Print Thread
Supplemental Feed Research #73522 07/07/06 01:43 PM
P
PHishTX Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Though some of ya'll might find this interesting.

June 30, 2006
Supplemental Deer Feeding Can Reduce Rangeland Quality
Writer: Paul Schattenberg, 210-467-6575,paschattenberg@ag.tamu.edu

(conclusion)....."However, evidence of browsing on the seedlings showed all the deer in the study concentrated their foraging around sites where supplemental feed was available. This was true even when there was ample green forage material throughout their habitat.

"This means there is the potential for over-browsing of palatable plants near feeders and the failure of seedlings to establish," Cooper said. "That may lead to zones of forage depletion around the feeders. So we must caution against long-term supplemental feeding in fixed locations because of the potential for range degradation."

Landowners who provide supplemental feed to deer should observe the level of browsing on favored plants near feeders, Cooper said. If heavy use is noticed, feeder locations should be altered periodically to avoid possible forage degradation near them.
"

Full Article

Phish-TX

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: PHishTX] #73523 07/07/06 01:51 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Looks interesting, but my machine won't pull up the full article. One question, was this study done on a low fence free range property, or on a high fence property, with possibly a high deer population for the size of the study area?

Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: Crazyhorse] #73524 07/07/06 02:02 PM
P
PHishTX Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Maybe it will work this way,

http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/WFSC/Jun3006a.htm

It doesn't say if it is high fenced. Just references the Harris Ranch in Uvalde.

Phish-TX

Phish-TX

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: PHishTX] #73525 07/07/06 02:13 PM
B
BowStalker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
My computer wont pull it up either. But I just have to throw in my 2 cents here. We have land that has been family owend and hunted for as long as I can remember. I'm 38 by the way. I've seen feeders work a local for 5 ,6 , 7 , 8 years..before being replaced or moved. True enough the area around the feeders were well trimmed but once the feeder was moved or gone .. I look back now and bet you could never tell where some of the old feeders once been.But the wild game trails are still there.

I think for the time the feeders there , Yes there will be a depleation in the area foliage . but once gone...nature will take care of its self.
I have land in hondo that I got cheap.15 years ago they stripped it for ceder. 10 acres .. not a tree in sight..Come 2006 I have 25 to 35 foot high oaks and ceder all over the place. beautiful clearings here and there, tall grass in every clearing.

so I guess in short is that I dont belive the damage is long term. JMO

Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: BowStalker] #73526 07/08/06 05:22 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
well DUH!!!! Where the deer spend more time there will be more eaten!!! Maybe I need some research funds to find out if there is more deer droppings in the same area!

Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: txbobcat] #73527 07/11/06 03:19 AM
C
CoolHand Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
What needs to be pointed out is that suplemental feeding DECREASES foraging pressure as a whole - even if it intensifies near the feed stations. Also, foraging will be heavier near what ever the choice food source is at the time be it corn, protein pellets, food plots, or a natural stand of something they are crazy about like bundleflower or acorns. So on a well managed ranch it is a non issue, because the pressure is spread out. On the contrary, in a poor habitat, where the deer really need the supplement, the effect described in the study would be magnified.

Re: Supplemental Feed Research [Re: CoolHand] #73528 07/11/06 12:57 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Quote:

What needs to be pointed out is that suplemental feeding DECREASES foraging pressure as a whole - even if it intensifies near the feed stations. Also, foraging will be heavier near what ever the choice food source is at the time be it corn, protein pellets, food plots, or a natural stand of something they are crazy about like bundleflower or acorns. So on a well managed ranch it is a non issue, because the pressure is spread out. On the contrary, in a poor habitat, where the deer really need the supplement, the effect described in the study would be magnified.

Very good point indeed on how supplemental feeding reduces the amount of pressure on the overall range! Maybe they can spend a few hundred thousand dollars on that as their next quality piece of research!

I'd also say that on ranches that are already over-grazed and in bad shape to begin with, over-grazed areas around feeders should be the last issue to worry about!

IMO This was a very stupid, wasteful study to begin with. I would think that the money allocated for research would be spent on something that would actually benefit the ranchers and managers a little more than a common knowledge fact that these people came up with!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide