t know that person. But I’ll joke 100% of the time up

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894240 07/08/20 03:26 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
To me there is a difference between wildlife and livestock.
Also a difference between a neighbors pet and feral or dumped & abandoned dogs.

Good neighbors & pet owners control or contain their pets, even in rural environments.
If you force me to control your pet that is human aggressive or chasing / harassing my livestock on my property I will, my method is permanent.
If there is a problem I take the dog home, explain the situation, in no uncertain terms tell them what will happen if the dog returns to chase or harass livestock.

I have neighbors with dogs that wonder our property, do no harm, chase nothing but the occasional rabbit, squirrel, swim in the ponds, come visit in a very friendly manner.
I wouldn't shoot those dogs for doing what dogs do.

Livestock, wildlife chasing or human aggressive feral or dumped abandoned dogs don't get the same consideration.

If the dog owner contains or controls their dogs there won't be any problems, if you force me to do it, I will, my way.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894283 07/08/20 03:57 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
SSS

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894359 07/08/20 04:48 PM
W
Whammer7 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
W
I believe that education is the key to any situation.

Have you tried to counsel the dogs? Do they understand how hurtful their conduct is to the deer and those who witness such behavior? Perhaps you could enroll them in a good 12 step program to help them correct their behavior.

On all of my feeders i have posted "TANSTAAFL" This stands for There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. I figure that it stands as a warning to all literate deer and hogs who use those facilities, therefore I am only shooting the illiterate deer and hogs.

I'm all about fair warnings

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894408 07/08/20 05:18 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

And by the law, there is. You/I don't own the wildlife. The State does. You/I do own the livestock.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Whammer7] #7894410 07/08/20 05:19 PM
M
Mfloski Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Whammer7

Have you tried to counsel the dogs? Do they understand how hurtful their conduct is to the deer and those who witness such behavior? Perhaps you could enroll them in a good 12 step program to help them correct their behavior.

On all of my feeders i have posted "TANSTAAFL" This stands for There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. I figure that it stands as a warning to all literate deer and hogs who use those facilities, therefore I am only shooting the illiterate deer and hogs.

Dead lol

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894415 07/08/20 05:24 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Whammer7

Dead lol

roflmao roflmao roflmao Dang that's funny!

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: mickeyhft] #7894448 07/08/20 05:45 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Well said, lots of this nonsense like that going on lately on this board.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894526 07/08/20 06:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

No tuff guy talk here bud lol. Been down that road of asking around for the owner etc, and then later having fingers pointed at me. I don't like shooting dogs.
up

Do what you think is right. If I know who the dogs belong to I'll talk to the owner first, of course. Big difference between that and aggressive feral dogs like we have at times. We even had one of them chase one of our guys up into the bucket of a tractor while he was taking a leak. He didn't have his pistol on him and that dog kept him in that bucket for over an hour, showing teeth/growling, he wasn't playing. Sure wish people would be more responsible and stop dumping them, can't blame the dogs for trying to survive but not putting up with them either.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894591 07/08/20 07:38 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894596 07/08/20 07:39 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Never ask a question you do not want a blunt answer to.

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: fishdfly] #7894682 07/08/20 09:10 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M

Never ask a question you do not want a blunt answer to.

That's not a blunt answer, it is a statement. And its type of statement is a judgement. I know, this thinking and communication stuff is hard, but keep experimenting and maybe you can get better at it.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7894753 07/08/20 09:59 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A man’s gotta do ...you know the line. And I have...on occasion...and will again if necessary. At least that’s what my friend says.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7895337 07/09/20 02:44 PM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

And by the law, there is. You/I don't own the wildlife. The State does. You/I do own the livestock.

this cannot be pointed out enough

with DOMESTICATED LIVESTOCK what the owner can do is much different than wild game

IE the owner can defend the health and safety of their DOMESTIC LIVESTOCK after they have made prior notification of the dogs attacking their animals

with wild game that will never be the case (unless the law changes)

Re: Dogs chasing deer [Re: Mfloski] #7895390 07/09/20 03:22 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
So, I recently purchased my dream, 80+acres of isolated east Texas land and built my house / shop. My house sits atop a hill overlooking a 40ac hayfield. Every night I watch deer in my field, occasional coyote and just busted two pigs and had fresh pork loin cooked over the 4th. However, somewhere nearby someone owns two German Shepard’s and weekly I catch them chasing deer (not a guess I literally see the deer and the dogs chasing on it’s heels). It infuriates me. I don’t know who the owners are, or I would consider “confronting” them. I have small kids that play outside and this is a bit unsettling. I think but am not sure they they might have tracking collars on them.

What’s is the Texas law about handling this and everyone’s off the record about handling it????

No tough talk, or trying to hurt anyone's feelings or pounding a chest.
The OP asked "what is everyone's off the record about handling it????"
Seems he asked, and if you ask, you leave yourself open to whatever answer you get whether you like the answer or not! You ask for free advise you just have to pick through the weeds.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide