Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731340 01/28/20 09:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Most areas of Texas have to many deer now so the tags won't change.They could make it all start first part of October for any weapon. You still have to buy a hunting license and an archery stamp, nothing changes there. They could give Youth Hunter the last weekend in Sept. Or they could also make all of Oct Youth Only and the rest of the weapons have to wait till first of Nov. then stop the season the 3rd Sunday in Jan for the whole state. Make everyone buy a hunting license with an archery stamp, rifle stamp, shotgun stamp, crossbow stamp, airgun stamp and muzzleloader stamp. hammer
Or just make everyone buy the combo license with an include in the price.... archery stamp, rifle stamp, shotgun stamp, crossbow stamp, airgun stamp, muzzleloader stamp, duck stamp, goose stamp, turkey stamp, quail stamp, dove stamp, sandhill crane stamp, small game stamp, hog stamp, varmint stamp..... hammer Just stamp the chit out of everybody. I get a combo license now so adding another $100 worth of the new stamps should not be an issue. grin
County regs control what and how many you can kill now for deer. Another lease in another county is still going to have limits to that county or your number of tags on your license.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: redchevy] #7731347 01/28/20 10:04 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by Grizz
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

But we don’t all have the same opportunities. Bow hunters get an extra month.

You have the same opportunity to be a bow hunter as all other hunters. That's my point.

The rest of our point is why is there a bow season in the first place? I must have missed the 11th commandment that said there shall be an archery season before general season.

I was just responding to his post which only dealt with opportunity. As far as the longer season, I got into archery in the late '80's and it was that way back then so it pre-dates my involvement. I can only speak for myself, but I do it for the challenge more than the extra month. If the state does away with the extra month for bow season this year I'll still bow hunt.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: RJH1] #7731380 01/28/20 10:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by RJH1
Is deer season over for some? I feel like we have had this discussion before.

I have always been in favor of 1 season for bow rifle etc. all combined. You want to accept the challenge of bow hunting? Then go right ahead, step up to the plate and do so without a special season. I picked up bow hunting on properties I wasn't allowed to hunt bow season on, I still bow hunt because I like it, same as why I use an iron sight shotgun with slugs or smoke pole or pistol or iron sight lever gun.

While this sounds good at first, i will tell you why you don't want it to happen and why it won't happen.

1 if you extend rifle season an extra month, and remember that rifles have a 40 to 50% success rate vs 10 of bows, overall tag allowances will drop. There is a finite amount of deer and putting an extra month at 40 to 50% success rate could very well tip the balance so that everybody's tag numbers drop. That's why you may not want to do that after you think about it.

2 the reason it won't happen is income. In a post up a few someone mentioned that there were seven hundred thousand Bowhunters in Texas, multiply that by a $7 stamp and doesn't that come up to 4.9 million dollars in income to the state? Not to mention all the extra taxes that people pay for bows, arrows, broadheads, targets, Etc. That is why the state will not do away with bow season, and another reason we may not want it done away with. If bow season was done away with the state is going to have to make up that income somehow, probably by raising fees on all licenses.

Neither of those is valid. As STX posted, the tags already need to be increased in some areas. Have you dealt with MLD? They come out and tell you to shoot darn near everything in sight. The 1st year my friend went MLD on 3500 acres, they had to take 83 animals. They'd been taking 10-12. Texas is heavily populated with deer.

You did the math wrong on #2, there are roughly 75-100k bowhunters. You can easily increase the hunting license prices to offset the bow-stamp loss of less than $1 million. You could even still require the stamp, then you don't get any revenue loss. Most likely, the few people that stop buying bow equipment will spend a lot of those dollars on other hunting items. so you'll still get tax revenue on sporting goods sales.

Additionally, if more people are successful, that could boost the economy/tax revenue by employing a few more people at processors that suddenly have an extra month of lucrative business.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731409 01/28/20 11:02 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
We should have a crossbow only season. The vertical bow purist tell me that the cross bow is for those less skilled at archery so I think its only fair if we get a 2 week season all to ourselves prior to the vertical bow gods hitting the woods and wounding everything in sight. stir

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731422 01/28/20 11:19 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This whole thing is actually becoming very stupid. A land owner did not want archery hunting on his property. He owns the property. He makes the rules. He did not say why he does not want it. Maybe he has trouble before. Maybe the bow hunters are Italians. Maybe the bow hunters are Germans. Maybe the bow hunters are Mexicans. Maybe the bow hunters are Gay or Transvestites. If he says why he does not allow it then he discriminating on a certain group. And if you read the news that seems to be blown out of proportion. If you lease a place you know what you can and cannot do. Leave it at that.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: don k] #7731429 01/28/20 11:33 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by don k
This whole thing is actually becoming very stupid. A land owner did not want archery hunting on his property. He owns the property. He makes the rules. He did not say why he does not want it. Maybe he has trouble before. Maybe the bow hunters are Italians. Maybe the bow hunters are Germans. Maybe the bow hunters are Mexicans. Maybe the bow hunters are Gay or Transvestites. If he says why he does not allow it then he discriminating on a certain group. And if you read the news that seems to be blown out of proportion. If you lease a place you know what you can and cannot do. Leave it at that.

Makes too much sense. More fun to argue cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txshntr] #7731461 01/29/20 12:02 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txshntr
Originally Posted by don k

Makes too much sense. More fun to argue cheers

Staying on point in a conversation is lame! roflmao

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731606 01/29/20 01:45 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
watch a tv show . even the professionals cant recover a deer the same day

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: ChrisB] #7731749 01/29/20 04:51 AM
M
MR5Hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I'd be willing to bet that rifles wound WAY more deer every year in Texas than bows.

All the bowhunters I know practice and shoot year round

Last edited by MR5Hunter; 01/29/20 04:55 AM.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Grizz] #7731767 01/29/20 05:55 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

You have the same opportunity to be a bow hunter as all other hunters. That's my point.

I realize that’s your point.

So what if women got an extra month of deer hunting? You have the “opportunity” to become a woman, so does that make it fair?

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731815 01/29/20 12:30 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Bow hunting has always been my passion until I hurt my shoulder. We didn't mind Xbows. When we hunt we slip out to the stand with very little noise, set and slip down after dark. The woods are not disturbed, with gun hunters across the fence ride around on four wheelers shoot just about every thing and spoil our short season.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: maximus_flavius] #7731817 01/29/20 12:41 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

So what if women got an extra month of deer hunting? You have the “opportunity” to become a woman, so does that make it fair?

maximus Really hammer If Grizz did identify as a woman would you find him/her attractive roflmao

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Stub] #7731843 01/29/20 01:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Stub

maximus Really hammer If Grizz did identify as a woman would you find him/her attractive roflmao

How big are his moobs?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: JCB] #7731844 01/29/20 01:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by JCB
We should have a crossbow only season. The vertical bow purist tell me that the cross bow is for those less skilled at archery so I think its only fair if we get a 2 week season all to ourselves prior to the vertical bow gods hitting the woods and wounding everything in sight. stir

I like it lol

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731857 01/29/20 01:52 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Come on man, I've read enough of your posts to know you're much smarter than that. Comparing buying a bow and learning to use it to changing your gender doesn't even rise to the level of an invalid argument. That's not even apples to oranges, more like apples to onions. Giving people an extra month of hunting if they buy and use a certain type of hunting equipment in not inherently wrong, your scenario is (and a violation of federal law). My comment wasn't even addressing whether it's "fair" or not, just the grade school comment about bow hunters being the "favorites". Nothing more, nothing less. To your point, I don't see it as unfair, but if Texas did away with it this year I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over it. I also didn't see it as unfair before I started bow hunting because I knew if I wanted that extra month all I had to do was buy a bow and start practicing.

Connecting your statement back to the original topic, I'm pretty sure more land owners would not allow bow hunting if we showed up wearing beards and mini skirts. roflmao

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: redchevy] #7731861 01/29/20 02:01 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub

How big are his moobs?

This conversation has taken a very uncomfortable turn. I feel I'm much more than just a sex object!

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731867 01/29/20 02:07 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I don't allow Dodges on my property.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731868 01/29/20 02:07 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Choctaw] #7731870 01/29/20 02:09 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Then how do you get your truck out when it's stuck? peep

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Grizz] #7731883 01/29/20 02:20 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Then how do you get your truck out when it's stuck? peep

I would probably call another Ford owner to pull my truck and the Dodge out (since the Dodge would have dropped its transmission). roflmao

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731886 01/29/20 02:24 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
As a land owner, I'd rather have a seasoned bow hunter on my small acreage than a rifle hunter. I've had more bad experiences with rifle hunters shooting the wrong deer than bow hunters losing deer. I personally use both bow and firearm but prefer bow hunting because I'm close enough to the animal to be sure of what I'm shooting. Binoculars and spotting scopes sure can add inches to a set of antlers.(I was young once) Not to mention that some folks get a little excited and over confident on the distance they can shoot with a rifle and against better judgement make iffy shots.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7731889 01/29/20 02:25 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I can say I have never hunted on the property of a ford owner, not that it matters. Every property I leased has been a GM owner. Even our property was GM up till I convinced dad to buy a cummins lol

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: redchevy] #7731891 01/29/20 02:26 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I can say I have never hunted on the property of a ford owner, not that it matters. Every property I leased has been a GM owner. Even our property was GM up till I convinced dad to buy a cummins lol

That's racist! (That's right, I played THAT card).

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: hook_n_line] #7731897 01/29/20 02:31 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
As a land owner, I'd rather have a seasoned bow hunter on my small acreage than a rifle hunter. I've had more bad experiences with rifle hunters shooting the wrong deer than bow hunters losing deer. I personally use both bow and firearm but prefer bow hunting because I'm close enough to the animal to be sure of what I'm shooting. Binoculars and spotting scopes sure can add inches to a set of antlers.(I was young once) Not to mention that some folks get a little excited and over confident on the distance they can shoot with a rifle and against better judgement make iffy shots.

There is a lot of truth in this statement. This is the basis for a lot of ground shrinkage. I've fallen victim to it myself.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: redchevy] #7731898 01/29/20 02:31 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

It’s odd but most landowners I know drive GM as well.

Never thought of it before but it’s an accurate observation. I know of one or two that drive ford and 3 offhand that drive Toyota’s but most drive GM

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide